PDA

View Full Version : Melson on playing in front of a sea of purple

Section 116
03-17-2017, 06:44 PM
“We do look forward to that,” junior guard Silas Melson said. “That’s what we want. We like playing with our backs against the wall. We like playing when fans are against us. That brings more fun, brings more competitiveness to us and brings out our best.”

More at this link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/17/zags-try-to-silence-northwestern-pro-wildcats-crow/

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 06:49 PM
I'm not understanding why there are so many more Northwestern fans than anybody else in SLC. Did fans from all the other schools just not show up? Arizona is known to travel well. I thought Gonzaga was too. There must be some local fans in attendance, I can see them getting behind an underdog, but that doesn't mean they would all buy purple t-shirts.

MDABE80
03-17-2017, 06:50 PM
And "Elaine" from Seinfeld will be watching too!!

Zagdawg
03-17-2017, 06:53 PM
First time Northwestern fans have ever gone to the dance to support their school ---been waiting for years for the opportunity--making the most of it.

Section 116
03-17-2017, 06:53 PM
I think all those years of non appearances in March Madness have fueled a huge turnout by Northwestern alumni and fans. A comparison could be made with the long suffering Chicago Cubs fans. Those Northwestern folks have not had the opportunity to participate in March Madness and they are not about to miss it now!

ZagLawGrad
03-17-2017, 06:56 PM
No comment on this year's crowd, stayed home. But dang do I remember live in SLC 3 years ago those Shocker fans. A sea of them.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-17-2017, 08:21 PM
It's not so much that there were a ton of WSU fans in 2013, or that there are an outrageous number of NW fans this year. Problem is that everyone else's fans (Arizona, SMC, etc.) will cheer for the underdog.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Actually, there are a ton of NU fans. I was sitting next to one of the fans yesterday. She said so many tough things have happened to their programs, that when anything good happens they all turn out. The two NU fans on the other side of me were flat out drunk and just yelled THE WHOLE ENTIRE game. I did get on the big screen, though.

AZ and SMC are a different session, so there isn't as much cross over in fan attendance.

Goshzagit
03-17-2017, 09:20 PM
I'm not understanding why there are so many more Northwestern fans than anybody else in SLC. Did fans from all the other schools just not show up? Arizona is known to travel well. I thought Gonzaga was too. There must be some local fans in attendance, I can see them getting behind an underdog, but that doesn't mean they would all buy purple t-shirts.

Fwiw, when we shopped flights from Minneapolis to SLC it was b/w $750 & $900 for a ticket following selection sunday.

For whatever reason, flights from Chicago O'Hare to SLC were b/w $190 & $300.

Sounds crazy, but flights from Chicago to SLC were cheaper than all my fellow alumni buddies in Seattle, San Diego, even Denver.

Honestly, makes a difference...

Not to mention its their 1st Tourney appearance ever. As much as we don't want to take for granted the opportunity, we most certainly do...

Also, I'm sure most of you heard your friends and fans talk about attending the Sweet 16 in San Jose, as if its a given. We have a great shot, but playing pretty poorly lately by our standards.

Hope we make it, because I have at least 6 peeps planning to attend our S16 game but skipped this one.

CDC84
03-17-2017, 09:35 PM
On a positive note....Gonzaga hasn't lost a road/neutral game all season.

Goshzagit
03-17-2017, 09:42 PM
On a positive note....Gonzaga hasn't lost a road/neutral game all season.

Besides St Mary's in Spokane, we played better on the road all season. Our only loss was at home.

This "road" game atmosphere may actually help us.

I have heard the crowd will be 80%+ Northwestern fans tomorrow...

krozman
03-17-2017, 10:03 PM
Part of the reason NU has more fans than Gonzaga is simply because the magic is there for them and for us it's a yearly expectation. It's their first time. The 1998 elite 8 team had a wave of fans traveling to Gonzaga tourney games. The news stories were covering impromptu rallies on campus. It was all new. Let them enjoy their magic. Let's just hope they don't enjoy too much of it at our expense.

jazzdelmar
03-18-2017, 03:31 AM
Most NW alums can handle any price for attending.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-18-2017, 04:53 AM

Also true.

gueastcoast
03-18-2017, 05:04 AM
And lest we forget, like most of our non-WCC opponents....a much bigger school. Compound effect with alumni base (parents/siblings/kids/friends/hangers-on)

gonstu
03-18-2017, 05:08 AM
And it could be road game atmosphere from here on out. NW, Notre Dame, Ariz...Get used to it zags if you want to keep playing.

gueastcoast
03-18-2017, 05:16 AM
Let's face it - in conference, out of conference, in the tournament - we're not a cute little story anymore, and haven't been for a long time. We're a target. Embrace it; I think the boys have. Be the hunter, not the hunted.

ZagMan in Philly
03-18-2017, 06:24 AM
How ironic that the doctor helped P.K's back is a Northwestern graduate.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/northwestern-preps-for-big-dance-with-big-dude-przemek-karnowski/

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 06:44 AM

That was my feeling, too. BIG school, LONG suffering fans, High Income fan base, unsure when it may happen again = "See you there, everyone."

rennis
03-18-2017, 07:11 AM
That was my feeling, too. BIG school, LONG suffering fans, High Income fan base, unsure when it may happen again = "See you there, everyone."

Much like SuperBowl 48 - Hawks fans descended on New York. Zags can't give up a safety in this one.