PDA

View Full Version : We should make a pact with St. Mary's

GoZag
03-17-2017, 07:10 AM
Since we are playing in back to back games tomorrow. We should make a pact with St. Mary's that we will cheer for them during their game and ask them to cheer for us during our game.

kylasdad
03-17-2017, 07:49 AM
Lots of us were cheering for them yesterday. The stadium will be for them tomorrow. I wish I could say the same for our zags. Lots of purple noise in there.

webspinnre
03-17-2017, 07:57 AM
A win for St. Mary's is not only good for the visibility of the WCC, but also for the overall bottom-line - more shares for everyone!

irishzag_09
03-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Since we are playing in back to back games tomorrow. We should make a pact with St. Mary's that we will cheer for them during their game and ask them to cheer for us during our game.

WCC vs ALL....I realize Nike sponsors GU and Under Armour Sponsors SMC...but the WCC sent out that stupid survey on how we get more brand recognition for the conference? Give them shooting shirts/pregame warmups that say "WCC VS ALL"...Gonzaga is the villain to Northwestern's cute little story that we are about to end Saturday...and SMC is the darling to the Tuscon Tribe...the conference just sticks it's head in the sand...have someone just make up the shirts, pass them out to the teams and the fans and put everyone on notice that Gonzaga and Saint Mary's doesn't give a S#!T who gets in their way!!

SWZag
03-17-2017, 08:07 AM
Shouldn't need to be a pact, it should be common sense! :) When you realize that cheering for a rival will actual increase your own team's standing, then you've matured as a fan. Too often people get so caught up in hating their rival that they diminish their own team.

former1dog
03-17-2017, 08:16 AM
SMC fans cheering for Gonzaga isn't going to make a big impact. They have a pretty small footprint compared to any of the remaining teams in SLC.

I was at the games yesterday afternoon and what was more impressive about the NW fans was their enthusiasm for their team, not just their very large numbers.

What would really help Gonzaga in terms of fan support is if the Arizona fans get behind Gonzaga. Now, THAT would make a difference.

23dpg
03-17-2017, 08:21 AM
SMC fans cheering for Gonzaga isn't going to make a big impact. They have a pretty small footprint compared to any of the remaining teams in SLC.

I was at the games yesterday afternoon and what was more impressive about the NW fans was their enthusiasm for their team, not just their very large numbers.

What would really help Gonzaga in terms of fan support is if the Arizona fans get behind Gonzaga. Now, THAT would make a difference.

Arizona fans will want GU to lose. It's in their best interests.

Zagceo
03-17-2017, 08:24 AM
Shouldn't need to be a pact, it should be common sense! :) When you realize that cheering for a rival will actual increase your own team's standing, then you've matured as a fan. Too often people get so caught up in hating their rival that they diminish their own team.

don't forget the cash aspect

former1dog
03-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Arizona fans will want GU to lose. It's in their best interests.

Unless the fans want revenge for earlier this year!

I guess we're going to find out and there are three choices for those AZ fans. Sit on their hand, cheer for us or join in with the Purple wave. Purple was pretty compelling, those fans were fun... But we'll see.

HenneZag
03-17-2017, 08:31 AM
I always root for the WCC. I found myself cheering loudly for SMC yesterday (in the comfort of my own home). I hope we can support eachoter in this tournament, anything helps. Let's represent for the WCC and make a statement. I'm sure VCU thought they had an easy game yesterday just like when most play the Zags, they were mistaken.

I don't think we have hope with AZ fans jumping on board tomorrow. The fans we do have , need to be animated and loud!

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 08:41 AM
There is no way that Arizona fans will be cheering for us. Any sensible person wants the highest ranked teams in their way knocked off, doesn't matter who it is. Ironically, it's the same dynamic for us cheering for SMC, though we would likely do that if they were in the East region.

My impression is that SMC fans cheer for us in the tournament. The other impression is that many BYU fans, despite being in our conference and us being their great win, would cheer for Golden State against us.

They'd cheer for Golden State just to enjoy our misery, at least many would seem to.

gaels87
03-17-2017, 09:26 AM
There is no way that Arizona fans will be cheering for us. Any sensible person wants the highest ranked teams in their way knocked off, doesn't matter who it is. Ironically, it's the same dynamic for us cheering for SMC, though we would likely do that if they were in the East region.

My impression is that SMC fans cheer for us in the tournament. The other impression is that many BYU fans, despite being in our conference and us being their great win, would cheer for Golden State against us.

They'd cheer for Golden State just to enjoy our misery, at least many would seem to.

I'm out here in Salt Lake and we were talking about this last night at the bar - you can bet SMC fans will be cheering for GU. Not only a ton of respect for what GU has done & the class of your fans, but also great for the conference! We know we are a longshot to win, but if we can play an A- game, we will have a chance. We also realize that we will have the crowd on our side, if we can keep it close.

BTW...it has been like seeing long-lost family members, when GU/SMC fans are together - the WCC brotherhood runs strong. We have had some GREAT conversations with your folks - it has been a lot of fun.

kitzbuel
03-17-2017, 09:35 AM

They are all going to root for NU

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Zagceo
03-17-2017, 09:38 AM
I'm out here in Salt Lake and we were talking about this last night at the bar - you can bet SMC fans will be cheering for GU. Not only a ton of respect for what GU has done & the class of your fans, but also great for the conference! We know we are a longshot to win, but if we can play an A- game, we will have a chance. We also realize that we will have the crowd on our side, if we can keep it close.

BTW...it has been like seeing long-lost family members, when GU/SMC fans are together - the WCC brotherhood runs strong. We have had some GREAT conversations with your folks - it has been a lot of fun.

stay away from foul trouble and Gaels could surprise a few people......good luck

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 09:40 AM

It's down to you and us, bro. USF and BYU both lost in the first round of their respective tournaments.

ZAG 4 LIFE
03-17-2017, 09:46 AM

You guys are tough to prep for in 24-36 hours. Hope the Gaels play loose, use the shot clock,
and defend like you always do. You should be the underdog, but that game is winnable.
Go Zags! Go Gaels!

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 09:50 AM
You guys are tough to prep for in 24-36 hours. Hope the Gaels play loose, use the shot clock,
and defend like you always do. You should be the underdog, but that game is winnable.
Go Zags! Go Gaels!

That was evidenced in spades last night. SMC is a very efficient team. Landale was superb. Arizona is going to have to step it up on defense, and the Cats may not like the pace that SMC wants to play at.

MDABE80
03-17-2017, 09:52 AM
SMC has a 45% chance of winning vs AZ. Zags have an 88% chance of beating Northwestern. ( 538 is the source).
I do not see why SMC should be nervous. SMC has the goods to win this one.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 10:00 AM
SMC has a 45% chance of winning vs AZ. Zags have an 88% chance of beating Northwestern. ( 538 is the source).
I do not see why SMC should be nervous. SMC has the goods to win this one.

Great point from Rahon after the game: SMC has played together as a team for two full years. Tough team, won't back down.

seacatfan
the Cats may not like the pace that SMC wants to play at.

I really don't understand why people keep repeating this. Arizona is fairly deliberate on offense. They are not a team that is always trying to push the pace. Seems like a false assumption many are making--Arizona is athletic so they must be up tempo. They aren't.

ZagOD7540
Some of you are fooling yourselves. It will be a very large "anti-Zag" crowd. AZ and St. Mary's fans will not root for the Zags. It will be "Zags against the arena" tomorrow. It will be a hostile road game. However, we've done well when the crowd is against us...which seems like every road game (Super Bowl game for the oppenent) the Zags play in.

Believe in "the process" boys and go get 'em!!

Ezag
03-17-2017, 10:14 AM
I will always support them as a rep of the WCC in the big dance!

SWZag
03-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Some of you are fooling yourselves. It will be a very large "anti-Zag" crowd. AZ and St. Mary's fans will not root for the Zags. It will be "Zags against the arena" tomorrow. It will be a hostile road game. However, we've done well when the crowd is against us...which seems like every road game (Super Bowl game for the oppenent) the Zags play in.

Believe in "the process" boys and go get 'em!!

Why do you think SMC would root against us?

All Weather Fan
03-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Have to agree with OD7540.
It will definitely be a hostile crowd. Should help our Zags get the chip back on the shoulder & play to destroy Northwestern.
Looking forward to sending them packing & moving on to San Jose. Zags by 20 !

ZagOD7540
03-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Why do you think SMC would root against us?

The question should actually be "Why should they?" We beat them 3 times this year and have "owned" them for years. It's ridiculous to think that all of a sudden they will be cheering on the Zags just because we are "another WCC team". The other WCC teams would like nothing better than to see the Zags get dumped.