PDA

View Full Version : Bud Withers: On the Zag haters

sittingon50
03-14-2017, 11:19 PM
http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/294374/that-old-national-sport-hating-on

Zag4Hire
03-15-2017, 03:17 AM
http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/294374/that-old-national-sport-hating-on

Excellent. Thanks for sharing. This is pure gold.

In terms relating to the BYU loss may have been good.
It would have been the surpassing national story, with nothing else even close, at least until LaVar Ball opens his mouth again.

Zagger
03-15-2017, 04:38 AM
At the steady rate at which Silas Melson is improving as a Zag .... it would not surprise me if you could put him too into this Writher's list:

Unrelated to that, it has a greater overall level of talent than any previous Gonzaga team. It can bring two NBA-level (at some point, at least) players in Zach Collins and Killian Tillie off the bench.

And I'm being serious. We stand to see Silas on the floor a lot more often as a senior. Silas is playing his best BB as a Zag this year and getting better. He's part of the whole mix of why the Zags earned a #1 seed. DEPTH.

Spike94
03-15-2017, 04:52 AM
Haters gonna hate. 20 years in a row. Consistently making it to the second weekend. Neither is anything close to underachieving. It doesn't matter though because when we make it to the Final 4 this year or whenever, they will say we didn't win a national title. And if we win one they will say we haven't won 2. So, I say screw em and enjoy the ride. I look at my being an alum as being an honor that not a lot of people have and I am so unbelievably proud of our men, and women. I could care less what some East Coast homer has to say.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2017, 05:20 AM
Haters gonna hate. 20 years in a row. Consistently making it to the second weekend. Neither is anything close to underachieving. It doesn't matter though because when we make it to the Final 4 this year or whenever, they will say we didn't win a national title. And if we win one they will say we haven't won 2. So, I say screw em and enjoy the ride. I look at my being an alum as being an honor that not a lot of people have and I am so unbelievably proud of our men, and women. I could care less what some East Coast homer has to say.

Well said. My decision to attend GU set me on a path I never could have imagined as a young man. The annual journey we take as Zag fans has paid immeasurable benefits, whether it be creating opportunities to reconnect with fellow alums, additional family events/trips, or making new friends.

Can supporters of blue blood schools say the same thing? From my perch, fans of schools like Kentucky, UNC, or Duke only seem to care about the end result. Zag fans like me (and most of those on this board) focus on the journey. It's sad, really. When Duke was going through its doldrums, my coworker was silent. A few weeks later, he's focused on his Zag hate, not the reemergence of "his" team.

If it were not for Zags basketball, there never would have been that December road trip with my sons and grandson. Never would have had the opportunity to meet GoZags' in-laws, never would have seen my grandson entertaining 14,000 fans at halftime. The games we've attended more closely accentuate the highs and lows, as opposed to games at the Kennel (though I'd love to see a game there): quality opponents, more hostile environments, etc. Our victories are sweeter when contrasted to the defeats in Wichita, Memphis, Houston, SMU, etc. But that's what sets the Zags apart, the willingness to play anyone, anywhere.

I am a Zag, and nothing more needs to be said.

75Zag
03-15-2017, 07:27 AM
I dislike the words hate or hater, but I can sympathize with the rabid fans of schools like Oregon who are extremely disappointed that their loss to AZ in the final game of the Pac-12 Tournament moved Oregon from a potential #1 seed in the West to an irrelevant #3 seed in the Midwest, or with the fans of AZ who believe that losing to GU while one or two of their superstars were unavailable does not mean they are a worse team than GU today. Those who criticize the overall top-to-bottom strength of the WCC have a point, but fortunately for GU, Coach Few recognized a long time ago that the only way to play out of the WCC is to play the highest caliber of competition in preseason out-of-conference games. GU deserves its #1 seed this year, but I can see how other equally passionate fans and media people could suggest otherwise. The obvious rebuttal to criticism is for GU to play into the Elite 8 and then win that game (and maybe a couple more).

See you in SLC - and San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

titopoet
03-15-2017, 08:15 AM
I dislike the words hate or hater, but I can sympathize with the rabid fans of schools like Oregon who are extremely disappointed that their loss to AZ in the final game of the Pac-12 Tournament moved Oregon from a potential #1 seed in the West to an irrelevant #3 seed in the Midwest, or with the fans of AZ who believe that losing to GU while one or two of their superstars were unavailable does not mean they are a worse team than GU today. Those who criticize the overall top-to-bottom strength of the WCC have a point, but fortunately for GU, Coach Few recognized a long time ago that the only way to play out of the WCC is to play the highest caliber of competition in preseason out-of-conference games. GU deserves its #1 seed this year, but I can see how other equally passionate fans and media people could suggest otherwise. The obvious rebuttal to criticism is for GU to play into the Elite 8 and then win that game (and maybe a couple more).

See you in SLC - and San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

One thing I noticed, though, and it is frustrating. So far, experts when discussing Duke and their chances never mention NC State. Why? NC State, a rather bad team with a great point guard, went into Cameron and took out Duke. George Tech's double digit win against UNC is long in the past. TCU taking down Kansas, the experts have the reasons already dismiss it as anomaly. Yet, every mention of the Zags makes bank on mentioning BYU as if BYU was the defining moment in Gonzaga season. Many look at it as a template for beating the Zags as if playing hack a Zag and hope to hell that the Zags shooting 20 points lower on the freethrows is a long term strategy.

The Zags played 33 games but only one, for many Zag bashers, reveals the true nature of the Zags. Beating Arizona... doesn't count. Trier will make all the difference (though no one has explained how a 200 lbs wing would slow down Karno as Karno was the one Zag the wildcats had no answer for. I guess Trier can neutralize Karno in the post) Beating a full strength Florida team (something Kentucky couldn't do, losing by 20). Beating Iowa State, holding them off in a close game, nope. A rather shallow way of thinking, but it is repeated so often that it becomes a bad beat, "BYU, BYU, BYU." This is the soundtrack of the non-thinking drumbeat of doubters, but the fact is GU is still the most complete team in the country.

CDC84
03-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Love the Decourcy quote:

“People hate them more . . . people hate them like they hate big oil, big banks and the Dallas Cowboys. Gonzaga has become college basketball’s most prominent target.”

Big Wally:

“I just don’t believe in this team,” said Wally Szczerbiak, the ex-NBA player analyzing for CBS Sports Network. “I don’t trust them.”

This isn't the only time he has bashed the Zags. He's done it ever since he got on the CBS Sports Network. What's odd is that he is a Miami of Ohio grad. He played in the MAC. Why would a guy like him have an ax to grind with the Zags? Jealousy?

Szczerbiak’s sidekick, another former NBA forward, Danny Granger, is similarly skeptical. Referring to possible roadblocks to the Zags’ bid for a first Final Four, he said, “It could be anybody that’s playing well.”

Have either of these guys looked at kenpom.com? How could you not trust the #1 rated team to beat a team that's "playing well." That has to be the stupidest quote yet. I would expect better from Granger....a UNM grad.

Zagger
03-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Well said. My decision to attend GU set me on a path I never could have imagined as a young man. The annual journey we take as Zag fans has paid immeasurable benefits, whether it be creating opportunities to reconnect with fellow alums, additional family events/trips, or making new friends.

Can supporters of blue blood schools say the same thing? From my perch, fans of schools like Kentucky, UNC, or Duke only seem to care about the end result. Zag fans like me (and most of those on this board) focus on the journey. It's sad, really. When Duke was going through its doldrums, my coworker was silent. A few weeks later, he's focused on his Zag hate, not the reemergence of "his" team.

If it were not for Zags basketball, there never would have been that December road trip with my sons and grandson. Never would have had the opportunity to meet GoZags' in-laws, never would have seen my grandson entertaining 14,000 fans at halftime. The games we've attended more closely accentuate the highs and lows, as opposed to games at the Kennel (though I'd love to see a game there): quality opponents, more hostile environments, etc. Our victories are sweeter when contrasted to the defeats in Wichita, Memphis, Houston, SMU, etc. But that's what sets the Zags apart, the willingness to play anyone, anywhere.

I am a Zag, and nothing more needs to be said.

If you come up here to Spokane we'll all figure out how to get you tickets. It's pretty easy during Winter Break - but then only a smattering of students are there. Anywho, if you plan a trip around some dates next season I'll sure do my best to get you a couple of tickets. A couple weeks or more notice would be best. Go Zags!

seacatfan
03-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Consistently making it to the second weekend.

Uh...7 out of 18 (I'm not including the '95 appearance). That's not that consistent. And only twice between '02 and '14. That's actually the opposite, consistently not making it past the first weekend. Some member here coined the phrase "Few 32" to reflect this. Last 2 years have been much better and the trend should continue.

Chicken Ball
03-15-2017, 11:13 AM
"It could be anyone who's playing well." Well, duh. But that's true for any team, no matter how good. If a good team is playing out of its mind against a better team that only brought its B game, then all bets are off.