PDA

View Full Version : WVU fan thread about our matchup

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2017, 08:36 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/west-virginia/forums/2509-bgn-basketball/15465124-wvu-can-beat-gonzaga

gonzagafan62
03-18-2017, 08:40 PM
They didn't learn their lesson. Time to spank them again, again and again.... crushed them three times before. Looking for #4

Ezag
03-18-2017, 10:34 PM
WOW, that board is arrogant and confident at the same time. Totally trashing us, our team, our conference, our tourney play, ok maybe they got us on the last point

BayAreaZagFan
03-18-2017, 11:21 PM
Well, Psycho7244 says they'll blow us out. That's good enough for me. Great season boys. See you next year!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

MDABE80
03-18-2017, 11:59 PM
Defense vs defense coming up with them. We've got to get the offense back. No harping on this one point. As I read their board, I had to laugh a bit/......lol,.how many guys and ways can a group say "we can beat them"?

sittingon50
03-19-2017, 12:27 AM
I was over there a few weeks back while the Zags were still undefeated. It was a mess.

CDC84
03-19-2017, 12:38 AM
2700 miles from Morgantown is San Jose. Most of the damage that WVU did this season was in Morgantown.

ScrapironJim
03-19-2017, 12:57 AM
Don't think for a second that their fans represent the perspective of the players and coaches.

Birddog
03-19-2017, 03:59 AM
My favorite WVU highlight this year was watching 5 or so guys picky Huggy up off the floor after he fell off his stool in the Okla St game.
http://www.bluegoldsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/31869606014_3803596b27_z.jpg

Zagger
03-19-2017, 04:32 AM
We got this one! Hope WV can run!
http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatWV.png

gueastcoast
03-19-2017, 04:34 AM
The collapse at the end of their game against Kansas at the Phog was epic. Need to knock them on their heels and keep them there.

Zag4Hire
03-19-2017, 05:03 AM
Check this page out if you haven't seen already with all time head-to-head stats:

Gonzaga 3-0 vs WVU

Crazy but Zags are 0-12 vs Oregon State (last tilt in 1990).

Goshzagit
03-19-2017, 05:30 AM
Teams havent really pressed us much this year.

This may be the type of game Silas needs to play more...

The two games I recall being pressed, it was Melson who broke through them. By himself.

He is fast and fearless in press situations. He splits traps better than any player we have.

NWG simply can't get in foul trouble. We need every ball handling guard available all game long.

This team likes to play in open court and does well in transition. We will need J3 & Collins running the floor for easy shots around the rim.

This will rarely be a half court game. As CDC mentioned, Karno could be odd man out. We need players to throw it "up" to when pressed all game.

They are fast, confident, & strong. We should be able to defend them though.

That said, they can turn you over in bunches. If Perkins & Mathews dribble the ball loosely & shoulder height as they've been doing, we could see 20 TO's or more...

Northwestern scored 17 pts off 10 2nd half TO's yesterday, compared to our 0 pts off TO's in 2nd half.

This will be key. Hitting some wide open 3's will be as well.

I hope we practice the press all week, then practice it some more....

DixieZag
03-19-2017, 05:32 AM
Their fans have every right to be confident right now. They're playing excellent ball and handled ND much more easily than we handed Northwestern.

I like Huggins - from what I hear, so does most everyone. Few likes him, enough for me.

Anyway, they have every right to dance in the aisles with confidence.

HenneZag
03-19-2017, 05:40 AM
Let their fan base and team feel that way, we play better with that kind of chatter.

WV looked tough, very tough. Super athletic and ferocious with pressure. We will need to swing the ball and play good angles. What worries me is the way we've shot the ball, if we hit our avg we will be ok, if the slump continues it will be a long night. With the defense they run the only way to break them down is to find the hole and make them pay.

Goshzagit
03-19-2017, 05:43 AM
Well, after looking at 6 of their losses & respective box scores.

One thing their losses have in common:

Their opponent shot 45% or better from 3pt land.

Our current squad has been lost cause from 3pt since BYU game. Seriously, the last 6 games have been shockingly poor from 3pt.

Averaging around 25% from 3pt! Didnt even realize it.

Otherwise, all of WVU's losses have been OT or single possession.

Any team that blows the doors off Baylor & Kansas by 20 has got my attn, not tomention they have only lost to teams who are hot from 3.

KenPom rates West Virginia as a 2 seed!

Gonzdb8
03-19-2017, 05:47 AM
Their fans have every right to be confident right now. They're playing excellent ball and handled ND much more easily than we handed Northwestern.

I like Huggins - from what I hear, so does most everyone. Few likes him, enough for me.

Anyway, they have every right to dance in the aisles with confidence.

agreed they have every right to be confident. but i'm not seeing confidence as much as hubris which isn't something i'd expect from a fan base that has taken some severe beatings from us over the last few years.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2017, 05:55 AM
agreed they have every right to be confident. but i'm not seeing confidence as much as hubris which isn't something i'd expect from a fan base that has taken some severe beatings from us over the last few years.

It's difficult to press when the opponent is rebounding your missed shots. Our defense knows the way to San Jose.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2017, 05:59 AM
I open the thread, and what do I see but an advertisement for another university's on-line degree program. :lmao:

Chicken Ball
03-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Our current squad has been lost cause from 3pt since BYU game. Seriously, the last 6 games have been shockingly poor from 3pt.

Any team that blows the doors off Baylor & Kansas by 20 has got my attn, not tomention they have only lost to teams who are hot from 3.

This is exactly right. WVU is terrible at defending the three, but significantly better at defending the two. To have any confidence about winning this game, in addition to the obvious point about limiting turnovers, our shooters have got to knock down open shots from the perimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rennis
03-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Karnowski had his breakout game as a Sophomore (I believe it was his sophomore year, memory fuzzy) against WV. They couldn't stop him then and even though the teams are different I doubt they will this time either.

This should be an awesome game. Their fans are hilarious, IMO.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2017, 10:36 AM
This thread says that Perkins is a freshman and that the guards are our weakness and keeps referring to Shem as a "Pole":

http://www.scout.com/college/west-virginia/forums/2509-bgn-basketball/15465976-analyzing-the-gonzaga-rooster-they-are-beatable

CdAZagFan
03-19-2017, 11:11 AM
This is exactly right. WVU is terrible at defending the three, but significantly better at defending the two. To have any confidence about winning this game, in addition to the obvious point about limiting turnovers, our shooters have got to knock down open shots from the perimeter.

Agreed... We need to get our mojo back from the 3-pt line.

ScrapironJim
03-19-2017, 02:35 PM
We got this one! Hope WV can run!
http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatWV.png

Love it!!!

Ezag
03-19-2017, 03:08 PM

This alone says we will probably lose. Not shooting 3 well, turning ball over too much, not hitting FT's. I hope I am wrong.

ProVeeZag
03-19-2017, 04:38 PM
My favorite WVU highlight this year was watching 5 or so guys picky Huggy up off the floor after he fell off his stool in the Okla St game.
http://www.bluegoldsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/31869606014_3803596b27_z.jpg

Works out to about 65 lbs per man!

DixieZag
03-19-2017, 05:00 PM
I heard Huggins is getting a 95 pound mole removed from his arse this week...but he'll be ready to coach on Thursday

What kind of comment is that?

Few likes Huggins a lot and that ought to say a lot, b/c Few wouldn't like a coach that didn't love his kids and try to do the right thing. Every time he's played us he's been a joy (I never knew GEG was like LAX) and he's always respected us.

Zigzag92
03-19-2017, 07:38 PM
with Nova and Puke out the west winner is gonna have a great shot at the title game

bartruff1
03-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Huggins probably does more for West Virginia than anyone....a great coach and a even better person...

ZagaZags
03-19-2017, 07:56 PM
Huggins probably does more for West Virginia than anyone....a great coach and a even better person...

100% agree.

siliconzag
03-19-2017, 08:32 PM
What kind of comment is that?

Few likes Huggins a lot and that ought to say a lot, b/c Few wouldn't like a coach that didn't love his kids and try to do the right thing. Every time he's played us he's been a joy (I never knew GEG was like LAX) and he's always respected us.

Bob Huggins loves his teams. Who can forget when he got so worked up in Salt Lake City while his Cincinnati team was playing GU that he was tossed from the game for two technical fouls, and then to add injury to insult they tossed the Cincinnati announcer for throwning a pen on the court.

Perhaps more than anything I remember about Bobby was how he comforted the injured DeSea Butler in a game against Duke in the FF. He has a passion for the game that is exceeded only by a passion for his players. Making fun of his somatotype strikes me as the ultimate non sequitur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtRJXLyS0_U

U Zig, I Zag
03-19-2017, 08:35 PM
When he was taking care of Butler, that says it all to me. Very moving. He's a bit of a firebrand, but people like that. I tend to like the guys that the Zags play a few times.

gonstu
03-19-2017, 09:49 PM
When he was taking care of Butler, that says it all to me. Very moving. He's a bit of a firebrand, but people like that. I tend to like the guys that the Zags play a few times.

We played Rex Walters a few times...

Dahlaw
03-20-2017, 03:43 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/west-virginia/forums/2509-bgn-basketball/15465124-wvu-can-beat-gonzaga

I could just about promise everyone this guy was drunk.

I would also promise you that 98% of our fan base would much rather have KU, UNC or just about any other team Thursday.

I feel we are a legit top 20 team this year so anything less than sweet 16 would be a disappointment. Anything else is icing on cake to me.

No real WVU fan has anything but tremendous respect for the Gonzaga program.

Of course we got our fair share of drunks with an iPhone. So stupid post happen. A lot.

We will not travel well out there. As posted it's 2000+ miles and flight are about a grand per person.

And at least 3 connections from most airports. Which is the reason I'll not be there. Literally a day each way.

Thanks for the board approval. I won't say anything stupid. Of course I want to win. Who doesn't. But I find it horrible karma to predict a W so that will not happen from me.

adoptedzag
03-20-2017, 04:07 PM
I could just about promise everyone this guy was drunk.

I would also promise you that 98% of our fan base would much rather have KU, UNC or just about any other team Thursday.

I feel we are a legit top 20 team this year so anything less than sweet 16 would be a disappointment. Anything else is icing on cake to me.

No real WVU fan has anything but tremendous respect for the Gonzaga program.

Of course we got our fair share of drunks with an iPhone. So stupid post happen. A lot.

We will not travel well out there. As posted it's 2000+ miles and flight are about a grand per person.

And at least 3 connections from most airports. Which is the reason I'll not be there. Literally a day each way.

Thanks for the board approval. I won't say anything stupid. Of course I want to win. Who doesn't. But I find it horrible karma to predict a W so that will not happen from me.

Welcome aboard!

katman50
03-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Perhaps more than anything I remember about Bobby was how he comforted the injured DeSea Butler in a game against Duke in the FF. He has a passion for the game that is exceeded only by a passion for his players. Making fun of his somatotype strikes me as the ultimate non sequitur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtRJXLyS0_U

Damn, I watched that YouTube clip of Huggins comforting Butler, and I shed tears. And I am a big boy and grown man. Very powerful. My two favorite non-Zag coaches are Tom Izzo and Bob Huggins. He cares so much for his players. A no BS sort of guy.