PDA

View Full Version : Barkley speaking the truth

Ekrub
03-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Listen to what he said post game. Truth.

gobroncsgozags
03-18-2017, 03:58 PM

Exactly right. Kinda what Few's teams do though.

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 03:58 PM
34-1........

gonzagafan62
03-18-2017, 03:59 PM
I'd rather be us than villanova.... survive and advance

Bogozags
03-18-2017, 04:01 PM
T E N T A T I V E

That is GU and if we play that way next Thursday we will be 34-2...some how the staff has to look at film and see what we see...

Birddog
03-18-2017, 04:01 PM
The panel was right on the money!

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2017, 04:02 PM
I hope that "gets back to Few and some reporter has enough nerve to ask him about it.

zag buddy
I agree. We get so conservative when we are ahead that it changes our momentum and puts us on our heels with aggressive opponents that are trying to win the game. We play to just hang on. If your up 18 points try to get up 28 points. It's like we don't want to make the other team look bad

MontanaCoyote

'Got to figure out their "lapses.' 5 days to do it. Lapses = Collapses = Losses

CaliZag07
03-18-2017, 04:03 PM
It'll be a moot point if we can't take care of the ball against WVU's pressure defense. We play so tight with a big lead.

Big question is whether the benching of JWIII, Karno, and Perk will help them to focus and play like they were for the first 29 games of the year. I'm interested to see how they respond.

zagsfanforlife
03-18-2017, 04:04 PM
But Fews team have always played like this... why??

Name a Zags team that stepped on the throat when up big?

Spokaneer
I agree with Chuck, but poor defense and turnovers changed the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MontanaCoyote
I agree. We get so conservative when we are ahead that it changes our momentum and puts us on our heels with aggressive opponents that are trying to win the game. We play to just hang on. If your up 18 points try to get up 28 points. It's like we don't want to make the other team look bad

We too nice? Time to step on some necks!

23dpg
03-18-2017, 04:07 PM

To be fair, this team has put away teams most of the year. Their record vs the spread is amazing.
I can't explain the second half of this game though. No words

Ezag
03-18-2017, 04:07 PM
When we have a near Flawless first half be nervous the second half because it's never the same. FT shooting is going to be our Achilles heel

Worthington
03-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Pundits knew that was coming at halftime and so did us fans. We're a missed goaltending call away from a Wichita St. situation. We won't ever make a final four if closing out games convincingly becomes a consistent problem for our teams

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 04:09 PM
When we have a near Flawless first half be nervous the second half because it's never the same. FT shooting is going to be our Achilles heel

Along with incredibly stupid TOs

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-18-2017, 04:11 PM
For the life of me, I can't understand why this team didn't attack the basket relentlessly during in the closing minutes. The Wildcats had three players defending with four fouls including their undersized center. That is one thing that Coach Bennett and Coach Rose do better than Coach Few. They design plays to isolate defenders in foul trouble, because they know that those players must defend tentatively.

Ekrub
03-18-2017, 04:11 PM

This team for a substantial part of the year. Regressing in that regard though. We have F4 talent.

zag buddy
03-18-2017, 04:33 PM
If you go 8 minutes without a basket, why not go back to what worked the 1st half and get aggressive again.

Zags11
03-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Thread will be 1-starred soon.

Zags11
03-18-2017, 04:44 PM
34-1........

Still doesn't excuse the fact we lose 15+ leads in march. Yes we are 34-1 and we won.

Zags11
03-18-2017, 04:44 PM
I hope that "gets back to Few and some reporter has enough nerve to ask him about it.

Can u 1-star it? ;)

Zags11
03-18-2017, 04:45 PM
I agree with Chuck, but poor defense and turnovers changed the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We chewed clock and took foot off. I agree with other 2 points though.

Pallet
03-18-2017, 04:48 PM

The '98 team was pretty good at it

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 04:51 PM
Still doesn't excuse the fact we lose 15+ leads in march. Yes we are 34-1 and we won.

did Few make adjustments?

did we win?

Zags11
03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
did Few make adjustments?

did we win?

Kinda I guess. We got away with a blown call that we probably would of lost if it was called. Then they got a tech. We were in full meltdown mode again. Yes we did win but IMO its cuz of that missed call and tech. Not much to do with adjustments. Analysts see this now. People constantly blame the players but they come and go.

Few is a great coach but cuz people point out a negative, doesn't mean they hate him.

CDC84
03-18-2017, 05:02 PM
Contrary to what some are saying, the Zags took some questionable shots way too early in the shot clock in the final three minutes. If you have an 8 point lead in that situation, unless you have a dunk, you need to milk the shot clock and lesson the amount of possessions in the game.

Where I do feel Barkley is correct is that NW had zero business EVER getting this game into single digits to begin with. The Zags played tentatively and made a bunch of dumb TO's. Not enough attack. They have this habit of either losing their focus coming out of the locker room, or losing their focus around the 12 minute mark. What they need to do is keep attacking so that when you get to that 3 minute mark, the game is pretty much over. You don't have to deal with pressure foul shots and all the rest.

BobZag
03-18-2017, 05:19 PM
Don't care about style points, that's for regular season.

Now: Just win, baby!

zag buddy
03-18-2017, 05:20 PM
It's simple, keep doing what got you ahead. Period.

10 Piece Bucket
03-18-2017, 05:22 PM
I have faith in the lads- the coaches- and am trying to not obsess

Ekrub
03-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Contrary to what some are saying, the Zags took some questionable shots way too early in the shot clock in the final three minutes. If you have an 8 point lead in that situation, unless you have a dunk, you need to milk the shot clock and lesson the amount of possessions in the game.

Where I do feel Barkley is correct is that NW had zero business EVER getting this game into single digits to begin with. The Zags played tentatively and made a bunch of dumb TO's. Not enough attack. They have this habit of either losing their focus coming out of the locker room, or losing their focus around the 12 minute mark. What they need to do is keep attacking so that when you get to that 3 minute mark, the game is pretty much over. You don't have to deal with pressure foul shots and all the rest.

Not enough attack is right. That's been a complaint for a whIle now. Need to adjust.

bartruff1
03-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Losing big leads happens to every team in every sport....the Super Bowl....the World Series....The NBA......good teams will come back from a big deficit .... they won...period....

Calipari says this is a two game tournament...if you win, there is another two game tournament....and yes...another..

He doesn't even watch the other games or think about anything but the game he has to win to advance.....next week, everyone still playing is starting over ..0/0.

Ekrub
03-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Losing big leads happens to every team in every sport....the Super Bowl....the World Series....The NBA......good teams will come back from a big deficit .... they won...period....

Calipari says this is a two game tournament...if you win, there is another two game tournament....and yes...another..

He doesn't even watch the other games or think about anything but the game he has to win to advance.....next week, everyone still playing is starting over ..0/0.

Except the times it doesn't. We are 20 points better than NW. Need to keep that killer intinct.

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Kinda I guess. We got away with a blown call that we probably would of lost if it was called. Then they got a tech. We were in full meltdown mode again. Yes we did win but IMO its cuz of that missed call and tech. Not much to do with adjustments. Analysts see this now. People constantly blame the players but they come and go.

Few is a great coach but cuz people point out a negative, doesn't mean they hate him.

OK .....

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 05:32 PM

This is the only way to do it.

My old nothing but Frosh ball coach used to do it. "We're up 18. Throw that out. We're down 5 and I want this half. I want to win this half more than the last one. From here out, we're down 5 and I want to win by 10. - Let's go!"

Gimmicky? Yep. Should it be necessary? Nope. But, they gotta do something.

Zigzag92
03-18-2017, 05:34 PM
its not mark fews fault...its because we play games for three months that dont prepare us for the tournament, that dont prepare us for tight games and even if it is a tight game we usually pull it out.

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 06:00 PM
idk, Zags attacked with NWG as we all wanted and expected but he came up with some misses in situations and shots he's been great in mostly all year. maybe more ball movement as others have mentioned to get the defense moving before attacking but would take NWG off the ball.......

anyway, just rewatched much of second half. with 10 minutes to go, 58-44, many things happened the next 5 minutes including NWG missing a 3 and then turning it over and then missing three straight mid rangers. that 5 minutes saw the lead drop to 63-58. NWG then hit 2 FTs but followed that with a missed 3 and another missed jumper before hitting 1-2 late FTs (pretty sure that is accurate, did it quickly).
Nigel is the guy we all want to see with the ball and late and it was a lot, but it didn't happen for him in those situations today with some tough shots mixed in with some where he seemed to feel pressured (the air ball)

NWG gets more typical production down the stretch and things are much different, perhpas shot selection was somethign but whatever, he looked to take over, which is GREAT and shows his competitive spirit and courage and self belief, which he's earned. I'm betting he expresses himself in a special way next game vs. WV

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 06:05 PM
idk, Zags attacked with NWG as we all wanted and expected but he came up with some misses in situations and shots he's been great in mostly all year. maybe more ball movement as others have mentioned to get the defense moving before attacking but would take NWG off the ball.......

anyway, just rewatched much of second half. with 10 minutes to go, 58-44, many things happened the next 5 minutes including NWG missing a 3 and then turning it over and then missing three straight mid rangers. that 5 minutes saw the lead drop to 63-58. NWG then hit 2 FTs but followed that with a missed 3 and another missed jumper before hitting 1-2 late FTs (pretty sure that is accurate, did it quickly).
Nigel is the guy we all want to see with the ball and late and it was a lot, but it didn't happen for him in those situations today with some tough shots mixed in with some where he seemed to feel pressured (the air ball)

NWG gets more typical production down the stretch and things are much different, perhpas shot selection was somethign but whatever, he looked to take over, which is GREAT and shows his competitive spirit and courage and self belief, which he's earned. I'm betting he expresses himself in a special way next game vs. WV

Nice find.

He's they one most capable of immediately turning it around, though.

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 06:11 PM
Nice find.

He's they one most capable of immediately turning it around, though.

takes pressure off everyone else when he does too. they weren't bad shots necessarily. the rhythm of the offense stagnated seemed like without getting stops over and over on D to feed the break. it was a grinder and very physical 2nd half on O