PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Discussion Thread For NIT (BYU participant)

CDC84
03-15-2017, 08:58 AM
Here is the bracket:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/brackets/viewable_nit

BYU plays at home against Arlington tonight....the same team that took out Saint Mary's. Tip is 8pm PT, and it will be televised on ESPN2. The winner takes on the winner of Akron/Houston, which tips at 4:30pm on ESPNU.

SWZag
03-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Thanks!
I don't see UTA beating two top-tier WCC teams twice.
I'd really like to see Akron beat Houston. They are another reason why I dislike conference tourneys giving the automatic bid. It discounts the whole season. They won league and lose one game in their conference tourney and miss the NCAA because of it. Then you get South Dakota State who just wins a few game at the end of the season and gets in.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Ok. I personally have a tough time rooting for BYU, but I am on board tonight. Go Cougars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23dpg
03-15-2017, 09:19 AM
PAC 12's NIT run is over. California and UTah both lost at home last night. Boise State beat Utah in a relatively close game. #1 seed California was destroyed by Cal St Bakersfield. Cal got it respectable at the end but was down double digits most of the game.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2017, 09:30 AM
A bit O/T, but I'm glad to see USF in the CBI, added experience for the team. Would like to see all WCC schools do well in postseason play.

seacatfan
03-15-2017, 09:31 AM
PAC 12's NIT run is over. California and UTah both lost at home last night. Boise State beat Utah in a relatively close game. #1 seed California was destroyed by Cal St Bakersfield. Cal got it respectable at the end but was down double digits most of the game.

Colorado hasn't played yet.

NIT is kinda funny. It's like lesser tier bowl games, motivation levels of the participating teams varies greatly. If a team doesn't want to be there and doesn't care, they aren't going to last long. Higher seeded and hosting teams Alabama and Clemson also got eliminated the first game.

SWZag
03-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Good win for Leon, Rillie and BSU! Next, at Illinois.

23dpg
03-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Forgot about Colorado. I agree that some teams show up and some don't. But the Pac-12 was so top heavy this year. 3 top ten teams, 6 average to not very good teams and 3 bad teams. (Maybe USC rises to good team)

seacatfan
03-15-2017, 09:58 AM
Forgot about Colorado. I agree that some teams show up and some don't. But the Pac-12 was so top heavy this year. 3 top ten teams, 6 average to not very good teams and 3 bad teams. (Maybe USC rises to good team)

Okay, so there's more to the story w/ the Cal game. I knew Jabari Bird suffered a concussion less than a week ago in the game against Oregon and figured he wouldn't be cleared to play yet (he wasn't). Cal was also without Ivan Rabb. Minus Bird and Rabb Cal doesn't have much. Really can't take that game as an indictment against the overall quality of the conference.

BayAreaZagFan
03-15-2017, 11:48 AM
If a team doesn't want to be there and doesn't care, they aren't going to last long. Higher seeded and hosting teams Alabama and Clemson also got eliminated the first game.

Indiana took this attitude to a new level. They were the higher seed and should have hosted the game against Georgia Tech, but their AD didn't want to "devalue" Assembly Hall by hosting an NIT game there. So the team played on the road and lost. And they probably don't care.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-15-2017, 11:54 AM
A bit O/T, but I'm glad to see USF in the CBI, added experience for the team. Would like to see all WCC schools do well in postseason play.

USF and BYU are two young teams that should be much better in a year. I hope they both play well and make deep runs in these tournaments. The experience will be good for those kids.

SWZag
03-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Belmont up 10 on Georgia with 4 minutes left. Hope GA loses, especially after the Perkins' incident.

ETA: Belmont beats Georgia!

RenoZag
03-15-2017, 04:50 PM
Cal lost to CSU - Bakersfield . . .was that before or after the Cuonzo Martin stuff came out ??

23dpg
03-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Add Colorado to the list. Lost by 5 to UCF

sittingon50
03-15-2017, 07:16 PM
In CBI news, USF loses.

23dpg
03-15-2017, 07:19 PM
BYU vs UT Arlington is a shoot out so far. Loser may end up with >100 points!

DixieZag
03-15-2017, 07:24 PM
I wish Santa Clara had been invited to play somewhere. Brownridge could light things up one more time.

RenoZag
03-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Ok, it's official. I'm a college basketball junkie. Watching the First Four games and BYU's NIT game makes it so. . .I guess I'm trying to compensate for the fact that I won't be able to watch the Zags game live tomorrow.

So it goes.

23dpg
03-15-2017, 07:38 PM
BYU game is just crazy. UTA up 41-38 with 7 minutes left in the first half.:boxing:

CdAZagFan
03-15-2017, 07:43 PM
Emery with some high elbows to the face of his defender... Rooting for BYU, but watching Emery (and having that twitter incident of him fresh in my mind) makes it very hard.

DixieZag
03-15-2017, 07:46 PM
Ok, it's official. I'm a college basketball junkie. Watching the First Four games and BYU's NIT game makes it so. . .I guess I'm trying to compensate for the fact that I won't be able to watch the Zags game live tomorrow.

So it goes.

BYU-UTA, neither even pretending to be bothered with defense.

Akzag
03-15-2017, 07:47 PM
BYU game is just crazy. UTA up 41-38 with 7 minutes left in the first half.:boxing:

Defensive is optional ... and both teams are choosing the option of not using it.

Considering the number of fouls and turnovers, it is crazy that they are now at a combined 92 ... 93 points with 4:17 left in the first ... make it 94.

Akzag
03-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Both teams at 60+% shooting ... Mika just scored his 23rd point ... Arlington leads 62-55 at the half.

Goshzagit
03-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Im not sure ive seen 62 1st half points in college hoops, well, since LMU days...

Have we ever scored more than 60 in a half?

DixieZag
03-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Nice job, BYU.

They always say, the key to winning at home is to keep the visitor to under 65 in the first half.

23dpg
03-15-2017, 08:01 PM
Defensive is an optical illusion ... and both teams are choosing the option of not using it.

Considering the number of fouls and turnovers, it is crazy that they are now at a combined 92 ... 93 points with 4:17 left in the first ... make it 94.

Fixed it

Seriously, BYU is bipolar.

Akzag
03-15-2017, 08:01 PM
Dick Bennett - :explode:

Son Tony - :confused:

Goshzagit
03-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Was gonna call it a night but must....keep....watching....

Sloppy as hell but entertaining.

UT Arlington is quick & makes TOUGH shots.

Mika is Mika.

BYU guards are chuckers vs any team not named GU.

SWZag
03-15-2017, 08:04 PM
CBI: USF loses to Rice 85-76

Go BYU!!!! The WCC needs post season wins!

bartruff1
03-15-2017, 08:09 PM
It is so difficult to root for BYU....but...if they win, they play the Zips and that will be fun....Mika vs Johnson

I think I heard a broadcaster say that last year in the NIT the Mid Majors were 7-0 against the Power 5 and this year they are also winning big time....a shame the NCAA doesn't give the Conference Season Winners a bid.

willandi
03-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Not sure I like the 4 team fouls every 10 minutes. It seemed to work against EWU while I listened, on the way home.

I do like the 15 point rule. Up by 15 with less then 5 minutes in the half, the team leading all have to wear an eye patch! It does make it interesting...much better than the tied shoelaces rule they were considering!

U Zig, I Zag
03-15-2017, 08:18 PM
This is gonna get away from BYU.

Goshzagit
03-15-2017, 08:22 PM
This is gonna get away from BYU.

an incredibly emotional/mental team…and not in a good way.

listened to them all season state, "we are better team than we have shown and we know it."

they truly believe they are better than they actually are -- and I feel their idea of themselves gets in the way.

Goshzagit
03-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Elijah Bryant is BYU's best all around player, save Mika.

Didn't realize he was out with knee injury.

He was there clear cut MVP vs Gonzaga, and was the only guard SMC and GU struggled to guard and/or score against.

He's 6'5" 205 lb strong smart dynamic guard.

Too bad for BYU, but hurts their lineup.

kitzbuel
03-15-2017, 08:39 PM
So BYU plays defense once a year....in the Kennel.

jpn17
03-15-2017, 08:58 PM
So BYU plays defense once a year....in the Kennel.

BYU pairs their talent with effort twice a year, when they play against Gonzaga. Every other game they just rely on talent alone and it's not good enough. This BYU team shouldn't have lost more than 5 games this year, and they wouldn't have if they had only played with a little heart.

RenoZag
03-15-2017, 09:02 PM
They have heart. Talent to play defense ? Not so.

sittingon50
03-15-2017, 09:02 PM
3:37 to go & the aisles are getting crowded.

seacatfan
03-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Cal lost to CSU - Bakersfield . . .was that before or after the Cuonzo Martin stuff came out ??

The game was Tuesday night, the news about Martin came out on Wednesday. So their 2 best players didn't play and their coach was most of the way out of the door. NIT games clearly don't matter to quite a few of the participants.

sittingon50
03-15-2017, 09:13 PM
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=17534910

BayAreaZagFan
03-16-2017, 06:29 AM
:mad: BYU :mad:

First thing this morning, my obnoxious UCLA-fan buddy has to comment on the game, "BYU beat Gonzaga, but lost to something called UT Arlington?! That goes to show you how good the Zags are. The committee definitely made a mistake and they are WAY over-seeded!" I pointed out that UT Arlington was a pretty decent team and that they also beat St. Mary's. Big mistake. "That proves my point! Gonzaga's best wins this season were over St. Mary's. The Zags wouldn't stand a chance against Arlington! The Zags wouldn't even be able to win the NIT!" I almost brought up their two wins this season over his beloved Pac-12, but then I'd have to listen to his stupid take on those games and more of that "Arizona was without Trier" crap.

I don't care what it does to my bracket - I am now officially the biggest Kent State fan west of Ohio.

willandi
03-16-2017, 06:37 AM

First thing this morning, my obnoxious UCLA-fan buddy has to comment on the game, "BYU beat Gonzaga, but lost to something called UT Arlington?! That goes to show you how good the Zags are. The committee definitely made a mistake and they are WAY over-seeded!" I pointed out that UT Arlington was a pretty decent team and that they also beat St. Mary's. Big mistake. "That proves my point! Gonzaga's best wins this season were over St. Mary's. The Zags wouldn't stand a chance against Arlington! The Zags wouldn't even be able to win the NIT!" I almost brought up their two wins this season over his beloved Pac-12, but then I'd have to listen to his stupid take on those games and more of that "Arizona was without Trier" crap.

I don't care what it does to my bracket - I am now officially the biggest Kent State fan west of Ohio.

Every team lost to an unranked team, at some point, during the season. If they can't see that they are haters and it doesn't matter what you say, they won't accept it anyway, so go over the top, be brutal, make it up if you have to!

But in a way, I agree. Every team with more than 1 loss should be disqualified from the tournament!

SWZag
03-16-2017, 06:39 AM

UCLA lost to Arizona twice. GU beat Arizona...

TexasZagFan
03-16-2017, 06:44 AM
UCLA lost to Arizona twice. GU beat Arizona...

I'm looking to see us play like we did during the first ten minutes of the AZ & TN games, and all but 10 minutes of the final SMC game. Pundits that saw that game had to have been influenced positively, particularly the first half when SMC scored 18 points. After all, that was the third time we played them, and SMC still had no answers for us. Sure, SMC played better in the second half, but they dug themselves too big a hole.

kitzbuel
03-16-2017, 08:59 AM

Utah, Cal and Colorado did sooo much better.....