PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to face West Virginia

Reborn
03-19-2017, 02:21 PM
I can't express how happy I am to be playing West Virginia next Thursday. I really did not want to play Notre Dame. They are a very bad match-up for our Zags. Whereas, I think West Virginia is a good match-up. I think West Virginia is better than Notre Dame, and I picked them to beat Notre Dame yesterday. But in this tournament it is more about the match-ups than a team's record. I don'[t think Few needs to make any coaching changing to his starting line-up or bench. He can, and may, change who gets more minutes on the court. He did that yesterday, and it was a great coaching decision (playing Collins and Tillie at the end of the game). Some posters here may not like this, but I feel Few has done a great job of coaching this year, and the players have done a great job of responding. After all, they are 32 and 1 I think. I'm not going to change my opinion of our Zags now, and see no reason to. They are in the Sweet 16 man, and that is NEVER an easy thing to do. I feel the kind of excitement that Mathews showed after the game. Total Joy, Happiness and excitement. I'm going to focus more on what's positive about our team. All year long we fans have talked about this tournament and hoping to make it to the Final Four for the first time. I will not lose my enthusiasm now. We're just half-way there and it get's tougher.

Now a little about West Virginia. They are not all that tall, and from what I saw in their game yesterday they are not tough inside. Colison seemed to score whenever he wanted to. He scored 27. Gonzaga is definitely tougher and more athletic inside, and will score a lot of points in the paint. That has been our strength all year. Getting back to the height advantage, that's how Wisconson beat Vilanova yesterday. I would never say that Wisconsin is a better team than Vilanova. It was just not a good match-up for Vilanova. West Virginia is not a great outside shooting team, and those are the teams that can beat Gonzaga. Notre Dame, to me, is not close to being as good as Gonzaga on defense; so it makes sense that WV would have better offensive statistics against Notre Dame. Over the year WV shot 37% from behind the 3 pt line and 46% for the game. They shot just 68% from the foul line.

I'll write more later. I just want to get started for the big game Thursday.

Go Zags!!!

Zags11
03-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Beat the press. Make some outside shots. Limit turnovers. I believe our perimeter is hot Thursday.

MJ777
03-19-2017, 03:29 PM
But NU scored 53 in the 2nd half against the vaunted D after scoring 20 in the first. Which half was real? UWV did shoot well from 3 yesterday. Hopefully the Zag D will shut down the 3 on Thursday. And please value the ball Zags.

10 Piece Bucket
03-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Did the team see what KS did? DO THAT.
Stop flitting around and get after it- and STAY after it that's the way to close out a game.

Coach Crazy
03-19-2017, 04:20 PM
But NU scored 53 in the 2nd half against the vaunted D after scoring 20 in the first. Which half was real? WVU did shoot well from 3 yesterday. Hopefully the Zag D will shut down the 3 on Thursday. And please value the ball Zags.

Both.

MontanaCoyote
03-19-2017, 05:07 PM
I can't express how happy I am to be playing West Virginia next Thursday. I really did not want to play Notre Dame. They are a very bad match-up for our Zags. Whereas, I think West Virginia is a good match-up. I think West Virginia is better than Notre Dame, and I picked them to beat Notre Dame yesterday. But in this tournament it is more about the match-ups than a team's record. I don'[t think Few needs to make any coaching changing to his starting line-up or bench. He can, and may, change who gets more minutes on the court. He did that yesterday, and it was a great coaching decision (playing Collins and Tillie at the end of the game). Some posters here may not like this, but I feel Few has done a great job of coaching this year, and the players have done a great job of responding. After all, they are 32 and 1 I think. I'm not going to change my opinion of our Zags now, and see no reason to. They are in the Sweet 16 man, and that is NEVER an easy thing to do. I feel the kind of excitement that Mathews showed after the game. Total Joy, Happiness and excitement. I'm going to focus more on what's positive about our team. All year long we fans have talked about this tournament and hoping to make it to the Final Four for the first time. I will not lose my enthusiasm now. We're just half-way there and it get's tougher.

Now a little about West Virginia. They are not all that tall, and from what I saw in their game yesterday they are not tough inside. Colison seemed to score whenever he wanted to. He scored 27. Gonzaga is definitely tougher and more athletic inside, and will score a lot of points in the paint. That has been our strength all year. Getting back to the height advantage, that's how Wisconson beat Vilanova yesterday. I would never say that Wisconsin is a better team than Vilanova. It was just not a good match-up for Vilanova. West Virginia is not a great outside shooting team, and those are the teams that can beat Gonzaga. Notre Dame, to me, is not close to being as good as Gonzaga on defense; so it makes sense that WV would have better offensive statistics against Notre Dame. Over the year WV shot 37% from behind the 3 pt line and 46% for the game. They shot just 68% from the foul line.

I'll write more later. I just want to get started for the big game Thursday.

Go Zags!!!

Excellent kick off for this thread, Reborn. Keep it up!

CdAZagFan
03-19-2017, 08:06 PM
Just need the aggressiveness and confidence we saw in the first half last game... only for 40 minutes. Attack that press and dictate the flow of the game - don't let them dictate. I think once we break the press, our bigs have a big advantage inside and if we can get back to hitting some 3's, it will really stretch that vaunted D.

ZagNation
03-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Where can I find the link that has the chance of winning in the tournament. Last I saw GU was at 17%.

Zag_Dad
03-19-2017, 08:21 PM
Where can I find the link that has the chance of winning in the tournament. Last I saw GU was at 17%.

Up to 18% now

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-march-madness-predictions/

Virginia Zags Fan
03-19-2017, 11:08 PM
It is great to be back in the Sweet 16. Really excited to see this team bring it on Thursday. I have every confidence they will give it their all and that is worth watching and celebrating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caduceus
03-19-2017, 11:55 PM
After all, they are 32 and 1 I think.

34 and 1! :)

Zagger
03-20-2017, 01:52 AM
Here's what ESPN says (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18953154/why-every-sweet-16-team-keep-playing-2017-ncaa-tournament) about the Zags moving forward .....

No. 1 seed Gonzaga Bulldogs
First round: Defeated South Dakota State, 66-46
Second round: Defeated Northwestern, 79-73
Sweet 16 opponent: West Virginia

Why they will advance: Przemek Karnowski. There might not be another player in the tournament that matches up one-on-one with Karnowski, and until one shows up, defenses will need to keep an eye out for this 7-foot-1, 300 pound force. Coach Mark Few rested him in the first two rounds (averaged only 18 minutes per game), so he'll be fresh moving forward.

Why they will go home: When it comes down to free throws. The Zags rank 99th nationally in free throw shooting percentage (72.7 percent) and four of their main rotation players shoot worse than 75 percent. If the Zags are put on the charity stripe late, it's far from a done deal. -- Chantel Jennings

So, for this ESPN writer our only drawback is FT shooting .... Well, we have shot dang near 90% in a game this year. Can't recall which one. Methinks the San Jose hoops will be kinder to the Zags than those in SLC.

As for how we'll play ... I'm with Reborn on his description of Jordan Mathews' excitement. I feel the Sweet 16 play we'll see in the Zags on Thursday will be .... Sweet! Having Collins and Tillie finish out the game on Saturday was awesome. Getting those two some quality Dancing ... you can bet they're going to be fired up for more! As close as this bunch of Zags that excitement is going to spread throughout the team lickety split. When it comes to excitement and watching the team I couldn't help but see the smiles and cheering by these four Zags: Edwards, Alberts, Rem and Larsen. The first three during the games cheering their team on and Larsen in the locker room after Saturday's game jumping up and down like his pants were afire. These guys are loving it!

Since throughout the season the high scoring Zag has varied a bit I'm guessing we'll see something of the sort happen on Thursday. I would not be surprised if we see some eye opening basket finding by both Perkins and Melson. That's where the Mountaineers are going to have problems with our team ..... depth. I feel GU will be much more ready for WV than WV for GU. It's going to be hard to out coach Few's NCAA experience too. Few just hit 500 wins. Sure hope he'll be wearing a pair of 501 Levis on Saturday!

Let's run the Mountaineers outta San Jose!
http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatWV.png

Zagceo
03-20-2017, 01:58 AM
It's going to be hard to out coach Few's NCAA experience too. Few just hit 500 wins. Sure hope he'll be wearing a pair of 501 Levis on Saturday!

don't forget who coaches WV

One of only ten coaches ever with 800 or more career victories, Huggins has been to 23 total NCAA tournaments (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Division_I_Basketball_Championship), including 22 in the last 25 seasons. He has led his teams to seven Sweet Sixteen appearances, four Elite Eight appearances, and two Final Four appearances (1992 with Cincinnati; 2010 with West Virginia). As of January 2017, Huggins has averaged 23 wins per season over the course of his career.

Zagger
03-20-2017, 02:36 AM
don't forget who coaches WV

Should be a good matchup on the coaching end :)

Reborn
03-20-2017, 08:37 AM
It's Monday morning, and I've just finished watching both our game against NW and West Virginia's game against Notre Dame. I'd like to dispel a couple of things. WV beat ND with their very good 3 point shooting. I was very surprised. WV hit one 3 after another to shut down runs by ND. As a team they hit 8-14 for 57% from behind the 3 pt line, and Carter, the point guard, hit 4-5. They also shot 80% from the foul line and 50% for the game. I'm not saying that WV is a 3 pt shooting team. They're not. They only shot 14. But they shot extremely well against ND. WV plays excellent defense. Not just they're full-court press but their half court press and their normal man to man defense where they try to get as many traps as they can. They play all-out defense for the entire game. They attack you the whole game, and never let you take a break. Gonzaga must play in an attacking mode as well.

Now for the GU game. Gonzaga, imo, did not play a poor second half. I thought they actually played pretty well because they held off a very hot team in the second half. Yes, UN made runs but so did Gonzaga. We actually scored more points in the second half than we did in the first, and we all thought that our first half looked fantastic. Collins and Tillie really did play great and made some huge free throws in the last couple minutes of the game. Few did a great job coaching by sitting the guys who were hurting the team, and playing Tillie, Collins and Melson. Gonzaga really does have a great bench. If the Zags had shot a decent % from the free throw line they would have scored 86 points and no one would be feeling negative. Turnovers were not good, the second half especially. However, it was not Perkins as some may wish to think. It was Williams Goss with 3 TO. Perkins had only one. Karnowski made a couple of bad ones too. I agree with the analyst who said the only problem Gonzaga has is their poor free throw shooting. And if THEY want to advance they need to find it within themselves to shoot much better from the line than they have the last 4 or 5 games. The Zags started the season shooting badly like this, and then suddenly that problem got corrected. Let's hope that that happens again NOW.

Now concerning our game with WV Thursday. We are not like Notrre Dame in any way, so WV can not compare us to them. And Notre Dame really did shoot poorly as a team. Only Colson was hitting consistently. Their only big man, Colson, does not play like a post player. He plays more like a Stretch 4. Notre Dame has relied on good 3 point shooting to win games, and Gonzaga has not. Gonzaga is a much better defensive team also, and also a better rebounding team. Notre Dame's best 3 point shooter was 1-9 from behind the arch, and their 2nd best was 1-5. Fluger, who is also a pretty good 3 point shooter at times, was 0-2. If a team doesn't have a strong inside game then that team is going to struggle offensively against WV. Gonzaga's strength is their post players; so it will really help our offense I think. Our strong post play will really challenge WV. And one last point is that Gonzaga has a fantastic bench, and it will those three guys will definitely be a very big factor in this game, just as they have been all year.

Go Zags!!!

Zags11
03-20-2017, 09:43 AM
It's Monday morning, and I've just finished watching both our game against NW and West Virginia's game against Notre Dame. I'd like to dispel a couple of things. WV beat ND with their very good 3 point shooting. I was very surprised. WV hit one 3 after another to shut down runs by ND. As a team they hit 8-14 for 57% from behind the 3 pt line, and Carter, the point guard, hit 4-5. They also shot 80% from the foul line and 50% for the game. I'm not saying that WV is a 3 pt shooting team. They're not. They only shot 14. But they shot extremely well against ND. WV plays excellent defense. Not just they're full-court press but their half court press and their normal man to man defense where they try to get as many traps as they can. They play all-out defense for the entire game. They attack you the whole game, and never let you take a break. Gonzaga must play in an attacking mode as well.

Now for the GU game. Gonzaga, imo, did not play a poor second half. I thought they actually played pretty well because they held off a very hot team in the second half. Yes, UN made runs but so did Gonzaga. We actually scored more points in the second half than we did in the first, and we all thought that our first half looked fantastic. Collins and Tillie really did play great and made some huge free throws in the last couple minutes of the game. Few did a great job coaching by sitting the guys who were hurting the team, and playing Tillie, Collins and Melson. Gonzaga really does have a great bench. If the Zags had shot a decent % from the free throw line they would have scored 86 points and no one would be feeling negative. Turnovers were not good, the second half especially. However, it was not Perkins as some may wish to think. It was Williams Goss with 3 TO. Perkins had only one. Karnowski made a couple of bad ones too. I agree with the analyst who said the only problem Gonzaga has is their poor free throw shooting. And if THEY want to advance they need to find it within themselves to shoot much better from the line than they have the last 4 or 5 games. The Zags started the season shooting badly like this, and then suddenly that problem got corrected. Let's hope that that happens again NOW.

Now concerning our game with WV Thursday. We are not like Notrre Dame in any way, so WV can not compare us to them. And Notre Dame really did shoot poorly as a team. Only Colson was hitting consistently. Their only big man, Colson, does not play like a post player. He plays more like a Stretch 4. Notre Dame has relied on good 3 point shooting to win games, and Gonzaga has not. Gonzaga is a much better defensive team also, and also a better rebounding team. Notre Dame's best 3 point shooter was 1-9 from behind the arch, and their 2nd best was 1-5. Fluger, who is also a pretty good 3 point shooter at times, was 0-2. If a team doesn't have a strong inside game then that team is going to struggle offensively against WV. Gonzaga's strength is their post players; so it will really help our offense I think. Our strong post play will really challenge WV. And one last point is that Gonzaga has a fantastic bench, and it will those three guys will definitely be a very big factor in this game, just as they have been all year.

Go Zags!!!

Great post.