PDA

View Full Version : Serious question on a mark few statement

Zags11
03-17-2017, 10:41 AM
I know this thread will be 1 starred because their is a "few" things you can't do on here.

I am glad few is our coach and im hoping we make final 4 with him and titles and he stays forever.

This quote from him threw me off.

"That 1-16 game, someone can have that from here on out,” Few sighed. “I’ve served my time. I’ll go ahead and land somewhere else. I’ll explain that to the committee next year.”

Here is the link:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/16/john-blanchette-zags-didnt-exactly-shine-as-guardi/

Is he saying he doesn't want to be a 1 seed? If so, I understand why our teams have seemed tight when the favorite in the tournament game. We need to realize that when we are the favorite to embrace the haters and Cinderella's and stomp them out. We aren't "little gonzaga" in the hearts of most of america anymore.

If he means something else? My apology.

I know ppl gonna come in and say shut up or whatever but that quote threw me off.

former1dog
03-17-2017, 10:44 AM
If you watched the press conference where he said that, it was just kind of a joke. Don't take it to seriously.

Hoopaholic
03-17-2017, 10:45 AM
I know this thread will be 1 starred because their is a "few" things you can't do on here.

I am glad few is our coach and im hoping we make final 4 with him and titles and he stays forever.

This quote from him threw me off.

"That 1-16 game, someone can have that from here on out, Few sighed. Ive served my time. Ill go ahead and land somewhere else. Ill explain that to the committee next year.

Here is the link:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/16/john-blanchette-zags-didnt-exactly-shine-as-guardi/

Is he saying he doesn't want to be a 1 seed? If so, I understand why our teams have seemed tight when the favorite in the tournament game. We need to realize that when we are the favorite to embrace the haters and Cinderella's and stomp them out. We aren't "little gonzaga" in the hearts of most of america anymore.

If he means something else? My apology.

I know ppl gonna come in and say shut up or whatever but that quote threw me off.

His dry sense of humor as it pertained to all the attention on a 1 seed going be upset by a 16 seed. Nothing more nothing less

In other words his poke at media for harping on something so much it gets in the way of other great stories involving march madness

Zagceo
03-17-2017, 10:45 AM
throw away line.....joke

kitzbuel
03-17-2017, 10:46 AM
The pressure on him and the team was obvious. It is nearly withering. The team was crazy tight. That was not a fun situation for me as a fan, I can't imagine how unfun it was for him.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Robzagnut
03-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Tremendous pressure on #1 seeds as one has never lost. Lose-lose situation. If you're close at halftime and/or only win by 10 you're overrated. If you blow the other team out (GU's margin of victory was the highest yesterday) then you were supposed to do it. Also, I think there's frustration of having to play in SLC rather than Sacramento.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Tremendous pressure on #1 seeds as one has never lost. Lose-lose situation. If you're close at halftime and/or only win by 10 you're overrated. If you blow the other team out (GU's margin of victory was the highest yesterday) then you were supposed to do it. Also, I think there's frustration of having to play in SLC rather than Sacramento.

It's now 130-0. It may not happen in my lifetime, but it will happen. No one wants to be the first.

Who would be the most likely contender? IMO, a team that gets to play that #1 seed during OOC play, i.e. a money game, followed by a win in the play-in game.

It's like the 1980 hockey team. They played the Soviets prior to the Olympics, and were demolished. But, it gave them a chance to experience it before the Olympics, it got rid of the shock and awe.

thespywhozaggedme
03-17-2017, 11:00 AM
It's now 130-0. It may not happen in my lifetime, but it will happen. No one wants to be the first.

Who would be the most likely contender? IMO, a team that gets to play that #1 seed during OOC play, i.e. a money game, followed by a win in the play-in game.

It's like the 1980 hockey team. They played the Soviets prior to the Olympics, and were demolished. But, it gave them a chance to experience it before the Olympics, it got rid of the shock and awe.

It will never happen because there is such a disparity between number one and number 16. Keep in mind these number 16's are usually worse than the majority of the NIT teams that are only in the tournament because they won their low tier conference.

johno
03-17-2017, 11:00 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread so this one appears appropriate ("Mark Few statement"). I noticed that both Few and Michaelson both made references to the basketballs. Few in his press conference said they were new and over-inflated. Michaelson said the players needed to get used to the new balls and the backboards. Can anyone shed anymore light on these issues? Wouldn't it make sense to use the the type of ball used in the NCAAs during the regular season?

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 11:04 AM

He's got to get past the SLC thing, today. It's now in his head (so it seems) and that's just awful for the players. Teams play like their coach coaches. When we're the underdog, no one beats us in the first round, nor second last year. But, damn, coach - get over it and beat Northwestern. I dread feeling his tightness all the way through my TV - already. Crowd against him, him bitter about it ....grrr

Zagdawg
03-17-2017, 11:15 AM
Reading into it too much Dix.....move on.

Zags11
03-17-2017, 11:16 AM
OK I didn't see press conference. So if he was joking, well that makes sense. If not, well that makes sense. Lol

Reborn
03-17-2017, 11:19 AM
He's got to get past the SLC thing, today. It's now in his head (so it seems) and that's just awful for the players. Teams play like their coach coaches. When we're the underdog, no one beats us in the first round, nor second last year. But, damn, coach - get over it and beat Northwestern. I dread feeling his tightness all the way through my TV - already. Crowd against him, him bitter about it ....grrr

I know Few wanted to play in Sacramento. I don't blame him. Oregon gets the treatment of a #1 seed. Regarding inflated balls. If they were it would be a factor. The rims were obviously very tight, which makes it tougher to shoot on, but if the balls are inflated it makes it even harder. I also don't believe that if Few is uptight that it would affect his players. Was if Few's fault also that his team shot so poorly, especially from the Foul Line? At some point the players must be accountable to make shots. That's THEY'RE JOB. The players are focused on how to guard their man and stop him. On offense the focus is on how to make the offensive plays work. Just my opinion!

Zagceo
03-17-2017, 11:21 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread so this one appears appropriate ("Mark Few statement"). I noticed that both Few and Michaelson both made references to the basketballs. Few in his press conference said they were new and over-inflated. Michaelson said the players needed to get used to the new balls and the backboards. Can anyone shed anymore light on these issues? Wouldn't it make sense to use the the type of ball used in the NCAAs during the regular season?

http://sportzedge.com/2015/01/27/shooters-find-not-every-basketball-is-the-same-in-the-college-game/

MickMick
03-17-2017, 11:26 AM
We don't hear the barrage of questions that the press asks Mark Few.

Put yourself in his shoes. If half of all the interview questions were qualified with "No #1 seed has ever lost to a #16 seed", after about the tenth iteration, how would you respond?

Probably similar to what we heard from Mark Few.

Remember that the coach is trying to be a buffer between the antagonist subset of the media and his players. He wants to "feel" the pressure in his players stead, but he is also human, and has his own breaking point.

beaverzag
03-17-2017, 11:26 AM
I know Few wanted to play in Sacramento. I don't blame him. Oregon gets the treatment of a #1 seed.

Maybe Gonzaga needs to find a billionaire sneaker company owner as a benefactor/owner.

Zags11
03-17-2017, 11:32 AM
I know Few wanted to play in Sacramento. I don't blame him. Oregon gets the treatment of a #1 seed. Regarding inflated balls. If they were it would be a factor. The rims were obviously very tight, which makes it tougher to shoot on, but if the balls are inflated it makes it even harder. I also don't believe that if Few is uptight that it would affect his players. Was if Few's fault also that his team shot so poorly, especially from the Foul Line? At some point the players must be accountable to make shots. That's THEY'RE JOB. The players are focused on how to guard their man and stop him. On offense the focus is on how to make the offensive plays work. Just my opinion!

Players come and players go but at times tightness stays the same.

Zags11
03-17-2017, 11:33 AM
We don't hear the barrage of questions that the press asks Mark Few.

Put yourself in his shoes. If half of all the interview questions were qualified with "No #1 seed has ever lost to a #16 seed", after about the tenth iteration, how would you respond?

Probably similar to what we heard from Mark Few.

Remember that the coach is trying to be a buffer between the antagonist subset of the media and his players. He wants to "feel" the pressure in his players stead, but he is also human, and has his own breaking point.

Great response. Yea I'd be annoyed lol.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Maybe Gonzaga needs to find a billionaire sneaker company owner as a benefactor/owner.

Didn't that ship sail when Few turned Phil down on the Oregon job?

Zags11
03-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Hey look some 12 year old 1-starred the thread like I assumed would happen. Lmao. No wonder the board has lost some veteran posters. Some cowards on here.

team6
03-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Players come and players go but at times tightness stays the same.

This happens to a lot of teams, teams with great coaches. Duke has lost to a 15 seed as has Kansas and others. That's never happened to Gonzaga. These are kids, kids get nervous and play tight. They always have and they always will. I don't get the hate on few for this.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 11:37 AM
The pressure on him and the team was obvious. It is nearly withering. The team was crazy tight. That was not a fun situation for me as a fan, I can't imagine how unfun it was for him.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Let's not forget yesterday's game was the first for Nigel and J3, and the second for Jordan. Of course, it was the first for our freshman as well. Throw in some jitters with their first game in nearly two weeks, and the first half wasn't all that illogical of a result. Our Dance vets like Karno, Silas, and Josh were a bit sub-par in that first half, too.

beaverzag
03-17-2017, 11:39 AM
Didn't that ship sail when Few turned Phil down on the Oregon job?

Point is the special treatment that oregon always seems to receive.

Zags11
03-17-2017, 11:39 AM
This happens to a lot of teams, teams with great coaches. Duke has lost to a 15 seed as has Kansas and others. That's never happened to Gonzaga. These are kids, kids get nervous and play tight. They always have and they always will. I don't get the hate on few for this.

Yep it has to duke. Question though? How many 2 seeds has duke had in comparison to zags? Or 1 seed? Or titles?

I get we aren't blue bloods and few has done a helluva job here. Great guy in and out of coaching box. However, come march we have blown multiple huge leads in march that can't be ignored either.

team6
03-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Yep it has to duke. Question though? How many 2 seeds has duke had in comparison to zags? Or 1 seed? Or titles?

I get we aren't blue bloods and few has done a helluva job here. Great guy in and out of coaching box. However, come march we have blown multiple huge leads in march that can't be ignored either.

No you're right on that, those teams have won national championships so they get passes. Now we're talking just like the media. But seriously Duke has under performed so many times and so many others have as well it's just these teams have gone the distance as well, so in the public eye they get a pass. I'm thinking even if Gonzaga gets it done this year they still wont have a pass, but I'm wrong a lot so who knows. But they played super tight yesterday I'm hoping they got that out of their system.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Those demons will not be exorcised until we make it to the third weekend.

Although I understand it, I was a bit testy with my Dukie coworker. He can't talk about his team, he just goes out of his way to denigrate other programs, i.e. guess who. I told him his shtick was beyond its shelf life and returned to my work.

Zags11
03-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Those demons will not be exorcised until we make it to the third weekend.

Although I understand it, I was a bit testy with my Dukie coworker. He can't talk about his team, he just goes out of his way to denigrate other programs, i.e. guess who. I told him his shtick was beyond its shelf life and returned to my work.

Screw duke. Screw em. Lmao. I just want to make final 4 for kids, coaches, fans and for my non zag friends to shut the hell up!

team6
03-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Screw duke. Screw em. Lmao. I just want to make final 4 for kids, coaches, fans and for my non zag friends to shut the hell up!

Yes!

BayAreaZagFan
03-17-2017, 12:20 PM
My boss's boss went to Duke. She's very cool, but very, very condescending. Not sure which is worse - obnoxious or condescending? At least with the obnoxious ones, you can make an argument that they're scared in some way and just projecting false confidence.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 12:27 PM
My boss's boss went to Duke. She's very cool, but very, very condescending. Not sure which is worse - obnoxious or condescending? At least with the obnoxious ones, you can make an argument that they're scared in some way and just projecting false confidence.

It would probably be a bad idea to ask her if she was a regular at the lacrosse parties...

Zags11
03-17-2017, 12:36 PM
It would probably be a bad idea to ask her if she was a regular at the lacrosse parties...

:lmao:

maynard g krebs
03-17-2017, 01:10 PM
I know Few wanted to play in Sacramento. I don't blame him. Oregon gets the treatment of a #1 seed.

Just my opinion!

Um, they will have to play Louisville in the S16, and if they win that one they get Kansas 30 or 40 miles from Lawrence. Not my idea of 1 seed treatment.

Robzagnut
03-17-2017, 02:03 PM
They interviewed Louisville coach Rick Pitino at halftime. He said that for some reason lately all the #1 and #2 seeds are playing tight. And that the lower seeds have nothing to lose, so they come out relaxed.

So, Few and GU aren't the only ones feeling it.

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 02:11 PM
North Carolina didn't get the memo. They don't appear to be playing tight or nervous today.

MDABE80
03-17-2017, 02:15 PM
What he meant was the pressure of possibly being the first no 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed, He hates it. It's bound to happen Just a matter of time. He wants no part of being the first no 1 to lose in the opening round, He almost did in the 2013 disaster. Who would want that following him around. Hell, Wichita St loss still does. Can't shake it for now but a title would likely erase all the finger pointing and the BS we've seen for the past 4 years.
Worse! It loomed over the E8 Pangos put us in. That's sayin something!

kdaleb
03-17-2017, 02:33 PM

Committee rules say unless you're the overall #1 then you don't get the choice - you get sent to whichever site is closer.

kclubfounder
03-17-2017, 03:21 PM
It will never happen because there is such a disparity between number one and number 16. Keep in mind these number 16's are usually worse than the majority of the NIT teams that are only in the tournament because they won their low tier conference.

I disagree. The day will come when a hot team (who didn't win the regular season, but won the tourney and therefore got a 16 seed) from a little conference plays a crazy good game and the 1 seed chokes. As time marches on, there is more and more parity. I think it is somewhat amazing it hasn't happened yet. There have been about 6 or 7 really, really close calls. It's gonna happen. And I'd be willing to bet even money it happens in the next decade.

Zagsker
03-17-2017, 04:03 PM
I truly believe Few was/is anxious about being a 1 seed. Simply for the fact, no matter how unjustified it is, GU nationally has to deal with "do they deserve it?" from media and opossing fans.

I know myself as a fan, I had concerns when we were a 1 in 13 and this year. Not because I didn't think we deserved it but national perception would SKY ROCKET if GU was the 1 that loss to a 16. Say a blueblood was the first, it would be embarrassing, but nationally that teams pedigree doesn't take nearly the hit GU'S would

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 04:25 PM
I truly believe Few was/is anxious about being a 1 seed. Simply for the fact, no matter how unjustified it is, GU nationally has to deal with "do they deserve it?" from media and opossing fans.

I know myself as a fan, I had concerns when we were a 1 in 13 and this year. Not because I didn't think we deserved it but national perception would SKY ROCKET if GU was the 1 that loss to a 16. Say a blueblood was the first, it would be embarrassing, but nationally that teams pedigree doesn't take nearly the hit GU'S would

I agree.

That's why I kind of like having everyone on the NU bandwagon, full arena, etc. The more Few - and thus the team - feels like their backs are against the wall, the more "natural" it will feel for them to play the role of the hunter. I honestly believe that if the whole place is shaking loud with NU, it frees our guys up to play hard.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2017, 08:05 PM
I disagree. The day will come when a hot team (who didn't win the regular season, but won the tourney and therefore got a 16 seed) from a little conference plays a crazy good game and the 1 seed chokes. As time marches on, there is more and more parity. I think it is somewhat amazing it hasn't happened yet. There have been about 6 or 7 really, really close calls. It's gonna happen. And I'd be willing to bet even money it happens in the next decade.

It will never happen and I'd be willing to bet big $$$ on it. The 16's are again, not only worse teams than most NIT entrants, but also in the "play in" game. The disparity in talent between a 1 and a 16 is just way to large.