PDA

View Full Version : Zach USA Today

Zagceo
03-14-2017, 09:49 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/14/zach-collins-gonzaga-basketball-ncaa-tournament-bracket/99181790/

zag buddy
03-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Very realistic article. Tx.

Zagger
03-15-2017, 03:57 AM
When it comes to Zach and the NBA this part pretty much sums it up .....

Collins feels a sense of loyalty to Gonzaga for the way they identified and stuck with him before other schools did, and he loves the way they develop and deploy their big men, and that he can talk to the coaching staff about anything.

If he returns to Gonzaga for his sophomore season, he’ll be in the position to get as many minutes as he could wish for, at least 50% more per night, even with promising classmates 6-10 Killian Tillie and 6-11 Jacob Larsen joining him up front. And whether he enters the NBA draft this year as a 19-year-old, he will fit into the talent pool from a developmental standpoint. In 2016, 65% of NBA draft picks were 19 or 20 years old on draft night.

My thoughts ... if the Zags get to the Final Four and Collins plays some eye catching basketball - good chance he bolts. If the Zags should come out as top Dance team .... then I think Zach would have a hard time not going to the NBA. That sort of success and what it took to get there could also shine pretty bright NBA lights on Mt. K and J3 as well - not to mention NWG. For Karnowski the decision would be easy - he can't come back to GU. For the rest - they really like their team/school. However you cut it though it would be a nice position to be in :) I personally wish the best for all these guys. They and their families will know what that is + the Zag coaching staff and their teammates will be very supportive one way or the other.

Coach Crazy
03-15-2017, 05:47 AM
I was listening to a podcast that was talking about some of his Synergy stats. Kid is doing some ridiculous things. If he was at a blue school right now, he'd already be in the Top 10 of the draft. Scouts and analysts are noticing this kid. He's for a shot at the lottery or Top 10.

If the Zags make the FF or better, he's probably going to be there without a doubt.

I think I could see some slim chance of him returning, if somehow they made the FF and Nigel wanted to stay to take a shot at the whole enchilada...and was able to rally one last stand for the following season. But very slim.

A FF run with J3 in top form could get him into a nice draft setup, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goshzagit
03-15-2017, 06:02 AM
I was listening to a podcast that was talking about some of his Synergy stats. Kid is doing some ridiculous things. If he was at a blue school right now, he'd already be in the Top 10 of the draft. Scouts and analysts are noticing this kid. He's for a shot at the lottery or Top 10.

If the Zags make the FF or better, he's probably going to be there without a doubt.

I think I could see some slim chance of him returning, if somehow they made the FF and Nigel wanted to stay to take a shot at the whole enchilada...and was able to rally one last stand for the following season. But very slim.

A FF run with J3 in top form could get him into a nice draft setup, too.

In ANY other year, yes. He would be a shoe-in for Lottery Pick, if not higher.

Simply not this year. Many scouts state its the deepest draft, maybe ever. This includes an incredibly deep international pool as well.

The amount of 1 and done's, plus numerous talent that shockingly decided to stay last year.

The draft appears thin next season, by all accounts.

IF Collins goes this year, he's b/w 18-25 type pick.

Next year, sans injury, he's Top-10.

Much to consider for him this off-season and I agree, much will depend on this Tournament.

75Zag
03-15-2017, 06:59 AM
Hope Collins does what he decides is right for him and his family. As a GU fan I want him to hang around another year, but I wonder how wise it is to make decisions based upon the hypothetical strength of "this year's draft" vs. "next year's draft". If all 8 of the Kentucky incoming freshman in fall of 2017 blow up into one-and-dones (as they and Coach C and the Kentucky fan base expect) then many here will argue that the 2018 draft is "too deep" and that Collins should stay at GU a 3rd year.
I tend to think that Collins needs another 20+ pounds of muscle and more upper body strength or he will be used as a floor-mop by NBA starting centers, but the question is whether he should get that muscle and strength in the GU conditioning center while attending classes on philosophy and the metaphysics of art, or in some NBA city while being paid 2 million dollars a year.

See you in SLC - and San Jose - Go Bulldogs!