Zags 78
NW. 62

ZagsObserver
03-16-2017, 04:34 PM
GU 78
The other guys 70

CDC84
03-16-2017, 04:40 PM
I am horrible at predicting scores, but I feel it is extremely important that Gonzaga get off to a good start and get the crowd out of the game. From what I saw today, GU is just flat out better then Northwestern. Remember, even with the crowd backing them and almost zero Vandy fans in the stands, they almost lost to a close to .500 SEC team. It might have happened if a certain player didn't commit a foul, and if Vandy didn't wait until 2 seconds or whatever to take the last shot.

DixieZag
03-16-2017, 04:44 PM
If the real NWG [please] stands up

GU 80
NW 68

Zagger
03-16-2017, 05:10 PM
Well .... We can depend on Zag D
http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatNW.png
Zags 75 (Editing .... I wanna up that! Just listened to post game coach, J3, Mathews and Collins interviews. Now going with 85 for the Zags!)
Tamed Kitties 60

deathchina
03-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Gonzaga 77-66

MichZagFan
03-16-2017, 05:15 PM
74-61 Zags.......

23dpg
03-16-2017, 05:24 PM
83-68
Zags!

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks for putting this up Spy... had to go back into work tonight for an upgrade. I changed the title of the thread... hope you don't mind.

Thinking Northwestern will try to muck it up a bit... but no way Zags shoot 26% again.

Zags - 79
Northwestern - 64

Zagricultural
03-16-2017, 07:39 PM
83-71 Zags

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Thanks for putting this up Spy... had to go back into work tonight for an upgrade. I changed the title of the thread... hope you don't mind.

Thinking Northwestern will try to muck it up a bit... but no way Zags shoot 26% again.

Zags - 79
Northwestern - 64

I don't mind at all. I know we don't say it enough but I appreciate all that you guys do. Thanks

Bocco
03-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Zags 83 - Northwestern 62

CdAZagFan
03-16-2017, 08:03 PM
GU 79
NW 62

Zagricultural
03-16-2017, 08:12 PM
83-71 Zags

Zigzag92
03-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Northwestern continues their dream season and sends my bracket into the fireplace

Cats 72 Zags 68

Goshzagit
03-16-2017, 09:41 PM
Hit a couple more shots, defend their big guards, & actually see some long lost passes from the post to cutters, shooters, & high low action once again.

If we do that, we win by 12.

If not, we lose by 3.

zagsfanforlife
03-16-2017, 09:47 PM
Relax a little bit We win by 10+.. we are a much better team.

Play tight, and its a close game... if its a close game, shockingly NW has a ton more fans there and i think NW can pull off the upset. Regardless of the excuses today, yes we played good defense but lets call a spade a spade.. South Dakota was TERRRRRRRIIIIIIIIBBBBBBLLLLLEEEEEEEE.... If we play like that and NWG and Karno go missing again, we could easily lose this game. We have no more Jackrabbits ahead of us. Its all solid teams from here out

SwainZag
03-16-2017, 09:50 PM
I think we will see a team more comfortable with far less weight and expectations on their shoulder than we did today. They took a shot, recovered and missed more open looks than any Zag team than I can remember. Northwestern...who is a good story and seem to have a bunch of great kids, will hang around til half, into the 2nd half when the pure talent takes over.

Zags win 79-62.

Adding to this....as someone who has watched this program for almost 20 years, who would have known we could go into the tournament in SLC, AGAINST a Big 10 team......and not have the fans with us AND be considered the bully. How far we have come. Welcome to the dance Northwestern, I hope you enjoyed your 1st round win, your ride ends Saturday afternoon.

Tmac5360
03-16-2017, 10:09 PM
The Zags will be ready. I think it's a unifying thing for them to be in hostile territory. Nigel will not have to off nights in a row. There is no way they score under 70 two games in a row.

Zags 79
NU. 64

DixieZag
03-16-2017, 10:12 PM
I said elsewhere that I think the huge NU crowd and national appeal will almost help our guys. It gets their focus off themselves, which is always their greatest danger - see BYU at home, and QF/SF of WCC tourney.

Zags 80
NU 68

sullyzag66
03-16-2017, 10:15 PM
FWIW, Charles Barkley said Zags "will beat them like they stole something."

MJ777
03-16-2017, 10:52 PM
I think we will see a team more comfortable with far less weight and expectations on their shoulder than we did today. They took a shot, recovered and missed more open looks than any Zag team than I can remember. Northwestern...who is a good story and seem to have a bunch of great kids, will hang around til half, into the 2nd half when the pure talent takes over.

Zags win 79-62.

Adding to this....as someone who has watched this program for almost 20 years, who would have known we could go into the tournament in SLC, AGAINST a Big 10 team......and not have the fans with us AND be considered the bully. How far we have come. Welcome to the dance Northwestern, I hope you enjoyed your 1st round win, your ride ends Saturday afternoon.

It is a match up between the Greatest "Mid Major" program vs. historically probably the worst Power 5 conference program. The Wildcats are a fine team and a great story this year but that won't be enough to get by the Zags.

Zags 76- 64

CDC84
03-16-2017, 11:08 PM
CBS is going to be hyping this matchup to no end.......

tummydoc
03-16-2017, 11:39 PM
Zags 84, Midwestern 64

Go Zags

gonzagafan62
03-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Zags 88
Northwestern 67

Zags11
03-17-2017, 01:48 AM
Zags 78
NW 63

Karno 19

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-17-2017, 01:56 AM
Sorry, Northwestern fans...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8-1dUZCveOo/UQv4Vf0rU9I/AAAAAAAAALs/-Vq56KmkOJc/s640/NO+SOUP.jpg

Zags win 72-64.

sheps001
03-17-2017, 02:10 AM
GU by 15 in either a slow down or fast paced game., They are my two teams. GU law grad living five minutes from NU. Seen em both. Take McIntosh out of the game. Play some D. Play inside out (NU can't stop this) and shoot some three. NU comes down to earth in the 4th. A bit gassed from altitude and in foul trouble (due to playing overly aggressive). NU doesn't have the horses to play with GU. Lindsey only one with an NBA type body to bang with our bigs.

Zag79
03-17-2017, 02:42 AM

Zags - 79
Northwestern - 64

I was going to say this same score LIZF, great minds think alike ha ha. The guys will be ready, I expect to see a much better performance on offense Saturday!

bartruff1
03-17-2017, 06:48 AM
FWIW, Charles Barkley said Zags "will beat them like they stole something."

Sir Charles is witty and his timing is perfect....and he knows his basketball...Defense and depth travel well, anything can happen but the most likely outcome is Gonzaga by 10 or more...

LongIslandZagFan
03-17-2017, 06:51 AM
I was going to say this same score LIZF, great minds think alike ha ha. The guys will be ready, I expect to see a much better performance on offense Saturday!

Have you looked at my track record on these??? :p

stevet75
03-17-2017, 07:05 AM
Zags 80 Northwestern 60. the only thing I know about Northwestern basketball is that there are a lot of their fans in SLC.

rennis
03-17-2017, 07:16 AM
I'm hoping for an outcome like the Iowa game two years ago but not expecting it. Still, we win.

Zags 80
Julia Louis Dreyfus's 72

77Zag
03-17-2017, 07:41 AM
Zags 75
Cats 60

Will be like an away game for the Zags -- lots of purple here in SLC

Go Zags - Beat the Cats!!

coolhandzag
03-17-2017, 07:47 AM
Zags were the black hat well.

Shooting woes recover.

Hubie Browns partner n tears.

over / under of Elaine Benes camera shots 12

Zags Roll by 12+

RenoZag
03-17-2017, 07:49 AM
GU 72
NW 68

Survive and advance. Zags looked like the weakest # 1 seed in the first round. Doubt that will change on Saturday. Expect them to win but by a narrow margin.

kitzbuel
03-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Zags - 78

The school 1800 miles southeast of Spokane - 67

zagdontzig
03-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Looking at the stat lines; is it just me or does Northwestern have no bench? I think their starters will have a hell of a time playing 40 minutes against our depth.

Radbooks
03-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Zags 81 - Wildcats 65

sheps001
03-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Its NU and do you really expect them to hang with us??

zagdontzig
03-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Its NU and do you really expect them to hang with us??

It's Wichita State and do you really expect them to hang with us??

Zagceo
03-17-2017, 09:15 AM

No...because we're deeper

Lost GB and had no replacement

This year we have multiple choices.

remember Southern game that year ...we won by 6...

former1dog
03-17-2017, 09:23 AM
I was able to see the Northwestern team live yesterday. I was impressed with their fundamentally sound play and they have some good shooters.

Comparing them to Gonzaga, though, they fall short in terms player ability at almost every position, including comparing Gonaga's bench to their starters (Collins, Melson, Tillie). If Gonzaga plays defense solidly as they did against SDSU and is just a little better on offense, this won't be a problem for our guys.

Strategically, if they emulate what SDSU did against Gonzaga defensively yesterday, its a big mistake because Gonzaga just needs to be a little better shooting team than they were yesterday to make them pay big time. If they play us more traditionally defensively then its the whole inside/out game on offense for Gonzaga and they don't have the bigs to compete with Karnowski/Williams/Collins.

82-67 for the Gonzaga Bulldogs!

BayAreaZagFan
03-17-2017, 09:39 AM
First-game jitters out of the way. Zags 80 - Nerds 62

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 09:41 AM
NW averages 71 PPG, and have only one player above 40% from 3, Taphorn, who plays 12 minutes per game.

They'll try to slow the pace down, so my prediction is:

Zags 72
NW 55

I'll settle for that, though they were drubbed by WI in their conference tournament.

What I'd really like to see is how we've come out firing on all cylinders during the first ten minutes of the first half. That would definitely let reality set in for NW and its fans.

Reborn
03-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Gonzaga 77
Northwestern 58

I hope to see a more confident Gonzaga team, one who looks like a one seed.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Gonzaga 77
Northwestern 58

I hope to see a more confident Gonzaga team, one who looks like a one seed.

Go Zags!!!

Amen to that.

vandalzag
03-17-2017, 10:26 AM

Not even a comparison. WSU was woefully under seeded that year.with 3-4 NBA players on their roster. Northwestern is nowhere near the talent level. Even if the Zags shoot poorly again they win. I see the Offense coming back big time.
Zags 85
NW 62

ZenZag
03-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Zags - 82
NW - 61

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Not even a comparison. WSU was woefully under seeded that year.with 3-4 NBA players on their roster. Northwestern is nowhere near the talent level. Even if the Zags shoot poorly again they win. I see the Offense coming back big time.
Zags 85
NW 62

Regarding WSU, they were dreadful from 3 in their previous game against Pitt, going something like 2-17. Crazy things happen when it's one-and-done. Just ask Georgetown, when Nova beat them in '85. We may not be the villain Georgetown was back then, but we're entering the conversation, albeit for different reasons.

Here's something that the "experts" never bring up, that I really wish they would: the success GU has had in recruiting and developing players over the past two decades. With the exception of last year, you'll never find the Zags mentioned in the top 40 recruiting classes. That is likely to change in the future, but I'm not expecting us to see us mentioned in the top 20 in recruiting.

If I'm a fan of a "Power 5" school, I'm asking why my school isn't developing our players as well as GU.

gonstu
03-17-2017, 10:39 AM
The zags have typically feasted on middlin' Power 6 conference teams in the first couple rounds of the tourney. That's no guarantee of a victory tomorrow, but I like our chances here vs. someone like SMU, Wich St., Midd Tenn, etc. HOWEVER, though they are a Power 6 school, they have a mid-major flavor due to their story this year - I hope zags jump on them early.

ZagzKrak
03-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Zags 86
NW 68

ProVeeZag
03-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Zags were the black hat well.

Shooting woes recover.

Hubie Browns partner n tears.

over / under of Elaine Benes camera shots 12

Zags Roll by 12+

Zags 76
NW 67

On Elaine Benes' camera shots, I'll take the "over". Once she starts crying, it's "must see" TV. (Those won't be tears of joy, either...)

Mr Vulture
03-17-2017, 11:41 AM
I'm going to stick with my initial gut feeling. We will not shoot as bad as we did yesterday, the worst outing we had all year, and we are a terrible matchup for Northwestern. We are going to send waves of guys to cover McIntosh which I think is going to really disrupt their offensive flow. On the defensive side, they simply don't matchup inside. Factors that weigh in their favor is that they are going to be the team the arena is pulling for and they are a smart team. In the end, I think we are just far to talented/athletic for them to handle over forty minutes.

Gonzaga - 83
Northwestern - 65

SWZag
03-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Gonzaga - America's Team from the Northwest: 76
Northwestern - Chicago's in the Northwest? 62

Chicago (Evanston) isn't in the northwest of anything.

rennis
03-17-2017, 12:24 PM
A lot of this will depend on which Northwestern team shows up. The one that barely lost to Notre Dame and Butler and won most of their first 10 games in the B10, or the one that lost twice to Illinois down the stretch and got shellacked by Wisconsin?

Goshzagit
03-17-2017, 12:47 PM
We are not the same team.

Guys like Perkins has lost their way...and confidence...down the stretch. Maybe its NWG taking over or a couple ill timed plays. Either way, it hurts us. In Dec, Jan, & beggining of February, opponents respected his shot or his pass. They are now sagging away, even off Josh to shade towards Nigel.

A domino effect.

Also, Karnowski simply passes and moves the ball less. Its as if thr staff said "if you're single teamed, shoot it no matter what..." i love this shot for our team, but he's awfully easy to defend & predict as of late.

Mathews always been streaky but even moreso now. How many times have you found yourself holding your breathe when he shoots?

Yeah, never did that with Pangos, Bell, even Perkins...

If this team was playing at the level it was in late Jan & parts of February, i'd predict a 20 to 25 pt win.

We used to be damn tough to defend, balanced, & our bigs could even pass! We were beating teams by 30, 40, 50 pts! Those same teams got eithin 10 come March play.

It was us not them. We havent regressed per se, as we continue to play STELLAR defense, but a few of our guys have lost their game.

What they do best they are no longer doing. They all want to have their mark, playing less as a team, & oddly tightening up in the latter part of the season.

Our team assists numbers are down, our scoring too, our offensive efficiency has dropped from 3rd to 13th.

Look as far as Karno's assists, or Perkins, etc.

We are kinda 3 vs 5 right now. We were once 6 vs 5.

This team is talented enough and smart enough to funda way to win tomorrow.

But the Sweet 16 will be a tall task, unless we return to form.

Lets hopefully get past NW & hope our guys return to fluidity, creativity, & team ball.

Otherwise we may lose this round.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Guys like Perkins has lost their way...and confidence...down the stretch. Maybe its NWG taking over or a couple ill timed plays. Either way, it hurts us. In Dec, Jan, & beggining of February, opponents respected his shot or his pass. They are now sagging away, even off Josh to shade towards Nigel.

A domino effect.

Also, Karnowski simply passes and moves the ball less. Its as if thr staff said "if you're single teamed, shoot it no matter what..." i love this shot for our team, but he's awfully easy to defend & predict as of late.

Mathews always been streaky but even moreso now. How many times have you found yourself holding your breathe when he shoots?

If this team was playing at the level it was in late Jan & parts of February, i'd predict a 20 to 25 pt win.

We used to be damn tough to defend, balanced, & our bigs could even pass! We were beating teams by 30, 40, 50 pts! Those same teams got eithin 10 come March play.

It was us not them. We havent regressed per se, as we continue to play STELLAR defense, but a few of our guys have lost their game.

What they do best they are no longer doing. They all want to have their mark, playing less as a team, & oddly tightening up in the latter part of the season.

Our team assists numbers are down, our scoring too, our offensive efficiency has dropped from 3rd to 13th.

Lets hopefully get past NW & hope our guys return to fluidity, creativity, & team ball.

Where's the sarcasm tag?

All Weather Fan
03-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Northwestern has never been here before.
Too bad they won't be around anymore.
Our Zags are coming out hot,
don't even give it a thought.
Remember, we're going to our first Final Four !
GU - 83
NU - 63

UCLAgraduate
03-17-2017, 02:50 PM
I have followed Gonzaga from afar this year + I also attended NW for grad school and the wife's family are ardent fans, subjecting me to countless hours of NW football and basketball. Even with another porous shooting effort, I don't see the Zags getting stopped here. I expect the big Pole to have a monster game. Hopefully UCLA and the Zags meet later! Assuming we get past Kentucky and you guys can take out a +Trier Arizona team that is peaking. Good luck.

Worthington
03-17-2017, 03:01 PM
If our guards show up, we will win by 10+. If they play scared like they did against South Dakota St., this will be a close game.

Zag79
03-17-2017, 03:20 PM
I'm not concerned with either of our track record on these, as long as the W comes through LIZF ha ha ! This team is well prepared, the most talented we've ever had... They won't shoot like that again, and Mark probably won't let them ha ha. Can't wait!

vandalzag
03-17-2017, 03:29 PM

A domino effect.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-C2sfZ_ZwhyA/VHAC4JUeT0I/AAAAAAAASmU/chSMuXdesv8/s1600/overreact.jpg

upan8th
03-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Wildcats give it everything they've got. Crowd behind them. Don't see GU turning the ship around in one game. Unless we go low to Shrem & Collins on every trip down, this is a one possession game. By the way, whatever happened to the Killian alley-oop? Worked great twice in one game--haven't seen it since. GU gets lucky as NW's final trey misses. GU 77-75.

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 04:13 PM
I too wonder about Tillie.

I was going to start a new thread but then figured that the last thing the place needed was another thread.

But, why isn't Tillie getting more PT? He looks healthy. He's springy, he's an instant spark plug, really holds up the defensive end and is a sneaky good shooter. He NEEDS more PT.

At the risk of infuriating all the right people, would occasionally going with a line-up of NWG, Mathews, Tillie, J3 and Karno-Collins be so bad? I'm not saying bench anyone, but we've got to reignite. I don't think it's panicking. I think it's pragmatic, evolve or die, type of stuff. We've always wanted a long athletic "wing" player and then one walks in the door, but b/c he's real tall, he never gets the chance, no matter how much his skill set seems to invite it.

sheps001
03-17-2017, 04:43 PM
I have followed Gonzaga from afar this year + I also attended NW for grad school and the wife's family are ardent fans, subjecting me to countless hours of NW football and basketball. Even with another porous shooting effort, I don't see the Zags getting stopped here. I expect the big Pole to have a monster game. Hopefully UCLA and the Zags meet later! Assuming we get past Kentucky and you guys can take out a +Trier Arizona team that is peaking. Good luck.

NU?

sheps001
03-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Looking at the stat lines; is it just me or does Northwestern have no bench? I think their starters will have a hell of a time playing 40 minutes against our depth.

Go to their games. They have a bench and its not bad but once you get by the starters they don't match up like we do (I.E., subing Collins for Shem, etc). This is the way we used to be. I've met all their team and they are the best guys you'd want to meet. Only Lindsey has an NBA type body and hes not over Mono, from what I see. We should win by 15 even in another slow down game. Their coach is one of the most intense people around and his father is outright crazy (and he is at most games). Their gym is pathetic. Living 5 minutes away and getting free parking helps. Go Zags. Final Four.

Zag4Hire
03-17-2017, 05:28 PM
This isn't the #1 seed of yesteryear and let's stop pretending. Not even 'if I say it enough times I will make it true' either. Seasoned guards and defensive tenacity. Don't let analysts who pretend to know this team lob half-baked assessments and get you in doubt. You watch this team and you know what they need to do.

That being said the real trend this season of not stomping out competition and letting them creep back into games is a bit concerning. Especially considering NW is really riding a high right now and the crowd will be on their side. Seen about 3 NW games this season and was happy they made tournament. Not meant to disparaging but they are a good not great team. Solid fundamentals (which nowadays is rare) and don't seem to get themselves into trouble. Yet not very explosive so if Zags can punch out a few 8-0 runs during the game, it could get out of hand.

DO: Keep getting those boards and get some fouls on Pardon. The more he rides the pine, the better. Vandy got the 2nd foul early on him in the 2nd half. I think Zags need to rack those up by taking it to the tin. The jumper wasn't working well yesterday==get it inside on the drive and dish to Shem and JWIII.
Make FTs!! Don't get hurt! Have some fun.

DON'T: Settle for jumpers. Get in there and be physical.

Zags are favored by -10.5 (tricky spread) and the O/U sits at 134.5. Let's also keep in mind NW was leaking oil yet you want to say all bets are off with all the excitement of being in the tourney. The doubters are comically claiming victory with the Zags gamve vs SDSU being close though the final score shows otherwise.

I think the Zags step on the gas only to let NW creep back into the game about 3/4 of the way through. The announcers mentioning the BYU game will go on repeat cycle. I think Zags keep it at 2 scores late and then get some FTs to make it a bit more open but just miss spread.

Give me NW & the points but the streak of unders of late goes by the wayside--give me the over.

Gonzaga 74
NW 67

willandi
03-17-2017, 05:45 PM
85_58 zags

GoZags
03-17-2017, 05:50 PM
You sound like you did when you gave up on the Zags in the first half of the Florida game

A domino effect.

MickMick
03-17-2017, 05:52 PM
I don't care if GU wins by one point on a last second shot.

Survive and advance.

maynard g krebs
03-17-2017, 11:56 PM
Zags 73-64.

ScrapironJim
03-18-2017, 02:20 AM
We bring the #1 D against the #60 O.

Zags win by 18.

siliconzag
03-18-2017, 02:22 AM
Have any of you ever tried to set up streaming from Italy? Let me tell you, the best thing is not to even try. However gametracker is not bad. This Gonzaga team is the best I remember since 1999 and should win comfortably, kind of like, ahem, Stanford should have won in Seattle's Key Arena in 1999. The crowd in SLC loves underdogs and they don't sit on their hands. I was there when we were cast in that role against another Wildcat team. Two overtimes, a shot that went in, came out and alas, thrilling almost, but not enough. Duke fans shouting, Lets Go Zags almost as vociferously as we did. Anyway, I digress...

My prediction is that there will be one less Wildcat team left. But beware Zag fans, pride goeth before a fall. Zag fans have become a bit too entitled and elitist from my perspective. Everywhere there are quicksand and traps in this tournament. The winners, I maintain, have maintained and will continue to maintain, play defense. You cannot count on staying hot. You cannot assume that one game we shoot badly, the next we will shoot well. Each event has the same odds of shooting as they are independent probabilities. Ergo, be careful about assuming that we will not shoot badly again. Just ask Creighton, they did it twice, against Villanova in the finals of the Big East and yesterday against Rhode Island. What do those two excellent teams share in common? DEFENSE!

If the Zags get out and guard the perimeter and forgo the prayer strategy of 3 point defense, if they challenge the passing lanes, in they switch on screens, and avoid fouling, they win by a dozen or so, no matter what their 3 point shooting is. If not, NW is capable of magic. They've already proven it. First they are there. Second, ask Vandy.

Good Luck Zags, and let's get back to being the "aw shucks, we're just glad to be here" kind of fans we used to be. The distinction between confidence and arrogance is one of degree.

Salatami Salt Lake City, Signing off from Tuscany,
Sili

jazzdelmar
03-18-2017, 04:45 AM
Have any of you ever tried to set up streaming from Italy? Let me tell you, the best thing is not to even try. However gametracker is not bad. This Gonzaga team is the best I remember since 1999 and should win comfortably, kind of like, ahem, Stanford should have won in Seattle's Key Arena in 1999. The crowd in SLC loves underdogs and they don't sit on their hands. I was there when we were cast in that role against another Wildcat team. Two overtimes, a shot that went in, came out and alas, thrilling almost, but not enough. Duke fans shouting, Lets Go Zags almost as vociferously as we did. Anyway, I digress...

My prediction is that there will be one less Wildcat team left. But beware Zag fans, pride goeth before a fall. Zag fans have become a bit too entitled and elitist from my perspective. Everywhere there are quicksand and traps in this tournament. The winners, I maintain, have maintained and will continue to maintain, play defense. You cannot count on staying hot. You cannot assume that one game we shoot badly, the next we will shoot well. Each event has the same odds of shooting as they are independent probabilities. Ergo, be careful about assuming that we will not shoot badly again. Just ask Creighton, they did it twice, against Villanova in the finals of the Big East and yesterday against Rhode Island. What do those two excellent teams share in common? DEFENSE!

If the Zags get out and guard the perimeter and forgo the prayer strategy of 3 point defense, if they challenge the passing lanes, in they switch on screens, and avoid fouling, they win by a dozen or so, no matter what their 3 point shooting is. If not, NW is capable of magic. They've already proven it. First they are there. Second, ask Vandy.

Good Luck Zags, and let's get back to being the "aw shucks, we're just glad to be here" kind of fans we used to be. The distinction between confidence and arrogance is one of degree.

Sili

Sili, happy feast of San Giuseppe. ������

gueastcoast
03-18-2017, 06:27 AM
Was monkeying with the SiriuxXM channels last night driving out of the city and couldn't find the NCAA tourney play-by-play...ended up on a sports talk station where the host was interviewing the Houston Rockets' GM (forgetting his name and too lazy to google it), who is an NU alum.

He wasn't making any predictions but said he had a friendly side-bet with Wiltj. I guess he has a reputation as a smack-talker (esp. when defending Harden and his team) and while he wouldn't be drawn out fully, he said he watched the SDSU game and said (I paraphrase) that he'd never seen a team more nervous than Gonzaga. He also said a few guys in the NU layup line for their game looked like they were going to vomit so he was certainly equal opportunity.

Hopefully we've now shaken off the rust, gotten over our jitters and fully embraced that Boone Avenue is now the equivalent of the Death Star. I'm in.

Zags 78
NU 61

Zagger
03-18-2017, 06:42 AM
I too wonder about Tillie.

I was going to start a new thread but then figured that the last thing the place needed was another thread.

But, why isn't Tillie getting more PT? He looks healthy. He's springy, he's an instant spark plug, really holds up the defensive end and is a sneaky good shooter. He NEEDS more PT.

At the risk of infuriating all the right people, would occasionally going with a line-up of NWG, Mathews, Tillie, J3 and Karno-Collins be so bad? I'm not saying bench anyone, but we've got to reignite. I don't think it's panicking. I think it's pragmatic, evolve or die, type of stuff. We've always wanted a long athletic "wing" player and then one walks in the door, but b/c he's real tall, he never gets the chance, no matter how much his skill set seems to invite it.

It's not Tilley .... It's that Karnowski has LOTS of experience in NCAA games and these are his last games as a Zag. Few is pretty tight with seniors. Collins is playing pretty well right now too. Tilley just likely will not see all that much time in the NCAAs. It's super that we have Tilley. When Tilley is in he's going to turn some heads. If the Zags can get some comfy leads early - then we'll see more of Tilley.

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 06:45 AM

Sili

Sigh ....

We miss you.

I'm sorry to hear that the streaming is spotty there. Hopefully the internet service is reliable enough for you to start checking in far more often. You have a ton of friends here that miss you. Good to hear from you, grazie.

Ciao

TravelinZag
03-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Zags 81
NWrn 60

Go Zags! Get COY Mark Few his 500th W, then FF & more!

Bogozags
03-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Zags 74-68

Where has our 3pt shooting gone?

Baldwinzag
03-18-2017, 07:43 AM

Sili!

I thought we lost you all time to the soft song of a Jaybird. Quite the impressive chirp it has become, easy on the ears…and eyes. Their hue reminds me of our original attire, '99 to be exact. I see you have migrated overseas and heart strings are still attached; once a fan always a fan.

Magic is in the air! Whether its our destiny or theirs, will be determined.

Defense trumps cold shooting.

If there's one thing this year's team can count on -- defense. Which allows us a puncher's chance no matter the opponent.

Good to hear from you. They will be back and stronger than ever, losing their most important player hurt, but they never stopped fighting…still finished Top-3 in the deepest conference, imo.

Go Zags! Go Jays!

spike_jr
03-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Talked with a bunch of Northwestern Alums last night over drinks. They were all friendly and absolutely thrilled to be here. Their defense is designed to pack the paint and give up the open 3. Control McIntosh and control the Wildcats. They will have a tough time matching up with us at nearly every position and it is doubtful that they will be able to outscore us. BUT, they are fundamentally sound and will have the crowd behind them. I think we shoot better than we did on Thursday, but it will not be a quantum leap. Can we get off to a hot start and take the crowd out?

Dogs - 72
Cats - 60

DixieZag
03-18-2017, 09:10 AM
It's not Tilley .... It's that Karnowski has LOTS of experience in NCAA games and these are his last games as a Zag. Few is pretty tight with seniors. Collins is playing pretty well right now too. Tilley just likely will not see all that much time in the NCAAs. It's super that we have Tilley. When Tilley is in he's going to turn some heads. If the Zags can get some comfy leads early - then we'll see more of Tilley.

I didn't say replace Shem at all, he's been a rock this year - though he didn't play that well last game. I hope he's not forcing his shot when double teamed, remember his real gift is moving the ball. And Collins was our best player last game, at least in the first half.

I'm talking about giving him time playing alongside those guys. Him being a frosh shouldn't factor into time. Only play. Sentimentality/loyalty are commendable, but secondary to Final Fours. Has to be or we'll always limit our chances. If you're arguing he's not brining as much as the others, ok - if true. But, if he's flying all over the place, blocking shots, rebounding, hitting shots (including 3s), we have to play him to maximize our play. The point is to win the game, not ensure we reward terms of service.

I

zag67
03-18-2017, 10:22 AM
GU - 86
NW -67

Stache
03-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Zags 74
Non-Zags. 63