PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-SDSU

Section 116
03-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Hudson and Santangelo: Zags win an NCAA game for the ninth straight year, after trailing for most of the first half the Zags hold on for a 66-46 victory.

Collins: It was an amazing experience, I'm glad my first NCAA game was a win. It was my job to bring it in the first half. I thought defense was great, offense was bad, they were really packing it in. Coach told us at halftime to keep shooting, he said those are shots that usually go down for us. We have a lot of guys who can score the ball on this team.

Hudson and Santangelo: It didn't feel good in the first half, a lot of credit to SDSU for their defense. The thing that was consistent all through was the defense. Rebounding picked up in the second half. The shooting was not good, however, from anywhere. Karnowski, Perkins, Mathews and Collins did finish in double. JW3 with 14 rebounds. GU shot 39.7% from the field, the second worst of the season, lowest 39.4% vs. San Diego St. Zags did a good job of guarding the shooting line as SDSU averaged 78 PPG and the Zags held them to 46.

Michaelson: SDSU gave us fits in the first half. We only lost Daum once in the first half. They did a really great job of defense in the first half. What a tremendous defensive effort. I told JW3 if you can keep Daum from scoring we don't need you to score. One of the nations leading scorers had two threes and only one free throw. They did a tremendous job on Karnowski with some things we haven't seen this year but Zach has a different game and provided a lot for us. They played essentially 5 guards a lot of the time and Collins had to guard essentially a lot of the time. We are used to the balls now and the backboards and you know we can shoot better than that. SDSU is a team that lives by the three and at the free throw line and we took both of them away. JW3 held Daum to 1-2 from the free throw line and 2-4 from three, that is just a tremendous job on one of the best scorers in the nation. You will see a better game from NWG next time. He had a tough shooting night, only 4-13 from the floor but he did pull down 7 rebounds.

Hudson: Karnowski didn't score a lot early but late in the game the Zags were really able to get to him and he put up a quick 6 points. GU pulled down 50 rebounds in the game. There are two schools with nine wins in a row in opening round games in the NCAA's (Hudson didn't mention the other) and he noted you can't win two in a row until you win one and for those folks who say GU can't win in the NCAA's as I said there are only 2 who have won 9. Only 19 minutes for Karnowski today, but you needed a spark and that is what makes this team so tough, when you can bring a guy like Collins in who scored 9 of his points in the first half when the Zags were having a tough time scoring. Daum was the leading free throw shooter in attempts in the NCAA this year with 283 attempts and he only had two in the game, none until 5 minutes to go, a tribute again to JW3. Santnagelo noted this is a big three point shooting team and they finished only 5-20, and he said I can only think of one that was not contested. That's all I got ( he says with a sigh of relief)!

ZagMan in Philly
03-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Good stuff 116 as always. First game jitters and still won by 20, credit to our reliable D and Zach.

Zag_Dad
03-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Good stuff 116 as always. First game jitters and still won by 20, credit to our reliable D and Zach.

So true! Won by twenty but still made me anxious! Credit to the jackrabbits. I love the game planning for Daum ... unlikely our offense will sputter like they did today for a second consecutive game. I expect our D to continue to show up!

FIVE MORE TO GO

MontanaCoyote
03-16-2017, 02:18 PM

Took a little time to shake the rust off. Boy's will be primed and pumped on Saturday. Nigel bounces back Big. Zag's play their game.

RenoZag
03-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Took a little time to shake the rust off. Boy's will be primed and pumped on Saturday. Nigel bounces back Big. Zag's play their game.

They better be. They will have the crowd against them and the zebras will be swayed by them. Zags will need one of their best efforts to put down the Wildcats.

IslandZag
03-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the recap, Section 116!

"...GU shot 39.7% from the field, the second worst of the season, lowest 39.4% vs. San Diego St...."

Good thing there aren't any other teams in the field that are abbreviated SDSU!