PDA

View Full Version : Shem, JWIII and Perk rode the bench for the last seven minutes of the game

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2017, 03:53 PM
And it was absolutely the right thing to do. So proud of him to go with the better players over the veterans.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 03:54 PM
The poor play by Perkins for several games, and PK last two games, does not bode well.

And the awful FT shooting by Matthews and Williams and Melson.

webspinnre
03-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Part of it is also matchups. Love that we had the right guys for the right matchups.

Virginia Zags Fan
If JWIII would have made one free throw he might have been left in. Mt K had a tough game, but did hit his free throws.

gonzagafan62
He did the opposite of last year (leaving out eMac) but he did the right thing.

Better to be Gonzaga then Villanova

krozman
03-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Charles Barkley got it 100% right on TV. Gonzaga doesn't know how to stay aggressive when they go into "conservative" mode and they get lazy and sloppy.

thespywhozaggedme
JWIII's granny at the carnival flick of the wrist push shot free-throw shooting motion is atrocious.

ZagLawGrad
...Better to be Gonzaga then Villanova

Good analysis. :cheers:

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 03:57 PM
JWIII's granny at the carnival flick of the wrist push shot free-throw shooting motion is atrocious.

Bend the knees....please

jazzdelmar
Charles Barkley got it 100% right on TV. Gonzaga doesn't know how to stay aggressive when they go into "conservative" mode and they get lazy and sloppy.
1000000000%

ZagLawGrad

Achilles heel, if they have one.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Bend the knees....please

It's not his knees, it is actual shooting motion. He doesn't bring his forearms back enough, he push shots at

DixieZag
Thank god Few went with the best line-up. At least for today, maybe going forward. Years past, he would've kept pounding the starters hoping they turn it around.

We are damn lucky to still be playing.

Virginia Zags Fan
Josh is a head case right now. Sometimes plays great and other times he is out of it. His D in the first half was great. He came out in the second lacking energy and arguing with the ref.

Birddog
03-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Shem and JW3 because of FT's, Perkins for ballhandling. I love the Gazelle lineup, they can play fast and furious. That experience for Tillie, Melson, and Collins bodes well.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Josh is a head case right now. Sometimes plays great and other times he is out of it. His D in the first half was great. He came out in the second lacking energy and arguing with the ref.

His TOs are atrocious.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Look, I don't mind if the Zags lose after playing a game to the best of their ability. However, the second half was tough. It felt like the SMC game in Vegas, but they never got their mojo back in this game IMHO. At least they won't be over confident when they play WVU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Look, I don't mind if the Zags lose after playing a game to the best of their ability. However, the second half was tough. It felt like the SMC game in Vegas, but they never got their mojo back in this game IMHO. At least they won't be over confident when they play WVU.

IMO they won't be up 20 at half, maybe like 5, or down 5, which gives us a much better shot at playing a full game.

GonzagasaurusFlex

Yeah, what happened to the Josh Perkins who looks for his shot and knocks down jumpers?

Ezag
As they all should have. All three had a terrible second half. I don't know what's up with JP. I'm liking Melson out there a lot more than JP right now. This team ain't playing like the best ever

bartruff1
03-18-2017, 04:10 PM
I got my money's worth, this is as far as I thought they would go..the rest is gravy...if the ref hadn't blown the call on Collins this might have ranked up there with some other infamous losses....

team6
03-18-2017, 04:10 PM
1000000000%

I second that 1000000000000% Barkley hit it dead on. Zags should have won this game 30+

Hoopaholic
03-18-2017, 04:12 PM
His TOs are atrocious.

You mean his single one for the game?

team6
03-18-2017, 04:12 PM
IMO they won't be up 20 at half, maybe like 5, or down 5, which gives us a much better shot at playing a full game.

I was just talking with my dad about this and he said the exact same thing. I agree

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 04:14 PM
His TOs are atrocious.

he can have some bad ones, but in the last 4 games he's credited with only 1 I believe

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Yeah, what happened to the Josh Perkins who looks for his shot and knocks down jumpers?

I think he got the message to stop turning the ball over or go to the bench, and he's responded. my opinion

CDC84
03-18-2017, 04:15 PM
I was surprised that the announcers were so surprised. Few has gone with this arrangement before....albeit maybe for not as long of a duration. If Few had left JWIII and Karno in there, NW would've started fouling them. Zach and Tillie are excellent foul shooters. And by not having Karno out there, you get more defensive versatility. If JWIII could even shoot 70% from the stripe he would've been in there instead of Tillie. Was very proud of GU's freshmen bigs. Two of the post moves that Zach made in the second half were truly special.

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 04:17 PM

interesting and maybe! though I'll take the great first half and lousy second if it's a W because the first half was so dominant

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 04:18 PM
I was surprised that the announcers were so surprised. Few has gone with this arrangement before....albeit maybe for not as long of a duration. If Few had left JWIII and Karno in there, NW would've started fouling them. Zach and Tillie are excellent foul shooters. And by not having Karno out there, you get more defensive versatility. If JWIII could even shoot 70% from the stripe he would've been in there instead of Tillie. Was very proud of GU's freshmen bigs. Two of the post moves that Zach made in the second half were truly special.

bingo

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 04:19 PM
His TOs are atrocious.

1 amongst many at all the worst times. So it seems. Lucky he rode the pine the last few minutes.

bartruff1
03-18-2017, 04:20 PM
He did the opposite of last year (leaving out eMac) but he did the right thing.

Better to be Gonzaga then Villanova

Didn't Nova lose a big lead ?? Survive and move on....no style points...

MiamiZags
03-18-2017, 04:21 PM
And the awful FT shooting by Matthews and Williams and Melson.

Melson FT shooting? He did miss the front end of a 1 and 1 today but besides that he's 7 of his last 8 in recent games and 86% for the season.

ZagOD7540

Unfortunately its gotten worse as the year has progressed. NWG and Collins have to have their hands on the ball at the end of the game when teams are fouling.

maynard g krebs
Shem and JW3 because of FT's, Perkins for ballhandling.

Perkins has played 124 minutes in 5 postseason games. He has 7 assists and 2 turnovers in those 124 minutes. He's doing next to nothing positive, but he's avoiding mistakes. Not shooting either, or penetrating.

I'd rather see him play aggressively and turn it over a couple of times and start scoring again.

NWG 6/19 today, three turnovers (plus a couple of forced lobs to the posts who then turned it over in traffic) because he's forcing it 1 on 1. Ten total assists for the team on 26 baskets. Need to get back to balanced backcourt play, and Josh needs to return to being himself and being more aggressive on offense even if that means a mistake here and there.

NWG shot 31% today w/ a 1.3 a/to ratio; rest of team shot 50.

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Didn't Nova lose a big lead ?? Survive and move on....no style points...

hallelujah

ZagOD7540
03-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Melson FT shooting? He did miss the front end of a 1 and 1 today but besides that he's 7 of his last 8 in recent games and 86% for the season.

Agree-I think Melson is a great FT shooter. He's gotten much better and more confident over the last couple of years

Hoopaholic
03-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Perkins has played 124 minutes in 5 postseason games. He has 7 assists and 2 turnovers in those 124 minutes. He's doing next to nothing positive, but he's avoiding mistakes. Not shooting either, or penetrating.

I'd rather see him play aggressively and turn it over a couple of times and start scoring again.

NWG 6/19 today, three turnovers (plus a couple of forced lobs to the posts who then turned it over in traffic) because he's forcing it 1 on 1. Ten total assists for the team on 26 baskets. Need to get back to balanced backcourt play, and Josh needs to return to being himself and being more aggressive on offense even if that means a mistake here and there.

Agree great assessment

Mantua
03-18-2017, 04:26 PM
JWIII had 3 turnovers. That stretch in the second half with our rebounders falling to the floor and losing the ball was painful to watch. I think we got fouled during those episodes but we can't play like that and expect to get the calls. Early three transition shots have become a bad habit that leads to poor rebounding.

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 04:29 PM

this sounds great but easier said and hoped for than done. Josh will get another chance so we're all hoping he's got the next phase in his rebuilding of himself that includes some of that without the turnovers. Few could help by running stuff for him. on NWG, he's forced things in games before, it happens when you try to take over soemtimes but think Silas balanced the backcourt nicely I thought tonight and NWG just had his own struggles. He boarded great though, all the guards, great sign that.

MickMick
03-18-2017, 04:34 PM
In baseball you remember timely hits.

In the tournament you remember timely turnovers.

CDC84
03-18-2017, 04:35 PM
I hate 16-20 pt. leads at the half. They aren't large enough to say the game is over, but they are large enough for your players to become lazy and unfocused.

ezcure17
03-18-2017, 04:37 PM
U know what worries me more? Our lack of assists in the past 6 or so games we used to have like 15-20 a game Now not even close we need to get everyone involved in the offense again btw Xavier killed fsu Guess how many assists 20

TravelinZag
03-18-2017, 04:37 PM

+1 Good omen for the rest of this season and the next. Finally the depth showed the flexibility this team possesses. All they need is desire. It's been a long season for all teams, but those that want it most will prevail.

Hoopaholic
03-18-2017, 04:39 PM
U know what worries me more? Our lack of assists in the past 6 or so games we used to have like 15-20 a game Now not even close we need to get everyone involved in the offense again btw Xavier killed fsu Guess how many assists 20

This. Ball been sticking and hero ball has raised its head at times

jazzdelmar
03-18-2017, 04:41 PM
+1 Good omen for the rest of this season and the next. Finally the depth showed the flexibility this team possesses. All they need is desire. It's been a long season for all teams, but those that want it most will prevail.

Next?

Zaga
03-18-2017, 04:44 PM
I second that 1000000000000% Barkley hit it dead on. Zags should have won this game 30+

Another tale of two halves. IMO the Zag's cannot win the next game with their Ft% and tentative guard play. Awesome defense in the first half....Nice to see Few let the Freshmen win the game for us. Come on Zag's it's win or go home time. FOCUS for 40

MickMick
03-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Fortunately, Few had JP riding pine at crunch time. As long as that continues I don't feel compelled to argue with the apologists. In the end, all I care about is if the damage is mitigated.

Thanks coach.

10 Piece Bucket
03-18-2017, 04:45 PM
I am hoping that they start tough and stay tough- no let up- focus, focus, focus, and no motioning for the crowd to "shush"... If the Zags had lost we would have had to endure the entire NW student body "shushing" us!!!

JAGzag
03-18-2017, 04:46 PM
I hate 16-20 pt. leads at the half. They aren't large enough to say the game is over, but they are large enough for your players to become lazy and unfocused.

Dead. On. Zags kill it in the second half when they need to adjust. Seems every game this year with a big lead at half they get lazy!

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 04:49 PM

Exactly. Said it to everyone I watched with, said on the game thread, they'll come back, just hope to stop it before a tie. It's uncanny. TV audience sees 18 pt halftime lead and switches channels, we all know it's going to be a tight game.

It's got to drive the coaches crazy, trying to figure out what they themselves are doing wrong, b/c it's on them - a pattern going back years, and hope to change it. I hope we're tied against WVU at half.

Zags11
03-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Exactly. Said it to everyone I watched with, said on the game thread, they'll come back, just hope to stop it before a tie. It's uncanny. TV audience sees 18 pt halftime lead and switches channels, we all know it's going to be a tight game.

It's got to drive the coaches crazy, trying to figure out what they themselves are doing wrong, b/c it's on them - a pattern going back years, and hope to change it. I hope we're tied against WVU at half.

Well said.

Stache
03-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Josh's decisions, particularly in stress situations (end of game), can be fixed, but not during game time in March.

krozman
03-18-2017, 05:15 PM
I think Karno was taken out because he didn't even LOOK for the pass most of the time when he was being doubled. I find that quality the one thing no other team in College BBall has as well, and when he stops doing that Collins is simply the better choice, and the better FT shooter down the line. Same thing with Williams. He missed 4 straight FTs and having turnovers is just a terrible combo for the 2nd half. Even NWG forced shots when everyone was struggling, trying to take the game over but making poor decisions. The stress of game management is terrible for them and I think they stopped having fun. This is definitely a lesson Mark Few will use as we go into tougher competition, so theres your lemonade in the 2nd half lemon farm.

maynard g krebs
03-18-2017, 05:15 PM
His TOs are atrocious.

JP two turnovers in 124 minutes the last 5 games. NWG had 3 today. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

jazzdelmar
03-18-2017, 05:18 PM
JP two turnovers in 124 minutes the last 5 games. NWG had 3 today. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Stevie Wonder must have been official scorer if josh had only one.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 05:19 PM

He's had plenty. Pick 5 games if you want. But he has had plenty. Thanks goodness he was on the bench for the last 6 or 7 minutes today. Might have helped that stat.

drvenkman05
03-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Honestly, there is no point in even arguing with these folks. No data, logic, etc. will change their locked-in narrative.

BayAreaZagFan
03-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Hate to say it. Start Collins. Bring in Shem when he gets into foul trouble.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Zagger
03-18-2017, 06:00 PM
Keep in mind that the Zags have only lost one game this season. The team was celebrating pretty well in the locker room after today's game. We really ought to be celebrating along with them ...... Yeah, I know we're in it for the Zags too - we want them to play perfectly. What they are doing is turning out well though. Next game please :)

BTW - St Mary's is giving Arizona a good game. I think SMC has lead most of it although it's 53-48 now with 7:04 left in 2nd half. Go Gaels!

Ezag
03-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Yes, but no way coach is pulling NWG. Perkins yeah

john montana
03-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Survive and advance. Loved that few went with the freshmen duo and Melson. We needed free throw shooting and melson was playing better than Josh the way I saw it. Little surprised to see only one turnover for Josh, I saw a couple more than that. We will need a smart game from Josh against WV.

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 06:10 PM

why do you think Perkins was on the bench at the end?

ZagMan in Philly
03-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Hate to say it. Start Collins. Bring in Shem when he gets into foul trouble.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

i love Zach to death, but have to disagree with you. Shem is the starter, unless his is not healthy.

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 06:16 PM
i love Zach to death, but have to disagree with you. Shem is the starter, unless his is not healthy.

i really think Przemek has a cold....kept coughing into his arm on the bench....could be wrong

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Be that as it may, we're not getting the production out of him that his talent level dictates he can/should.

We all (nearly all) love the kid and so it's maddening, whether you call it turnovers or whatever, the eye test really should be taking into account Maynard - and I respect your observations as much as anyone on the board.

If he were an average player, or a bad guy, no one would really discuss it much - just what it is. But we know what he can do, and if he got back to what he can do, we'd be so much stronger. Just normal 3pt shooting for him would mean everything.

StocktonZag
03-18-2017, 06:18 PM
From my 10,000 foot view, it was not so much Few's lack of confidence in his starters...Did anyone else observe that Tillian and Zach grew up some today? And...that they opened some eyes on a national stage. I was fortunate to watch them up close an personal in Stockton earlier in the year. Those two take the Zags to a new level. I'm all in any time Coach wants to put his confidence in them.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 06:21 PM

Hard for some to answer with head in sand, or elsewhere.

CanadianZagsFan
03-18-2017, 06:21 PM

Barkley is usually correct on blank team statements. I more often think it/say it .. then I hear him say it in pretty much exact same words. Like clockwork.

Kenny on other hand ... I'm worlds APART from that guy but he said nice things about GU today.

Kellogg is great NCAA mind, like him best over all of them I'd say across all tv platforms.

MDABE80
03-18-2017, 06:30 PM
It's never ONE thing with Josh. His performance is what is of worry. The data can be argued but it's how he plays.....it's just not quality secure, smart play. One gam it might be TO's or lack of good shooting. Judgement, slow uninterested play.....something different every game. With his offense, it's 4 on 5. It's how these things are tied together. The data some harp on are misleading. It's just the overall play that's lacking...... It was the same last year. EMAC was a life saver till Few took him out.......
NG? Great performance but it was so out of character with the shushing thing.

Let me say this: If we play WVU like we've one that last two games, they finish us fast. Few has 4 days to figure this out. Not a good sign when the starters are in doubt. Shifting personnel in the last game or so bodes bad. And one more thing, Few needs to turn those kids loose so they stay on the attack for an entire game. This relaxation period in the second half will end this season quickly. WVU plays a whole game and it's ferocious. The kill you on defense.

Personally I don't give one chit about the goaltending. We killed em in the first half and then coasted. SO what? We did enough to win.

jazzdelmar
03-18-2017, 06:34 PM
It's never ONE thing with Josh. His performance is what is of worry. The data can be argued but it's how he plays.....it's just not quality secure, smart play. One gam it might be TO's or lack of good shooting. Judgement, slow uninterested play.....something different every game. With his offense, it's 4 on 5. It's how these things are tied together. The data some harp on are misleading. It's just the overall play that's lacking...... It was the same last year. EMAC was a life saver till Few took him out.......

Let me say this: If we play WVU like we've one that last two games, they finish us fast. Few has 4 days to figure this out. Not a good sign when the starters are in doubt. Shifting personnel in the last game or so bodes bad. And one more thing, Few needs to turn those kids loose so they stay on the attack for an entire game. This relaxation period in the second half will end this season quickly. WVU plays a whole game and it's ferocious. The kill you on defense.

Personally I don't give one chit about the goaltending. We killed em in the first half and then coasted. SO what? We did enough to win.

Thus spake Docathustra

MickMick
03-18-2017, 06:38 PM

One turnover is outstanding. The root cause analysis for this great statistic indicates that the bench was being warmed at crunch time. In other words, this great result was a product of Few's decision making. When the stage got a little too big is when the countermeasures were appropriately taken.

maynard g krebs
03-18-2017, 07:03 PM
He's had plenty. Pick 5 games if you want. But he has had plenty. Thanks goodness he was on the bench for the last 6 or 7 minutes today. Might have helped that stat.

I have researched and posted plenty of data re Josh's turnover numbers, which are far lower than Dickau's and Stepp's (both about 50% higher than JP's) were as juniors and seniors. Over the course of his career. I assume you weren't reading, and aren't interested in facts now, so I won't bother to repeat them.

The current issue isn't turnovers, it's playing too cautiously to contribute anything positive. And that's what the coaches are having him do.

CanadianZagsFan
03-18-2017, 07:05 PM

I get what you are saying but don't expect NWG numbers in conference shooting % to come back up vs likes of WVU/Arizona , maybe Duke. Those are MONSTER programs.

Sometimes you have to give other team credit. Teams are playing their off guard/wing guy on him!!?

MDABE80
03-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Point being this: we can complain forever, till l Few thinks he's got someone better, ...........well you know the rest. I just don't understand what's so abruptly gone wrong. Doesn't matter though....we are what we are the rest of the way in. WVU will be tough next Thursday. Can Jesse Wade start early??;)

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2017, 07:07 PM

Gotta disagree with you on this one. One of these guys will be a lottery pick next year, or mid first rounder this year, the other will be an undrafted free agent. ZC is the superior player to Shem, Shem is the senior leader.

bartruff1
03-18-2017, 07:08 PM
I am hoping that they start tough and stay tough- no let up- focus, focus, focus, and no motioning for the crowd to "shush"... If the Zags had lost we would have had to endure the entire NW student body "shushing" us!!!

I thought that was really bush league and I hope Few tells him to knock it off...maybe a coincidence but he played like krap the rest of the game,,

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Josh doing good things on D Docathustra, and moving the ball on O which has been a missing piece of the Zag O puzzle, just watch the last 10 minutes of today's win.
the reason the Zags lost their lead and pants got tight had to do with others much more than with him, my opinion, as they were on the floor. But it's true Josh's second half was not as good as his first, but he was hardly alone there. agreed or no Doca?

maynard g krebs
03-18-2017, 07:10 PM

because he's lost confidence, of course, and mostly, like the other starters who joined him there, he was 1/5 from the ft line last game. Obviously hurting.

The bashers don't help. Players and families and friends read the board.

ProVeeZag

It's getting worse and worse, hard to watch that. He's created a bad, bad habit there.

Ekrub
I have researched and posted plenty of data re Josh's turnover numbers, which are far lower than Dickau's and Stepp's (both about 50% higher than JP's) were as juniors and seniors. Over the course of his career. I assume you weren't reading, and aren't interested in facts now, so I won't bother to repeat them.

The current issue isn't turnovers, it's playing too cautiously to contribute anything positive. And that's what the coaches are having him do.

JP'S is nothing like those two. His turnovers are glaring because he isn't asked to do much in this offense.

maynard g krebs
03-18-2017, 07:16 PM

There were several imaginary ones, according to a number of posters. Are you adding those? I have the game taped. If you could point out the times that the others occurred, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 07:18 PM

Sure, I'm interested in facts. But stats only go so far. He was on the bench at the end of the game. He has drifted into making bad plays at bad times, or making no plays when as the PG he needs to make plays. He seems to have a confidence problem that has resulted in him not contributing much as of late. I seem to remember Stepp and DD contributing quite a bit on the scoring end. I do agree he is playing passive. If he doesn't change it pretty quick, he will get steamrolled the rest of the way. And this team will suffer. Maybe he will overcome it. Hopefully.

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 07:18 PM

so you believe coaches are the issue?

You have inside knowledge to the coaches specific instruction to Perkins?

maynard g krebs
03-18-2017, 07:19 PM
JP'S is nothing like those two. His turnovers are glaring because he isn't asked to do much in this offense.

Last year he was the primary pg. He was terrible in turning the ball over the first month, and then corrected the problem, with a 2.7a/to ratio the last 27 games of last season, averaging 4+ assists to 1.7 turnovers. Lots of selective memory.

maynard g krebs
03-18-2017, 07:25 PM
so you believe coaches are the issue?

You have inside knowledge to the coaches specific instruction to Perkins?

I'm making an assumption based on how he's playing. I didn't say "coaches are the issue"; that's putting words in my mouth. The issue is his confidence level; and I think the coaches are trying to rebuild it by having him avoid mistakes after BYU. Just my opinion of course; thought that was obvious enough.

Of course I'm extrapolating; Few is conservative, hates mistakes etc.

maynard g krebs
03-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Sure, I'm interested in facts. But stats only go so far. He was on the bench at the end of the game. He has drifted into making bad plays at bad times, or making no plays when as the PG he needs to make plays. He seems to have a confidence problem that has resulted in him not contributing much as of late. I seem to remember Stepp and DD contributing quite a bit on the scoring end. I do agree he is playing passive. If he doesn't change it pretty quick, he will get steamrolled the rest of the way. And this team will suffer. Maybe he will overcome it. Hopefully.

Agree with most of that. It's just the turnover myth that I disagree with.

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm making an assumption based on how he's playing. I didn't say "coaches are the issue"; that's putting words in my mouth. The issue is his confidence level; and I think the coaches are trying to rebuild it by having him avoid mistakes after BYU. Just my opinion of course; thought that was obvious enough.

Of course I'm extrapolating; Few is conservative, hates mistakes etc.

agree....and my assumption for Perkins reduced minutes......his defense can get sloppy with to much hand grabbing and pushing.....IMO

ProVeeZag
03-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Zags uptrending right now: Collins, Tillie, Melson, Matthews
Neutral: NWG, JWIII
Downtrend: Perkins, Karnowski

My take: Make no change in starters at this time. But Collins, Tillie, & Melson have earned more minutes at the expense of Perkins and Karnowski. Obviously matchups with opponents have to be considered. Against WVU, that game may just be too quick for Karno. Melson may be critical in helping break the pressing Mountaineers. Not sure what to say about Karno; he can't seem to hold onto the ball to save his life. Maybe he's under the weather, but the reason is beside the point. We need production at all 5 spots at this stage of the tournament.

caduceus
03-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Unreal. Guys...take a breath.

GU KNEW that Northwestern had one of the best double team schemes in the field. Heck, they nearly beat Purdue in conference, and they DID beat Wisconsin. Size wise, those B1G teams are closest to ours.

I'm just happy that the coaching staff has shifted to rotating our bigs when we need to. It was needed for the type of matchup today. Past years, our bench tightening has often been our demise. Those freshman are not freshman anymore at this point in the year.

Per FiveThirtyEight, our chances for NC have risen to 17% (was 14%). Our chances for a FF appearance are almost even now (was 41%), and a 66% chance vs. WVU (78% per KenPom).

Yeah, we struggled some in the second half. In March, a win is a win. Be thankful not to be Villanova or SMC today.

We get to watch our team play another game, and hopefully a few more. I'm certain our starters aren't complaining tonight about their playing time earlier today.

VinnyZag
03-18-2017, 07:37 PM
This isn't the first time. Few closed one of the big non-conference games (Iowa St. I think) with the freshman bigs on the floor. It was the lead of Meehan's game story. So, it's not exactly unprecedented.

Zigzag92
03-18-2017, 07:46 PM

Collins has to start...Karnowski just simply isnt more than a role player

All Weather Fan
03-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Everyone seems to agree on the reasons the Fab Freshmen were on the floor to close out the game. I applaud Coach for the decision. They clearly were the reason we were able to gut out the win. I was glad to see Josh on the bench, only because he has obviously lost his confidence and setting him up for failure would be devastating for his future value to the team. He has the talent and IMHO needs to build on successes at this point, not failures.

ZagLawGrad
03-18-2017, 07:49 PM

Karno didn't play great the last two games. But he is still a leader and has 130 something wins under his belt. I'm betting he will deliver.

zagray
03-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Zags are playing their worst basketball of the year. Multiple players are struggling at the same time. This was one of Fews best coaching jobs, going with that closing lineup. Melson has earned a starting job. If the Zags don't turn it around godspeed WV will embarrass them.

ZagsGoZags
03-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Josh P was playing better a year ago than he is right now

RenoZag
03-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Because he is more a liability than an asset ?

RenoZag
03-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Karno didn't play great the last two games. But he is still a leader and has 130 something wins under his belt. I'm betting he will deliver.

Karno has been terrible in the Big Dance so far. All of the talk about him being an elite passer out of the double-team is a rapidly fading memory. Don't care about his wins. Collins is the better player and it isn't even close.

Ekrub
03-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Did jazz steal Reno's account?

Plainsman
03-18-2017, 09:16 PM
A lot of griping on here lately and some justified to a degree but step back and take a look at what the Zags have this year in talent and depth, especially talented depth. Can you name a recent season where we would have three starters on the bench at the end of a tight game and we still played at a winning level? Pretty damned amazing and everyone should step back and appreciate this team, warts and all. Will we make the FF? Who knows but it's still a pleasure being able to watch these guys play and I think we will see a more complete game against WVU if for no other reason than we won't have a big lead.

Hoopaholic
03-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Karno has been terrible in the Big Dance so far. All of the talk about him being an elite passer out of the double-team is a rapidly fading memory. Don't care about his wins. Collins is the better player and it isn't even close.

Post season stats don't play this out though

Shem is average 12.4 points per game 6.6 rebounds per game1.2 assist per game .6 steals per game 2.0 turnovers per game. 1.6 blocks per game shooting 55% from floor. And 10-16 from free throw line

Collins is averaging 9 points per game 3.6 rebounds per game. .2 assists per game. Zero steals at all, 1.6 turnovers per game 2 blocked shots per game shooting 75% from floor and 12-16 from free throw line

More points, rebounds, assist and steals from Shem

Less turnovers, more blocked shots and 2 more made free throws from Collins

I would say it actually is close

Different styles. But effectiveness none the less from both players

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2017, 09:38 PM

Shem is average 12.4 points per game 6.6 rebounds per game1.2 assist per game .6 steals per game 2.0 turnovers per game. 1.6 blocks per game shooting 55% from floor. And 10-16 from free throw line

Collins is averaging 9 points per game 3.6 rebounds per game. .2 assists per game. Zero steals at all, 1.6 turnovers per game 2 blocked shots per game shooting 75% from floor and 12-16 from free throw line

You left out there minutes per game.

Ezag
03-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Unreal. Guys...take a breath.

GU KNEW that Northwestern had one of the best double team schemes in the field. Heck, they nearly beat Purdue in conference, and they DID beat Wisconsin. Size wise, those B1G teams are closest to ours.

I'm just happy that the coaching staff has shifted to rotating our bigs when we need to. It was needed for the type of matchup today. Past years, our bench tightening has often been our demise. Those freshman are not freshman anymore at this point in the year.

Per FiveThirtyEight, our chances for NC have risen to 17% (was 14%). Our chances for a FF appearance are almost even now (was 41%), and a 66% chance vs. WVU (78% per KenPom).

Yeah, we struggled some in the second half. In March, a win is a win. Be thankful not to be Villanova or SMC today.

We get to watch our team play another game, and hopefully a few more. I'm certain our starters aren't complaining tonight about their playing time earlier today.

A win may be a win but are you really confident in the way the team has been playing?

Ezag
03-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Do we have a free throw coach? Is this the worst FT shooting Zag team ever?

tummydoc
03-18-2017, 11:15 PM
Collins has tended to commit careless fouls. Not in the tourney so far. Is that limited minutes, learning, or just that so far the refs allow more physical play?? Probably a little of all. Shem has been less foul prone over the season

Go Zags

caduceus
03-18-2017, 11:31 PM
Just because "The Hefty Lefty" (God I hate CBS!), has better numbers per game, you have to take minutes played into account.

Karnowski has 300 shots this season. His true shooting percentage is .602, and his effective FG% is 60%.
Collins only has 181 shots this season. His true shooting percentage is .707 and his effective FG% is 67.7%.

However, most startlingly, is the difference in free throws per FG attempted:

Karnowski shoots FT's per FG attempt 37.7%.
Collins' FT per FG attempts is off the charts at 74%!!!

I won't get into FT%, but you all know the numbers.

Game is on the line, and you want to pound it inside. Who are you going to pick?

I didn't even mention putbacks. Collins has twice as many as Karnowski, despite fewer minutes.

Numbers per Hoop Math (http://www.hoop-math.com/Gonzaga2017.php).

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 11:49 PM
Wow......

caduceus
03-18-2017, 11:50 PM
A win may be a win but are you really confident in the way the team has been playing?

Good question. Not entirely, obviously. I'd love to see us put two good halves together in a single game. NU was playing carefree in the second half, and it showed. The Zags clearly have higher expectations than the boys from Evanston, and it's easy to get rattled in that situation, particularly since WCC competition hasn't put us in those dire situations that P5 teams see day in an out. GU is really in a pretty unique experience as a result. It's so rare that teams from mid-major conferences earn a 1-seed. I can't imagine the pressure that comes with it, but you have to empathize with our guys. It's not something they can control in any way, and the road ahead isn't going to be any more forgiving. I hope they can keep their heads together and forge ahead with swagger and confidence. The media pressure is only going to bear down on them more and more as the tourney progresses. If they manage to win out next weekend, it's nothing but uncharted territory for the program.

Survive and advance. If they can play like they did in the first half the rest of the way, the Zags will undoubtedly be in Phoenix (please make it happen for the sake of my liver).

Robzagnut
03-19-2017, 12:01 AM
* I cringe whenever Williams is at the FT line. He just can't make a FT.

* Perkins played well defensively. Offensively, he's lost all his confidence. Thank gawd for Melson.

* Early on was screaming at the TV for Karnowski to make a single 2 foot shot. Then later he became a rumblin, bumblin, fumblin, turnover machine.

ScrapironJim
03-19-2017, 12:32 AM
We've seen our boys play like they did in the first half of yesterday's game several times. We have one of the best coaching staffs and group of players in the country. They have proved it this year - 34 and 1. When the game dictates we will see a full 40 minutes of great Zag basketball. The coaches will set it up and make all the correct in-game adjustments necessary. If we don't win the national championship this year it will be because we suffered the same fate as 62 other teams. There are so many external factors - so many. The factors I don't worry about are the ones that our coaches and players can control. I have nothing but confidence and respect for our guys. The rest is up to fate - and fate can be cruel and unfair. The best team does not always win.

WE ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - IMO Villanova has great coaches and players - check last year for proof. And they are going home early due to fate . . . the same fate that has kept us in the tourney. Our guys deserve your confidence and respect . . . period!!!!! Be grateful that you have such a quality group of people assembled for your pleasure and entertainment.

CDC84
03-19-2017, 12:59 AM
I strongly believe in sticking with the same lineup for chemistry purposes. Just because you have a starting lineup, it doesn't mean that you can't change it if the matchups don't work. Unfortunately, the West VA game just feels like another matchup where Karno could be the odd man out. Arizona if GU is fortunate to survive? Not so fast. PK had a really good game vs. Zona. Not sure about Xavier.

Let's face it. Part of the problem is that GU can't seem to hit threes right now. That was the whole thing with Karno. Double him and its an automatic three by Mathews, Perkins, etc. Not so right now. He can't really punish people by doubling him right now. Whether it's Karno, Collins or Donald The Duck at center, the Zags are going to have to start hitting some threes if they want to land in Glendale.

Birddog
03-19-2017, 03:48 AM

One thing not mentioned so far is Shem's ability to frequently get the opposing team's big into foul trouble early. He's done it several times this season. Start Shem as usual, let Collins come in for minutes as needed. I actually like platooning Shem/ Williams with Collins/Tillie.

bartruff1
03-19-2017, 06:25 AM
If it isn't broke don't break it....Few is not going to change the starting lineup ....defense and depth have brought them this far and there is no need to panic ...

Zaga
03-19-2017, 07:24 AM
* I cringe whenever Williams is at the FT line. He just can't make a FT.

* Perkins played well defensively. Offensively, he's lost all his confidence. Thank gawd for Melson.

* Early on was screaming at the TV for Karnowski to make a single 2 foot shot. Then later he became a rumblin, bumblin, fumblin, turnover machine.
LMAO Thanks for that!

vandalzag
03-19-2017, 07:30 AM
One thing not mentioned so far is Shem's ability to frequently get the opposing team's big into foul trouble early. He's done it several times this season. Start Shem as usual, let Collins come in for minutes as needed. I actually like platooning Shem/ Williams with Collins/Tillie.

Shem has been way off the last two games. That being said the Ref's have declared open season on him and allowed a ton of contact. I was watching the game with a local D1 player and he could not believe the amount of times the Refs let NW players arm bar our post players without the ball. Supposed to be an automatic call.

Comeback was sure helped by the getting 8 fouls in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half. Hard to be aggressive and when the calls are going the other way. The offense went completely downhill.
All the issues with Josh are one thing. I am a little worried about Goss. His 2nd half performance was terrible. Per ESPN game tracker he had 1 FG in the 2nd half and the offense just stopped moving,

gonstu
03-19-2017, 07:32 AM

who starts doesn't matter. number of minutes and who's out there when it counts dictated by matchups and flow of the game. karno started yesterday but he only played 19 mins. Collins played 21.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2017, 07:36 AM
who starts doesn't matter. number of minutes and who's out there when it counts dictated by matchups and flow of the game. karno started yesterday but he only played 19 mins. Collins played 21.

Hate to bring this up, but IMO Zach's draft stock is rising for this year's draft.

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 07:38 AM
Hate to bring this up, but IMO Zach's draft stock is rising for this year's draft.

To be expected

Zigzag92
03-19-2017, 07:41 AM

he's been great but hes nowhere near ready for the NBA

gonstu
03-19-2017, 07:42 AM

With what we've seen so far in the tourney i'm leaning towards he's gone. If zags win two more games he will likely be a big reason and I think zags have their first one and done. Needs to stay out of foul trouble against WV - we will need him big time.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2017, 07:46 AM
he's been great but hes nowhere near ready for the NBA

He's as ready as any of the bigs playing for blue bloods. He can add strength next year in Spokane or an NBA city. His footwork is superior to his peers.

bballbeachbum
03-19-2017, 07:50 AM
All the issues with Josh are one thing. I am a little worried about Goss. His 2nd half performance was terrible. Per ESPN game tracker he had 1 FG in the 2nd half and the offense just stopped moving,

I mentioned this yesterday while everyone was busy filleting Josh and Karno. His 2nd half was a struggle. He went 0-7 in the last 10 minutes with a turnover, the ball was in his hands a lot, he tried to take over the game, which is GREAT, but it did not go well and he could not buy a bucket, and most of it happened with Josh on the bench. Got to think he'll overcome this and play a great game against WVU, it's not like he'll be unaware of his performance. He strikes me as a guy who will respond well. I hope so

cjm720
03-19-2017, 07:56 AM
Way to go coach!!!!

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Shem has been way off the last two games. That being said the Ref's have declared open season on him and allowed a ton of contact. I was watching the game with a local D1 player and he could not believe the amount of times the Refs let NW players arm bar our post players without the ball. Supposed to be an automatic call.

Comeback was sure helped by the getting 8 fouls in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half. Hard to be aggressive and when the calls are going the other way. The offense went completely downhill.

Nigel was getting the "desperate" treatment in the second half. Freedom from movement was the second half mantra. Look at some of the stills on the Spokesman site. So much grabbing of Przemek and others. Tillie and Collins seemed to deal with best and even dish it out IMO.

jim77
03-19-2017, 08:09 AM

Dead on.

In fact, start the usual lineup....Perkins included.

Lets give coach Few some credit for doing some nice in-game changes....not many teams have the luxury to have what we have sitting on the bench.

We also know that at times Collins can rack up fouls in a hurry....Imagine where we'd be if Collins picked up a couple of quick fouls as a starter...Few has the platooning just right.

As far as Perkins goes...he's had some nice games this year. He needs to get back out there Thursday and play hard against WVU...he may shock a few here. I expect him to play well Thursday.

I agree with Charles Barkley on GU playing PREVENT offense. The problem with slowing it down after being used to playing quick and crisp is TIMING. The offense needs to keep moving at a comfortable pace....and go deeper into the shot clock to burn time....slowing it down to burn time doesn't seem to work well for GU. Its not like we don't have enough suitable guys to bring in to give others rest.

The guys are gonna play well aginst WVU...they always do....prolly cause WVU will not let GU slow down....which plays right into GU's hands.

Great win.....keep it going Zags.

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Dead on.

Lets give coach few some credit for doing some nice in-game changes....not many teams have the luxury to have what we have sitting on the bench.

We also know that at times Collins can rack up fouls in a hurry....Imagine where we'd be if Collins picked up a couple of quick fouls as a starter...Few has the platooning just right.

As far as Perkins goes...he's had some nice games this year. He needs to get back out there Thursday and play hard against WVU...he may shock a few here. I expect him to play well Thursday.

I agree with Charles Barkley on GU playing PREVENT offense. The problem with slowing it down after being used to playing quick and crisp is TIMING. The offense needs to keep moving at a comfortable pace....and go deeper into the shot clock to burn time....slowing it down to burn time doesn't seem to work well for GU. Its not like we don't have enough suitable guys to bring in to give others rest.

The guys are gonna play well aginst WVU...they always do....prolly cause WVU will not let GU slow down....which plays right into GU's hands.

Collins foul trouble issue is probably why Karno left in after picking up third foul at the 18 minute mark

bballbeachbum
03-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Dead on.

Lets give coach few some credit for doing some nice in-game changes....not many teams have the luxury to have what we have sitting on the bench.

good post man. would add only that the tempo slows down when the Zags stop defending well and the opponent starts making shots. Zags can't rebound and run and in my opinion it affects the team's offensive tempo. saw it happen against BYU and yesterday I thought

MontanaCoyote
03-19-2017, 08:32 AM
About Shemmick.

I know we're all caught up in the moment right now and that winning is all that matters at The Dance. I also know that Shemmick hasn't been at his best lately. Still, I'm getting pretty unnerved at all the pointed criticism he's getting on this board.

Damn, you know he's trying to do his best, that he's all about the team in or out of the game, that even when he 's not at the top of his game he still makes a difference that doesn't show up in the stats, and that he's given his all to the Zag's for 5 years.

You also know, because it's happened before, that he could find his grove and score 20 points in the next game.

And finally you know that after all this he'll be gone soon after one hell of a career as a Zag.

I'm not saying that his play shouldn't be critiqued, not at all. All I'd like to see is at least a whisper of appreciation, empathy
and encouragement for the guy when the criticism gets laid on him. I think he's earned at least that much.

Go Karno! Go Zag's!

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 08:37 AM
http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/03/18/SRX_NW_GU_2_t1140.jpg?abf36d44fcda22a1f7041162086f 31df6a374511

:horse:

jim77
03-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Nice picture.

You simply can't measure Shem's effect with statistics. Again I love Coach Few's 1-2 punch with him and Collins...2 totally different players. Shem doesn't have to get a rebound....he blocks 2 others from getting it...he also has to basically be doubled or else....which leaves one of ours free. Winners just win...and nobody has done it more than Shemmick...NOBODY. He changes the game when he walks onto the court.

cjm720
03-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Karno's effectiveness is against true bigs or undersized and slower bigs. He has a problem with the 6'9" fast and more athletic players. He continues to be a very valuable piece. Coach recognized that Tillie and Collins were faster and more effective against NU...and likely WV. He will literally be huge against AZ, if that game is to be.

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Nice picture.

You simply can't measure Shem's effect with statistics. Again I love Coach Few's 1-2 punch with him and Collins...2 totally different players. Shem doesn't have to get a rebound....he blocks 2 others from getting it...he also has to basically be doubled or else....which leaves one of ours free. Winners just win...and nobody has done it more than Shemmick...NOBODY. He changes the game when he walks onto the court.
Winners win and it's a team game

cjm720
03-19-2017, 08:51 AM
good post man. would add only that the tempo slows down when the Zags stop defending well and the opponent starts making shots. Zags can't rebound and run and in my opinion it affects the team's offensive tempo. saw it happen against BYU and yesterday I thought

Beach, can you please elaborate on this?

bballbeachbum
03-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Beach, can you please elaborate on this?

sure. when the Zags defend well this year it has been, almost always, when they force those tough twos and rebound the misses by smothering the 3 pt. line and forcing the perimeter dribble into the trees. yes, some opponents they dare to shoot because they suck at it, but generally the Zags have been great at forcing the dribble and not allowing catch and shoots, then rebounding the misses and then they get out and run well and get easy hoops and looks and everyone feels good. when the D slips, and for me you can see it when the perimeter pressure loosens and guys start going under screens vs. forcing the dribble and forcing the penetration into the trees, then the opponent makes more shots, the Zags can't rebound and run, the pace slows, and the Zags have to attack a stacked D. Not that they can't do that, but the tempo changes and slows down. Zags could push after misses and sometimes do, but it's not the same as the open floor after rebounding misses. Zags turn D into O great, not a typical Zag calling card, but this year a true weapon. what do you think?

jim77
03-19-2017, 09:10 AM
#32 and #33...the dynamic duo. Need a photo shop of those 2 in proper attire.

bballbeachbum
03-19-2017, 09:19 AM
they got Taphorn his two wide open looks top of the key with a double screen at the FT line both times I think

cjm720
03-19-2017, 10:12 AM
sure. when the Zags defend well this year it has been, almost always, when they force those tough twos and rebound the misses by smothering the 3 pt. line and forcing the perimeter dribble into the trees. yes, some opponents they dare to shoot because they suck at it, but generally the Zags have been great at forcing the dribble and not allowing catch and shoots, then rebounding the misses and then they get out and run well and get easy hoops and looks and everyone feels good. when the D slips, and for me you can see it when the perimeter pressure loosens and guys start going under screens vs. forcing the dribble and forcing the penetration into the trees, then the opponent makes more shots, the Zags can't rebound and run, the pace slows, and the Zags have to attack a stacked D. Not that they can't do that, but the tempo changes and slows down. Zags could push after misses and sometimes do, but it's not the same as the open floor after rebounding misses. Zags turn D into O great, not a typical Zag calling card, but this year a true weapon. what do you think?

Thx. Makes. Lot of sense, keen observation.

mtnZag
03-19-2017, 10:19 AM
With all due respect, I recall that it was Kenny Smith that said that. That particular faze of our game is disturbing, to say the least. Let's hope we can get past that soon...very soon! Smith was right on in pointing that out.

Got no axe to grind with Charles but he has been known to open his mouth before employing brain power. He was repeating what Kenny said and of course, repeating it twice, like he always does.

Hey, it could be worse...like say....Bill Walton...Yikes!

DixieZag
03-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Good question. Not entirely, obviously. I'd love to see us put two good halves together in a single game. NU was playing carefree in the second half, and it showed. The Zags clearly have higher expectations than the boys from Evanston, and it's easy to get rattled in that situation, particularly since WCC competition hasn't put us in those dire situations that P5 teams see day in an out. GU is really in a pretty unique experience as a result. It's so rare that teams from mid-major conferences earn a 1-seed. I can't imagine the pressure that comes with it, but you have to empathize with our guys. It's not something they can control in any way, and the road ahead isn't going to be any more forgiving. I hope they can keep their heads together and forge ahead with swagger and confidence. The media pressure is only going to bear down on them more and more as the tourney progresses. If they manage to win out next weekend, it's nothing but uncharted territory for the program.

Survive and advance. If they can play like they did in the first half the rest of the way, the Zags will undoubtedly be in Phoenix (please make it happen for the sake of my liver).

We did the same against many WCC teams! This isn't about tournament pressure. It's about fear of old ghosts, ghosts of Iowa State, Tennessee, @SMC, @BYU, SMC during the tournament, and now NU. This is what we do, it's who we are.

We played so well in the first half - this is clearly a mental thing and apparently it ain't going away. So, line-up changes are warranted if we want to advance.

Yes, we're in the S16, and many teams would like to be, including Louisville. But, we played 2 teams that would be hard to lose to - and almost did. We are playing our worst ball of the year in the tournament - disagree?

I like that Few does spectacularly with 4 days to prepare, he's a witch in coming up with game plans. Only I fear we'll jump to that lead and then look out.

I'd play Tillie alongside JWII and Collins, go to 2 guards, and let it ride. I don't want to go down after a season like that by pounding on a rock that's not working. Let those 5 start and see what happens. Maybe the other 3 will be more comfortable coming off the bench and play much better. But, we can't win 3 against 5 and we've got some guys that have completely lost their confidence.

Good thing is, we've got 2 frosh coming of age and playing their best BB of the year.

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 11:44 AM
We did the same against many WCC teams! This isn't about tournament pressure. It's about fear of old ghosts, ghosts of Iowa State, Tennessee, @SMC, @BYU, SMC during the tournament, and now NU. This is what we do, it's who we are.

We played so well in the first half - this is clearly a mental thing and apparently it ain't going away. So, line-up changes are warranted if we want to advance.

Yes, we're in the S16, and many teams would like to be, including Louisville. But, we played 2 teams that would be hard to lose to - and almost did. We are playing our worst ball of the year in the tournament - disagree?

I like that Few does spectacularly with 4 days to prepare, he's a witch in coming up with game plans. Only I fear we'll jump to that lead and then look out.

I'd play Tillie alongside JWII and Collins, go to 2 guards, and let it ride. I don't want to go down after a season like that by pounding on a rock that's not working. Let those 5 start and see what happens. Maybe the other 3 will be more comfortable coming off the bench and play much better. But, we can't win 3 against 5 and we've got some guys that have completely lost their confidence.

Good thing is, we've got 2 frosh coming of age and playing their best BB of the year.

All I can politely say is....thank god your not the zags coach

Make mid game changes according to what the flow dictates sure

Completely change what has gotten you the most wins in college basketball is boardering on ludicrous

Did you think he started the wrong players yesterday that built a huge lead?

Chicken Ball
03-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Dead on.

Lets give coach Few some credit for doing some nice in-game changes....not many teams have the luxury to have what we have sitting on the bench.

The prevent defense is baffling. Few has said multiple times in interviews that GU is best when attacking and playing with fire. So how can we explain the disconnect?

Chicken Ball
03-19-2017, 12:26 PM

This. NWG is one of the best in the country at turning even a conventional rebounds into a Zags fast break. We are best when we don't allow the other team's defense to get into position.

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 12:29 PM
This. NWG is one of the best in the country at turning even a conventional rebounds into a Zags fast break. We are best when we don't allow the other team's defense to get into position.

It's a thing of beauty when he comes out of the pack with rebound and bigs running with him

Plainsman
03-19-2017, 12:36 PM
It's a thing of beauty when he comes out of the pack with rebound and bigs running with him

The on court gal, I believe, said that Coach Collins called Nigel a "one man fast break" for his first half performance. So true when Nigel can get out on the run.

Worthington
03-19-2017, 01:00 PM
It's completely a confidence issue for Perkins right now. He's playing scared out there, just trying not to make any mistakes. I don't think the coaching staff can coax him out of this, it's going to be on him to figure it out. We want to be cutting down the nets at the end, and that isn't going to happen without him so we simply have to let him work through this and give him the green light to shoot.

Karnowski hasn't played his best, but I'm not worried about him. Only thing I'd like to see out of him more is the quick passing out of the double team that he did so well earlier in the season. He's still one of the most difficult match-ups in the whole country for other teams.

MontanaCoyote
03-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Nice picture.

Last sentence nails it. His mere presence changes everything, even without a single recordable stat. It's also a strong indication of this man's character that he stays in the game even when he's out of it. His effusive support for Zach Collins, the guy that puts him on the bench, is nothing short of the very best a person can be. They'll never be another like him.
You never really know what you have till it's gone.

DixieZag
03-19-2017, 05:16 PM
All I can politely say is....thank god your not the zags coach

Make mid game changes according to what the flow dictates sure

Completely change what has gotten you the most wins in college basketball is boardering on ludicrous

Did you think he started the wrong players yesterday that built a huge lead?

Since the BYU game at home, we've played 3 good halves total, all of them first halves. The second halves have been some of the worst basketball of the year.

Believe me, I didn't expect you to agree. You've been right there to counter even the most mild criticism from everyone, with glowing reports that seem to ignore the floor. That's fine. I'm quite glad you're not coaching, either.

I'll take the coach who put in the best line-up at the end of the last game and do nothing but extrapolate forward. Why are you dissing' coach?. I genuinely think it might well help those guys to watch the game play out a bit and then come off the bench.

If you want to continue with what we've been doing "that got us here" - that's fine, but it's been months since what got us here got us our best basketball.

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Since the BYU game at home, we've played 3 good halves total, all of them first halves. The second halves have been some of the worst basketball of the year.

Believe me, I didn't expect you to agree. You've been right there to counter even the most mild criticism - and that's fine. I'm quite glad you're not coaching, either.

I'll take the coach who put in the best line-up at the end of the last game and extrapolate forward, which is all I did. I genuinely think it might well help those guys to watch the game play out a bit and then come off the bench.

If you want to continue with what we've been doing over the last

Correct. I want to continue what has provided exceptional results...best ever for a zag team and best in NCAA to date

Mid game adjustments you bet. Wholesale change. No thank you

DixieZag
03-19-2017, 05:25 PM
Correct. I want to continue what has provided exceptional results...best ever for a zag team and best in NCAA to date

Mid game adjustments you bet. Wholesale change. No thank you

The only wholesale change is who is in and when. I want our strongest line up in the most. Right now, the line-up that finished the game that was busily being thrown away is our strongest lineup and good on Few for recognizing it and letting it ride.

bballbeachbum
03-19-2017, 05:27 PM
The only wholesale change is who is in and when. I want our strongest line up in the most. Right now, the line-up that finished the game that was busily being thrown away is our strongest lineup and good on Few for recognizing it and letting it ride.

best lineup for that game and matchups at that time...would add that. agree?

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 05:28 PM

only man that matters

TexasZagFan
03-19-2017, 05:35 PM

Believe me, I didn't expect you to agree. You've been right there to counter even the most mild criticism from everyone, with glowing reports that seem to ignore the floor. That's fine. I'm quite glad you're not coaching, either.

I'll take the coach who put in the best line-up at the end of the last game and do nothing but extrapolate forward. Why are you dissing' coach?. I genuinely think it might well help those guys to watch the game play out a bit and then come off the bench.

If you want to continue with what we've been doing "that got us here" - that's fine, but it's been months since what got us here got us our best basketball.

I'm glad NONE of us are coaching, if the truth be told. Only a guy like Negan would change up the starting five on a 34-1 team.

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 05:40 PM
I'm glad NONE of us are coaching, if the truth be told. Only a guy like Negan would change up the starting five on a 34-1 team.

we have a lottery player on the bench.....could go to final four......use him or lose him and potentially a deeper run.

Zach has averaged 22 min a game in NCAA.....image what 32min could do

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 05:55 PM
we have a lottery player on the bench.....could go to final four......use him or lose him and potentially a deeper run.

More fouls leaving him on bench during critical times...he has shown propensity to pick up quick fouls at times

jazzdelmar
03-19-2017, 05:56 PM

Don't bother Cee.. they are batten down in their anti Collins POV. Imagine what 32 min a game all season would have produced? Same record and a far better team, and I'm not even talking Tillie.

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Don't bother Cee.. they are batten down in their anti Collins POV.

Precisely the opposite. Keeping him viable for critical time periods is part of the whole game management of pieces of the puzzle

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 06:12 PM
More fouls leaving him on bench during critical times...he has shown propensity to pick up quick fouls at times

his job is to add energy....no thoughts about saving fouls when you only play 21 min a game.....watch last post game presser....he describes it

Hoopaholic
03-19-2017, 06:21 PM
his job is to add energy....no thoughts about saving fouls when you only play 21 min a game.....watch last post game presser....he describes it

Agree. Disagreeing with those calling for him to start or to get 32 minutes a game

ZagHouse
03-19-2017, 06:31 PM
I love Collins but it feels like some posters are using the old "Few" quick trigger that many on this board have derided over the years. Three games ago Shem was a beast against SMC. One game ago J3 was a stud locking down Daum. Tillie is great as an energy guy but our starting lineup is an effective group and if it's not then the coaches have great options on the bench. Way change things now because of one mediocre half? To cite some sort of conspiracy that the coaches are trying to hide Collins seems a bit silly since his metrics are published after every game and scouts have been at games all season watching him. How many games has he been in foul trouble or not shown well? Shem playing poorly is an anomaly and not the norm.

B Wayne
03-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Just curious. Josh Perkins traditionally has a sweet looking shooting form. About 7 games ago it looked like he is falling back as he releases the ball, unlike his usual form. Has anyone else perceived this?

gonzagafan62
03-19-2017, 06:39 PM
I'm jumping on the Collins train. But he's gotta stop those dumb fouls. Wouldn't start him but I'd have him play a lot more mins. Pen 27-30

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 06:42 PM
Agree. Disagreeing with those calling for him to start or to get 32 minutes a game

believe the possibility of 1/3 more productivity is not worth the balance of power?

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 06:44 PM
I'm jumping on the Collins train. But he's gotta stop those dumb fouls. Wouldn't start him but I'd have him play a lot more mins. Pen 27-30

his directive has been to inject energy.....not conserve fouls...he only plays 21min

DixieZag
03-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Just curious. Josh Perkins traditionally has a sweet looking shooting form. About 7 games ago it looked like he is falling back as he releases the ball, unlike his usual form. Has anyone else perceived this?

You might be on to something.

He always used a high leg kick, but his release was straight, as you note. Maybe he's leaning to far back into it to get more of a kick into it.

It's worth asking the BB people around. If that's what it is, hope the coaches have picked it up and have him in some drills this week. If his shooting returns, we're suddenly a whole different team.

GrizZAG
03-20-2017, 06:25 AM
It seems that Few understands that Shem starts games with his best energy and effectiveness. Probably why we gain early leads to a great extent. Shem gets a tad tired then opponents begin to pound on and frustrate him. That moment is the perfect time to change up to Collins IMO. When Shem has it going play him as long as possible, he is a force to recon with. Collins can keep up with those 6'9 studs better so match ups absolutely do matter.
300 pound men need more blows, plain & simple. Our big combo is elite.
What we need is better shooting and offense from guards other than Nigel. At times opponents just ignor Perks because they don't feel threatened by him and double Nigel.
My 2 cents.

Zagger
03-20-2017, 06:52 AM
.......What we need is better shooting and offense from guards other than Nigel. At times opponents just ignor Perks because they don't feel threatened by him and double Nigel.
My 2 cents.

Agreed. I feel to get to F4 we need points by Perkins & Melson - along with the rest of the gang of 8. That'd take some heat of NWG. Even Alberts in a bit could mix things up (??).

MontanaCoyote
03-20-2017, 09:34 AM
It seems that Few understands that Shem starts games with his best energy and effectiveness. Probably why we gain early leads to a great extent. Shem gets a tad tired then opponents begin to pound on and frustrate him. That moment is the perfect time to change up to Collins IMO. When Shem has it going play him as long as possible, he is a force to recon with. Collins can keep up with those 6'9 studs better so match ups absolutely do matter.
What we need is better shooting and offense from guards other than Nigel. At times opponents just ignor Perks because they don't feel threatened by him and double Nigel.
My 2 cents.

Interesting that as much criticism Shem has gotten recently, ESPN picks The Mountain as the primary reason Zag's should beat WV and advance. Our front court team of Shemmick, Collins and Tillie are the difference makers assuming our guards handle WV's pressure.

ZagMan in Philly
03-24-2017, 07:35 AM
Interesting that as much criticism Shem has gotten recently, ESPN picks The Mountain as the primary reason Zag's should beat WV and advance. Our front court team of Shemmick, Collins and Tillie are the difference makers assuming our guards handle WV's pressure.

Where would we be without Shem last night...? Respect the Man, will goes down as one of the best Zags Ever!!!

MontanaCoyote
03-24-2017, 08:16 AM
Where would we be without Shem last night...? Respect the Man, will goes down as one of the best Zags Ever!!!

We'd be on the plane flying back to Spokane, that's where we'd be! We lose the game without him. That falling down in traffic bucket was big. So was that 19 foot jumper near the top of the key. So was, as always, just his mere presence. He's The Mountain, The Presence, The Man!

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 08:36 AM
We'd be on the plane flying back to Spokane, that's where we'd be! We lose the game without him. That falling down in traffic bucket was big. So was that 19 foot jumper near the top of the key. So was, as always, just his mere presence. He's The Mountain, The Presence, The Man!

Mark Few has certainly pushed all the right buttons at the right times since the loss to BYU. He deserves much more credit than he's been getting.

sittingon50
03-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Mark Few has certainly pushed all the right buttons at the right times since the loss to BYU. He deserves much more credit than he's been getting.

Agreed.

MickMick
03-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Thank goodness the proper message was sent.....and look how they responded.

If Mark Few has learned anything this year, it is that the benching starters can be a useful tool.

Seriously, can anyone here recall when Few decided to play an obviously "hobbled Mallon (injured leg)" against the Calapari coached Memphis Tigers in Spokane Arena? His loyalty to the senior was commendable, but not conducive to winning. Few just had a penchant of playing guys even when they are obviously hurting the team. I believe he has evolved and what he did against Northwestern in the final 7 minutes is very reminiscent of what a Roy Williams might do. The positive reinforcement of winning might have completed the evolutionary process.

bballbeachbum
03-24-2017, 10:52 AM

If Mark Few has learned anything this year, it is that the benching starters can be a useful tool.

Seriously, can anyone here recall when Few decided to play an obviously "hobbled Mallon (injured leg)" against the Calapari coached Memphis Tigers in Spokane Arena? His loyalty to the senior was commendable, but not conducive to winning. Few just had a penchant of playing guys even when they are obviously hurting the team. I believe he has evolved and what he did against Northwestern in the final 7 minutes is very reminiscent of what a Roy Williams might do. The positive reinforcement of winning might have completed the evolutionary process.

hear what you're saying but would add Few and co. are much better and more equipped to matchup game to game, and have done so all year (the ISU game is a great example)
but the greatest example is the defense I think, which used to be a Zag team that played defense pretty much the same game after game; they might go zone here or there, but it was the same zone, and the M2M might switch from going under screen rolls to switching in situations or key moments, but now you never know what you're gonna get from the Zags D game plan game to game, and those guys have been executing it against the matchups, game to game, different defenses and keys. Again last night a defensive gameplan to match the opponent, utilizing that zone with Shem in the middle for long stretches and extending it, then Zach on the floor for the final play for that matchup situation time and score, it's just fun to watch it all happening

sittingon50
03-24-2017, 11:17 AM

I don't know, Mick. I remember Zach Gourde on the bench @ the end of his last NCAA game. Zach had been All WCC 1st team his Soph. & Jr. years but mysteriously got the yips as a Sr. The most important game of his career, he was sitting in crunch time.

Zag79
03-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Agree great assessment

Those pesky stats, always proving man crushes wrong ha ha. Perkins was great against WV, the least of any issues some think we had. And as for Karno, he isn't always easy on the eyes... Yet without him this team isn't still playing. He carried us at stretches last night, and remember Few doesn't exactly feed the bigs like he could. A gutty win, against all odds with how that game was called, played, but ended in a way that say it all. Big nuts!

CanadianZagsFan
03-24-2017, 03:04 PM
My 2 cents.

Agree.
People are calling for big Collins and/or Goss coming out party vs Xavier.
I say why not Perkins ? Why not us?

We all know what top level Perkins is capable of when knocking down that dime and making those sweet cross court/no look underneath passes to the big man for a standing dunk.

Perkins should be Mark Few key guy if Xavier runs zone all night long. Melson too, but I want Perkins to take on the load here (bring Melson in early for D, play Perkins with second unit so we can open up a lead with him, Z and Tillie.