PDA

View Full Version : Few says options open regarding conference affiliation

Section 116
03-17-2017, 02:48 PM
This is not as dramatic as it sounds nor fits the "breaking news" definition but he did hint at the topic today. See Jacob Thorpe's report here:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/17/mark-few-says-gonzaga-will-keep-its-options-open-w/

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 03:00 PM
You put it right, nothing earth shattering, small shot across the bow. The coaching changes seem to have been very good, so perhaps there won't be a need for missiles across the bow.

Zagdawg
03-17-2017, 03:14 PM
“I actually think the Big East is positioned, if they want, to expand,” Few told William C. Rhoden of the New York Times last March. “If they wanted to expand nationally, I think that would be really, really crafty, and they could be a national basketball-only conference.”

Big East Standings
TEAM CONF OVERALL
Villanova 15-3 32-3
Butler 12-6 24-8
Creighton 10-8 25-10
Seton Hall 10-8 21-12
Marquette 10-8 19-12
Providence 10-8 20-13
Xavier 9-9 22-13
St John's 7-11 14-19
Georgetown 5-13 14-18
DePaul 2-16 9-23

basketballzag
03-17-2017, 03:21 PM
I strongly believe that the wheels are currently turning at a very fast pace and that something will be announced by the end of the year.

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 03:26 PM
I strongly believe that the wheels are currently turning at a very fast pace and that something will be announced by the end of the year.

Whoa.

And I strongly believe you must have a reason to strongly believe that.

Whoa.

MickMick
03-17-2017, 03:39 PM
The first time GU gets the treatment that SMC received last year, will be the time that conference affiliation will become a persistent topic at the Athletic Director level.

I honestly believe that if the Sabonis/Wiltjer team had failed to win the WCC tournament, had later been snubbed by the committee for an at large bid, causing Few's consecutive streak to be broken, we would have been talking about a jump to the Big East all summer. The talk would have been fueled by credible reports and leaks.

GU has elevated it's brand to the point that it will not take a selection committee snub lying down. The WCC will feel the brunt of it if it happens.

ZagsObserver
03-17-2017, 04:01 PM
This is all very interesting. GU and BYU to the big east could make sense. SMC does not fit the bill.

basketballzag
03-17-2017, 04:05 PM
This is all very interesting. GU and BYU to the big east could make sense. SMC does not fit the bill.

St. Mary's IMO is the catalyst for the move because Few saw what the NCAA committee did to them last year and to a lesser degree to BYU who should have been in the tourney too.

ZagsObserver
03-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Catalyst, perhaps, but they don't fill seats and they don't have big league facilities. They don't have big time athletic dollars flowing in or a huge following. Doubt they would be invited to the party. BYU, meanwhile, has everything SMC doesn't.

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Randy would probably be fine w/ being left behind by GU so he could get the auto bid from the WCC every year. Wouldn't have to be bothered w/ trying to upgrade his OOC schedule in that case.

75Zag
03-17-2017, 04:28 PM
I am not good at math, but what would it cost all those teams to fly to Spokane once a year to play GU in a 6000 seat arena? Not holding my breath on any of this - seems like a pleasant diversion while waiting for the next NCAA game, but not a lot of substance here.

Go Bulldogs!

kclubfounder
03-17-2017, 04:31 PM
The quickest and easiest way to end the magical run that my beloved Gonzaga basketball program has incredibly gone on would be for our conference affiliation to end.

kclubfounder
03-17-2017, 04:37 PM
I PRAY that the talk about moving to another conference is entirely from uneducated (albeit well meaning) fans.

I PRAY for that almost as much as I pray that our team plays up to their ability and we realize the unbelievable, incredible, unthinkable (not that long ago), stupendous goal of playing in the Final Four - and WINNING IT!!!!!

OK, back to the point of the thread. Anyone who thinks Gonzaga would be better off in another conference is, in my humble opinion, A FOOL!!!! A nice, lovely, well meaning fool. But A FOOL!!!!!

stretch
03-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Fool here! Nothing special about the WCC other than Gonzaga, SMC, and BYU.

NEC26
03-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Personally I feel the WCC has made some great coaching hires and is trending upwards in a big way.

ZagsObserver
03-17-2017, 04:45 PM
I PRAY that the talk about moving to another conference is entirely from uneducated (albeit well meaning) fans.

I PRAY for that almost as much as I pray that our team plays up to their ability and we realize the unbelievable, incredible, unthinkable (not that long ago), stupendous goal of playing in the Final Four - and WINNING IT!!!!!

OK, back to the point of the thread. Anyone who thinks Gonzaga would be better off in another conference is, in my humble opinion, A FOOL!!!! A nice, lovely, well meaning fool. But A FOOL!!!!!

Few is a fool? Obviously, GU is still in the WCC, but he is positioning the team to move if it makes sense. I wouldn't say it's foolish to continually evaluate options.

All Weather Fan
03-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Oh boy ! Here we go again.
"A national basketball only conference."
And where would all of our other sports play ? I kinda doubt the WCC would want GU without men's basketball. Just saying...........

bartruff1
03-17-2017, 05:12 PM
The quickest and easiest way to end the magical run that my beloved Gonzaga basketball program has incredibly gone on would be for our conference affiliation to end.

It has been the magic carpet....

Zagsker
03-17-2017, 05:19 PM

It's going to end eventually, I would rather it happen because we finished 6th in the Big East and not 2nd in the WCC

Need to upgrade conf ...GU misses the tourney here and there in the future while in the WCC recruiting can start to slide, program slides, etc....miss it in the Big East you are still in a "name" conference with nationally known teams, recruiting doesn't slide as much, program stays healthy

LouisianaZag
03-17-2017, 05:19 PM
A Big East National Conference in 2 divisions. Gonzaga, St Marys, BYU, Creighton, Depaul, Marquette, Xavier. Play each of these teams twice and play the remaining schools once each year once each year, 4 at home 3 away one year, reverse the next year. Play tournament in the United Center in Chicago. It works but I would rather stay in the WCC if the bottom feeders will build their programs.

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Geographical bounds are already being stretched, but I think a national conference is a horrible, asinine concept and hope it never comes to fruition.

ZagsObserver
03-17-2017, 05:21 PM

...but I understand why you believe this and the reasons GU succeeds in the WCC. It's just too bad that the conference administrators don't do ANYTHING to help make this advantageous to GU. And I mean nothing. It's a shame, and if GU left maybe they'd regret their unbending positions.

Zagsker
03-17-2017, 05:25 PM
And where would all of our other sports play ? I kinda doubt the WCC would want GU without men's basketball. Just saying...........

I think when basketball only comes up they are referring to schools that don't have football...or if they do they are I-AA

A quick check showed BE mens/women's soccer

bartruff1
03-17-2017, 05:39 PM
If Few wants better competition....he can quit playing the cup cakes in the non conference....

CDC84
03-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Folks, from a financial perspective, Gonzaga must schedule a certain amount of "cupcakes" per year for revenue purposes. They MUST do it. Just like BCS teams do it. It is a quick way of generating bucks, and revenue and profit are a major of the program's success. The team also needs a break at times from the non-stop grind of playing BCS heavy hitters during non-league play. It's also not their fault that a universal top 25 team in SDSU turned out like crap, and that the Orlando organizers assigned GU Quinnipeac instead of a BCS school. Also, once again, by foolishly adding Pacific to the league, 2 non-league games have been taken away from Gonzaga.....games that would normally go to BCS teams. Few is not going to schedule 12 games vs. BCS teams with 9 of them on the road. It makes no sense financially or in terms of developing a team. The last thing next year's team needs is to go right from the Knight Tourney to some road game at Miami FLA.

I personally think some of this talk from Few is just talk to get people thinking about things and to stir up things. To get the league seriously thinking about ways to raise the "cellar dwellars" from sucking so bad. The WCC doesn't want to lose Gonzaga, trust me.

jazzdelmar
03-17-2017, 05:50 PM

That's so 1999 thinking.

gonzagafan62
03-17-2017, 05:50 PM
If Few wants better competition....he can quit playing the cup cakes in the non conference....

LOL! You can't just "quit" playing cupcakes. Not good for the players .... look at what happened in 2009.

jazzdelmar
03-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Folks, from a financial perspective, Gonzaga must schedule a certain amount of "cupcakes" per year for revenue purposes. They MUST do it. Just like BCS teams do it. It is a quick way of generating bucks, and revenue and profit are a major of the program's success. The team also needs a break at times from the non-stop grind of playing BCS heavy hitters during non-league play. It's also not their fault that a universal top 25 team in SDSU turned out like crap, and that the Orlando organizers assigned GU Quinnipeac instead of a BCS school. Also, once again, by foolishly adding Pacific to the league, 2 non-league games have been taken away from Gonzaga.....games that would normally go to BCS teams. Few is not going to schedule 12 games vs. BCS teams with 9 of them on the road. It makes no sense financially or in terms of developing a team. The last thing next year's team needs is to go right from the Knight Tourney to some road game at Miami FLA.

I personally think some of this talk from Few is just talk to get people thinking about things and to stir up things. To get the league seriously thinking about ways to raise the "cellar dwellars" from sucking so bad. The WCC doesn't want to lose Gonzaga, trust me. .

A lot of that is forecasting and negotiating. And standing up for one's position. Throwing up collective arms, that's not productive.

ZagsObserver
03-17-2017, 05:55 PM
It's not just the competition but the finances. Gonzaga brings in the dollars but doesn't get to keep it. A more equitable arrangement is needed.

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 06:13 PM
It's not just the competition but the finances. Gonzaga brings in the dollars but doesn't get to keep it. A more equitable arrangement is needed.

Seen from the outside, it seems now that this is where much of the friction comes from. One senses that, whereas the Zags as the conference's biggest money-maker and name-maker, the conference would go out of its way to assist GU by promoting it, allowing a greater say/share in revenue, whatever. Instead, seen from the outside, the feel is that the conference wants to take what GU's built, and scatter it throughout the league w/o demands on the other teams.

One other nagging thing, at times it feels like the league wants to bring "the others" up even if it takes driving GU down a peg toward the others - though it's a nebulous idea and hard to put a finger on any sole point.

Zagdawg
03-17-2017, 06:40 PM
Some interesting tidbits

"Many conferences split their Basketball Fund payments evenly, but others like the Big East offer a performance-based incentive to the schools that earn NCAA bids. That means that after playing in three straight NCAAs, Providence would see more of the money than a school like Marquette, which has missed the tourney in each of the conference's first three seasons."

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/20160409/big-east-basketball-not-among-top-money-makers

Gonzaga was paid slightly less by the WCC in 2012 than in 2011, $449,277, as was BYU, $312,015, and SMC, $256,277. The rest of the conference was up however, averaging $284,610. If indeed the WCC is building TheW.tv out of the decreased distribution, Gonzaga, BYU, and St. Mary’s are not only helping the rest of the conference get on TV more with good basketball, they’re largely paying for it as well.

Fox is paying the reformed Big East $500 million over 12 years, or about $4 million per year per team.
The new Big East yesterday formally inked a 12-year, $500M contract with Fox Sports, a “sum that will rise" to $600M if, "as expected, the league expands to 12 members,” according to Richard Sandomir of the N.Y. TIMES.

https://www.loyalcougars.com/2015/03/23/byu-basketball/6761-wcc-revenue-more-than-doubled-from-2007-to-2012/

VinnyZag
03-17-2017, 06:43 PM
There still isn't a plausible alternative to the WCC.

Keep in mind that any move would be for all sports, not just basketball. Flying the tennis and cross country teams to DC and NYC for league games isn't feasible, IMO. And i havent seen any evidence that the BE is interested, outside of some rumors from several years ago.

MDABE80
03-17-2017, 06:45 PM
If anything, the PAC 12 is the only choice. Much nicer travel, bigger instiutions, better teams, money better. I can't see anything else that would suit our needs.......more so if we win it all this year.

ZagsObserver
03-17-2017, 06:47 PM
I can't speak for the other sports mentioned, but Gonzaga cross country only runs against conference foes once a year, and that's during the championships.

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 06:50 PM
If anything, the PAC 12 is the only choice. Much nicer travel, bigger instiutions, better teams, money better. I can't see anything else that would suit our needs.......more so if we win it all this year.

There's no way that's going to happen. Pac 12 isn't going to take a school that doesn't play football.

Outraged
03-17-2017, 08:14 PM
I think one must keep their options open. On the other hand life had been for us in the wcc. Real good. Now there was a time some time ago when people said why not here? And here we are.
I always thought that other schools in our conference would build from our success. Also if you look at conference rpi we just need the lowest five schools to win one more game each and we're right behind the pac 12.

MDABE80
03-17-2017, 09:02 PM
There's no way that's going to happen. Pac 12 isn't going to take a school that doesn't play football.

They did for baseball..Pac 10 North. True story from the 70s/80s. It could happen.

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 09:10 PM
They did for baseball..Pac 10 North. True story from the 70s/80s. It could happen.

They've got a bunch of provisional members for sports like men's volleyball, water polo, probably others. I can't see them adding a basketball only member though. If they expand it will be with an eye on football.

ProVeeZag
03-17-2017, 09:15 PM
I personally think some of this talk from Few is just talk to get people thinking about things and to stir up things. To get the league seriously thinking about ways to raise the "cellar dwellars" from sucking so bad. The WCC doesn't want to lose Gonzaga, trust me.

Exactly. Were Few to say, oh gosh, we're so happy here in the WCC, we would never consider leaving...that would tell the league and its members they have no reason to re-invigorate their programs. It would say, the gravy train continues because GU won't leave. Subtle comment meant to keep rest of the league just a bit off-balance.

MickMick
03-18-2017, 04:53 AM
Exactly. Were Few to say, oh gosh, we're so happy here in the WCC, we would never consider leaving...that would tell the league and its members they have no reason to re-invigorate their programs. It would say, the gravy train continues because GU won't leave. Subtle comment meant to keep rest of the league just a bit off-balance.

Subtle now.

Wait until the committee snub happens. Especially if GU has 25 plus wins.

I guarantee you that everyone here will be changing their tune.

Additionally, you know what could be the catalyst to send Mark Few to another job?

That would be the same thing. A committee snub similar to what SMC received last year.

Let's hope it never happens.

On another note, the rhetoric from Mark Few has been rather....persistent

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2012/12/12/3758586/report-gonzaga-would-love-to-part-ways-with-the-wcc

Bogozags
03-18-2017, 07:00 AM

The question is where would all the other GU Teams play?

This is the overriding question and most probably the one that would prevent GU moving to the BEast.

I once again bring up that the only step up regarding moving to another conference is the MWC...Yes some say it's a step down but this would be a good fit for GU...all its sports teams would fit nicely in the MWC as they only have 11 teams (12 for football with Hawaii). Economics is one reason the BEast isn't going to expand west as the cost of travel would increase tremendously for each BEast school as well as GU and whatever other school hypothetically would be asked to join.

The MWC sent four teams to the dance in 2013, two teams in 2014, two teams in 2015, one team in 2016 and 2017.

If we were to move conferences, I would think that the MWC would be a better choice economically and also, all our teams could compete within the MWC.

tyra
03-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Upfront qualifier: I'm probably the least qualified person to opine on this but it's not going to stop me. First, adding Pacific seems to me not just to be a bad decision but a truly terrible one. Sorry, Pacific, but if there is anyway to unring that bell, I'm for it. Second, GU has leverage. It is the cash cow. That leverage ought to be used somehow to achieve our aims of better competition (sans Pacific and with more out of conference games) or an upgrade in the league. Money talks. We just have to figure out how.

webspinnre
03-18-2017, 08:32 AM
Upfront qualifier: I'm probably the least qualified person to opine on this but it's not going to stop me. First, adding Pacific seems to me not just to be a bad decision but a truly terrible one. Sorry, Pacific, but if there is anyway to unring that bell, I'm for it. Second, GU has leverage. It is the cash cow. That leverage ought to be used somehow to achieve our aims of better competition (sans Pacific and with more out of conference games) or an upgrade in the league. Money talks. We just have to figure out how.

Exactly. Not a good athletic school, not an attractive market. If you really wanted to add a bottom feeder, why not at least add Denver or Seattle to get a program that has some potential upside an an attractive market? Denver in particular would be a great market to expand into.

MiamiZags
03-18-2017, 09:23 AM
The last thing next year's team needs is to go right from the Knight Tourney to some road game at Miami FLA.

Is/was there talk of this matchup? Or were you just picking the furthest hypothetical place to travel to? (Still waiting for my 2 fave teams to play one day- but preferably not in the tournament)