PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga shooting at the Salt Lake City subregional

CDC84
03-19-2017, 04:24 PM
FG = 51/122 (41.8%)

3 pt FG = 12/46 (26.0%)

Obviously, these percentages must improve if Gonzaga has any hope of beating their new 2 opponents. Thank goodness for the quality of Gonzaga's defense this season.

The SAP Center in San Jose was built for the San Jose Sharks hockey team. They don't play many basketball games at the facility. It is a smaller arena than the arena in SLC. I wouldn't be surprised if the rims they use are brand new. I like the Shem idea.....have him hang on both rims for 10 minutes to loosen them up. Maybe have him shake the rims as well. Regardless, I would expect a more Zag friendly crowd.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-19-2017, 04:31 PM
33 of 54 from the free throw line will send us home if that doesn't improve.

MontanaCoyote
03-19-2017, 05:24 PM
FG = 51/122 (41.8%)

3 pt FG = 12/46 (26.0%)

Obviously, these percentages must improve if Gonzaga has any hope of beating their new 2 opponents. Thank goodness for the quality of Gonzaga's defense this season.

The SAP Center in San Jose was built for the San Jose Sharks hockey team. They don't play many basketball games at the facility. It is a smaller arena than the arena in SLC. I wouldn't be surprised if the rims they use are brand new. I like the Shem idea.....have him hang on both rims for 10 minutes to loosen them up. Maybe have him shake the rims as well. Regardless, I would expect a more Zag friendly crowd.

Even though the rims will be the same for both teams regardless, Let Shem take 'um on! I hated tight rims. The last high school game I played was against Mercer Island High, Washington state. Rims were like rebar and the floor, get this, was two by fours on end. Put asphalt to shame, closer to concrete!

madness
03-19-2017, 05:36 PM

Exactly...the next rounds will be heavily determined by Free Throws. FT practice should be just as heavily emphasized as Breaking the Press.

CDC84
03-19-2017, 05:49 PM

That stat is not very good when you consider that Shem and JWIII didn't shoot 30 of those free throws. In fact, it seemed as though Karno did reasonably well from the foul line compared to his season average.

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Exactly...the next rounds will be heavily determined by Free Throws. FT practice should be just as heavily emphasized as Breaking the Press.

how does one practice FT under game stress conditions?

MontanaCoyote
03-19-2017, 07:27 PM
how does one practice FT under game stress conditions?

Haven't got a clue, but South Carolina and Duke combined just made 89% of their FT's. I think we're at 61%.

Numbers speak for themselves. Hope we find an answer. PS ......... JW III needs more arch on his FT's, but maybe too late this year to change.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Haven't got a clue, but South Carolina and Duke combined just made 89% of their FT's. I think we're at 61%.

Numbers speak for themselves. Hope we find an answer. PS ......... JW III needs more arch on his FT's, but maybe too late this year to change.

It's March Madness...one of SC's players came into the game shooting 62%, and went 9-10 from the line.

MontanaCoyote
03-19-2017, 07:39 PM
It's March Madness...one of SC's players came into the game shooting 62%, and went 9-10 from the line.

PDG!

CDC84
03-19-2017, 11:26 PM
The inside of the venue (then called the HP Pavilion) during the 2013 subregional:

http://aviewfrommyseat.com/wallpaper/BadAndy0015-20130321201701.jpg

CDC84
03-19-2017, 11:29 PM
The arena from the main entrance in downtown San Jose, which is actually a larger city now than San Francisco.

http://www.sanjose.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sap-center.jpg

CDC84
03-19-2017, 11:36 PM
One of the most amazing buzzer beaters in NCAA tourney history that happened at the arena in 2010 between Murray State and Vanderbilt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGojrloisxg

The universities are only separated by 120 miles, so this was a massive win for Murray State

TokyoZag
03-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Given that it's hockey season, is there ice under the floor? Is there any reason to be concerned about slipperiness?

CDC84
03-20-2017, 08:36 AM
Well there certainly were slipping issues when GU played Tennessee in Nashville, and that arena is used a lot more for basketball than the SAP Center. Bridgestone Arena hosts the SEC tourney and many other games throughout the season. Guys were slipping all over the floor in that game. But I don't recall any slipping issues when the SAP Center has hosted the tourney in the past.

sittingon50
03-20-2017, 09:14 AM
Given that it's hockey season, is there ice under the floor? Is there any reason to be concerned about slipperiness?

When the Zags have played In the Spokane Arena it has been a real hit & miss issue. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.