PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walton “Gonzaga plays in a truckstop conference! Mop up Sisters of the Poor....

basketballzag
03-17-2017, 04:24 PM
“Gonzaga plays in a truckstop conference! Mop up Sisters of the Poor. THIS IS THE CONFERENCE OF CHAMPIONS.” Bill Walton

Bill Walton "Arizona and Oregon are better than Gonzaga"
Dave Pasch "you know Zaga beat Zona right?"
Walton "that was a meaningless game"

https://t.co/LZvPIYcnE3

ZagNative
03-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Old news. I don't care what the naysayers blather on about Gonzaga.

stretch
03-17-2017, 04:32 PM
A Saint Mary's win over Arizona would blow up Walton's "Sisters of the Poor" metaphor.

katman50
03-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Haven't listened to Walton in years. Wouldn't even listen to him if he was working a Zags game. I find him intolerable to the ears!

ZagMan in Philly
03-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Oh please Zags...shut this loud mouth up.

CDC84
03-17-2017, 06:01 PM
As I recall, since 1999, Gonzaga has a pretty good record vs. the Pac 12. Granted, thanks to UW.

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Well thankfully Walton isn't doing any of the Tourney games, so nobody needs to listen to him at all at this point.

gonzagafan62
03-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Gotta love this guy who touts "conference of champions" with no titles in basketball since the dinosaurs.

On a serious note however this guy is just a total fool, and needs to be fired.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Hoping the "Truck Stop Conference" puts 2 in the Sweet Sixteen and beyond.

MJ777
03-17-2017, 07:08 PM
One of his sons played at the Truck stop in San Diego.

zagamatic
03-17-2017, 07:14 PM
All I'll say is that if he does any Zags games in the future, radio ratings for the game will go WAY UP

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Gotta love this guy who touts "conference of champions" with no titles in basketball since the dinosaurs.

Almost 500 total National Championships. Basketball isn't the only sport sponsored by the NCAA. That's what he's referring to.

23dpg
03-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Almost 500 total National Championships. Basketball isn't the only sport sponsored by the NCAA. That's what he's referring to.

He's referring to the official pac12 motto. Cool guy, lots of info but just too much carnival for me anymore.

gonzagafan62
03-17-2017, 07:35 PM

We got it. We know they are great at many sports most of the country doesn't participate in... like water polo. Pac12 has every title in men's and women's water polo since 2001. Men's rowing? Every year since 2011. Most of them Washington. Great for those kids. Great for those universities.

Indoor track and field has gone to Oregon 7 of the last 8 years. Again great for those kids and universities and kids. But most people that don't follow those universities don't care. I care about GU baseball but outside of that I don't care nor can I watch most of anything GU rowing related.

You can defend this fool if you want - I personally do not care. Yes they've won a lot of titles (all meaningful in different respects) but most don't care. Harsh reality.

The championships that most people care about (football, baseball and basketball) Pac12 has only done well in baseball. And that's the least of the three

gonzagafan62
03-17-2017, 07:38 PM
He's referring to the official pac12 motto. Cool guy, lots of info but just too much carnival for me anymore.

Exactly. Again it's great for all kids. All universities. I'm taking nothing away from any of the athletes accomplishments. I could not do what they do. But the motto is dumb. Too much gloating

CdAZagFan
03-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Beating Arizona (and UCLA) in this tourney would go a long way to silencing these critics...

coolhandzag
03-17-2017, 07:58 PM
......tra tra tra tra truck ssss ssstwa stop.

gu03alum
03-17-2017, 07:59 PM
https://d13yacurqjgara.cloudfront.net/users/19/screenshots/258633/jwb.jpg

and then we can say this

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4d40919a4bd7c8214d150000/jim-cramer-tweet.jpg

ProVeeZag
03-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Beating Arizona (and UCLA) in this tourney would go a long way to silencing these critics...

I sincerely doubt it would silence Walton. May slow him down for a few weeks. The guy lives 24/7 in his own celebrity bubble ... when you believe in your core that you have all the answers to every question, why would you change your thinking? He was a great player at one time, especially at college level ... debilitating injuries shortened his pro career. Seriously, I think he is more than a bit "fried" in the head.

Zigzag92
03-17-2017, 08:43 PM
he said this to take the piss out of zags fans and get a reaction which evidently worked pretty well

SLOZag
03-17-2017, 09:04 PM
So we haven't played with the big boys enough, Walton says.

Imagine how it would polish our reputation if we added teams like SMU, Maryland, Miami (Fla), Creighton, Minnesota and Dayton to our OOC resume! I'll bet Walton would be impressed then!!

Just one question, though ... do you think Walton would know what those six schools have in common (other than being parked in non-truckstop leagues)? :p

ProVeeZag
03-17-2017, 09:04 PM
he said this to take the piss out of zags fans and get a reaction which evidently worked pretty well

Sounds like you and Bill are tight buddies...how would you know why he said it? Could be he truly believes it, no?

FroZAG
03-18-2017, 08:41 AM
“Gonzaga plays in a truckstop conference! Mop up Sisters of the Poor. THIS IS THE CONFERENCE OF CHAMPIONS.” Bill Walton

Bill Walton "Arizona and Oregon are better than Gonzaga"
Dave Pasch "you know Zaga beat Zona right?"
Walton "that was a meaningless game"

https://t.co/LZvPIYcnE3

Luke Walton's crazy father. That's it.

Hoopaholic
03-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Luke Walton's crazy father. That's it.

Walton and Old man Ball should go have beers together

TravelinZag
03-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Walton has the experience and intelligence to make a superb analyst of the game. Instead, he assumes the role of an arrogant provocateur. No way to know whether this is his choice or his producer's. Either way, it diminishes him and reduces him to an pretentious buffoon. He, and basketball fans deserve better; his best, not a characterization. Come on, Bill, show everyone what you can do. Everyone wins.

Offered with sincerity and respect.

Go Zags! You've proven yourselves to be above derision. Just play your game and win.

gueastcoast
03-18-2017, 09:52 AM
You're on a plane that is going down with Dakich and Walton, and only have two parachutes. What do you do?

Zags_Fanatic
03-18-2017, 10:01 AM
You're on a plane that is going down with Dakich and Walton, and only have two parachutes. What do you do?

I would probably want a backup parachute just in case mine fails, right? Better safe than sorry.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-18-2017, 10:01 AM

I would never jump from a plane without a reserve chute.

zaguarxj
03-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Is it non-sequitur time yet? I'm hungry for tacos.

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 11:59 AM

Give them both the parachutes. Then go up front and tell the pilot it's fine to restart the engines and get clear of Lake Michigan?

Zag4Hire
03-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Give them both the parachutes. Then go up front and tell the pilot it's fine to restart the engines and get clear of Lake Michigan?

+1. Or have them debate the merits over who should get the other parachute while you sneak out the side.

maynard g krebs
03-18-2017, 12:19 PM

Isn't the joke that the hippie gives the other guy his backpack? That leaves you and Walton with the parachutes. Unless of course Walton gives you his backpack.

SWZag
03-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Walton is entitled to his opinion. We're entitled prove his opinion wrong.

Vman7
03-18-2017, 06:32 PM
......tra tra tra tra truck ssss ssstwa stop.

So many reasons to be critical of Walton. But very poor taste to make fun of his stuttering problems. Zag fans are better than that.

BayAreaZagFan
03-18-2017, 06:59 PM
He's kind of a clown, but he knows more about basketball than every poster on this board combined. I actually think he's entertaining. But then again, I can tolerate Heister.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ezag
03-18-2017, 10:39 PM
There is only one way to shut these fools up and that is to win.

U Zig, I Zag
03-18-2017, 10:56 PM
He's kind of a clown, but he knows more about basketball than every poster on this board combined. I actually think he's entertaining. But then again, I can tolerate Heister.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

No he doesn't. Come on. If he does he does a terrible terrible job showing it.

77Zag
03-19-2017, 06:28 AM
Walton is just playing out his shtick....

Lots of peyote in the day i'm sure

Go Zags -= Beat the Mountaineers!!

Outraged
03-19-2017, 08:23 AM
Walmart walton taking another cheap shot.

jim77
03-19-2017, 09:01 AM
That some funny stuff right there...LOL

75Zag
03-19-2017, 10:37 AM
My best friend and recently retired partner shared a houseboat with Walton while Walton was playing for the Blazers. I do not claim to know Walton, but I spent quite a few evenings sitting around BSing with Walton and a bunch of other people. Perhaps it was due to the cannabis haze in the living room, but Walton seemed like a very nice and generous guy (even nicer when high, but aren't we all). My take is that Walton is just clowning around although he definitely wears his UCLA - Pac 12 loyalty on his sleeve. All other things being equal, I would rather hear Walton talk about his memories of tie-died shirts and wandering around Joshua Tree NP at 2 am than hear some over-eager BB color announcer tell me obscure facts retrieved from Athletic Department Press Releases and Wikipedia. Perhaps a generational thing.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

jazzdelmar
03-19-2017, 10:54 AM
My best friend and recently retired partner shared a houseboat with Walton while Walton was playing for the Blazers. I do not claim to know Walton, but I spent quite a few evenings sitting around BSing with Walton and a bunch of other people. Perhaps it was due to the cannabis haze in the living room, but Walton seemed like a very nice and generous guy (even nicer when high, but aren't we all). My take is that Walton is just clowning around although he definitely wears his UCLA - Pac 12 loyalty on his sleeve. All other things being equal, I would rather hear Walton talk about his memories of tie-died shirts and wandering around Joshua Tree NP at 2 am than hear some over-eager BB color announcer tell me obscure facts retrieved from Athletic Department Press Releases and Wikipedia. Perhaps a generational thing.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

Couldn't agree more, 75, and I know him a bit too. He presided over a marriage a few years ago and instead of talking up the couple and their families, Big Bill spent an hour regaling us about the Native history in the surrounding area of Temecula. It was very different. I had to leave the reception early and told him so. I had hoped to split secretly, but he spotted me and made a big to do about my leaving early for a plane ride early the next morning , asking the group for a round of applause and safe travels for me.