PDA

View Full Version : Quandry... what would YOU do?

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2017, 09:43 AM
OK... so... my daughter turns 21 on Thursday. Wife wants to take her out for dinner and margaritas on Thursday as her first "legit" drink. Zags tip... 7:40 PM.

Ummm... ummmmm... help!?!?!?!?

*Note wife is not un-sympathetic... but I feel I have to do the right thing.

SWZag
03-20-2017, 09:46 AM
OK... so... my daughter turns 21 on Thursday. Wife wants to take her out for dinner and margaritas on Thursday as her first "legit" drink. Zags tip... 7:40 PM.

Tell her that alcohol is overrated and life is better enjoyed sober. Oh, and that it will be better to go out on Friday night anyway.

GoZags
03-20-2017, 09:49 AM

Family first.

But ... make sure the place you go (sports bar/restaurant) will have the game on.

U Zig, I Zag
03-20-2017, 09:49 AM
My initial thought was to suggest that you just abandon your family. We are your real family, here. But that's a bit extreme.

So... perhaps do something early, make sure she has got some chaperones and then leave. You may be the coolest dad ever, but most kids want a 21-run with their pals.

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2017, 09:52 AM
My initial thought was to suggest that you just abandon your family. We are your real family, here. But that's a bit extreme.

So... perhaps do something early, make sure she has got some chaperones and then leave. You may be the coolest dad ever, but most kids want a 21-run with their pals.

I'm leaning toward suggesting a place with TVs... or a pass on having my head in my phone from time to time.

Note... my son and my daughter to a lesser extent... are Zag fans.

jazzdelmar
03-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Tape it, stay away from the phone and the board (always a good idea on game day anyway) and enjoy rolling through the unending commercials, timeouts and garbled analysis by the CBS pantheon.......

jazzdelmar
03-20-2017, 09:55 AM
I'm leaning toward suggesting a place with TVs... or a pass on having my head in my phone from time to time.

Note... my son and my daughter to a lesser extent... are Zag fans.

Noo,,bad idea....Worst of both worlds....Just DVR it....The outcome won't be affected if you don't watch it live, trust me....Maybe an earlier dinner, say 5:30, and then you can roll the first half and watch the 2nd half live, as it were..

Just TIME SHIFT, man.

RenoZag
03-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Early dinner out, dessert and beverages at home in time for the Zags game ??

Otherwise: DVR it and don't go to a place with TV's etc. She's only going to turn 21 once and it won't be long before she's celebrating her birthdays elsewhere. Give her her night. There will be other nights and other games for the Zags.

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Tape it, stay away from the phone and the board (always a good idea on game day anyway) and enjoy rolling through the unending commercials, timeouts and garbled analysis by the CBS pantheon.......

Think this is the winner... also need to kill my phone so ESPN doesn't ruin it for me.

TexasZagFan
03-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Big D's got a soccer game that coincides with the start time of the Zags. I'm now opting for DVR'ing it, and head to Wild Wings or a similar venue after his game. I'll check with his mom.

Zagceo
03-20-2017, 09:59 AM
surprise her with tickets to SAP Center on Thursday .....game will be over by 7pm then go out for dinner and drinks

gozagswoohoo
03-20-2017, 10:00 AM
My initial thought was to suggest that you just abandon your family.

I mean....I think this is the obvious choice?!?! :roll:

jazzdelmar
03-20-2017, 10:02 AM
Think this is the winner... also need to kill my phone so ESPN doesn't ruin it for me.

Ur welcome, invoice on the way.... I have done this and it's really fun......CBB is a GREAT game sans commercials, garbled Kellogg and the 400 pounders who flank him much like Scylla and Charybdis...

scrooner
03-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Don't talk to ANYBODY while you're out. I was camping with the Boy Scouts on the weekend of the BYU game, far away from society, but recording the game at home. On the drive back, within MINUTES of picking up a signal, some kid in the back just blurts out, "wow, can't believe Gonzaga lost".

At least I was spared watching the game.

jazzdelmar
03-20-2017, 10:09 AM
Don't talk to ANYBODY while you're out. I was camping with the Boy Scouts on the weekend of the BYU game, far away from society, but recording the game at home. On the drive back, within MINUTES of picking up a signal, some kid in the back just blurts out, "wow, can't believe Gonzaga lost".

At least I was spared watching the game.

Our man is in the NYC area.....Trust me, no one is gonna yell out anything for Gonzaga.......Maybe for Mets spring training, but not GU

Hoopaholic
03-20-2017, 10:10 AM

morning breakfast at your local irish pub .......nothing better to kick off your 21rst birthday with a special "everything skillet with extra topping of bog butter and side of smoked pigeon", flushing it down with couple glass of Guiness.......her day will be forever remembered

MontanaCoyote
03-20-2017, 10:23 AM
Ann Landers here. All of the above. Just take you pick.

sittingon50
03-20-2017, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=LongIslandZagFan;1304218]I'm leaning toward suggesting a place with TVs... QUOTE]

& TV dinners. Swanson. Chicken or Turkey.

thespywhozaggedme
03-20-2017, 10:30 AM
DVR is your friend, it's gotten me outta a lot of jams with the wife and girls. Just make sure not to accidentally hear the score anywhere.

Zags11
03-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Take her out. Zags will be here forever (good or bad) but she will never turn 21 again.

Or, take her to San Jose. ;)

Bowser
03-20-2017, 10:58 AM
I am assuming you would rather not have my answer.

MickMick
03-20-2017, 11:05 AM
DVR

The greatest invention since sliced bread.

gu03alum
03-20-2017, 11:06 AM
Daughter only turns 21 once. Enjoy the evening and watch the tape later.

Also, let this be a warning to anyone thinking of growing your family. Make sure that child is not born in March.

MDABE80
03-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Always family. Family lasts a lifetime. One game is one game.

PeninsulaDog
03-20-2017, 11:57 AM

I'm in similar situation, LI: My daughter (who was born mere days after the Elite 8 run in '99) is making a presentation for her Senior Service project Thursday evening. I will be practically be able to see SAP Arena from Notre Dame High School, but I've been inspired by my fellow posters to do the right thing here, and support her.
If the Zags advance, . . . Let me rephrase that: When the Zags advance, I have another dilemma: Another daughter has a ballet performance on Saturday evening. I dislike ballet immensely as I do most theatrical performances. (Broadway musicals are the very worst, but ballet is close cousin.) I will, however, trudge into the theater with grim determination, and see it through. On the bright side, my nerves and heart will thank me.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-20-2017, 12:06 PM

What does it say about your parenting skills if your daughter hasn't already insisted on going to a bar to watch the Zags on her 21st birthday!? #ZagUp :-)

Zag4Hire
03-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Early dinner out, dessert and beverages at home in time for the Zags game ??

Otherwise: DVR it and don't go to a place with TV's etc. She's only going to turn 21 once and it won't be long before she's celebrating her birthdays elsewhere. Give her her night. There will be other nights and other games for the Zags.

I thought this would be the winner. Timing can be tough but to me the best option. Plus it can be a better environment earlier and have better conversation.

Our man is in the NYC area.....Trust me, no one is gonna yell out anything for Gonzaga.......Maybe for Mets spring training, but not GU

Never say never. Every outing prior to my now "watching Gonzaga games in the bunker" strategy, it was uncanny to have Xavier fans at a sports bar in SF Bay Area, UW fans in FL, etc.

deathchina
03-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Make sure you turn the phone off and no radio in the car...

Zaga
03-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Definitely DVR. If the Zag's win you will want to watch each detail... If they don't.....well you have the option of if and when.... Enjoy your time with your family.... Go Zag's

maynard g krebs
03-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Have yourself cloned, send the clone to dinner, and then kill it before it has a chance to spill the beans.

BayAreaZagFan
03-20-2017, 12:41 PM
This predicament is the very reason that God invented sports bars.

hondo
03-20-2017, 12:52 PM
DVR and then, after you know who won, watch the game stress free if you want. I have found that this method allows you to avoid such minor annoyances as heart attacks or throwing up on that new sofa or having to replace that giant new 4K TV that now has a shattered screen with a beer bottle still stuck half way inside.

zagfan24
03-20-2017, 01:05 PM
My daughter was begging me to read books to her in her "house" (old school Fisher Price style) during the game on Saturday. I tried bargaining that I could read to her on the couch, but to not avail. Eventually we went and read for 10 or so minutes in the house then she was ready to move onto something else. I'm ashamed looking back and knowing I even bothered hesitating to go read with her. In the moment, the Zag gamed seemed important but in retrospect it's not even in the ballpark. Spend the evening with your daughter and watch the game when you can. IMO, you'll never regret time spent with family.

Zaga
03-20-2017, 01:12 PM
DVR and then, after you know who won, watch the game stress free if you want. I have found that this method allows you to avoid such minor annoyances as heart attacks or throwing up on that new sofa or having to replace that giant new 4K TV that now has a shattered screen with a beer bottle still stuck half way inside.

That was you peeking in the window during the BYU game!

Zigzag92
03-20-2017, 01:32 PM
I'll be at MSG Friday night to see Carolina Baylor and UF-Wisconsin...went to USC for two years and when I was there the hoops team was awful. Cant wait

Zagceo
03-20-2017, 05:54 PM
I'll be at MSG Friday night to see Carolina Baylor and UF-Wisconsin...went to USC for two years and when I was there the hoops team was awful. Cant wait

so USC Columbia or Watts?

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Whatever you do, don't make the rest of us wait up later than normal to see who won "Top Predictions" for this game.

75Zag
03-20-2017, 07:46 PM
When I was at GU I proudly walked over to the Gung Ho Chinese restaurant on Boone at 12:01 am on my 21st birthday and handed over my Washington Driver's license to collect my free birthday drink. Why wait 18 hours?

PS - the bartender was not all that gracious in handing over my free drink - not sure why, but it might have had something to do with the fact that I had been using my "New Jersey" driver's license to drink there for a year or two before my free 21st birthday drink.

Details, details.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

john montana
03-20-2017, 08:29 PM

I am with jazz. I have to do this for most games during the season due to family obligations.

My dilemma...wife scheduled family vacation in the Bahamas and I will be landing about game time. DVR and keep my phone off until I get checked in!

GrizZAG
03-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Anybody else think of starting early and making it home for the game as a possibility? Everybody happy then?

kitzbuel
03-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Egad! I almost pulled a Woohoo. I was thinking the game was at 1:40 PM Eastern until I saw this post. Had to do a quick mental time zone reset.

I say take her out at 5:30, couple of margaritas will go straight to her head and you can be in your lazy boy by 7:30.

U Zig, I Zag
03-20-2017, 09:25 PM
When I was at GU I proudly walked over to the Gung Ho Chinese restaurant on Boone at 12:01 am on my 21st birthday and handed over my Washington Driver's license to collect my free birthday drink. Why wait 18 hours?

PS - the bartender was not all that gracious in handing over my free drink - not sure why, but it might have had something to do with the fact that I had been using my "New Jersey" driver's license to drink there for a year or two before my free 21st birthday drink.

Details, details.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

Pike Street market. One of the Asian ran 'passport photo' places in the 90's. We all picked out names, places (I was so and so from someplace in Idaho that had a name I could spell with a zip I memorized). We all were sweating bullets.

You got to rough the fresh ones up, so we rubbed the corners of the ID's on the ground, rubbed some dirt on them to take the shine off. We headed out to a bar. None of us thought to actually change clothes so we all had the same shirts, haircuts and bad glasses in real life as we had on our fake ID's.

First place we visit - round of drinks ordered. Nobody even carded. We were in 7th heaven. They don't work the rest of the night.

Mine got some hits back in Spokane. Zip Trips and the like, right before 2am seemed to be the best time.

MJ777
03-20-2017, 10:28 PM
My daughter was begging me to read books to her in her "house" (old school Fisher Price style) during the game on Saturday. I tried bargaining that I could read to her on the couch, but to not avail. Eventually we went and read for 10 or so minutes in the house then she was ready to move onto something else. I'm ashamed looking back and knowing I even bothered hesitating to go read with her. In the moment, the Zag gamed seemed important but in retrospect it's not even in the ballpark. Spend the evening with your daughter and watch the game when you can. IMO, you'll never regret time spent with family.

I agree about time spent with family, but that doesn't make it easy. My wife had purchased tickets to see Beauty and the Beast for us and our daughter about a week before the bracket was announced. Of course the movie was scheduled to start a few minutes before the the Zags - NU game. I set the DVR and went to the movie with my family and some friends. I couldn't resist, I peaked at the big screen at the theater bar when we got there (16-6 Zags). I looked at the ESPN scoreboard on my iphone during the movie every few minutes (up 18 at the half). Then in the second half it went down to 11, 8, 5.......and then a bit of swearing under my breath.....wtf? I finally was relieved when it said FINAL......whew. I had no idea about the controversy of the missed goal tending by Collins and the Technical on the other Collins until I read about it on the GU board. I got home in time to see most of the SMC game. I didn't watch the GU game until 10:30 that night.

Word of Caution: Make sure there is room on your DVR to record the game and that there are not any conflicts that do not get resolved. When I set up the DVR to record the SDSU game I didn't notice there was little room. It recorded, but then something else recorded over it before I could watch it.

Happy Birthday to your daughter. They grow up so fast. Enjoy.

ProVeeZag
03-20-2017, 10:47 PM
Whatever you do, don't make the rest of us wait up later than normal to see who won "Top Predictions" for this game.

This was my very 1st thought when I read the opening to this thread. What? We gotta wait again for LIZF to post his predictions spreadsheet!?! LIZF, you now realize that you have created a MONSTER!

Enjoy your night out with family! :clap: