PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Coach of the Year Awards Thread

Sarenyon
02-14-2017, 10:12 AM
Two good articles about how Few should be COY... not too much new, but glad he is getting more and more conversation, as he should.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/2/14/14542698/gonzaga-bulldogs-mark-few-national-coach-of-the-year

http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/why-mark-few-should-win-the-coach-of-the-year-award/

Hope the links work.

zagfan24
02-14-2017, 10:37 AM
If GU goes 32-0, and he ISN'T named coach of the year, that would only speak to his incredible career prior to now. He has set his baseline so high that even this (thus-far) undefeated season has only recently gotten him much recognition. It also speaks to Few's lack of interest in self-promotion. The team, not the coach, is the brand at GU and his humility sets an example for all others in the program.

As to this year specifically, it's easy to look at a sweet 16 team last year and forget that a) they were hardly a lock for the tournament and b) they lost 2 NBA players off of that team. Yes, the Zags brought in a lot of talent, but many new faces. We haven't had a single digit win in conference, and only 3 all year. It's remarkable, to say the least.

NotoriousZ
02-14-2017, 10:45 AM
He's got my vote. The man must be getting better every year because I find myself questioning his decisions (we GUBoard experts are good at that) less and less. It's probably going to come down to him and Baylor's coach, but I can't imagine Few not getting it if we go undefeated heading into the tournament.

seacatfan
02-14-2017, 11:05 AM
He's got my vote. The man must be getting better every year because I find myself questioning his decisions (we GUBoard experts are good at that) less and less. It's probably going to come down to him and Baylor's coach, but I can't imagine Few not getting it if we go undefeated heading into the tournament.

Baylor's coach? They're totally fading.

RenoZag
02-14-2017, 11:12 AM
As more of the national media types weigh in on the Zags, I have the impression those guys are really pulling for "Fewie." There was an article ( Feinstein ? ) linked on this MBB where Gary Williams called Few " a great coach." When the Zags faced Coach K two seasons ago, he was also very complimentary of Few and the GU program. Izzo and Bill Self have also had positive things to say, as did Arizona's Sean Miller.

I'm just a knucklehead Zag grad living vicariously through the drama and excitement of this season ( and every season, for that matter ). Should the Zags make a deep, deep run, I'll be happy for the players, for the fans, and for my alma mater. But I think I'll feel the happiest for Mark Few. I think he's paid his dues and deserves to get the skeptics off his backside.

CDC84
02-14-2017, 11:30 AM
As I keep saying, if you consider that PK only played a few games last season, 6 of the 8 players in Few's main rotation didn't play for Gonzaga last season. I don't care how much talent he has, what he has done has been impressive.

Gary Williams has been a long time Few supporter, and I think I know why. He sees himself in Few. Williams was chastised for years and years at Maryland for never getting the Terps to the final four. And then all of a sudden he got Juan Dixon. Final four one year, national championship the next.

jpn17
02-14-2017, 07:21 PM
If Duke rattles off some wins to close out the season, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Krzyzewski wins it. Having to deal with the Allen situation and the surgery, the media/voters will be all over that.

MBAGael
02-14-2017, 07:47 PM
I have been coaching basketball for years now, along with teaching Econ at smc, what impressed me this year was how quickly he was able to get the team to gel on the court. I expected you to have some hiccups in the preseason leading to a loss or two, but you didn't.

I sit behind the visitors bench, when karno came out of the game irate about a non foul call (they taped his ankle), mark was right there. He looked him right in the eye and listened to his entire rant. Then he calmly talked to him about it and what to do. Watching the entire thing made me believe that this is a coach who knows how to relate and cares about his players. I was more impressed with him (empathetic is the word for it) after witnessing this exchange.

Zagceo
02-14-2017, 07:51 PM
I have been coaching basketball for years now, along with teaching Econ at smc, what impressed me this year was how quickly he was able to get the team to gel on the court. I expected you to have some hiccups in the preseason leading to a loss or two, but you didn't.

I sit behind the visitors bench, when karno came out of the game irate about a non foul call (they taped his ankle), mark was right there. He looked him right in the eye and listened to his entire rant. Then he calmly talked to him about it and what to do. Watching the entire thing made me believe that this is a coach who knows how to relate and cares about his players. I was more impressed with him (empathetic is the word for it) after witnessing this exchange.

Thanks for sharing

Zagguy
02-14-2017, 08:01 PM
We sit behind opponents bench (couple rows up) and have had the opportunity to see and hear many coaches coach...or not coach. Seeing how they make eye contact, engage their players and enforce their game plans has been enlightening. Romo is no Izzo and Huggy was a treat. Thank you for your insights, MBAGael. Agree that Few is a great coach!

RenoZag
02-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Jeff Goodman handicapped in a column today the national COY race via an ESPN Insider article: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/18673592/northwestern-wildcats-chris-collins-crowded-race-national-coach-year

He lists them this way:

1, Drew
2. Miller
3. Wright
4. Few
5. Self
6. White
7. Hamilton
8. Pastner
9. Jankovich
10. Collins

His notes re: Coach Few:

The Zags are undefeated, at 26-0, and have run the table thus far in the WCC, with 14 straight wins. That's enough to put Few in the equation. Gonzaga has swept Saint Mary's and has knocked off Arizona, Florida and Iowa State on neutral courts. You can't do more than what Few has done thus far with this group.

MontanaCoyote
02-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Thanks for sharing

Yes! These personal stories are "few" and far between. Thanks for posting!

ZagNative
02-17-2017, 04:32 PM
Yahoo's The Dagger publishes four writers' top five picks for Coach of the Year. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/our-writers-make-their-picks-for-college-basketballs-coach-of-the-year-133729395.html) Coach Few is included in all top five. The writer who picked Mark Few #1 is Henry Bushnell, who says of Mark Few:

I consider Coach of the Year voting in different terms than most. Many look for teams that have outperformed expectations, and simply pick the head honcho at that program. I look for, well … the best coach. Or the coach that has done the best job of building the team he currently has and winning games with that team. I subscribe to the theory that Gregg Popovich should win the NBA version of the award (almost) every year, and the college version of the award goes even further beyond performance relative to expectations, because much of what a college coach does — recruiting and developing talent — determines where those expectations are set.

So imagine this: There’s one team that hasn’t lost a game. It is 27-0. Every other team has lost at least twice. That one team ranks No. 1 in the country in adjusted efficiency margin by more than five points per 100 possessions. And it came into the season outside the top 10 in every major preseason poll or set of rankings.

Then imagine that that team’s eight-man rotation comprises three transfers, two freshmen, one former four-star recruit, one former three-star recruit, and a sparsely recruited center from Poland who came into his fifth season less than a year removed from serious back surgery.

That team is Gonzaga, and Mark Few has built a powerhouse at the small, private, Catholic university in Spokane, Washington. Amazingly, his best team yet at a program built on stability is one that experienced a ton of roster turnover. The Bulldogs rank 319th nationally in minutes continuity, slightly above perennial one-and-done factory Kentucky, and 28 spots lower than any other top-12 team. Few has integrated transfers and freshmen expertly, has spent hours upon hours working with and sticking by Przemek Karnowski, and is an irrepressible choice for Coach of the Year.

MickMick
02-17-2017, 06:33 PM
I can live with all of the bull$%&^ grief on message boards that treat GU like a favorite whipping boy, but I can't live with supposedly competent sports journalists that are not diving in head first for Mark Few. Cripes.....he should have won this award a long time ago.

I'm so sick of these subjective beauty contests. The sports award shows that emulate the Academy Awards are nothing more than a means for sports pundits to impose their will. They can't affect the scores, or the outcomes of games, so they find any little niche possible to leave their mark. To them, the sporting world is a fire hydrant, and they are the dogs. If the narrative doesn't smell like them, they will lift their leg, pee all over it, and make sure that the narrative does smell like them. The next dog that approaches will sniff, dutifully lift his leg to impose his scent, and so on. After enough iterations, nothing smells like basketball anymore, but everything reeks of journalistic piss. They have their own little competition going on and they believe it is just as important as the basketball games themselves.

Screw the guys that don't have Mark Few at the top of the list. Screw them all to hell. They disgust me.

NumberCruncher
02-17-2017, 07:43 PM
I can live with all of the bull$%&^ grief on message boards that treat GU like a favorite whipping boy, but I can't live with supposedly competent sports journalists that are not diving in head first for Mark Few. Cripes.....he should have won this award a long time ago.

I'm so sick of these subjective beauty contests. The sports award shows that emulate the Academy Awards are nothing more than a means for sports pundits to impose their will. They can't affect the scores, or the outcomes of games, so they find any little niche possible to leave their mark. To them, the sporting world is a fire hydrant, and they are the dogs. If the narrative doesn't smell like them, they will lift their leg, pee all over it, and make sure that the narrative does smell like them. The next dog that approaches will sniff, dutifully lift his leg to impose his scent, and so on. After enough iterations, nothing smells like basketball anymore, but everything reeks of journalistic piss. They have their own little competition going on and they believe it is just as important as the basketball games themselves.

Screw the guys that don't have Mark Few at the top of the list. Screw them all to hell. They disgust me.

Wow, I mean WOW!!! Absolutely best post ever!!!

ZagsObserver
02-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Just watch, he will get the national COY award but the WCC will pick someone else. Like the USF coach

gonzagafan62
02-17-2017, 08:04 PM

I wouldn't normally support a vulgar post but this hits the damn nail on the head. Great job mickmick

CDC84
02-18-2017, 12:45 AM
Parrish said that if GU goes unbeaten thru the WCC tourney Few will win COY in a landslide. An unbeaten record means automatic COY.

Idahozag10
02-20-2017, 08:56 PM
did anyone catch sportscenter with svp tonight? coach few was supposed to be on it and talking about his zags...

just wondering if anyone has the clip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheZagPhish
02-20-2017, 09:18 PM
did anyone catch sportscenter with svp tonight? coach few was supposed to be on it and talking about his zags...

just wondering if anyone has the clip?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18730457

gonzagafan62
02-20-2017, 09:57 PM
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18730457

Thanks Phish. Loved the interview. Thank you

Idahozag10
02-20-2017, 10:20 PM
thank you TheZagPhish !

RenoZag
02-21-2017, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the link, Phish. Good interview

ZAG 4 LIFE
02-21-2017, 07:26 AM
Mick is absolutely correct... how many coaches replaced four (really five) starters, lost
Two guys to the league, (one, a lottery pick)... and replaced them with transfers
(Albeit very good ones), freshmen and previous role players... and led that completely
New group of players to 28-0??
Honestly... This should not even be a close vote.

Ezag
02-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Few deserves it this year

Zags_Fanatic
03-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Hopefully just the first of many NCOY accolades to close out this year. What he has done with this squad is nothing short of spectacular.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/nbc-sports-2017-college-basketball-coach-of-the-year-mark-few-gonzaga/

zagbeliever
03-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Hopefully just the first of many NCOY accolades to close out this year. What he has done with this squad is nothing short of spectacular.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/nbc-sports-2017-college-basketball-coach-of-the-year-mark-few-gonzaga/

He has earned it in my opinion Yay Coach Few!

Zagdawg
03-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Congratulations! Well deserved!

ArchaeaBYU
03-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Well done and well-deserved.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-06-2017, 12:23 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/11sBLVxNs7v6WA/giphy.gif

DixieZag
03-06-2017, 12:49 PM
NICE!

SWZag
03-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Well deserved!

Zags11
03-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Nice!

sittingon50
03-06-2017, 01:34 PM
They hit it right on the head; going thru an undefeated preseason with 6 of 8 who weren't suited up at the end of the previous year is no small feat.

Hoopaholic
03-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Awesome. Well deserved

CdAZagFan
03-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Very well deserved... He did a great job of getting these players to gel - and gel quickly.

Kiddwell
03-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Wowzers!

:]

Outraged
03-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Rank Coach W-L%
1. Sam Burton .8333
2. Clair Bee .8244
3. Adolph Rupp .8218
4. Mark Few .8158
5. John Wooden .8039
6. John Kresse .8012
7. Thomas Kibler .7962
8. Ralph Jones .7918
9. Jerry Tarkanian .7902
10. Roy Williams .7900
11. Al McGuire .7867
12. James Freeman .7830
13. John Calipari .7818
Francis Schmidt .7818
15. Student Coaches .7813
16. Dean Smith .7758
17. Jack Ramsay .7647
18. Bill Self .7645
19. Mike Krzyzewski .7642
20. Frank Keaney .7638

TravelinZag
03-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Earned! Deserved! And, finally, recognized! Probably, the first of many COY awards for him this year.

Congratulations, Coach, and thanks. Now it's up to this team to add your 500th win, a final Four, and just maybe, a NC!

Go Zags! Do it for Coach Few, and do it for yourselves!

Hoopaholic
03-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Rank Coach W-L%
1. Sam Burton .8333
2. Clair Bee .8244
3. Adolph Rupp .8218
4. Mark Few .8158
5. John Wooden .8039
6. John Kresse .8012
7. Thomas Kibler .7962
8. Ralph Jones .7918
9. Jerry Tarkanian .7902
10. Roy Williams .7900
11. Al McGuire .7867
12. James Freeman .7830
13. John Calipari .7818
Francis Schmidt .7818
15. Student Coaches .7813
16. Dean Smith .7758
17. Jack Ramsay .7647
18. Bill Self .7645
19. Mike Krzyzewski .7642
20. Frank Keaney .7638

Look at the two coaches he is sandwich between......wow awesome company

VinnyZag
03-07-2017, 07:53 AM
He's USA TODAY's coach of the year (http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/07/college-basketball-coach-of-the-year-mark-few-gonzaga/98801126/), too.

Sarenyon
03-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Good article on the USA TODAY one. Congratulations Coach!

ZagNative
03-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Nice! http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/news/2017/alldistrict170307.html

DISTRICT IX
CA, OR, WA, HI, AZ, AK

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Lonzo Ball, UCLA

COACH OF THE YEAR

Mark Few, Gonzaga

ALL-DISTRICT TEAM (10)
Lonzo Ball, UCLA
Jordan Bell, Oregon
Dillon Brooks, Oregon
Markelle Fultz, Washington
Przemek Karnowski, Gonzaga
TJ Leaf, UCLA
Jock Landale, Saint Mary's
Lauri Markkanen, Arizona
Ivan Rabb, California
Nigel Williams-Goss, Gonzaga

HenneZag
03-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Nice work fellas!

LongIslandZagFan
03-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Nice article along with it too...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/07/college-basketball-coach-of-the-year-mark-few-gonzaga/98801126/

Congrats Mark... even though you don't look at the interwebs.

gonstu
03-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Congrats coach, we're lucky to have you.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 01:05 PM

I echo this sentiment........congrats and proud to have you representing our college and our community

MontanaCoyote
03-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Nice! http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/news/2017/alldistrict170307.html

One hellava team, that's for sure! Congrats Shem and Nigel. Well deserved!

SLOZag
03-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Player of the Year (District 8):

Eric Mika, BYU

gonstu
03-07-2017, 02:02 PM
I echo this sentiment........congrats and proud to have you representing our college and our community

He will hate it when they name it "Mark Few Court" or whatever they name the court after him. I hope they do it any way. :)

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Player of the Year (District 8):

Eric Mika, BYU

Ironic. POY not going dancing. Always thought POY helped teams win

Zag4Hire
03-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Well done.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/district9/assets/images/onesheet.jpg

krii
03-08-2017, 01:56 AM
There's Wooden Award soo ...

Maybe there'll be time when WCC will make 'Just a Few Awards' for best players in their respective positions? ;-)

Zagger
03-08-2017, 03:12 AM
There's Wooden Award soo ...

Maybe there'll be time when WCC will make 'Just a Few Awards' for best players in their respective positions? ;-)

It'd be neat to get a "Few" :)

Congrats Few and Nigel on the awards! 32-1. Wow!

northsidezagfan
03-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Very well deserved

Reborn
03-08-2017, 06:55 AM

ditto

FuManShoes
03-08-2017, 07:30 AM
Congrats, Coach Few!

Strangely, USA Today can't seem to decide if the Zags are all that great.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/08/ncaa-tournament-bracketology-college-basketball-march-madness-gonzaga/98886228/

amaronizag
03-08-2017, 08:00 AM
"Strangely, USA Today can't seem to decide if the Zags are all that great."

With all the different predictions floating around, someone has to be wrong, it so happens that's it's USA Today.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2017, 12:14 PM
He's got to be the odds on favorite now. Great job coach Few!

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 08:06 AM
Another accolade for Mark...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/sporting-news-college-basketball-coach-of-the-year-award-2016-17-gonzaga-final-four-march-madness/c1fumsfqhlxjzuxtjf7gk5fp?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Loved the the response... "Really cool"

CDC84
03-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Somehow I knew that would happen :)

hockeyzag
03-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Another accolade for Mark...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/sporting-news-college-basketball-coach-of-the-year-award-2016-17-gonzaga-final-four-march-madness/c1fumsfqhlxjzuxtjf7gk5fp?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Loved the the response... "Really cool"

What a great writeup. Lucky fans we are.

Birddog
03-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Super article, well worth reading.

Sarenyon
03-09-2017, 09:10 AM
:000tens: :clap:

TravelinZag
03-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Three COY awards already (WCC, NBC, Sporting News) for Mark Few; more to come!

We're not the only ones who respect and love you, Coach!

Zags_Fanatic
03-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Three COY awards already (WCC, NBC, Sporting News) for Mark Few; more to come!

We're not the only ones who respect and love you, Coach!

Missing another big one, USA Today from 2 days ago: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/07/college-basketball-coach-of-the-year-mark-few-gonzaga/98801126/

ZagNut08
03-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Missing another big one, USA Today from 2 days ago: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/07/college-basketball-coach-of-the-year-mark-few-gonzaga/98801126/

Love that when I click the link there is a huge picture of Bill Self on the top...

MickMick
03-09-2017, 03:57 PM
He should have won it a long time ago. I actually think his best coaching was last year when the team was on the ropes, in risk of not making it into post season, then surpassing all expectations once they got there.

Congrats to the staff.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Well deserved and overdue.

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 04:40 PM

No... didn't miss it. But at the pace this board has been at.. it got buried...

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?59625-USA-Today-names-Mark-Few-COY&highlight=Coach+year

We should keep a running list... because don't think these will be the last.

ZagNative
03-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Link. (http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/news/2017/iba170315.html)

Few, in his 18th season as head coach at Gonzaga, has led the Bulldogs to the NCAA Tournament every year and to the Sweet 16 six times. He is two wins shy of 500 career victories with an overall record of 498-112.

"This is a great honor, because it is from the people who cover college basketball day in and day out, so they understand what it takes to have a year like this," Few said. "We have great players and a great staff. I'm appreciative and humbled by this honor."

Few will be formally presented with the Henry Iba Award at the USBWA’s annual honors luncheon at the Final Four in Phoenix on Monday, April 3. He is the first coach from the West Coast Conference to be selected as national coach of the year by the USBWA.

Zag_Dad
03-15-2017, 12:01 PM
:000tens: :cheers: :clap:

Zagceo
03-15-2017, 12:02 PM
congrats coach

Zags_Fanatic
03-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Seems like he and Nigel just need the AP honors to finish it up. Congratulations Coach Few!!!!

Zaga
03-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Awesome! Great job Mark...Another space in the trophy case is spoken for. Go Zag's

#runthetable

TexasZagFan
03-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Awesome! Great job Mark...Another space in the trophy case is spoken for. Go Zag's

#runthetable

They better have room for one more!

Zagdawg
03-15-2017, 01:31 PM
Well earned! Congrats Coach!

RenoZag
03-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Consolidating the news in one spot. Congratulations to Coach Few, the staff, and the players

bigblahla
03-16-2017, 04:41 AM
well deserved recognition for a great coach and really really good man....

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagceo
03-17-2017, 02:22 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7C6WglVAAEaDQr.jpg

Zag79
03-17-2017, 02:44 AM
One of his finest seasons yet, last year was also one of my favorites with everything on the line. Well deserved!

RenoZag
03-27-2017, 06:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7C6WglVAAEaDQr.jpg

Gee, I wonder which of these guys will win. . .

CDC84
03-27-2017, 07:30 PM
Yeah, Few has that one locked up. Self and Wright make no sense. I would put Sean Miller ahead of both. Collins is a nice story, but with Few taking GU to the final four, it's a slam dunk. (BTW - why do so many photos of Few make him look like he's a lion trying to rip off a piece of meat from a buffalo carcass?)

Nigel is making first team AA with some awards, but not with others. I would imagine he probably won't get on the Naismeth 1st team, which is handed out at the final four. However, he will likely be on every list and be a POY candidate if he returns as expected.

Zags_Fanatic
03-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Yeah, Few has that one locked up. Self and Wright make no sense. I would put Sean Miller ahead of both. Collins is a nice story, but with Few taking GU to the final four, it's a slam dunk. (BTW - why do so many photos of Few make him look like he's a lion trying to rip off a piece of meat from a buffalo carcass?)

Nigel is making first team AA with some awards, but not with others. I would imagine he probably won't get on the Naismeth 1st team, which is handed out at the final four. However, he will likely be on every list and be a POY candidate if he returns as expected.

I think NWG locked up the last 1st Team awards with the Final Four. Already got on the last Wooden list which is basically 1st Team AA.

sittingon50
03-27-2017, 10:41 PM
Is that Collins featuring his hand thru the basket pose?

MDABE80
03-30-2017, 10:18 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/regardless-of-final-four-outcome-gonzagas-mark-few-is-clear-coach-of-the-year/

Congrats to Coach Few!

Zagdawg
03-30-2017, 12:12 PM
Tom Hudson‏ @VoiceofGonzaga 1m1 minute ago
More
Coach Few named the Associated Press coach of the year! #ZagsVoice #UnitedWeZag

BREAKING: @ZagMBB Coach Mark Few named @AP coach of the year #GOZAGS #UnitedWeZag

RenoZag
03-30-2017, 12:21 PM
He's going to need a bigger trophy case. . .

ZagNative
03-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Im watching the presentation on SWX, Comcast #112.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Wow.

:clap:

ZagNative
03-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Spokesman story on the award: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/30/gonzagas-mark-few-wins-ap-coach-of-the-year/

Few has taken the Zags to the NCAA Tournament in all 18 of his seasons there. He was a runaway winner Thursday receiving 31 votes from the same 65-member media panel that selects the weekly Top 25.

Sean Miller of Arizona received 8 votes, Chris Collins of Northwestern had 7 and SMU’s Tim Jankovich got 6.

ZagnetitForce
03-30-2017, 12:45 PM
YES!!!!!! So well deserved. Love our Coach.

Ekrub
03-30-2017, 12:49 PM
In all honesty, he deserved it a long time ago. Congrats coach

Zagdawg
03-30-2017, 12:56 PM
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Few%20COY.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Few%20COY.png.html)

NotoriousZ
03-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Associated Press Coach of the Year

We knew it was coming, but this is awesome. Congrats Coach Few!

MickMick
03-30-2017, 07:04 PM
Woot!!!

Zags11
03-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Awesome job!

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Coach Few won the Naismith Coach of the Year Award.

Slipper Still Fits has the story.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/4/2/15154750/naismith-coach-of-the-year-mark-few-jay-wright-bill-self-chris-collins

zags97
04-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Awesome!

rijman
04-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Congrats to Few and the coaching staff. That trophy is really nice, the one the team gets Monday night will be even better.