PDA

View Full Version : All the Chicken Littles....

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Settle down, we won by 20 and didn't shoot well at all.

The only people who choked is you fair-weather fans who can't just sit back and realize that there is occasionally adversity in sports.

Win and move on.

gonzagafan62
03-16-2017, 12:03 PM
+1.

Go damn zags!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Defense travels.

CdAZagFan
03-16-2017, 12:06 PM
+1

TexasZag
Defense travels.

Thank God for that!

Sarenyon
Absolutely. If it continues I will be blocking certain individuals so I don't have to see their negativity in the Game Threads on Saturday.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2017, 12:07 PM

The only people who choked is you fair-weather fans who can't just sit back and realize that there is occasionally adversity in sports.

Win and move on.

The only thing worse than Fairweather fans are self-righteous "I'm a better fan than you" fans.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-16-2017, 12:07 PM
I think the thing that really got to me today was that we have people on this board willing to personally attack our players because they dare to *gasp* have a rough game.

I guess I should be used to it but nope. Still not.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-16-2017, 12:08 PM
The only thing worse than Fairweather fans are self-righteous "I'm a better fan than you" fans.

Pretty much anyone who can sit back and discuss the game without personally attacking the players is a better fan than you.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2017, 12:08 PM
I think the thing that really got to me today was that we have people on this board willing to personally attack our players because they dare to *gasp* have a rough game.

Ignore button, it's your friend

krozman
03-16-2017, 12:09 PM
A person can be critical of terrible shooting and not be a bad fan. Take your holier than thou attitude somewhere else.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-16-2017, 12:10 PM
A person can be critical of terrible shooting and not be a bad fan. Take your holier than thou attitude somewhere else.

I don't think anyone has a problem with people being critical of a player shooting the ball poorly.

I have a problem with people making statements that somehow a player isn't intelligent or lacks mental aptitude.

MontanaCoyote
03-16-2017, 12:11 PM

Win and move on.

I just want them to win sooooooo bad! Been thru thick and thin, no chicken little. Also, Goss off today. Repeat doubtful.
Jacks were rust removers for us. Much better on Sat! Go Zag's!

gu03alum
Pointing out that a player hasn't played well over the last five games is not a personal attack. We all want the Zags to play well. Are we only allowed to discuss good things that are happening? What is the point of a game thread if we can't talk about what is and isn't working?

thespywhozaggedme
Pretty much anyone who can sit back and discuss the game without personally attacking the players is a better fan than you.

So just to be clear, it's wrong to criticize players, but it's OK to criticize message for posters, correct? I just want to know the ground rules. Thanks PS your self righteousness is really overwhelming. We just won by 20 points, which I predicted on the third page of the game thread, by the way but instead of enjoying the win you have to start a thread putting down other posters. Really, really smug, condescending, elitist and self-righteous of you.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
I don't think anyone has a problem with people being critical of a player shooting the ball poorly.

I have a problem with people making statements that somehow a player isn't intelligent or lacks mental aptitude.

Why is it wrong to say that a player is mentally weak, if he's mentally weak? I didn't say that he is a horrible human being, or a child molester, or racist. It's not an attack on his character or personality but his mental aptitude on the basketball court, which is what we discuss on a fansite message board, things that occur on the court during the game. You are very thin skinned.

maynard g krebs
03-16-2017, 12:14 PM
The kids came out really tight; pressure of being a 1 seed, imo combined w/ being hesitant to shoot the open 3's because they were told to pound it inside. I didn't read the game thread but can imagine who said what. Beest to ignore the bashers who have nothing better to do. Won by 20; wasn't the spread 22?

Seems to me that the refs let these games get really rough which limits scoring and keeps games close for tv drama. SD gave up well over 80 to the better teams they faced in the reg season.

First game nerves should be over now, or at least we can hope. Second half 40-24.

MDABE80
03-16-2017, 12:15 PM

I missed that mental aptitude part.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Why is it wrong to say that a player is mentally weak, if he's mentally weak? I didn't say that he is a horrible human being, or a child molester, or racist. It's not an attack on his character or personality but his mental aptitude on the basketball court, which is what we discuss on a fansite message board, things that occur on the court during the game. You are very thin skinned.

Because it's a personal attack on the player. It's a lot different than discussing his poor shooting or poor play.

How did it go? "Perkins has to be the most mentally weak play we have ever had on our team"

That's a BS comment.

MileHighZag
03-16-2017, 12:17 PM
It's pretty obvious Perkins is not his usual self. It's not a personal attack.

Hoopaholic
03-16-2017, 12:18 PM

I disagree with your opinion

He has stayed mentally engaged on defense, rebounding and taking care of the ball

His last two shots are in defiance of your view as a mentally fragile person would not have taken let alone drain them

You seem to equate poor shooting slump with mental weakness. We can agree to disagree

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2017, 12:20 PM
Because it's a personal attack on the player. It's a lot different than discussing his poor shooting or poor play.

How did it go? "Perkins has to be the most mentally weak play we have ever had on our team"

That's a BS comment.

Discussing a players mental strength, or lack thereof on the court is not a personal attack on him as a human being it's discussing him as a basketball player the two are completely separate entities. I've never discussed Josh in the classroom or off of the court because I don't watch any of that. I only discuss what I see during a basketball game in the game threads and Josh was very mentally weak the second half of the season and many many posters have pointed that out. It is not a personal attack against him as a person but has a basketball player, again, the two are mutually exclusive.

thespywhozaggedme
03-16-2017, 12:20 PM

He has stayed mentally engaged on defense, rebounding and taking care of the ball

His last two shots are in defiance of your view as a mentally fragile person would not have taken let alone drain them

You seem to equate poor shooting slump with mental weakness. We can agree to disagree

Fair enough

maynard g krebs
03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Discussing a players mental strength, or lack thereof on the court is not a personal attack on him as a human being it's discussing him as a basketball player the two are completely separate entities. I've never discussed Josh in the classroom or off of the court because I don't watch any of that. I only discuss what I see during a basketball game in the game threads and Josh was very mentally weak the second half of the season and many many posters have pointed that out. It is not a personal attack against him as a person but has a basketball player, again, the two are mutually exclusive.

You really should go away. Thanks.

zaguarxj
03-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Defense travels.

Handy for those times when your offense is lost in the luggage.

Saxon_zag
03-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Don't worry for every negative comment there's still the superfans chiming in that get mad @ anyone even suggesting Josh Perkins could be in a shooting slump or that we always play tight in tourney games..

scott257
03-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Trying hard to remember that NWG has never played in this tournament. Mathews only once with Cal. The seasoned vets here are Shem, Perkins, and Melson. Good to get this out of the way and move on.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Trying hard to remember that NWG has never played in this tournament. Mathews only once with Cal. The seasoned vets here are Shem, Perkins, and Melson. Good to get this out of the way and move on.

Williams hasn't either.

zagfan24
03-16-2017, 12:43 PM
It is not a personal attack against him as a person but has a basketball player, again, the two are mutually exclusive.

I disagree with you on this front. Athletes are people. That distinction is not as binary as you seem to be making it. Mental strength is a personal quality of a basketball player, not a basketball quality of a person. In my opinion.

TexasZagFan
03-16-2017, 12:49 PM
I disagree with you on this front. Athletes are people. That distinction is not as binary as you seem to be making it. Mental strength is a personal quality of a basketball player, not a basketball quality of a person. In my opinion.

I quit the game thread on page 9...my son could see I was getting agitated, and it wasn't because I was on my third beer.

We have rolled with an 8 man rotation all year, and it was obvious that Killian's not at 100% yet. Anyone who's thinking that the rotation should be changed now is not being realistic. Josh hit a couple of 3's in the second half, Jordan hit a couple, and Silas clanged a couple off the back rim.

Regardless, our defense was superb, SDSU showed some hops on offense. Not surprisingly, they averaged 77 ppg.

Birddog
03-16-2017, 01:05 PM
I quit the game thread on page 9...my son could see I was getting agitated, and it wasn't because I was on my third beer.

We have rolled with an 8 man rotation all year, and it was obvious that Killian's not at 100% yet. Anyone who's thinking that the rotation should be changed now is not being realistic. Josh hit a couple of 3's in the second half, Jordan hit a couple, and Silas clanged a couple off the back rim.

Regardless, our defense was superb, SDSU showed some hops on offense. Not surprisingly, they averaged 77 ppg.

You must be one of the most mentally weak posters we have ever had cheering on our team. To the showers with ya!

Bing
03-16-2017, 01:13 PM
You really should go away. Thanks.

Bingo

Birddog
03-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Bingo

Easy for you to say

primal23
03-16-2017, 01:18 PM
All I have to say is, if we are all the same this would be a dull world. People disagree have different opinions and in the heat of the moment say, or type, things they might not feel as strongly about later. Maybe they do, but saying someone should go away because you don't like what they say is asinine. There is an ignore for a reason. Or just don't read what they say, don't be a bully and say my way or the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZagsGoZags
03-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Some posters remind of middle school girl cliques. If I don't like what you're saying,
I will shun you.
Shun? I will put my hands over my ears. What is this the ultimate punishment?
Are these grown people constantly threatening each other with the 'ignore' button?

1 - don't respond
2 - respond by disagreeing, give the reasons, and move on

U Zig, I Zag
03-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Easy for you to say

:roll:

U Zig, I Zag
03-16-2017, 01:27 PM
Some posters remind of middle school girl cliques. If I don't like what you're saying,
I will shun you.
Shun? I will put my hands over my ears. What is this the ultimate punishment?
Are these grown people constantly threatening each other with the 'ignore' button?

1 - don't respond
2 - respond by disagreeing, give the reasons, and move on

The GUBoards Snapchat group is throwing shade like cray.

RenoZag
03-16-2017, 02:00 PM
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x375/RenoZag/CircularFiringSquad_zpsbfaffd55.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/RenoZag/media/CircularFiringSquad_zpsbfaffd55.jpg.html)

jagwalkley
03-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Amen to that.We are all die-hard fans,some just see that we play where we have no chance to play in close games,where you learn lots more period.

MontanaCoyote
03-16-2017, 02:22 PM
You must be one of the most mentally weak posters we have ever had cheering on our team. To the showers with ya!

Please, let's not get a OK v TX thing going here. It's a lose-lose!

TexasZagFan
03-16-2017, 02:55 PM
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x375/RenoZag/CircularFiringSquad_zpsbfaffd55.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/RenoZag/media/CircularFiringSquad_zpsbfaffd55.jpg.html)

Learned that one in ROTC? lol

TexasZagFan
03-16-2017, 02:59 PM

So what's your point? You aren't exactly breaking new ground here, BD! Twas brillig, indeed. And the slithy toves were seen at the bottom of my Leinenkugel at the end of the first half.

Accordingly, with the score tied, I switched to Shiner Bock, and the outcome was never in doubt.

TheZagPhish
03-16-2017, 03:00 PM
I thought this was a thread about crispy chicken sliders or something. Shoot.

ProVeeZag
03-16-2017, 03:15 PM
After reading this thread, I am reminded of why I left this Board for a 3-year stretch. The Zags played a first half from hell and deserve to be called out for it.

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-16-2017, 03:36 PM
Hate to read zag on zag crime. Let's not forget a lot of our key players have little or no March Madness experience. I firmly believe Saturday will be a better offensive performance and an equally valiant defensive effort

MEZAG
03-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Don't look now but Mt. St. Mary's is tied with Nova at the half. I wonder if Nova needs to fire their coach and bench all the mental midgets that are starting for them?

scott257
03-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Williams hasn't either.

You are right. It really isn't like some of the more seasoned teams we have had in the past. I do think they just needed some time to get past the jitters (I hope they have).

vandalzag
03-16-2017, 04:02 PM
This is what the game thread looked like today
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1200x675/p032q7p1.jpg

zagbeliever
03-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Win and move on.

THIS! We won. That's all that matters. Nigel said their shooting was off first half so they relied on defense. Don't panic people. Go Zags!

DixieZag
03-16-2017, 04:04 PM
I thought this was a thread about crispy chicken sliders or something. Shoot.

I'm not sure I have ever had a crappy chicken slider. Had pretty good luck with those over the years

MichZagFan
03-16-2017, 04:14 PM
I haven't posted in a very long time but, man, reading this thread sucks. This team is special. They played awful but still won by 20 points.

The Zags have such a great fan base. Wish everybody was on the same page because the Zags have the makings to go very deep in this tournament.

I'm gonna enjoy the wild ride for both my Zags and Wolverines.

katman50
03-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Very scary movie as well as book. A remake coming out this year of the movie.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-16-2017, 05:12 PM
Do people feel better or worse after seeing how Nova struggled in the first half? They were losing!

El Zag
03-16-2017, 05:16 PM
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

kitzbuel
03-16-2017, 05:20 PM
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
Oh..that sounds like a lot of work. I think I'm gonna stay in the stands and drink a beer.

Saxon_zag
03-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Do people feel better or worse after seeing how Nova struggled in the first half? They were losing!

A little better actually. They were losing at least for a moment in the 2nd half!

Still though we were not good today, luckily we were playing a pretty poor opponent. In WCC terms maybe they are like USF level? Daum better than anything USF has but the sum of the parts... Gotta be better Saturday!

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-16-2017, 05:29 PM
A little better actually. They were losing at least for a moment in the 2nd half!

Still though we were not good today, luckily we were playing a pretty poor opponent. In WCC terms maybe they are like USF level? Daum better than anything USF has but the sum of the parts... Gotta be better Saturday!

Definitely.. but Nova's struggles show it's not just a Zags thing.

Ezag
03-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Ignore button, it's your friend

Ignore function is silly. It is counter intuitive. Discussion posts with only one side don't make a lot of sense and is not the kind of community you want. If it gets out of hand, that's what Mods are for.

zagsfanforlife
03-16-2017, 09:35 PM

If you ever played basketball and you are an 80+ free throw shooter and continually are missing 2, 3 in a row... its mental...

ZagaZags
03-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Now I'm craving an Egg McMuffin.

jchocolate99
03-16-2017, 10:23 PM
This message board cracks me up sometimes hahaha some of you act like our fandom towards GU should always be roses and lollipops... The amount of times posters jump down another posters throat for putting down a player or not saying something "positive" towards a player is comical at times. Everyone shows their fandom in different ways... you have the overly positive (which can be just as bad as the overly negative), the overly negative and the overly worried fan. When you're a fan you become emotionally attached to that team rather the outcomes are good or bad and we all have different ways in how we show our emotions towards the team.

This is a message board full of die hard Zags fan that come to read and discuss topics and opinions that relate to the Zags. Sometimes those "opinions" might not be in a positive light towards certain players... THAT'S FINE... If you don't like what is being said move past the thread or comment or post your rebuttal. To many on this board act like we need to be sensitive towards players because either A. their family might be reading the board or B. because they're "kids"... These aren't kids these are 18 year old and older adults that decided to sign up to play major D1 basketball. Criticism comes with that from the media and from the fanbase it's not our job on this board to coddle these damn players. If the criticism becomes distasteful sure a rebuking can be inline but criticism of a players play is fair game. We've had many players come through this program that didn't make "intelligent" decisions when playing and it is far from out of line for fans on a message board to be critical of that.

People should be able to come on this board and express their opinions and fandom in their unique ways. That helps to keep a team forum active and vibrant... you might agree with some of the post and sometimes you might not. If you don't move past and post or thread or add your rebuttal to keep the differing opinions flowing.

ScrapironJim
03-16-2017, 10:25 PM
Allow me to suggest a simple rule for anyone who claims to be a Zag fan. Before you post on this board, stop and consider the impact of your post. Understand that the players and their friends and families are reading this board. And so are many Zag fans who are of the opinion that negative posts are unwelcome. After this simple consideration, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it. Really, most of us would prefer that you keep negative opinions to yourself. They serve no "constructive" purpose. They only make "you" feel better. The rest of us not so much.

PS - calling people names serves no "constructive" purpose either!!!!

ScrapironJim
03-16-2017, 10:29 PM
One more thing . . . if a player is going through a rough time, your negative post will only make it worse. Thereby negatively impacting the performance of the team that you claim to be a fan of.

Have a heart and be kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maynard g krebs
03-16-2017, 11:18 PM
This message board cracks me up sometimes hahaha some of you act like our fandom towards GU should always be roses and lollipops... The amount of times posters jump down another posters throat for putting down a player or not saying something "positive" towards a player is comical at times. Everyone shows their fandom in different ways... you have the overly positive (which can be just as bad as the overly negative), the overly negative and the overly worried fan. When you're a fan you become emotionally attached to that team rather the outcomes are good or bad and we all have different ways in how we show our emotions towards the team.

This is a message board full of die hard Zags fan that come to read and discuss topics and opinions that relate to the Zags. Sometimes those "opinions" might not be in a positive light towards certain players... THAT'S FINE... If you don't like what is being said move past the thread or comment or post your rebuttal. To many on this board act like we need to be sensitive towards players because either A. their family might be reading the board or B. because they're "kids"... These aren't kids these are 18 year old and older adults that decided to sign up to play major D1 basketball. Criticism comes with that from the media and from the fanbase it's not our job on this board to coddle these damn players. If the criticism becomes distasteful sure a rebuking can be inline but criticism of a players play is fair game. We've had many players come through this program that didn't make "intelligent" decisions when playing and it is far from out of line for fans on a message board to be critical of that.

People should be able to come on this board and express their opinions and fandom in their unique ways. That helps to keep a team forum active and vibrant... you might agree with some of the post and sometimes you might not. If you don't move past and post or thread or add your rebuttal to keep the differing opinions flowing.

You realize the hypocrisy here, right? It's ok to bash the player, but it's not ok to bash the poster who bashes the player? If you think you can come on a message board and call a player something like "mentally weak", you should be ready and willing for those who disagree to take comparable shots at you. Fair's fair.

"So and so needs to improve in x area". That's fine. That's discussion. "So and so is mentally weak". Not fine. That's a whiny little @#$%^ insulting a player. There's a difference.

jchocolate99
03-17-2017, 12:33 AM
You realize the hypocrisy here, right? It's ok to bash the player, but it's not ok to bash the poster who bashes the player? If you think you can come on a message board and call a player something like "mentally weak", you should be ready and willing for those who disagree to take comparable shots at you. Fair's fair.

"So and so needs to improve in x area". That's fine. That's discussion. "So and so is mentally weak". Not fine. That's a whiny little @#$%^ insulting a player. There's a difference.

Wasn't my intention for it to come off as hypocritical and you have some valid points, but I disagree with your notion of what is acceptable criticism to throw at a player on this board. These are grown man that don't need protecting from harsh criticism... This is just going to have to be an agree to disagree because it can be argued both ways and won't get anywhere.

All Weather Fan
03-17-2017, 05:29 AM
At the end of the day.......
We played like crap on the offensive end & still won by 20.
We will play fine on Saturday & probably win by 20 again.

Zaga
03-17-2017, 07:17 AM
At the end of the day.......
We played like crap on the offensive end & still won by 20.
We will play fine on Saturday & probably win by 20 again.

I agree AWF!

ezcure17
03-17-2017, 08:29 AM
I know what it is, we have had such a great season, that no one on the boards here had any time to vent throughout the year! It has all been released like a volcano! Lol Now lets enjoy our road to phoenix! Good luck all and to our Zags!

sittingon50
03-17-2017, 08:44 AM
As the sun began to appear this morning I looked out on the horizon. Alas, there were no lifeboats in sight.

maynard g krebs
03-17-2017, 01:27 PM
Wasn't my intention for it to come off as hypocritical and you have some valid points, but I disagree with your notion of what is acceptable criticism to throw at a player on this board. These are grown man that don't need protecting from harsh criticism...

I didn't say they did. I just said that what's good for the goose is good for the gander; if it's ok for a poster to bash a kid, why shouldn't it be equally ok to bash the poster who bashes the kid? That's what I referred to as hypocrisy; saying it's ok to for a poster to bash a kid, and that poster should be immune from the same treatment (s)he's dishing out.