PDA

View Full Version : Over Inflated Balls/New Balls

former1dog
03-17-2017, 10:34 AM
So, apparently Coaches Few and Michaelson made mention of the basketballs as a potential problem in the game yesterday.

Well, you know what they say about excuses.

Did a quick look at shooting percentages from all the other games. Winning teams, with the exception of Gonzaga, shot above season averages in SLC and losing teams shot slightly below season averages. A to be expected set of stats.

Just shoot better, like you can, Bulldogs! No excuses.

LongIslandZagFan
03-17-2017, 10:38 AM
So, apparently Coaches Few and Michaelson made mention of the basketballs as a potential problem in the game yesterday.

Did a quick look at shooting percentages from all the other games. Winning teams, with the exception of Gonzaga, shot above season averages in SLC and losing teams shot slightly below season averages. A to be expected set of stats.

There was an article on another thread. Home team provides the balls used during the regular season. That is typically provided by the company they have equipment contracts with. In GU's case, that would be Nike. Now I am not 100% sure if GU uses Nike, but it would stand to reason. The NCAA uses Wilson. So while they may not be over inflated it is more likely that the players need to adjust to them... and the rims (which the NCAA seems to have dialed in uber-tight).

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 10:39 AM

Didn't seem to bother SMC. Here's my question: were new balls used in every game, or were they the same used in the first game, i.e. our game?

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 10:41 AM
There was an article on another thread. Home team provides the balls used during the regular season. That is typically provided by the company they have equipment contracts with. In GU's case, that would be Nike. Now I am not 100% sure if GU uses Nike, but it would stand to reason. The NCAA uses Wilson. So while they may not be over inflated it is more likely that the players need to adjust to them... and the rims (which the NCAA seems to have dialed in uber-tight).

Anytime one plays in an NBA arena, I think you're guaranteed that the rims will be as tight as can be - seems like Staples was unforgiving to both teams, too.

but, the excuses do get tired, especially when other teams deal with it just fine.

Rangerzag
03-17-2017, 10:45 AM
Always looks to me like during a game both teams are using the same ball.

team6
03-17-2017, 10:47 AM
I was at work most of the day yesterday, I was able to watch all the Zag game and most of the Saint Mary's game and it seemed like a lot of missed free throws from good free throw shooters in those games. Not sure about the zona or nw games but I'm wondering if something was up with the balls and rims. I didn't look at stats though so this is just the eye test. Just seemed like I kept seeing people miss free throws and easierish shots.

Zagceo
03-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Anytime one plays in an NBA arena, I think you're guaranteed that the rims will be as tight as can be - seems like Staples was unforgiving to both teams, too.

but, the excuses do get tired, especially when other teams deal with it just fine.

one could view it as a defense mechanism ....pro golfer may blame wind/club/ball for bad shot....can't be me because I'm good.

LongIslandZagFan
03-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Not saying it as an excuse. Just saying there IS a difference. BTW... SMC doesn't have a contract with Nike... they may very well use a Wilson. Each ball style has a different feel. It can be an added discomfort for players... but not enough to make them miss... but they adjust. If we WERE to say it was bothering them... it seemed to have worked itself out in the second half and I am sure they are likely good to go for tomorrow. The rims being tight... again, something to adjust to... that is all.

LongIslandZagFan
03-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Always looks to me like during a game both teams are using the same ball.

Yes, but it is a ever so slight advantage to a home team when they use a ball the opposing team doesn't... and the advantage is short-lived.

johno
03-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Might be something to it in this particular game. Few is not a noted excuse maker. Both GU and SDSU were held to season or near season lows. Yes, I know the Zags are a great defensive team...

krozman
03-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Where did he talk about this as an issue? If you're relying on the postgame interview on Mark Few talking about the inflation of the balls, he was clearly being sarcastic.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Isn't this done every year? And if so, why don't we practice with the balls that will be used in the tournament?

former1dog
03-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Didn't seem to bother SMC. Here's my question: were new balls used in every game, or were they the same used in the first game, i.e. our game?

I was fortunate enough to be there with good seats. Balls looked new.

Same balls used were used for the Northwestern/Vanderbilt game. I'm assuming the same were used for the evening session, but I wasn't there so can't say they were the same.

Rangerzag
03-17-2017, 10:55 AM
Yes, but it is a ever so slight advantage to a home team when they use a ball the opposing team doesn't... and the advantage is short-lived.

LI,
Thanks for a serious answer to a sarcastic post.

:cheers:

former1dog
03-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Isn't this done every year? And if so, why don't we practice with the balls that will be used in the tournament?

I'm assuming as per normal, Gonzaga got a shoot around on Wednesday and presumably they used the same balls they used on Thursday.

All I know is that Gonzaga missed a lot of shots that were wide open in the game versus SDSU. They missed free throws. They even missed lay ups.

Furthermore, they missed lots of shots that they all hit over and over again in warmups before the game and at half time.

It wasn't the damn basketballs. They just were missing.

I'm confident they'll clean that up tomorrow.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm assuming as per normal, Gonzaga got a shoot around on Wednesday and presumably they used the same balls they used on Thursday.

All I know is that Gonzaga missed a lot of shots that were wide open in the game versus SDSU. They missed free throws. They even missed lay ups.

Furthermore, they missed lots of shots that they all hit over and over again in warmups before the game and at half time.

It wasn't the damn basketballs. They just were missing.

I'm confident they'll clean that up tomorrow.

+1

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 11:12 AM
I don't know if the same balls were used for every game, but we do know it was the same rims for all 4 games in SLC. St. Mary's was shooting over 60% from the floor most of the game before slipping to around 55% by the end. Arizona shot over 60% from the field for the game and hit 24-28 FT.

former1dog
03-17-2017, 11:14 AM
I don't know if the same balls were used for every game, but we do know it was the same rims for all 4 games in SLC. St. Mary's was shooting over 60% from the floor most of the game before slipping to around 55% by the end. Arizona shot over 60% from the field for the game and hit 24-28 FT.

Thank you. My point exactly.

Northwestern also shot slight above their season average field goal percentage.

All the losers, as one might expect, shot slightly below season averages. The exception was Gonzaga, missing open shots. And, SDSU facing really, really good defense.

Also notable that when SDSU had open shots, they knocked them down.

team6
03-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Yeah you're right, there should be no excuses. I went and looked and the only bad thing I noticed after a quick glance was St. Mary's Landale shot bad at his free throws but other then that Arizona and St. Mary's were both shooting great.

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Not saying it as an excuse. Just saying there IS a difference. BTW... SMC doesn't have a contract with Nike... they may very well use a Wilson. Each ball style has a different feel. It can be an added discomfort for players... but not enough to make them miss... but they adjust. If we WERE to say it was bothering them... it seemed to have worked itself out in the second half and I am sure they are likely good to go for tomorrow. The rims being tight... again, something to adjust to... that is all.

I didn't think you were using it as an excuse, more the mentions by the coaches, though that likely was light, too.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 11:50 AM
LOL - I can only imagine how we'd react if SDSU blamed their shooting woes on the basketball, and not our defense. Yowza!!!

Zagceo
03-17-2017, 12:00 PM
throw away line that gets over analyzed .......after Saturday never to be talked about it again....."Onions"

Bowser
03-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Never caused any problems at SnapCo. Just sayin'

229SintoZag
03-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Never caused any problems at SnapCo. Just sayin'

I love how Bowser can lurk dormant for long, six or eight month stretches, then just pounce when he sees a golden opportunity like this.....and kill it, all in one post.

CDC84
03-17-2017, 06:03 PM
The way I look at it is is that the other team has use the same ball as well. If they switched balls every possession....then I might have a few questions for the NCAA.

CDC84
03-17-2017, 06:08 PM
I would be highly surprised if Gonzaga shoots nearly as bad from three tomorrow against NW, regardless of how the ball is.

ProVeeZag
03-17-2017, 09:31 PM

Bumpity-bump-bump! Pretty sure we could scrape up enough to buy another 15 or 20 balls, Wilson, Nike, Rawlings, or Nerf, for that matter. Have the guys autograph them at end of season and donate to charity.

TheZagPhish
03-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Bumpity-bump-bump! Pretty sure we could scrape up enough to buy another 15 or 20 balls, Wilson, Nike, Rawlings, or Nerf, for that matter.

Was with you until you mentioned Nerf. Pretty sure the new exercise facility will preclude that one.

Zagger
03-18-2017, 12:09 AM
Mumps!