PDA

View Full Version : Bring On Northwestern!!!!!!

demian
03-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Bring On Northwestern!!!!!!

Hoopaholic
03-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Goss on McIntosh.

Jw3 on pardon be epic battle

Mathew on Lindsey

Zagdawg
03-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Going to be a good game --- we won't have the biggest crowd in the arena--but we will have the Zags and that's all we need.

demian
03-16-2017, 02:45 PM
Yeah it will be a good game for sure, with there crowd in the arena and a team in NW who will be playing very loose and relaxed and confident I would think. I only saw the last two minutes of the NW vs Vandy game but I dvr it and will watch when I get home so I can take a look at these matchups you mentioned hoopaholic (I dvr our game to and planned to watch it when I get home from work cuz I didn't see it live but based on everyones reactions here it seems the GU vs SDSU game is better to just not watch).

Akzag
03-16-2017, 02:55 PM
At least we know that there will be plenty of national interest in our game ...

Go Zags

RenoZag
03-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Feels a little like deja vu all over again. . .

Zags are used to being the hunted by now, so I guess they have that going for them.

"Cinderella Wildcats Seek Ride to Sweet 16 Ball" and all that @#$!!.

ZionZag
03-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Feels a little like deja vu all over again. . .

Zags are used to being the hunted by now, so I guess they have that going for them.

"Cinderella Wildcats Seek Ride to Sweet 16 Ball" and all that @#$!!.

NOT, NOT, NOT.........I was there this afternoon and at the WSU game a few years age and there is NO deja vu at all....our defense is stifling and our team back then was not stifling on defense.....NOPE....NO FRENCH SMELL EVEN CLOSE HERE! We are the hunted and I like it and I'm proud of it.

gonzagafan62
03-16-2017, 07:23 PM
NOT, NOT, NOT.........I was there this afternoon and at the WSU game a few years age and there is NO deja vu at all....our defense is stifling and our team back then was not stifling on defense.....NOPE....NO FRENCH SMELL EVEN CLOSE HERE! We are the hunted and I like it and I'm proud of it.

Exactly. I'm not feeling any De Ja Vu. Northwestern is a really good team..... but we were apologetic in 2013.

We don't give a damn this time. We are taking what is rightfully ours

bigblahla
03-16-2017, 07:57 PM
They don't have the King in the Middle...against NW I think he will be the BEAST in the MIDDLE....his breakout game on the national stage....this time it's King Karno that wins as he stomps out the dreams of the Mid-landers in front of millions.....now that's a show to watch.. :clap::cheers::clap:

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagceo
03-16-2017, 08:01 PM

wish Zags had more support with fan base in SLC

sheps001
03-16-2017, 08:19 PM
Been waiting for this one for a whole long time. GU law grad living 5 minutes from NU. I go to the football and BB games. The only way NU can win is if they hang in with GU and hope we self destruct at the end and this is not happening. NU has only one man with an NBA type body (Lindsey and he is not 100%).Also look for NU to be a bit gassed due to the altitude and definitely in foul trouble in the 4th quarter. GU by 15-20 and you heard it here first.

gonzagafan62
03-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Been waiting for this one for a whole long time. GU law grad living 5 minutes from NU. I go to the football and BB games. The only way NU can win is if they hang in with GU and hope we self destruct at the end and this is not happening. NU has only one man with an NBA type body (Lindsey and he is not 100%).Also look for NU to be a bit gassed due to the altitude and definitely in foul trouble in the 4th quarter. GU by 15-20 and you heard it here first.
Hope you are right

Goshzagit
03-16-2017, 08:37 PM
Expect to see an elite level double team vs Karno & Co.

Northwestern beat the Badgers by doing a masterful job on big man Ethan Happ, a top candidate for Big Ten Player of the Year. By double-teaming him every time he touched the ball, the Wildcats limited Happ to nine points on 3-for-8 shooting with four turnovers.

"That's the best 'double' I've seen all year in the post," ESPN/ABC analyst Dan Dakich told the Tribune on Monday. "Everybody tries to double, but that was consistently the best. They pinned him in tough and eliminated one of the best post scorers in the Big Ten."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-northwestern-scottie-lindsey-spt-0214-20170213-story,amp.html

Hoopaholic
03-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Expect to see an elite level double team vs Karno & Co.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-northwestern-scottie-lindsey-spt-0214-20170213-story,amp.html

So what happened on their 28 point loss to Wisconsin just before the tournament.......

Goshzagit
03-16-2017, 08:52 PM
So what happened on their 28 point loss to Wisconsin just before the tournament.......

Their bigs learned to pass out of the double. Hit open shooters & slashers.

Hope Karno watches film & takes notes...too many forceful post moves lately.

We are unstoppable when we move the ball.

bartruff1
03-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Early line has Zags by 10.

ZagaZags
03-16-2017, 10:35 PM
Could feel like a road game on Saturday. Everyone loves Cinderella.

Zags11
03-17-2017, 12:33 AM
Could feel like a road game on Saturday. Everyone loves Cinderella.

Agree. If zags want to be that upper echelon, zags need to know its OK to be the big bad wolf.

Zagceo
03-17-2017, 07:25 AM
http://www.insidenu.com/2017/3/17/14954890/northwestern-gonzaga-mens-basketball-ncaa-tournament-preview-analysis-mark-few

Reborn
03-17-2017, 08:29 AM
It's nice to wake up in the morning the day after a game that was not our best. It's a chance for a fresh start. Northwestern!

First of all Northwestern is a good team. They're not great but they're good. They're young. I think they only have one senior who plays, and he's really not one of their best players. This, imo is a team who will be much much better next year. This team this year is NOT equal to Wichita State in '13. Not close. They have good wins but also have bad losses by more than 20 points. They seem to have a difficult time against teams who are big in the post. Teams like Gonzaga (Purdue and Wisconsin). Their bigs are sturdy but not tall. Tallest post player is 6'8" tall. He's a freshman. They have a fantastic guard who's fun to watch. Reminds me of Boatwright at Santa Clara. They got their victory in the NCAA Tournament, and I'm really happy for them, but it's time for them to go home and get ready for a better tournament next year. I'm really happy for them and their coach. He seems like he's going to be a really good coach. But it's just unfortunate that they play GU next.

Gonzaga will certainly play better tomorrow. They played much much better in the 2nd half yesterday. I believe that Williams-Goss will really bring it tomorrow and have a great game. This is his first NCAA Tournament and I'm sure he was really nervous yesterday. Josh Perkins appears to have found his shooting eye. He got 3 three's yesterday, and the same for Jordon Mathews. That's good news. Sure, it took a half to find it, but better late than never. The second half was the best Josh played in awhile, in my opinion. Jordan Mathews is playing his best ball of the year, imo. I really like how he's finally getting aggressive on offense. I feel Northwestern will have trouble with our post players, and their height. They will have trouble with the quickness and leaping ability of J Williams III. I hope our guards shoot much better tomorrow. Zans should win by double figures.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Bornie, do you think the early start time was an impediment? The game started at 11AM Pacific, and my body hasn't caught up yet to DST. Of course, SDSU came out with a head of steam, too.

Reborn
03-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Bornie, do you think the early start time was an impediment? The game started at 11AM Pacific, and my body hasn't caught up yet to DST. Of course, SDSU came out with a head of steam, too.

funny that you should ask, TZF because I was just thinking about that very thing. Yes! I believe playing early does make a difference, but I don't believe it was what really caused our shooting woes. We'll be playing at 2 pm Pacific Time tomorrow and I do think that that will help. South Dakota threw an unfamiliar defense at our Zags, and it caught us off guard. But as the score indicates, the Zags adjusted in the second half and did quite well, scoring 40 second half points. I'd say nerves were a factor, and shooting in an NBA arena. that may have been a pretty big factor. We will be much better tomorrow, imo.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
03-17-2017, 08:57 AM
funny that you should ask, TZF because I was just thinking about that very thing. Yes! I believe playing early does make a difference, but I don't believe it was what really caused our shooting woes. We'll be playing at 2 pm Pacific Time tomorrow and I do think that that will help. South Dakota threw an unfamiliar defense at our Zags, and it caught us off guard. But as the score indicates, the Zags adjusted in the second half and did quite well, scoring 40 second half points. I'd say nerves were a factor, and shooting in an NBA arena. that may have been a pretty big factor. We will be much better tomorrow, imo.

Go Zags!!!

Great point on arena size. We simply don't play many games during the season in large, NBA-style arenas. Let's get through this, and we'll be ready to roll in the Sweet Sixteen. It was really good to see JP and JM hit a few threes during the second half. The quizzical look from Josh after missing his fifth straight free throw was a WTF moment.

Our shooting woes gave the pundits enough material, i.e. "they're going to have to shoot better than that to make it to the Final Four." No kidding.

DixieZag
03-17-2017, 08:57 AM

This.

Maybe getting ahead of himself a bit and forgotten what makes him special, the ball movement. Going to the dribble triple-teamed was ugly yesterday. Few needs a quick hook if he sees that. Collins has been unstoppable.

Goshzagit
03-17-2017, 02:24 PM
This.

Maybe getting ahead of himself a bit and forgotten what makes him special, the ball movement. Going to the dribble triple-teamed was ugly yesterday. Few needs a quick hook if he sees that. Collins has been unstoppable.

and this.

Collins has been a nightmare for opposing teams lately, around the rim as well.

He's incredibly quick with his moves in and around the hoop.

Karnowski really bogging it down lately but waiting too long and still not passing, even when doubled.

I'm confident and hopeful Karno realizes he's special because of his passing ability, otherwise he's just a very large post player with nice touch -- which is a luxury, but can be defended unless he keeps them off balance and guessing. Not to mention getting others involved.

sittingon50
03-17-2017, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=Goshzagit;1301652]

Karnowski really bogging it down lately but waiting too long and still not passing, even when doubled.

By lately, you mean the last game?

Zagceo
03-18-2017, 10:15 AM
Isaiah Brown for NU Gatorade player of the year from Lakeside ave 33 pts

sylean
03-18-2017, 11:39 AM
re: fan support.....we bring it fine to Las Vegas but then it seems the fan base wasted its wad, so to speak....in the future we'll have to plan well advance that we need to save some energy, time, and money to go to the Ncaa sites....time is our biggest problem...

Zagger
03-18-2017, 11:43 AM
We've got the size advantage ..... with a dose of NCAA experience to boot!
Let's do this!
http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BeatNW.png

bballbeachbum
03-18-2017, 01:13 PM

I hear you except when teams decide to not double the post, then I love it when Karno JWIII Zach attack from there. haven't seen Northwestern play but from reading others' analysis could be a sweet matchup with Karno/whoever Zag in the post facing the double and their read/react decisions to spark the O with kick outs. maybe see some Zag hi-low to confuse double and pass direct to rim? idk, but looking forward to seeing what Collins tries and how the Zags respond, and shooters shooting more in rhythm from passing than statically looking at some packed D; sounds like Zags might be dared to shoot some 3s again but in a different way, hope they have great shot selection and once they get Northwestern scrambling on D that they drive it too and make them pay for the double