PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Northwestern, post game thoughts

Reborn
03-18-2017, 04:57 PM
Gonzaga 79
Northwestern 73

Whew!!! That was a close one. Just the opposite of Thursday's game. Zags played a great first half. Up by 20 at halftime. Played poorly the second half, and held on to win. Which is the most important thing because there were two major upsets already today: Villanova and Florida St. A number 1 seed and a #3 seed.

The Zags shot 64% from the free throw line and missed 13 free throws. They did make 23 which is how we won the game really. 2nd game in a row we shot poorly. Shot only 44 overall and just 25% from the 3 pt line. Gonzaga only made 4 threes and none the second half. They committed 14 turnovers, which is really bad. Most of them were in the second half. Williams-Goss led the Zags with 20 points but couldn't make any at the end of the game when it really counts. He was 6-19.

Northwestern was just the opposite of GU. They played poorly the 1st half, making only 20 of their 73 total points the first half. They scored 53 the second half. They made 8 three's but they must have all been in the second half because they were really hot in the second half from behind the arch. Give Northwestern a lot of credit. They fought like hell to win, and left it all on the court. Gonzaga played scared the 2nd half. The 2nd half of the game began to look like Wichita State a few years ago. But this team is just better.

I really hate it when we get up by 20 at the half. So many teams come back in the second half and win. This game reminded me of the Iowa St game at the beginning of the year. We held on to win that one two after being up by 18 at the half. It was a very exciting game, and my son and grandson and I cheered our hearts out for our Zags. I think it helped. I love how we cheer when games get really close. It feels powerful. We are great fans. It felt good to get the adrenalin going.

This game was much tougher than the one Thursday. Northwestern was really, really, really hot in the second half and Gonzaga played pretty poorly. 14 turnovers tonight, most of them in 2nd half. Anyway. We won, and that's what's important. Survive and advance.

On to San Jose!!!

Go Zags!!!

krozman
03-18-2017, 05:02 PM
step on their throat and play a complete game for once! Two different Gonzaga teams played today, yet again. What is the deal with that? We didn't win this game if the refs called this better, i'm so sorry. I'm not calling out any particular zag here. Just god, how is it possible to vary so wildly.

Stache
03-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Was Shem sick? Just wasn't himself. A step slow and hands just weren't his normal.

Zagger
03-18-2017, 05:04 PM
It was sure nice to see Tilley getting some time in .... and 8 points. Is Mt K under the weather? He looked a bit ill-ish to me. More so in the 2nd half.
It got to be a high anxiety game with the Zags letting NU get back into it. Got to hand it to NU though. They didn't cave. Hope they do well again next season.
Congrats to Few's 500 wins and only a 1 loss season thus far. I'm more/less spent now on what goes on in a Zag game as long as they keep winning! There were some times this game I was scaring our cats!

Go Zags! Beat WV!

ZagOD7540
03-18-2017, 05:09 PM
New life next week. A lot to work on in the next few days.

10 Piece Bucket
03-18-2017, 05:14 PM
:allhail::allhail: Huge fan of Poland and France! :000tens:Our cat leaves the room when he sees the Zag basketball come out cause he hates it when it gets slammed to the floor in despair- lots of ball slamming today!
I'm super happy for the lads and hope they use what happened to tighten it up for the next game... They have a deep bench and deep grit-

23dpg
03-18-2017, 05:15 PM
I have a feeling that the Northwestern fans are happier than the Zag fans right now. Or less tortured maybe.

Expectations

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Great to hold on to win. We almost always do. But, I think that's the last game this year we'll be able to do it. Sad, but I'd almost rather be in a 5 point game at half rather than be up 20. It seems like our guys just figure that they're Zags and will be up 20 at half, every game - ala' WCC. Unlike WCC - except BYU and SMC, these teams come back near all the way, even closer than SMC and BYU (except BYU at home - who clipped us).

Don't know if it's fixable at this point. Just have to hope that we're in a game in the first half and play better in the second, feel pressured.

Seeing a changing of the guard, the frosh are leading the way, helped by Williams, NWG better, but not All-American. Hoop can show a stat showing few TOs, but few of anything else, either. Bad sign going up against a team that makes its living pressuring guards

Very happy to still be playing, Villanova would love to have had our fortune. Few is very very good with 4 days to prepare, and I think he's evolving along. WVU won't be the only ones playing good defense. We'll see. I just hope we didn't just see our last win of the season, but gotta have some production from places we're just not getting it.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Zags beat NU 10 out of 10 times. NU had a good season, and a cute story postseason. Elaine has aged pretty well.

TexasZagFan
03-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Zags beat NU 10 out of 10 times. NU had a good season, and a cute story postseason. Elaine has aged pretty well.

How many times did they show her, Doug Collins, and the whiny kid? That kid's gonna be on hundreds of memes before the Dance is over.

Stache
03-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Kid makes Jordan look stoic.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Zags seem to be playing their best D of the year right now but the offense is regressing. Defense is winning games for them but suddenly its as if no Zag guards can stroke it from 3. Still waiting for this team to play its best, most complete game of the season.

Nothing will surprise me vs West VA. Zags may win a nail biter, may get blown out by 25+ pts or may win by 20. No scenario would surprise me.

Plainsman
03-18-2017, 05:45 PM
We'll play better all game against WVU because we won't get a big lead.

BayAreaZagFan
03-18-2017, 05:49 PM
We won today. We will win again Thursday.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

MontanaCoyote
03-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Great to hold on to win. We almost always do. But, I think that's the last game this year we'll be able to do it. Sad, but I'd almost rather be in a 5 point game at half rather than be up 20. It seems like our guys just figure that they're Zags and will be up 20 at half, every game - ala' WCC. Unlike WCC - except BYU and SMC, these teams come back near all the way, even closer than SMC and BYU (except BYU at home - who clipped us).

Don't know if it's fixable at this point. Just have to hope that we're in a game in the first half and play better in the second, feel pressured.

Seeing a changing of the guard, the frosh are leading the way, helped by Williams, NWG better, but not All-American. Hoop can show a stat showing few TOs, but few of anything else, either. Bad sign going up against a team that makes its living pressuring guards

Very happy to still be playing, Villanova would love to have had our fortune. Few is very very good with 4 days to prepare, and I think he's evolving along. WVU won't be the only ones playing good defense. We'll see. I just hope we didn't just see our last win of the season, but gotta have some production from places we're just not getting it.

This is what I don't get; at the end of the every first half when we have a big lead, Few gets interview and always says '
We have to do what we did in the first half. So the thought is there but the needed result isn't. I just don't get it. We come out to play the way we did today after being told (I'm sure) that you have to play the 2nd just like the first? Damn, what is it, anyway?

Zigzag92
03-18-2017, 05:52 PM
This is what I don't get; at the end of the every first half when we have a big lead, Few gets interview and always says '
We have to do what we did in the first half. So the thought is there but the needed result isn't. I just don't get it. We come out to play the way we did today after being told (I'm sure) that you have to play the 2nd just like the first? Damn, what is it, anyway?

sometimes the other team plays well too

MontanaCoyote
03-18-2017, 06:11 PM
sometimes the other team plays well too

Correct you are! Still, Zag's must, as Barkley said today, find a way to avoid their "lapses."

Reborn
03-18-2017, 06:16 PM
When the Zags slow it down in the 2nd half, walk it up court, I just go crazy. This is why we collapsed in the 2nd half and I've seen it 100+ times in my life by many teams. It's just a jinx to try to do that. We looked great in the first half when he played all out at a lightning fast pace on offense and defense. I have no idea who's fault that is but I think it's Few's, and he has done that for years, and he still continues to do it. But still, after everything is said if we would have shot decent from the foul line we would have scored 86 points and no one would be complaining about the offense. I have no idea what's up at the foul line, but it sure stinks, and is embarrassing, imo. Goss and Collins shot well, but other than those two, blah blah blah blah blaugh.

One last thing is that not too many people blew NU out this year, so give them credit. They're a pretty good team, and a team with a lot of fight.

Go Zags!!!

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 06:53 PM
When the Zags slow it down in the 2nd half, walk it up court, I just go crazy. This is why we collapsed in the 2nd half and I've seen it 100+ times in my life by many teams. It's just a jinx to try to do that. We looked great in the first half when he played all out at a lightning fast pace on offense and defense. I have no idea who's fault that is but I think it's Few's, and he has done that for years, and he still continues to do it. But still, after everything is said if we would have shot decent from the foul line we would have scored 86 points and no one would be complaining about the offense. I have no idea what's up at the foul line, but it sure stinks, and is embarrassing, imo. Goss and Collins shot well, but other than those two, blah blah blah blah blaugh.

One last thing is that not too many people blew NU out this year, so give them credit. They're a pretty good team, and a team with a lot of fight.

Go Zags!!!

actually NWG shot poorly and particularly down the stretch, 0-7

BayAreaZagFan
03-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Attack. Attack. Attack. Keep your foot on the pedal. Never let up. Play like you're behind. Pour it on. Win this thing, dammit!

BayAreaZagFan
03-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Oh, and enjoy the ride! All of us!

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-18-2017, 06:56 PM
We got out of SLC, I bet our shooting improves drastically now

Zagger
03-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Been looking for a link to this game's postgame press conference. With no luck. Anyone?

ProVeeZag
03-18-2017, 07:06 PM
How many times did they show her, Doug Collins, and the whiny kid? That kid's gonna be on hundreds of memes before the Dance is over.

I actually kept a running count on Elaine Benes - she had 9 closeups. (ok, sorry, I'm a nerd for details!). I may have missed a couple of her in the big crowd shots. Would have thought it was more, but I watched the full game other than halftime. The whiny kid is gonna be famous for years and years.

gueastcoast
03-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Elaine Benes looks really good. respect

MontanaCoyote
03-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Attack. Attack. Attack. Keep your foot on the pedal. Never let up. Play like you're behind. Pour it on. Win this thing, dammit!

Wasn't it really our defense that had the real lapse? Granted, we only scored 3 more points in the 2nd than in the 1st, but we gave up 53. That's 106 over 2. Of the 4 west bracket winners today, only AZ scored more than 3 points more in the 2 nd half than in the 1st. WV -1, Xavier +3, Zag's + 3, AZ +11. None of them gave up 53, 'cepting us.

All Weather Fan
03-18-2017, 07:18 PM
Agree with Reborn on this one. I too hate when we get a big lead scoring in transition & early offense and then start walking the ball up & running clock. Maybe in the last few minutes of a game with a substantial lead but not for an entire half. The guys lose their rythym and then it's nearly impossible to flip the switch back on. I totally understand the concept of limiting possessions and Coach has been successful most times employing this strategy but damn, it's hard on us poor fans ! LOL

Hoopaholic
03-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Wasn't it really our defense that had the real lapse? Granted, we only scored 3 more points in the 2nd than in the 1st, but we gave up 53. That's 106 over 2. Of the 4 west bracket winners today, only AZ scored more than 3 points more in the 2 nd half than in the 1st. WV -1, Xavier +3, Zag's + 3, AZ +11. None of them gave up 53, 'cepting us.

Yep

CdAZagFan
03-18-2017, 07:42 PM

Agree with this... 50 points in the 2nd half tonight, coupled with the 2nd half of the last St. Mary's game, it has me a tad nervous. Like Reborn, I do wonder why we slow the pace down early in the 2nd half with a big lead. I saw Wichita State in a game a couple of weeks ago, they slowly got the lead over the course of the game and at one point, the lead reached 16 and they, for the first time all game, immediately put a full court press on and really forced the tempo up at that moment. The lead went from 16 to 30 very quickly. I wish we would try that just once with a large lead early in the 2nd half. Surprise the other team with a press and just really push the pace for a few minutes to see if we can stretch the lead.

I can't believe our shooting will be as poor in the next game or two - even NWG wasn't his normal accurate self. I do wonder how JWIII, Perkins and Shem will respond to being benched at end of game...

Hoopaholic
03-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Agree with this... 50 points in the 2nd half tonight, coupled with the 2nd half of the last St. Mary's game, it has me a tad nervous. Like Reborn, I do wonder why we slow the pace down early in the 2nd half with a big lead. I saw Wichita State in a game a couple of weeks ago, they slowly got the lead over the course of the game and at one point, the lead reached 16 and they, for the first time all game, immediately put a full court press on and really forced the tempo up at that moment. The lead went from 16 to 30 very quickly. I wish we would try that just once with a large lead early in the 2nd half. Surprise the other team with a press and just really push the pace for a few minutes to see if we can stretch the lead.

I can't believe our shooting will be as poor in the next game or two - even NWG wasn't his normal accurate self. I do wonder how JWIII, Perkins and Shem will respond to being benched at end of game...

As to the last line...I suspect they are happy as a team to win and will be the furthest thing from their minds come tip off

CdAZagFan
03-18-2017, 07:55 PM
As to the last line...I suspect they are happy as a team to win and will be the furthest thing from their minds come tip off

I hope it stays on their mind, and I hope it will fire them up and they all come out aggressive against that defense...

MontanaCoyote
03-18-2017, 07:55 PM

Yep!

Reborn
03-18-2017, 09:01 PM
I'll say a few more things here and then say good night. We're moving on to San Jose. Still standing. Come Sunday night only 16 out of 68 teams will be able to say that. First off, Gonzaga is the #1 seed in the West Region, and we had to play in probably the worst place for us to play, and to play Northwestern there with that crowd behind them, you'd have to say, it seemed like an away game for this #1 seed. Fortunately for Gonzaga, they've played good on the road all year. I'm happy as heck to get out of Utah and get back on the West Coast in San Jose. I hope to see more fans in San Jose.

Of course Gonzaga didn't play it's bests basketball In Utah. But it was good enough to to win two games. As we saw this week, it is a good thing to be a #1 seed. In my opinion it's not really as bad as some fans think to not play our best ball the last two games. I think there is a better chance now that we'll be able to play better in the Regional Tournament next week. The Zags won't be complacent or cocky. They will return to Gonzaga and work there butts off. I hope they do a lot of Free Throw shooting because we shot miserable in Utah. As move on we just can't continue to shoot that horrible. Our 3 point shooting has also been poor, and maybe it will be time now for us to find our touch behind the 3 point line.

I thought Mark Few coached a very good game today, especially down the stretch when he played Collins and Tillie instead of PK and J Williams III. Collins had a monster game imo, and Tillie too. I can't say enough positive things about those two Freshmen. They just played great today. As poorly as some played today these two stood out as being confident and solid and TOUGH. Another player who stands out to me as being tough is J Mathews. I just love how he fights and is fearless. He has really stepped up and played great in Utah. I'm really proud of him and was actually hoping it would happen. We've all known how good he was at Cal, but it just seemed like something was missing in his game this year. And suddenly he found himself again as a Zag. I just love how happy he was after the victory today. He came to Gonzaga to do exactly what they are now doing.

All year long I've talked about how mature Gonzaga players are, and maturity was defined by that woman who announced a couple of our games. She defined maturity as just being able to get your work done well. And as down as some fans are I hope we all remember that. They GOT IT DONE!!!

Go Zags!!!

gueastcoast
03-19-2017, 05:06 AM
Amen Reborn, amen.

FuManShoes
03-19-2017, 05:59 AM
A few thoughts:

1. That first half is as good as we've looked in a month at least defensively. Nothing was given to Northwestern, the switches were great and clean and communication seemed excellent. Our quick hands forced multiple turnovers and transition game was on point. Nigel owned them and nearly hit his game averages by half.

2. But even then Shem looked out of sorts, again missing bunnies, getting blocked and stripped and just looking slow. Not sure what's going on, whether he's sick, or tired, or getting exposed by scrappy defenders. It's very concerning.

3. J3 looks hesitant on offense, passing up drives and jumpers. And we've all see how pained he is at the free throw line. That's both technique and in his head. Not sure it's realistic to think it will improve much over the next few days.

4. Ditto Josh Perkins.

5. Despite all that this team can win because Zach Collins is showing he can compete in the pressure cooker of March, helped by the fact officials aren't calling him as tight as they did in the WCC. He's been a godsend with Karno struggling. I still say he comes off the bench but we'll see more of him.

6. Thank God Tillie is back.

7. It's easy to focus on the lost lead and poor play in that second half, but let's not forget how dominant the team looked to start and how they responded - especially the frosh - down the stretch. That bodes well.

8. West Virginia scares the crap out of me with that press and their ability to hit shots, albeit inconsistently. The Zags will need to be focused and poised for 40 minutes which we've seen them struggle with. I'm hopeful this week of preparation will help but there's reason to be concerned given some of the confidence issues guys are suffering from. The good thing is it's not all on the guards and the Zags have bigs who can pass but they will need to be really tough and smart with the ball.

9. I'm trying to relish yet another trip to the Sweet 16, but yeah, it's a little hard to read and watch all the coverage of a near collapse and a blown call that many think gifted the Zags a win.

10. #### that noise. Go Zags!

All Weather Fan
03-19-2017, 06:38 AM
Great observations all, Fu.

Ezag
03-19-2017, 06:58 AM
#9 is tough since I see it, hear it and read it everywhere I look

Zigzag92
03-19-2017, 07:25 AM
" But even then Shem looked out of sorts, again missing bunnies, getting blocked and stripped and just looking slow. Not sure what's going on, whether he's sick, or tired, or getting exposed by scrappy defenders. It's very concerning. "

getting exposed by better defense is how I see it

Reborn
03-19-2017, 07:31 AM
A response to FuManShoes Post. No reason to fear anyone. If you want to go to the Final Four you're going to have to beat some pretty tough teams along the way. And if you see yourself as a champion you want to play and beat the toughest teams. On the bright side, Northwestern is the kind of team that usually makes a run to the Sweet16 and sometimes makes a run where they go even deeper in the brackets. They were a really hot team who everyone loved, and many many wanted them to beat Gonzaga. AND THEY GOT HOT, and made a great run at us. BUT WE STOPPED THEM. The win was really a great one for Gonzaga. Villanova could not halt the Sunami that buried them yesterday and they were the top #1 seed in the tournament.

Gonzaga has a great bench, and maybe the best in all of college basketball. They have played great all year long; so I am not surprised how well Tillie and Collins played yesterday. They've played that way more than a few times this year. And they really did play great yesterday. Collins especially was the star of the game, and the Zags should have been going into him the last few plays of the game. Both he and Tillie were absolutely beasts on defense, blocking shots and sweeping the boards. It was so great to see. Because they are freshman, and because they have not seen the kind of players they are now seeing, I wondered how they would do in the tournament. They answered Big Time.

As I said earlier, the Zags have not peaked yet. They need to play better as they go forward; and they can and they will.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
03-19-2017, 07:56 AM
I just looked at all the scores of the games yesterday, and Gonzaga actually scored more points in the 2nd half than they did in the first. That surprised me a lot because they played so good in the first half. Imagine what the score would have been if we had made more foul shots? There were only 3 teams yesterday who scored more points than Gonzaga: West Virginia scored just 4 more, Purdue only scored one more point and Xavier scored 91 in their victory over Florida St. I think we need to give the Zags more credit than we're giving them.

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 08:08 AM
I just looked at all the scores of the games yesterday, and Gonzaga actually scored more points in the 2nd half than they did in the first. That surprised me a lot because they played so good in the first half. Imagine what the score would have been if we had made more foul shots? There were only 3 teams yesterday who scored more points than Gonzaga: West Virginia scored just 4 more, Purdue only scored one more point and Xavier scored 91 in their victory over Florida St. I think we need to give the Zags more credit than we're giving them.

Wasn't offense as the issue

Defensive intensity and application of game plan was issue second half. Starting with their first three of second half when we went under screen on a shooter for first time all game ( the easier route but not the right route)

75Zag
03-19-2017, 09:36 AM
No BB expertise here and I certainly defer to people who play and coach (like Hoop) but it seemed to me that in the 2nd half there was an overall lack of care / focus while passing the ball and a sudden tendency by GU bigs (primarily Karno) to put the ball on the floor instead of going straight to the basket. Up to the moment that Collins made that block (with the hand through the basket as it turned out) and the Technical was called, I felt myself experiencing a sudden onset of GU vs. UCLA @ Oakland PTSD. Thank God one of the people sitting nearby offered me a Lemon Honey Echinacea lozenge. I'm not sure whether it was the Lemon, the Honey, the Echinacea, or the 20 mg. of THC, but one of them really calmed me down.

Looking forward to watching GU break down the W VA guards and the W VA pressure defense. I feel an Elite 8 against AZ coming on. Stub Hub still has a ton of tickets available for San Jose starting at around 250 for full weekend (Thursday and Saturday). It will be interesting to see how full the facility is and how the fan base breaks down.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 09:41 AM
No BB expertise here and I certainly defer to people who play and coach (like Hoop) but it seemed to me that in the 2nd half there was an overall lack of care / focus while passing the ball and a sudden tendency by GU bigs (primarily Karno) to put the ball on the floor instead of going straight to the basket. Up to the moment that Collins made that block (with the hand through the basket as it turned out) and the Technical was called, I felt myself experiencing a sudden onset of GU vs. UCLA @ Oakland PTSD. Thank God one of the people sitting nearby offered me a Lemon Honey Echinacea lozenge. I'm not sure whether it was the Lemon, the Honey, the Echinacea, or the 20 mg. of THC, but one of them really calmed me down.

Looking forward to watching GU break down the W VA guards and the W VA pressure defense. I feel an Elite 8 against AZ coming on.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

It's like baking bread

Do you add the eggs to the flour first or the yeast first in order to get the perfect rise of the dough

Offense went stagnant...was it because our defensive intensity went soft thus made basket increase for NW

Or did our defense (goss going under screen to give wide open 3 ball made) go soft which then created stagnant offense

Me personally we went away from bread and butter of aggressive defense which allowed momentum switch which triggered our regressive offensive posture of walking ball up..ISO basketball and ball sticking in hands way too much

krii
03-20-2017, 06:03 AM
" But even then Shem looked out of sorts, again missing bunnies, getting blocked and stripped and just looking slow. Not sure what's going on, whether he's sick, or tired, or getting exposed by scrappy defenders. It's very concerning. "

getting exposed by better defense is how I see it

Nah. He looked ill, he was coughing on the bench. He played much better against such defense in the past, no reason why he would have regress against them.