PDA

View Full Version : Hand through the basket call

Section 116
03-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Hudson said they were just handed a statement, I guess from the NCAA, noting the officials missed the call on Zach Collins block. They also said the call on Coach Collins for a technical was correct but the basket interference call was not. At least I'm pretty sure that is how I heard it. There is a lot of background crowd noise. I'm sure the call will be discussed a lot the rest of today and more.

Zag4Hire
03-18-2017, 04:25 PM
S16 vs WVU. I leave other message boards to cry over spilled milk at this point.

CDC84
03-18-2017, 04:30 PM
Three thoughts:

1) While the game would've gotten to 3 if the correct call was made, it is not a guarantee that NW would've won the game. It wasn't like the last play of the game. But yes, it was a call that unfairly hurt NW's chances of winning.

2) I have been watching the Zags for 19 years in the NCAA tourney, and this is the first time I can ever recall them getting a lucky call like this. Whether it was the foul that should've been called on Jordan Farmar when he slapped the ball out of Batista's hands or some of the questionable calls at the end of the Syracuse game last year, GU has had its share of really bad luck. They have ZERO reason to apologize.

3) There is going to be way too much discussion about this call. Analysts will rip it apart, say GU is a fraud, and that NW was robbed of a deserved win.

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 04:34 PM
19 years ...we got a call

after 2 games you didn't.......oh well.....

gonzagafan62
03-18-2017, 04:34 PM
19 years ...we got a call

after 2 games you didn't.......oh well.....
No kidding. We've never got a call. Ever

ZagOD7540
03-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Three thoughts:

1) While the game would've gotten to 3 if the correct call was made, it is not a guarantee that NW would've won the game. It wasn't like the last play of the game. But yes, it was a call that unfairly hurt NW's chances of winning.

2) I have been watching the Zags for 19 years in the NCAA tourney, and this is the first time I can ever recall them getting a lucky call like this. Whether it was the foul that should've been called on Jordan Farmar when he slapped the ball out of Batista's hands or some of the questionable calls at the end of the Syracuse game last year, GU has had its share of really bad luck. They have ZERO reason to apologize.

3) There is going to be way too much discussion about this call. Analysts will rip it apart, say GU is a fraud, and that NW was robbed of a deserved win.

If we would have buried them in the 2nd half this would be a "non factor". Unfortunately we fell asleep again, just like in the St. Mary's game, and let them and their crowd back into it. That 1st half was great. Barkley and Smith said our D looked like an NBA team the way that we can switch and all 5 can guard anyone on the floor. Not sure why the wheel come off in the 2nd half and we let teams back into it.

webspinnre
03-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately this happened. Glad we managed to pull it out.

CDC84
03-18-2017, 04:40 PM
What I mean is a call of this magnitude. Not some missed call in the 1st half against Texas Tech that bounced off a Red Raider players leg.

I'm just glad this bad call didn't result in NW not being able to take the lead, or God helps us, if the call happened with NW down 1 and 3 seconds on the clock. Then we'd really be hearing it.

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Three thoughts:

All true. But, getting it to 3 would've been the closest they'd been, changing the dynamic, much more pressure.

Agree that we deserve a call after all these years, but this played a real role. Not THE role, but a real role. Pit in the stomach.

OTOH, our guys folded, terribly, from 20 all the way down, but didn't ultimately fold, somewhat similar to @ BYU and @ SMC and SMC WCC tourney. This team folds like the others over the years, only difference is they seem to be able to just hold on.

CDC84
03-18-2017, 04:42 PM
If we would have buried them in the 2nd half this would be a "non factor". Unfortunately we fell asleep again, just like in the St. Mary's game, and let them and their crowd back into it. That 1st half was great. Barkley and Smith said our D looked like an NBA team the way that we can switch and all 5 can guard anyone on the floor. Not sure why the wheel come off in the 2nd half and we let teams back into it.

As I said to someone in an email just now....the freshmen bigs were terrific, the 1st half defense was outstanding, and everything else pretty much stunk. Just glad GU got out of there with a win. It wasn't the easiest environment either. I could see the players tensing up as that crowd got louder and louder in the 2nd half.

ezcure17
03-18-2017, 04:43 PM
BUT nobody will say anything on the play where NW player slapped the backboard when melson s ball was on the rim, will they! Here in Las Vegas at the craps tables where I work, when something wrong happens and it's not called and then evens itself out...... MARKER DOWN! End of story

CDC84
03-18-2017, 04:45 PM
OTOH, our guys folded, terribly, from 20 all the way down, but didn't ultimately fold, somewhat similar to @ BYU and @ SMC and SMC WCC tourney. This team folds like the others over the years, only difference is they seem to be able to just hold on.

I know. It's a plague with the program. We're getting out of it because of the defense and maybe a bit more talent.

strikenowhere
03-18-2017, 04:46 PM
I view it as a makeup for Wichita St. injuring Bell (albeit inadvertently) and costing us that game via 3's.

ZagOD7540
03-18-2017, 04:48 PM
As I said to someone in an email just now....the freshmen bigs were terrific, the 1st half defense was outstanding, and everything else pretty much stunk. Just glad GU got out of there with a win. It wasn't the easiest environment either. I could see the players tensing up as that crowd got louder and louder in the 2nd half.

New site and new gym for next week. New life. Hopefully a more Zag friendly crowd.
Get in the gym and shoot some FTs boys!

thickman1
03-18-2017, 04:52 PM
S16 vs WVU. I leave other message boards to cry over spilled milk at this point.

This.

10 Piece Bucket
03-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Luck was a Zag today- the focus should be on not needing luck in the next game, get it together and play smart

MiamiZags
03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Is this a new thing that the NCAA would release a statement like this about one call after a game? I think this sets a bad precedent, kind of like the NBA last 2 minute report that focuses too much attention on one call as if it was the only missed call of the game.

CDC84
03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Get in the gym and shoot some FTs boys!

The foul shooting stunk in game 1 as well. JWIII not being able to hit foul shots really hurts GU.....even more than Karno.

gmo
03-18-2017, 04:57 PM
I am hopeful the team and staff is asked about it a bunch and it is another source of motivation for the coming weekend. Before I hear the "if you need something to motivate you in the Big Dance you have issues" Michael Jordan used to use press clippings... a random innocuous comment... any perceived slight, anything to help drive him to championships. Many highly competitive people do.

Zags11
03-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Bad missed call. Even a dumber decision by their coach.

zagfan24
03-18-2017, 05:06 PM

Yeah, driving me crazy to hear the "4 point blown call" narrative. It was a terrible call in a generally inconsistent and poorly officiated game (both ways), but nobody forced Collins to get T'd up.

BobZag
03-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Hudson said they were just handed a statement, I guess from the NCAA, noting the officials missed the call on Zach Collins block. They also said the call on Coach Collins for a technical was correct but the basket interference call was not. At least I'm pretty sure that is how I heard it. There is a lot of background crowd noise. I'm sure the call will be discussed a lot the rest of today and more.

Is this like when the refs called a 10 second violation on the Zags vs Syracuse with seconds to play last year and the Zags leading by 1, then they issued an apology when they saw it was the wrong call, and it cost the Zags a trip to the Elite Eight? Is it like that? Is it, is it?

ZagMan in Philly
03-18-2017, 05:11 PM
Zach has a future as a good politician..he danced around that question at the post game press conference.

Kemo 1966
03-18-2017, 05:11 PM
OK guys, you realize that the ZAG WOMEN paid a 'heavy price' for this "non-call" ... they were continually MUGGED, slammed into and a 'block' was a muscled 200 lv'er + getting the start to HACK any shot in her vicinity...Barta, Kudron, Tinkle & the lady who wears a brace for Zags, may not be able to raise their arms over their heads tomorrow a.m. Worse false of 'refereeing I've ever seen! Their consciences must have been heavy, as late in the fourth they managed to call a few....... and the TWO HAGS who announced the game, should be sent to Alaska to referee a 'hot curling' match.... one supposedly was an "all world" coach etc etc and the play by play announcer would mention it every 5 minutes..... while watching the hack jobs on the court... finally in the 3rd quarter they started to question a few calls.... and how Zag's would just get up off the floor shaking their heads....... SO THERE WAS A PRICE TO PAY for the CALL.

I've had a good 56 year rooting tenure for the Pacific Tigers and all WCC participants........ Let's hope Few and the Team use this game as 'teaching' tool and go out and "leave it all on the floor" from here on out!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-18-2017, 05:12 PM
At least the block was clean.

Zags11
03-18-2017, 05:15 PM
At least the block was clean.

I see what u did there. :)

strikenowhere
03-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Is this like when the refs called a 10 second violation on the Zags vs Syracuse with seconds to play last year and the Zags leading by 1, then they issued an apology when they saw it was the wrong call, and it cost the Zags a trip to the Elite Eight? Is it like that? Is it, is it?

Forgot about that!

ldszagfan
03-18-2017, 05:30 PM
It will make headlines today, but everyone will forget about it by tomorrow. In the end, all everyone will remember is that Gonzaga won and Northwestern lost.

Zigzag92
03-18-2017, 05:45 PM
a good way to avoid it is just watch the games and not the morons on BSPN

Birddog
03-18-2017, 05:52 PM
So what they're saying is that NU went to hell in a hand through the basket no-call.

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 06:00 PM
Big bad world

. The NCAA called Gonzaga coach Mark Few to apologize for an incorrect call in his team's Sweet 16 game against Syracuse,

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/gonzaga-syracuse-officiating-error-bad-call-sweet-16-mark-few-ncaa/1osjwhmbon88xzp80dsgv4xch

BayAreaZagFan
03-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Not the reason NU lost. Not the reason GU won.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Zigzag92
03-18-2017, 06:24 PM
CBB refs are so awful and there's so many bad calls that to single out one is ridiculous...the NCAA needs to do something about the officiating as a whole because its an absolute travesty how poor it is

Section 116
03-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Few statement: Zags coach Mark Few wasn't pinning the win on that single turn of events. But he more than understood the emotion of the moment.

"You guys feel it and see it when it comes to these games,'' he said. "You lose, your season's over. You win, in Northwestern's case, it's probably the best thing they've done in the history of the school. You react spontaneously, and stuff happens.''

Link: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18946097/ncaa-tournament-officials-erred-late-northwestern-wildcats-gonzaga-bulldogs-game

CDC84
03-18-2017, 06:39 PM
The Syracuse call was worse because it happened near the one minute mark when GU was up by one.

NW wasn't leading the game when the goal tending call happened. There was also a full 5 minutes left in the game.

If he catches any grief, I hope he reminds the press of this.

Mantua
03-18-2017, 06:46 PM

It's not like that. We still would have squeaked out this one. Northwestern got away with lots of junk.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-18-2017, 06:54 PM
It's not like that. We still would have squeaked out this one. Northwestern got away with lots of junk.

I know, PK gets an offensive rebound and gets MAULED by 2 NW players..no call. Zach Collins catches a lob pass and a NW guard undercuts him from the side and they call traveling...those were just as OBVIOUS as the goal tending... but you didn't see Few going crazy enough to get Teed up....

MontanaCoyote
03-18-2017, 06:55 PM
Zach has a future as a good politician..he danced around that question at the post game press conference.

Whatever their questions are, give 'um your answers....... And he did!

VinnyZag
03-18-2017, 07:29 PM
I hate to even say this ... but at the time of the Collins play I was thinking that the Zags had gotten hacked on their last two shots without getting a call. A Karnowski shot and a Williams-Goss shot.

Refs got caught up in the game momentum and swallowed the whistle.

It bugs me when we whine about the refs. But, I'm just saying, the Collins goaltend wasn't the only blown call in that game.

CdAZagFan
03-18-2017, 08:04 PM
It was definitely a bad call... That entire second half just seemed like a messed up flow due to all the whistles.

ZagOD7540
03-18-2017, 08:41 PM
I hate to even say this ... but at the time of the Collins play I was thinking that the Zags had gotten hacked on their last two shots without getting a call. A Karnowski shot and a Williams-Goss shot.

It bugs me when we whine about the refs. But, I'm just saying, the Collins goaltend wasn't the only blown call in that game.

Bingo...Nigel is not one to complain, but when he gets fouled and there's no whistle he seems shocked. Nigel definitely had his arm hit. Also, alot of "muggings" going on in the paint.

Section 116
03-18-2017, 09:01 PM
USA Today notes the NCAA apologized for the mistake by the officials, but there was no apology from NW Coach Collins for running onto the floor and costing his team a technical. In fact as noted in the article: One Division I coach who requested anonymity, in fact, actually sent a text to a USA TODAY Sports reporter midway through the second half: “I like Chris, but can’t believe he hasn’t gotten a T.” Well, he did.

And even though it had disastrous consequences for the Wildcats, he didn’t seem to think he did anything wrong.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2017/03/18/ncaa-apologizes-missed-call-northwestern-gonzaga/99367820/

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Yes, the goaltend was a missed call. That was a two point error. That goaltending error was one missed call in a game that had many of them going both ways. Contrary to the Northwestern fans' narrative, that missed call did not cause a four point swing in Gonzaga's favor.

The technical foul called on Coach Collins was the RIGHT call. The Northwestern fans have no one to blame, but their coach for losing his composure and fully impeding the path of an official moving down the court. That was a boneheaded play and as inexplicable as Vanderbilt's intentional foul against Northwestern in the prior game. I have yet to hear one murmer of anger at their coach for drawing the most obvious technical foul a coach could earn without laying hands on the official.

A veteran team plays through missed calls. A veteran coach pleads his case to the officials without compromising his team's chances to win. That was a rookie mistake by the coach.

maynard g krebs
03-18-2017, 09:18 PM

Yup. I was thinking the refs were trying to make it interesting at that point. Many missed calls in that game, both ways, but could be that more of the missed calls benefitted them than us. Making an issue out of that play is like singling out one member of a 20 man firing squad and saying "he did it".

jayray
03-18-2017, 09:24 PM
FWIW, that goaltend was a missed call. That was a two point error. That goaltending error was one missed call in a game that had many of them going both ways. That missed call did not cause a four point swing in Gonzaga's favor.

The technical foul called on Coach Collins was the RIGHT call. The Northwestern fans have no one to blame, but their coach for losing his composure and fully impeding the path of an official moving down the court. That was a boneheaded play as inexplicable as Vanderbilt's intentional foul against Northwestern in the prior game. I have yet to hear one murmer of anger at their coach for drawing the most obvious technical foul a coach could earn without laying hands on the official.

A veteran team plays through missed calls. A veteran coach pleads his case to the officials without compromising his team's chances to win. That was a rookie mistake by the coach.

He should of got a T in the first half not down the stretch at the end of a close game. The goal tending call wasn't going to cost them the game but that T could of, didn't GU miss both free throws anyway? In the end it didn't matter.

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 09:28 PM
He should of got a T in the first half not down the stretch at the end of a close game. The goal tending call wasn't going to cost them the game but that T could of, didn't GU miss both free throws anyway? In the end it didn't matter.

Nigel made 2 FT for T

Williams missed 2 flagrant FT

PNW Zagfan
03-18-2017, 09:30 PM
I did think this take on NU Coach's technical was pretty funny...

"(Granted, it has to be tough for Collins; after years of playing and coaching for Duke, seeing an officiating decision go the other way must be jarring.)"

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/controversy-chris-collins-blows-game-for-northwestern-after-blowing-up-over-blown-call/ar-BByluJF?li=BBnb7Kz

jayray
03-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Nigel made 2 FT for T

Williams missed 2 flagrant FT

You are right, the link above to the msn article has a video of the whole incident and free throws. That was a full melt down by Collins, he had to know it was going to be an automatic T and the play wasn't reviewable. GU had no momentum and nothing going their way until that sequence. What a crazy game.

How did Few get his players so fired up for that first half? That had to be close to their best half of the year. Follow that by their second worst half of the year.

ZagOD7540
03-18-2017, 09:51 PM
I'm watching highlights on different networks and its pathetic. All I am hearing about is this goaltending non-call. This happened with 5 minutes left in the game. Collins ran onto the court...technical had to be called-plain and simple. This did not happen with 3 seconds to go and NW down by one. The networks aren't even showing how the Zags dismantled them in the first half. We are going to hear about this all day tomorrow and God only knows how long after that.

MJ777
03-18-2017, 10:02 PM
I'm watching highlights on different networks and its pathetic. All I am hearing about is this goaltending non-call. This happened with 5 minutes left in the game. Collins ran onto the court...technical had to be called-plain and simple. This did not happen with 3 seconds to go and NW down by one. The networks aren't even showing how the Zags dismantled them in the first half. We are going to hear about this all day tomorrow and God only knows how long after that.

Tainted

ScrapironJim
03-18-2017, 10:09 PM
Back to basics , Zag fans. Ignore the talking heads. They make their shows interesting by highlighting any type of controversy. ESPN is also making a big deal out of the Villanova loss - Wisconsin was seeded to low and the NCAA is responsible for Villanova's defeat. Ditto Wichita State. The controversy theory rules. All of the news networks follow this strategy. They are on 24 x 7 and there is not enough real news to keep people tuned in, so they make news. They believe we will tune in to hear the "fake news".

Moreover, NW came out in the second half and pursued the only hopeful strategy for them against a much better team and down by 18. They played maul-ball and the refs overlooked dozens of calls. BYU did the same thing when they got down 18-2.

See you in the next round. WE ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sittingon50
03-19-2017, 12:20 AM

To be honest, I am not remembering that issue. Do we have a link?

That happened in Chicago, right. Ironic.

SwainZag
03-19-2017, 03:01 AM
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2016/04/ncaa_admits_officials_blew_10-second_call_in_syracuse_basketball_win_over_gonzag .html

bartruff1
03-19-2017, 06:27 AM
This is a krap shoot...you need some luck to advance...the officials are human and make mistakes like everyone...

MBZags
03-19-2017, 06:42 AM
With all the whining that Collins did, I'm sure NW got plenty of make-up calls. It was so obnoxious how he and his players reacted to almost every call against them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zagcheer78
03-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Back to basics , Zag fans. Ignore the talking heads. They make their shows interesting by highlighting any type of controversy. ESPN is also making a big deal out of the Villanova loss - Wisconsin was seeded to low and the NCAA is responsible for Villanova's defeat. Ditto Wichita State. The controversy theory rules. All of the news networks follow this strategy. They are on 24 x 7 and there is not enough real news to keep people tuned in, so they make news. They believe we will tune in to hear the "fake news".

Moreover, NW came out in the second half and pursued the only hopeful strategy for them against a much better team and down by 18. They played maul-ball and the refs overlooked dozens of calls. BYU did the same thing when they got down 18-2.

See you in the next round. WE ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Northwestern was going to be the Cinderella story for this years tourney, and we messed up the story line for the sports media. As it has been noted, we have been on the short end of the stick many times and we go on. I admit I felt bad when the refs missed the goal tending call, I would prefer that we win without any question, but the refs are just human, they make mistakes.
I think if we had been playing any other team, it would have been a "well, that's the way it goes sometimes" and would be forgotten.

gonstu
03-19-2017, 07:25 AM
OK guys, you realize that the ZAG WOMEN paid a 'heavy price' for this "non-call" ... they were continually MUGGED, slammed into and a 'block' was a muscled 200 lv'er + getting the start to HACK any shot in her vicinity...Barta, Kudron, Tinkle & the lady who wears a brace for Zags, may not be able to raise their arms over their heads tomorrow a.m. Worse false of 'refereeing I've ever seen! Their consciences must have been heavy, as late in the fourth they managed to call a few....... and the TWO HAGS who announced the game, should be sent to Alaska to referee a 'hot curling' match.... one supposedly was an "all world" coach etc etc and the play by play announcer would mention it every 5 minutes..... while watching the hack jobs on the court... finally in the 3rd quarter they started to question a few calls.... and how Zag's would just get up off the floor shaking their heads....... SO THERE WAS A PRICE TO PAY for the CALL.

I've had a good 56 year rooting tenure for the Pacific Tigers and all WCC participants........ Let's hope Few and the Team use this game as 'teaching' tool and go out and "leave it all on the floor" from here on out!

So your theory is that the refs missed a goaltending call in the men's game so the ncaa told the refs to make sure the zags women lost?

zagamatic
03-19-2017, 08:43 AM
There were 3, count em 3 (that come to mind easily), out of bounds calls that went the wrong way that easily had as much impact on the overall game. The last one being the one THAT THEY REVIEWED IN SLOW MOTION that they thought went off Tillie. But if you look at it closely at the point when the ball changes direction, it's clear that the hand of the NU player hits it out, NOT Tillie's leg. This happened right in front of Few. He did not blow a gasket and get T'd up, Collins did for NU. THAT was the only difference.

jim77
03-19-2017, 08:49 AM

Their coach storming the court and getting Tee'd up was what did them in....not smart.

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 08:52 AM
What's ironic is the next series of plays melson went for layup and NW player slapped backboard while ball on rim

Goaltending.....no call. And no court storming

RenoZag
03-19-2017, 08:53 AM
It was so obnoxious how he and his players reacted to almost every call against them.

Very BYU-like behavior. . .

bartruff1
03-19-2017, 08:54 AM
So your theory is that the refs missed a goaltending call in the men's game so the ncaa told the refs to make sure the zags women lost?

That is a troubling theory....

Zigzag92
03-19-2017, 09:12 AM
the refs are atrocious in every game...to handpick one missed decision in a game full of them is just stupid. fans should express their disapproval by boycotting college basketball until the officiating improves

Birddog
03-19-2017, 09:32 AM
Very BYU-like behavior. . .

My thought exactly, it was like deja vu in purple.

demian
03-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Yes, the goaltend was a missed call. That was a two point error. That goaltending error was one missed call in a game that had many of them going both ways. Contrary to the Northwestern fans' narrative, that missed call did not cause a four point swing in Gonzaga's favor.

The technical foul called on Coach Collins was the RIGHT call. The Northwestern fans have no one to blame, but their coach for losing his composure and fully impeding the path of an official moving down the court. That was a boneheaded play and as inexplicable as Vanderbilt's intentional foul against Northwestern in the prior game. I have yet to hear one murmer of anger at their coach for drawing the most obvious technical foul a coach could earn without laying hands on the official.

I completely agree with you that coach is one of the most immature coaches I have ever watched in a game (at least he was yesterday ALL GAME LONG)

All Weather Fan
03-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Ha Ha....
Love the BYU reference. Watching the NU - Vandy game, I mentioned to my daughter that the NU fans in attendance never saw a call they couldn't boo. Very Marriott Center-ish.

sittingon50
03-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Ha Ha....
Love the BYU reference. Watching the NU - Vandy game, I mentioned to my daughter that the NU fans in attendance never saw a call they couldn't boo. Very Marriott Center-ish.

Is there something in the air in the Salt Lake Basin?

dhozagfan08
03-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Only reason it is such a big issue is because of the technical, which made it an even bigger swing. He had been earning that technical all game, it should have been called earlier, then he would have learned his lesson and this whole issue would have been avoided. My wife kept saying "I thought they were supposed to emphasize that the coaches have to stay off the court in the tournament". Even when it's an emphasis, it's still not emphasized.

sittingon50
03-19-2017, 11:16 AM
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2016/04/ncaa_admits_officials_blew_10-second_call_in_syracuse_basketball_win_over_gonzag .html

Thanks very much, Swain.

hondo
03-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Blame the camera. Basketball is a very difficult game to officiate. Even the very best refs can't possibly see everything that happens on the court for 40 minutes. Dozens if not more significant things happen in any basketball game that could be called or not called or maybe they are not even seen by the three guys in striped shirts.
In this case the camera caught basket interference very well. In fact the video was so good that the talking heads had something of substance to rant about for a long time. That is what those guys get paid to do. Were there several other violations in the game that were not caught on video or by the refs? Without a doubt. The reason this incident got so much attention is that the video was very good.
My main concern at the time is how easily Zack could have broken his hand on that play.

MJ777
03-19-2017, 11:53 AM
Blame the camera. Basketball is a very difficult game to officiate. Even the very best refs can't possibly see everything that happens on the court for 40 minutes. Dozens if not more significant things happen in any basketball game that could be called or not called or maybe they are not even seen by the three guys in striped shirts.
In this case the camera caught basket interference very well. In fact the video was so good that the talking heads had something of substance to rant about for a long time. That is what those guys get paid to do. Were there several other violations in the game that were not caught on video or by the refs? Without a doubt. The reason this incident got so much attention is that the video was very good.
My main concern at the time is how easily Zack could have broken his hand on that play.

Yes, the announcers did not see it either until they saw the replay. I also thought ZC was lucky he didn't hurt his hand. If I were him though I would have admitted that I blocked the shot in the cylinder in the press conference, but I also would have emphasized that it was unintentional since it is a violation.

Zags11
03-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Their coach storming the court and getting Tee'd up was what did them in....not smart.

Cost them the game in my books.