PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-NW

Section 116
03-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Hudson & Santangelo: Advance to Sweet 16 for third straight season. It was NW didn't believe anymore in the first half, but as soon as they cracked it just a little bit in the second half, the light went on the crowd got behind them. Free throws down the stretch were big. (From TV-NW was plus 21 from three in the second half).

Mathews: I can't describe how happy I am right now, I almost cried. It's almost like a fight out here. We had them down 18 and then Law hit that three from the corner and was like their whole team grew two inches. They said NW had a lot to play for but we had a lot to play for too. When you're a Zag you play to win. 14 points and 7 rebounds for Mathews.

Hudson and Santangelo: After holding NW to a tournament low 20 in the first half they gave up 53 in the second. NW kept coming and kept hitting big shots but GU did just enough to hold them off. GU shot 44% from the field. NW 41%. Zags 23-36 from the free throw line, NW 11-13 (That is the difference there my friends)! NW showed a ton of character, they just kept coming. A 21-8 run in the second helped NW get back to 63-58. Yes, they did mention the fact Zach's hand went up through the cylinder and the refs missed the call. Santangelo and Hudson freely admitted that was a huge turning point. They also mentioned the arena was as loud as any arena they have ever heard in an NCAA game when Mathews made the big layup late to put the Zags up by 8. The two handed flush by Tillie put the Zags up by nine and the GU hit some big free throws down the stretch.

Michaelson: This felt a little like SMC all over again when we played the great 17 minutes, that;s the kind of defense we played in the first half. Law hit that one big three Our young bigs made some free throws, got some rebounds. Mathews was unbelievably good. He has just slowly but surely become a better rebounder down the stretch. Three straight sweet 16's for our program is huge. Only 6 other teams have down that. This is an entirely new group, so for them to do what they did is just an awesome thing.

Hudson & Santangelo: GU did a great job of getting out in transition in the first half, not so much in the second. Two games in the a row the Zags have really struggled from three. Your margin of error just goes down so much when you miss all those free throws as well. When Law got himself going in the second half, that was as big a reason as any NW got back in the game, and really got the crowd going. 1-11 from three in the first half, 7-13 in the second. That's about it.

ZagOD7540
03-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Where is this feed?? I'm getting the GU girls game on 1510

Section 116
03-18-2017, 04:18 PM
That's weird, the feed is 1510 KGA at my house. Are you sure you aren't on 790AM?

CDC84
03-18-2017, 05:31 PM
It goes to show you that the coaches feel a bit differently than the fans do. Yes, there will be challenges issued and guys exposed during film study from today's game, but the bottom line in this tourney is just to survive and get the heck to the next round. You have to find a way to win. And making the S-16 does matter, even if you're a one seed.

jazzdelmar
03-18-2017, 05:32 PM
These notes are so often an alternate reality.

zag buddy
03-18-2017, 05:42 PM
tx section 116

GoZags
03-18-2017, 05:47 PM
These notes are so often an alternate reality.

Or perhaps they don't look at things the worse possible way imaginable (after a victory)

jazzdelmar
03-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Or perhaps they don't look at things the worse possible way imaginable (after a victory)

No, that's not it. I know spin, trust me. But thanks.

cjm720
03-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Thx, 116....

Bring on WV!!!

bartruff1
03-19-2017, 09:07 AM
Thanks 116....some observations from the players and the coaches immediately after the game are the best post game posts...

Mathews has brought some real refuse to lose attitude to the games...