PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - South Dakota State - Round of 64 - 3. 16 .2017

RenoZag
03-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Zags win by 20, 66 - 46

Official Box Score: http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/gonmbb34.html

Who gets your vote ?

( I'm at work; could only follow the box score. If there's someone who deserves to be on the list, post your thoughts )

Happy the Zags did not make any history today. . .following the score in the first half was a bit unsettling.

Have a good rest of your day

seacatfan
03-16-2017, 12:12 PM
He didn't score much today, but JWIII's energy to start the 2nd half got things rolling. 14 rebounds 2 or 3 blocks and solid D on Daum that made him a nonfactor for the most part. He got my vote. Several others in the running as well.

Hoopaholic
03-16-2017, 12:13 PM
He didn't score much today, but JWIII's energy to start the 2nd half got things rolling. 14 rebounds 2 or 3 blocks and solid D on Daum that made him a nonfactor for the most part. He got my vote. Several others in the running as well.

My feelings as well

Mathews and Collins in discussion

Pallet
Definitely Williams, controlled the defensive end of the court.

ZagNative
I'm really glad Jordan had a great game, but JWIII gets my vote for his energy and generally superb performance on rebounding and defense.

gu03alum
03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
Williams, he held Daum way below average when the game counted. Collins and Matthews would be a great choice here too.

jpn17
03-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Basically the same as everyone else, Williams gets the nod for his great play at both ends of the court, with Collins and Mathews also performing well.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-16-2017, 12:16 PM
JWIII was Dennis Rodman with better grooming habits in this game.

seacatfan
03-16-2017, 12:19 PM
JWIII was Dennis Rodman with better grooming habits in this game.

Ha ha. Less tattoos and piercings, too.

Birddog
Williams all the way. He had 6 pts, 14 RBs, and 2 blocks

Bocco
The game was won by the Zag defense and J3 solid defense was at the heart a great team defensive effort. Great games from Mathews and Collins.

zagfan24
03-16-2017, 12:27 PM
If JWIII had not defended so well, Zags likely down at half and in far more trouble in the second. His rebounding in the second half was top notch as well.

Collins with an honorable mention as he looked less rattled than many of the Zags' upperclassmen. Remarkable poise for a freshman.

CdAZagFan
03-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Collins... I thought while the rest of the team showed some lethargy, Collins played well on both offense and defense and really made a difference... Williams was a close 2nd with his great defense and rebounding.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2017, 12:38 PM
My feelings as well

Mathews and Collins in discussion

Ya think J3's happy he left Missouri? lol

Zach played really well in the first half, kept things close while everyone else was getting rid of the rust.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2017, 12:39 PM
The game was won by the Zag defense and J3 solid defense was at the heart a great team defensive effort. Great games from Mathews and Collins.

Zach's heading towards the lottery...dammit! lol

He played a very good game, considering it was his first post season game.

DixieZag
03-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Williams for RBs and the fact that I believe we're a one seed FF contender whenever I see him flying 2 feet above the rim.

Birddog
03-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Anybody that didn't vote for Williams has to be the most mentally weak poster we've ever had on the board. You should just hit the showers and stay there with Few. Pathetic!

Bocco
03-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Anybody that didn't vote for Williams has to be the most mentally weak poster we've ever had on the board. You should just hit the showers and stay there with few. Pathetic!

:000tens:

jazzdelmar
03-16-2017, 12:46 PM
No butterflies for Collins. Played with energy when rest of the team was sleepwalking. Then they caught up. Say goodbye to Zach.

Hoopaholic
03-16-2017, 12:51 PM
No butterflies for Collins. Played with energy when rest of the team was sleepwalking. Then they caught up. Say goodbye to Zach.

I just don't see it ( lotto pick this year as you seem to keep insinuating...but transparency sake I have not watched NBA game since sonic era)

21 minutes 3-5. With 6 rebounds 2 turnovers and several missed defensive assignments

One more year and possible high pick?

gu03alum
03-16-2017, 12:51 PM

I thought NWG would be that guy. I hope he brings it on Saturday.

Mantua
03-16-2017, 12:52 PM
JWIII! His effort and determination made a huge difference when things didn't seem to be going our way. Collins, the same. Three point shooting from Matthews was key.

BurgessEraZag
03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Defense and rebounding wins games.

Zagger
03-16-2017, 01:34 PM
D was good but points add up. The Zags won't go far without some O too. My vote went for Jordan. He looked more determined and less tentative on O than others. All in all 66-46 is good. Should have been 86-46. Frankly, I'm worried. The team wasn't having much fun. Fun = loose & daring. The Zags have the skills, the plans, the D .... now they just need to figure out how to get fun in the mix (IMHO).

Go Zags!

bartruff1
03-16-2017, 01:50 PM
Certainly Jordan and JW played like the experienced upper class men that they are and as I expected them to play....

but I am going with the kid....

he was just great in his first NCAA Tourney game...on both offense and defense , not only did he hustle and block shots, I think he got into their heads and changed the game...Collins...

the others looked kind of nervous or at least played tight...

jazzdelmar
03-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Certainly Jordan and JW played like the experienced upper class men that they are and as I expected them to play....

but I am going with the kid....

he was just great in his first NCAA Tourney game...on both offense and defense , not only did he hustle and block shots, I think he got into their head and changed the game...Collins...

the others looked kind of nervous or at least played tight...

With you, Bart. All about play not stats.

jazzdelmar
03-16-2017, 01:56 PM
I just don't see it ( lotto pick this year as you seem to keep insinuating...but transparency sake I have not watched NBA game since sonic era)

21 minutes 3-5. With 6 rebounds 2 turnovers and several missed defensive assignments

One more year and possible high pick?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile

MontanaCoyote
03-16-2017, 01:56 PM
First time all year NWG hasn't at least been on the list? Ace In The Whole next game. Expect him to tear it up. You Think?

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Silent assassin Jordan Mathews.

ZagsGoZags
03-17-2017, 12:24 AM
I had to go with Mathews,
when every single player, w possible exception of Collins, was not making shots near their average, Mathews kept to his average and stayed cool. He took, and hit, shots when others didn't want the ball anymore they had missed so many. Well, that's an exaggeration, but everyone seemed to not be hitting, and he did at the right times, except at the end when the game was wrapped.

TravelinZag
03-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Went for Mathews, but was most impressed with how several players played the role that was needed. Williams' boards and defense; Collins scoring, RBs and blocks; NGW off-shooting night, but added assists and boards; Karno's buckets occurred when most needed, and low RBs offset by multiple intimidations which altered or prevented shots, etc. Great team effort in the second half.

Go Zags! Get 500th win for COY Mark Few, then Final Four and more!

former1dog
03-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Williams was dominant in the 2nd half and controlled the game via defense and rebounding. It was remarkable to see that he was able to control the game while not really scoring.

Collins was 2nd for me.