PDA

View Full Version : Kelso native Lloyd is No. 1 Gonzaga's international recruiting ace

SWZag
03-17-2017, 06:38 AM
Yet another good article on Tommy!

The Longview Daily News: NCAA Tournament - Kelso native Lloyd is No. 1 Gonzaga's international recruiting ace (http://tdn.com/preps/ncaa-tournament-kelso-native-lloyd-is-no-gonzaga-s-international/article_0d319c5a-c435-5b2a-bc7e-d144b1822230.html)

gmo
03-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Absolutely crucial to the Zags success all of these years. I am surprised he hasn't been plucked yet, it's a matter of time (unfortunately) and hopefully the Zags brand and legacy in Europe and overseas will continue to fill that pipeline through whomever takes over that spot. A huge congrats to Tommy and his amazing success, this program wouldn't be anywhere close to what it is without you.

ProVeeZag
03-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Thx SW Zag, interesting article helps broaden my appreciation for the job Coach Tommy does!

75Zag
03-17-2017, 03:19 PM
If UW coaching position comes down to Randy Bennett or Tommy Lloyd, who is the better choice?
Neither seems an ideal choice in terms of recruiting comparable to Romar, but both are interesting options.

Go Bulldogs!

basketballzag
03-17-2017, 03:23 PM
If UW coaching position comes down to Randy Bennett or Tommy Lloyd, who is the better choice?
Neither seems an ideal choice in terms of recruiting comparable to Romar, but both are interesting options.

Go Bulldogs!

Would be absolute career suicide if either of those two take the UW position.

Section 116
03-17-2017, 03:26 PM
If you have not read Bud Wither's "Glory Hounds" as yet, you owe it to yourself. There is an entire chapter devoted to Tommy Lloyd!

75Zag
03-17-2017, 04:21 PM

Fox Sports article lists top 5 candidates as Bennett as #1, Musselman from Nevada as #2, Tommy Lloyd as #3, Russell Turner from UC Irvine as #4 and and Gregg Marshall from Wichita State as #5. All good coaches, but not a lot of racial diversity in that group. Musselman appears to be leading candidate at Cal so he may not be available to UW. Seems unlikely Marshall would leave Wichita State, but who knows.

Seattle Times lists Bennett and Musselman plus Kevin Keatts from UNC-Wilmington, T.J. Otzelberger from South Dakota State who was an assistant at UW, Leon Rice from Boise State, and Archie Miller from Dayton.

If I was the UW AD I would take a chance on Tommy Lloyd over Bennett or Otzelberger or Rice but I suspect the smart bet will be Randy Bennett.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Go Bulldogs!

Birddog
03-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Marshall makes a reported 3.3M at Wichita St, why would he leave for UW? Archie likely wouldn't want to play Sean 2 or 3 times a year. Otz has a thin resume. I can't see Charlie Brown wowing the Husky faithful. It'll be an interesting diversion to watch this play out.

mgadfly
03-17-2017, 05:29 PM
TL at UW combining international recruits with Metro League players would probably be pretty successful. I think he might even run an offense which would be a big improvement.

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 05:36 PM
TL at UW combining international recruits with Metro League players would probably be pretty successful. I think he might even run an offense which would be a big improvement.

Would he be able to get those Metro League blue chippers? Before Romar those guys mostly left Seattle for college.

mgadfly
03-17-2017, 06:12 PM
I don't know about blue chip guys since even Romar lost guys to Kentucky, Zona, UCLA, but the Gary Bell/Tony Wroten 4 star guys I think would come. Especially if they won some games.

zag buddy
03-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Romar seems like a nice enough guy. Maybe he would stay on as a PR man and recruiter.

ProVeeZag
03-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Marshall makes a reported 3.3M at Wichita St, why would he leave for UW?

$3.3 mill goes a long, long ways in Wichita KS. Not saying he'd have to live in Tukwila, but....

maynard g krebs
03-17-2017, 10:18 PM
I don't know about blue chip guys since even Romar lost guys to Kentucky, Zona, UCLA, but the Gary Bell/Tony Wroten 4 star guys I think would come. Especially if they won some games.

Tony W was in the top 20 (17 on ESPN); played in Nike Summit. It was considered a snub that he was left out of the MCD AA game. As a Garfield fr he was ranked 1 nationally in his class; others passed him later.

ZagsGoZags
03-17-2017, 10:47 PM
let's pay Tommy so much he can't leave

Zagger
03-18-2017, 01:28 AM
The natural inclination for a coach with such an extensive list of accolades is that greener pastures loom in a head coaching job in another program. Lloyd admits he owes it to himself and his family to test the waters, but similar to head coach Mark Few, he doesn’t take for granted his current spot.

“There are so many people trying to climb in this business and I think they forget to do a great job where they’re at,” Lloyd said. “I focus on trying to do a great job where I’m at, living my life in hypothetical situations, it’s a waste of time. Until something becomes more firm than hypothetical, I’m happy and this is where I belong.”

I'd love for Tommy to stay at GU but if he's going to go anywhere UW would seem (to me) to be a pretty good choice. For one, Tommy & family wouldn't have to move very far. For two, it'd sure make the GU/UW games all that much more special. Being a Wazzu grad (and a Zag grad) I've never been very keen on rooting for UW. That'd change with Tommy over there. Hard telling who UW will land as coach but if Tommy's going to be it it'd be nice to keep him in the state.

seacatfan
03-18-2017, 08:05 AM
I find myself wondering if the GU-UW series would continue if Lloyd was hired by the Huskies. Few schedules games against some of his coaching friends, but he seems to loath going up against his former assistants. The games against USD were always painful when Grier was there. Just speculating of course, but I could see both parties opting to not renew the series when the current arrangement runs out if Tommy moved west. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Few has scheduled Boise St. since Rice has been there, otherwise seems like a regional matchup against a solid program that would make some sense.

UCLAgraduate
03-18-2017, 08:44 AM

What? While the program largely underachieved under Romar, the Seattle area has blossomed into one of the best recruiting hotbeds in the entire country. When that place is rocking they have a pretty amazing home court advantage (I would know, sigh), and it's a city starving for some good basketball.

I don't know much about Lloyd outside of his recruiting, but he'd be a fool not to at least give it a good hard look if offered. Lute Olsen 15 years ago called UW the biggest sleeping giant. I've enjoyed watching them fling their own feces around and squander NBA talent year after year after year. Our UCLA board lamented Romar's firing.

seacatfan
03-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Romar owned Howland in Seattle, pretty sure he never won a game there. Even during the 3 straight Final 4 era.

mgadfly
03-18-2017, 09:19 AM
Tony W was in the top 20 (17 on ESPN); played in Nike Summit. It was considered a snub that he was left out of the MCD AA game. As a Garfield fr he was ranked 1 nationally in his class; others passed him later.

I can't remember how hard the blue bloods were going after TW, but I do remember him missing any shot that wasn't a dunk. He was runner up to GBJ for POY and was beat by CH in the state tournament. Whoever snubbed him probably got it right. I'm going to include him in the category of guys that UW can get, even without Romar. Super athletic though.