PDA

View Full Version : You're an NBA GM: Lonzo or Nigel?

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 04:47 AM
I'm biased...I take Nigel, hands down. NWG is more versatile, plays defense, and you won't have LaVar second guessing you and your coach 24/7.

gonzagafan62
03-14-2017, 04:54 AM
Nigel. Wouldn't have to put up with Balls dad .... that's stressful

Coach Crazy
03-14-2017, 05:09 AM
Where am I at in the draft? What are the team needs? How much cap space do I have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ekrub
03-14-2017, 05:39 AM
London. Love nigel. One of the zags Goats, still...

cjm720
03-14-2017, 05:58 AM
Not even close...love Nigel but LB is a near generational player.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 06:03 AM

Put Nigel in a media center, and I think the conversation changes dramatically. LaVar wasn't stupid when he sent Lonzo to UCLA. Look at all the free publicity the family's getting from ESPN. UCLA better start getting their lawyers prepped when the two brothers matriculate over the next few years. Lonzo will be in the NBA next year, but this is not going to have a happy ending for UCLA.

Just my $.02.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-14-2017, 06:10 AM

Lonzo is another Michael Carter-Williams but with a bunch of hype.

bartruff1
03-14-2017, 06:25 AM
You kidding, Lonzo is better than Steph Curry ...

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 06:36 AM
Lonzo is another Michael Carter-Williams but with a bunch of hype.

Somehow, I think Lonzo will shoot better than 25% from 3 in the NBA, though your point is well taken. He just better hope he isn't drafted by the 76ers.

rennis
03-14-2017, 06:41 AM
Lonzo for sure. NWG is a fantastic guard but Ball has more NBA upside than all but one or two others in this draft, and maybe the most overall.

Goshzagit
03-14-2017, 06:46 AM
You kidding, Lonzo is better than Steph Curry ...

And Lonzo's Dad said yesterday, "Back in my heyday, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one,”

Continues to say,

“I would just back Jordan in and lift him off the ground and call a foul every time he fouls me when I do a jump hook to the right or the left,’’ Ball said. “He cannot stop me one-on-one. He better make every shot ’cause he can’t go around me. He’s not fast enough. And he can only make so many shots outside before I make every bucket under the rim.”

So, for context, LaVar Ball is currently 6-7, 270 pounds. He played basketball at Washington State where he averaged 2 points per game before transferring to Cal State – Los Angeles, a Division II program.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/lavar-ball-claims-he-could-beat-michael-jordan-one-on-one-reveals-son-lonzo-faced-ncaa-investigation/

Zagsker
03-14-2017, 06:50 AM
Obviously I am not seeing it as I wouldn't type this if I did...what exactly is the tremendous hype about LB? Granted he is a good player but I feel his ascention into this all world type player is greatly manufactured on tv. Example: The Pac 12 Tourney. Every play, and I mean every play he had was generally awarded a paragraph of superlatives from the announcers, this happened on basic passes that players make everyday. Bill Walton (and yes, he is not a shining example of objectivity) nearly came through my TV when LB appeared to create a turnover only to lose it back to USC. Walton started with a "AND LONZO..." only to cut it off when it was turned over by Ball. In watching the replay, the ball was actually just fumbled by a USC player and landed in LB hands...but BW was primed to say anything flattering as soon as the ball came anywhere near LB .

Zagsker
03-14-2017, 06:54 AM
And Lonzo's Dad said yesterday, "Back in my heyday, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one,”

Continues to say,

So, for context, LaVar Ball is currently 6-7, 270 pounds. He played basketball at Washington State where he averaged 2 points per game before transferring to Cal State – Los Angeles, a Division II program.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/lavar-ball-claims-he-could-beat-michael-jordan-one-on-one-reveals-son-lonzo-faced-ncaa-investigation/

LaVar sounds like the school yard cry baby who calls fouls everytime the ball doesn't go in.

U Zig, I Zag
03-14-2017, 06:55 AM

Continues to say,

Oh ####. That explains it. Lonzo is a the product of a Coug? He'll flame out....

ZagsObserver
03-14-2017, 07:00 AM
The Ball boys are a piece of work, and their dad is a complete moron. The two are probably related.

zagsfanforlife
03-14-2017, 07:10 AM
Lonzo seems like a decent kid actually... pretty quiet and humble.. opposite of his father.

I have seen most all UCLA games on tv living in LA. Lonzo is the real deal. Is he Jason Kidd? Time will tell.... but he has the vision, outstanding athleticism, good size, great quickness, and although his shot is one of the funkier ones i have ever seen.. he shoots it at a decent percentage. Great defender as well. I think he has the goods (if his dad doesnt drive him off the ledge).. to be a hall of famer.

His brothers on the other hand wont play in the NBA. I have also seen them play. The next one is a little overweight and the youngest is too small and will have been hyped too much. Lonzo is the dads golden ticket. The others are just there with food stamps.

basketballzag
03-14-2017, 08:45 AM
I'm biased...I take Nigel, hands down. NWG is more versatile, plays defense, and you won't have LaVar second guessing you and your coach 24/7.

Depends on where you sit as an executive, how secure your job is, and what your immediate needs are. Ball is much quicker & younger than NWG. NWG is more mature (on & off the court) and understands the intricacies of the game 1000% better than Ball. NWG will have a bigger impact in his first year than Ball IMO but Ball has a potential longer shelf-life. But you are dealing with the father who is a dangerous commodity. Fultz is in the same boat--AAU mentality.

I would draft NWG over Ball if I needed a player who will come in an contribute immediately and my team is not in a rebuilding mode. If my team is in a rebuilding mode then I pick Ball due to youth.

If I were NWG I would forgo this years NBA draft, return to school, and build up my national brand at Gonzaga to launch myself into a high 1st round pick in 2018. Right now he won't have a guarantee in the NBA coming out this year. Building up national name recognition is very important in generating endorsement deals once you do jump and those endorsement deals can trump the NBA salaries in a lot of cases. He has all the attributes but if he leaves this year he jumps into a crowded draft and his name recognition (outside of Washington State) as a player is a 3 out of 10.

Hogan
03-14-2017, 09:03 AM
It would be an interesting discussion as to who is the better college player, but as an NBA prospect it is not even close. Just look at all of the draft sites and projections. Nigel is great, great, great for the Zags, but he, unlike Lonzo, does not have the athleticism needed for the NBA.

CDC84
03-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Ball is going to have to change his shot release. That is going to be a major reconstruction job for the team that drafts him, which is why Fultz is going to go ahead of him. That shot will get blocked on a regular basis by the tall, lengthy, athletic NBA guards who will be guarding him. I actually hope that Alford and his staff and have been working with him to get the process started. No way he gets away with it in the pros.

CDC84
03-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Nigel is projected to be the 40th pick in the 2018 draft by draftexpress.com. He needs to come back. This is not the class to come out if you're a PG. Too many good ones.

basketballzag
03-14-2017, 09:09 AM
It would be an interesting discussion as to who is the better college player, but as an NBA prospect it is not even close. Just look at all of the draft sites and projections. Nigel is great, great, great for the Zags, but he, unlike Lonzo, does not have the athleticism needed for the NBA.

If you were to listen to draft sites and projections then you would have been the GM who drafted Sam Bowie. Remember him the guy who was drafted before Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, and John Stockton? There is so much more that goes into drafting players than what those draft sites or draft projection reports ever list. Ball also does not have the IQ level that Nigel does which is why you saw Sacre and others play in the league.

mzimmer
03-14-2017, 09:27 AM
No offense.... but some of you have lost your minds. There is talent, there is college talent, there is "pro", there is generational pro talent. Simmons, Ball, Durant, Stockton etc etc. all generational. Then you have Legendary status. Generational talent becomes legendary with time and success.
Goss is good. Really good. But by no means is he pro talent that cold be generational. The days of Stockton and Nash are gone. Even in their cases, they were tremendous shooters backed up by. Pass first mentality. Goss is not a pass first mentality and lacks the athletic component to score at will (Harden, Westbrook etc).

But maybe I've lost my mind. Maybe I'm to Jazz. Just maybe.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 09:38 AM
No offense.... but some of you have lost your minds. There is talent, there is college talent, there is "pro", there is generational pro talent. Simmons, Ball, Durant, Stockton etc etc. all generational. Then you have Legendary status. Generational talent becomes legendary with time and success.
Goss is good. Really good. But by no means is he pro talent that cold be generational. The days of Stockton and Nash are gone. Even in their cases, they were tremendous shooters backed up by. Pass first mentality. Goss is not a pass first mentality and lacks the athletic component to score at will (Harden, Westbrook etc).

But maybe I've lost my mind. Maybe I'm to Jazz. Just maybe.

When someone starts off a post with "no offense", I immediately channel Ricky Bobby:

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder527/64325527.jpg

KOzag08
03-14-2017, 09:38 AM
I mean ... there's a reason Ball is projected as the #1 or #2 pick and NGW isn't on most draft boards ...

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 09:45 AM
If you were to listen to draft sites and projections then you would have been the GM who drafted Sam Bowie. Remember him the guy who was drafted before Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, and John Stockton? There is so much more that goes into drafting players than what those draft sites or draft projection reports ever list. Ball also does not have the IQ level that Nigel does which is why you saw Sacre and others play in the league.

...and there were 31 teams that passed on multiple rounds in drafting Joe Montana, Tom Brady, and Dak Prescott. For NBA draft busts, here's the first link I saw:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nba-biggest-draft-busts-last-decade.html/?a=viewall Although Greg Oden is on that list, it wasn't due to a lack of talent, just bad knees.

More so, in the NBA, it's the type of system a team runs that can turn a sure-fire starter into a bust. Case in point: Adam Morrison. Charlotte ran the triangle, a system that did not take advantage of Ammo's ability to move without the ball. IMO, had he been drafted by the Suns, his career would have been far more productive.

ZagsObserver
03-14-2017, 09:49 AM
Nigel. Ball is a negative by addition. Nigel is a complete player with a great head.

bartruff1
03-14-2017, 09:54 AM
I doubt Nigel will play in the NBA...but Ball will be there for 10 years or more...he was key to the transformation of UCLA this year..

mzimmer
03-14-2017, 09:55 AM
That was good Texas. Quick pic grab as well. Nice!!!

To my point, and it's been the same with Collins.... the GMs and the people in the "know".... KNOW. And while they can be wrong, most of the time they are pretty good.

While most of this fan-based forum believe they know what's best (our forum is the exactly the same), you really don't know anything more than what your tv viewing eyeballs tell you. You ever play at this level? Any GMs calling you guys? Seems like there are a lot of folks on forums that must be getting calls.

Remember Porzingis... and the fans booing and giving the thumbs down?!?!? Accept that it's who you are. And, i think we SHOULD all agree that the mob was wrong. Porzingis is that good.

Could Goss be that good? Maybe, but the guys that are putting chips down aren't betting the farm. Collins.... betting the farm on that kid and they are probably right but could be wrong. It's simply a matter of where the leagues is going. Athletic big guys that can stretch the floor, and guards that are athletic and that can be usable shooting guards. You can fight it, not like it, feel emotional about it, but until it swings back over the next 7-10yrs or we see the next evolution, it's what you have.

Hogan
03-14-2017, 10:01 AM
I agree that Nigel has lots of great qualities that would translate very well to the NBA. But in order for those qualities to surface one must have a requisite level of athleticism There are lots of very smart, crafty, good shooting high school players who can't play D-1 basketball.To be effective in the NBA you need to be able to stay in front of ultra-quick guards and to create off the dribble. Can Nigel do this? I would love to have him in the second round, but Lonzo is clearly a top 5 pick.

FuManShoes
03-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Ball is a transcendent facilitator. Nigel is an all around great player who can exploit smaller guards but is not transcendent or all that springy. In today's NBA length and verticality are everything. Ball will get the nod every time. That's not to say NWG can't make a roster and make a team better by 1) providing good minutes off the bench and 2) teaching the kids how to play ball.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 10:07 AM
That was good Texas. Quick pic grab as well. Nice!!!

To my point, and it's been the same with Collins.... the GMs and the people in the "know".... KNOW. And while they can be wrong, most of the time they are pretty good.

While most of this fan-based forum believe they know what's best (our forum is the exactly the same), you really don't know anything more than what your tv viewing eyeballs tell you. You ever play at this level? Any GMs calling you guys? Seems like there are a lot of folks on forums that must be getting calls.

Remember Porzingis... and the fans booing and giving the thumbs down?!?!? Accept that it's who you are. And, i think we SHOULD all agree that the mob was wrong. Porzingis is that good.

Could Goss be that good? Maybe, but the guys that are putting chips down aren't betting the farm. Collins.... betting the farm on that kid and they are probably right but could be wrong. It's simply a matter of where the leagues is going. Athletic big guys that can stretch the floor, and guards that are athletic and that can be usable shooting guards. You can fight it, not like it, feel emotional about it, but until it swings back over the next 7-10yrs or we see the next evolution, it's what you have.

FWIW, Dirk wasn't exactly beloved during his early years in Dallas. Now he's a virtual deity. How many teams in the NBA have won a title with one superstar player? Yeah, Kidd was there, but he was in the twilight of his career. Now, you have guys like LeBron who whine if they don't have multiple superstars on their teams.

ETA: I appreciate the comments from all, it's been a good conversation. For all these GM's "in the know", why are at least half the teams in the NBA never in the mix for a title? Great topic for the "water cooler."

Zagnificent
03-14-2017, 10:09 AM
Lonzo Ball is the best point guard prospect I've seen in the last 20 years. The kid is an absolute stud. Look at his assists per game, and how differently UCLA functions when he's not in the game. Lonzo should be the #1 overall. While his dad is nuts, Lonzo seems relatively well adjusted. Nigel could be a decent pro with a good carer, but Lonzo is another Kyrie Irving, if not better. Those of you taking Nigel, as much as I like the kid, are off your rocker or on the cool aid.

mzimmer
03-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Texas.... yes, always outliers. And Goss could be that guy.

Pallet
03-14-2017, 10:12 AM
When I think of NWG in the NBA, I think TJ McConnell with a better jumper. McConnell is definitely a serviceable pro that can contribute, but not exactly someone that a team is built around.

seacatfan
03-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Nigel. Ball is a negative by addition. Nigel is a complete player with a great head.

Negative by addition? Do you mean because of his dad and the hype? If you mean as a bball player, you are mistaken. UCLA was basically the same team last year and finished near the bottom of the Pac 12 and sub .500 overall. Add Ball and Leaf and they won nearly 30 games during the regular season and got a #3 seed in the Tourney.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 10:16 AM
Lonzo Ball is the best point guard prospect I've seen in the last 20 years. The kid is an absolute stud. Look at his assists per game, and how differently UCLA functions when he's not in the game. Lonzo should be the #1 overall. While his dad is nuts, Lonzo seems relatively well adjusted. Nigel could be a decent pro with a good carer, but Lonzo is another Kyrie Irving, if not better. Those of you taking Nigel, as much as I like the kid, are off your rocker or on the cool aid.

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/cd/cdd1823d3a695ea59540356cd3fa47e88dca7fbe9de53398c6 d999acef4240a6.jpg

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/63568061.jpg

http://www.troll.me/images/zoidberg-time/in-need-of-an-answer-why-not-both.jpg

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Negative by addition? Do you mean because of his dad and the hype? If you mean as a bball player, you are mistaken. UCLA was basically the same team last year and finished near the bottom of the Pac 12 and sub .500 overall. Add Ball and Leaf and they won nearly 30 games during the regular season and got a #3 seed in the Tourney.

The Zags lost Wiltjer and Sabonis, let's face it the Zags lost over 60% of their scoring from a team that lost 8 games last year. Add NGW, ZC, J3, and JM, and you have a team that went 32-1 and is now a one seed.

http://www.veteransnewsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/hillary-clinton-what-difference-does-it-make.jpg

ZagsObserver
03-14-2017, 10:32 AM

That was probably too harsh. He is a distraction. Yes, his father is responsible for some of that.

Distraction has a negative impact on the team, and overall team play. His stats, in my opinion, should be compared against the negative. His net value, in my opinion, is not what many might suggest. Maybe positive still.

Zagricultural
03-14-2017, 10:53 AM
NBA: Ball. College: I'll take Nigel.

23dpg
03-14-2017, 11:23 AM
I love NWG. He's one of the top Zags ever and it's only been one year! He's my pg and there's no one I'd rather have on this team.

That being said. If I'm an NBA gm, and my last name is Williams-Goss, I still take Ball. He's a great player and a team first guy. His dad's a little bit of an issue, but not the kid's fault.
Every GM in the country would take Ball. This is not a real dilemma.

JPtheBeasta
03-14-2017, 11:27 AM
And Lonzo's Dad said yesterday, "Back in my heyday, I would kill Michael Jordan one-on-one,

Continues to say,

So, for context, LaVar Ball is currently 6-7, 270 pounds. He played basketball at Washington State where he averaged 2 points per game before transferring to Cal State Los Angeles, a Division II program.

Michael Jordan must have been a really bad basketball player.

Robzagnut
03-14-2017, 11:29 AM
I'm taking Ball.

1. Ball is a freshman. NWG is a redshirt junior. How good would Ball be in college is 3 years? Amazing.
2. My adopted team now that the Sonics are gone is the Celtics (because of KO). They are getting a Top 4 pick (hopefully) and their fans want Fultz or Ball.
3. I would take NWG in the 2nd round and get the best of both worlds.

NWG needs to listen to what Dickie V told him. If he's not a #1 pick this year, stay in school and become a #1 next year.

seacatfan
03-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Honestly, I can see an over-involved parent causing problems for a college team. But for a pro sports franchise? When has that EVER happened? I can't think of one example. It's a business. Daddy Ball is gonna be out of the loop. The GM or coach or whoever of Lonzo's future pro team aren't going to waste one second listening to "I coulda been great" Daddy or otherwise dealing with him.

edited--some dad's were involved in draft day shenanigans--Elways and Mannings, I'm looking at you. But after draft day Junior has to go to work for the people signing his paychecks and it's in his best interest to keep the front office happy, never mind what daddy thinks.

seacatfan
03-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Tex, are you trying to break a forum single day record for number of memes posted?

northsidezagfan
03-14-2017, 11:53 AM
I don't really buy all of the Ball hype, but I'd still take him. And I love Nigel.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Tex, are you trying to break a forum single day record for number of memes posted?

Let's just say that it's been a target-rich environment today. Besides, I understand that nobody really gives a damn about what I have to say, it's a luxury afforded to most sexagenarians...and parents, too.

https://evtgmedia.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/what-if-i-told-you-create-meme.jpg

maynard g krebs
03-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Lotta homer nonsense in this thread. Ball transformed the culture at UCLA. Brilliant, gifted, totally unselfish player whose passing and court awareness has infected UCLA's entire roster in a totally positive way. 15-17 or something like that to 29-4 says it all. Generational player as someone said above. Winner, creator for others. I can't imagine why anyone would take Fultz, Jackson, or anyone else first in the draft. I don't watch the NBA, but I think Ball will play in 10 all star games as a Laker.

His jackass of a father doesn't seem to be having any negative effect on his team, so I think that's a non starter.

NWG is a great college player, and probably a nice NBA backup, but he's been talking about going pro since his fr year at UW and is now in his 4th college year.

ZagsObserver
03-14-2017, 12:15 PM
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Mojo13
03-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Whelp...this thread just proved to me this board is 90% comprised of completely bias homers.
The OP's question is not a serious conversation on any other basketball message board. I once thought this was a relatively objective group here. No longer.

The Kool-Aid has been drank...drunk...drunked...let's just say consumed.

seacatfan
03-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Truth bomb from Maynard.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Lotta homer nonsense in this thread. Ball transformed the culture at UCLA. Brilliant, gifted, totally unselfish player whose passing and court awareness has infected UCLA's entire roster in a totally positive way. 15-17 or something like that to 29-4 says it all. Generational player as someone said above. Winner, creator for others. I can't imagine why anyone would take Fultz, Jackson, or anyone else first in the draft. I don't watch the NBA, but I think Ball will play in 10 all star games as a Laker.

His jackass of a father doesn't seem to be having any negative effect on his team, so I think that's a non starter.

NWG is a great college player, and probably a nice NBA backup, but he's been talking about going pro since his fr year at UW and is now in his 4th college year.

How do you know he'll be drafted by the Lakers? What if the 76ers draft him?

ZagsObserver
03-14-2017, 01:08 PM
No one asked for a talent evaluation. It was a question about value to a team. I happen to think value and talent are not synonymous.

nish_mode
03-14-2017, 01:32 PM
As much as I love Nigel, I'm taking Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball, Malik Monk, etc. The upside is not there with Nigel, he's as good as he's going to get. Maybe he can work on his three point shot but some of those other guys already have that as Freshman.

He'll be there in the second round in 2018 or you can sign him as a FA in 2017 if someone loved him that much.

bartruff1
03-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Nigel will make big bucks and see much of the world playing basketball if that is what he wants to do....but

IMHO , he will accomplish much more important things in life than playing basketball, he is truly a outstanding young man of character and skill with a very bright future..

MileHigh
03-14-2017, 04:36 PM
As someone that watches way more NBA than college ball, I can say there is no question which one is the better pro prospect, Ball is bigger, more athletic, a better passer, better vision, better 3 point shooter......not sure NWG does anything consisitantly "better" than Ball. Not to mention Ball is 3 years younger with more room for improvement.

Personally i like Fultz more than Ball. I think he will be a 20 ppg guy out the gate

23dpg
03-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Whelp...this thread just proved to me this board is 90% comprised of completely bias homers.
The OP's question is not a serious conversation on any other basketball message board. I once thought this was a relatively objective group here. No longer.

The Kool-Aid has been drank...drunk...drunked...let's just say consumed.

Bad metrics/math. Just because a few posters support NWG, it does not mean that this board is 90% homers. My guess is that if you polled the thousands of board members, and got their honest answer, 90% would take Ball. Most people don't reply to any post, let alone one they think is evident.

maynard g krebs
03-14-2017, 07:19 PM
How do you know he'll be drafted by the Lakers? What if the 76ers draft him?

The NBA seems to get players to where they want them to be. I don't "know" anything, but I'd give you 2 to 1 odds on a 50 cent bet he winds up in LA.

Mojo13
03-14-2017, 10:27 PM
The NBA seems to get players to where they want them to be. I don't "know" anything, but I'd give you 2 to 1 odds on a 50 cent bet he winds up in LA.

I'd take that bet. Lakers seem to only have a 50/50 shot of even keeping their pick. And that could get worse depending on how they finish.
However the low IQ media here in LA is clamoring for the Lakers to get Ball, as is his loud mouth father.
I am not sure those with a half a brain want that to happen though. Unfortunatley if Magic and Jeannie are calling the shots no one has any idea what might happen. Those two might trade the entire youth core for some past prime big name "star". Knicks West is my ongoing fear.

zagfan24
03-15-2017, 02:28 AM
I know a lot of great people with some really not-so-great parents. Lonzo should be judged on his own skill and actions, not those of his father. I love NWG, but Ball is incredible.

DixieZag
03-15-2017, 04:17 AM
The NBA is much like the NFL with respect to whether one is a valued prospect. One can have all the skill/smarts in the world and if one isn't big enough, fast enough, strong enough, the talent doesn't overlap. What I've read about Ball is he has both.

Zagger
03-15-2017, 04:24 AM
I wouldn't mind all this speculation if Spokane had a NBA team :)

TexasZagFan
03-15-2017, 04:53 AM
I'd take that bet. Lakers seem to only have a 50/50 shot of even keeping their pick. And that could get worse depending on how they finish.
However the low IQ media here in LA is clamoring for the Lakers to get Ball, as is his loud mouth father.
I am not sure those with a half a brain want that to happen though. Unfortunatley if Magic and Jeannie are calling the shots no one has any idea what might happen. Those two might trade the entire youth core for some past prime big name "star". Knicks West is my ongoing fear.

The track record of former NBA stars running the show for an NBA is not very scintillating. Pat Riley is an exception, but he's been doing it for 20+ years.

maynard g krebs
03-15-2017, 02:01 PM
I'd take that bet. Lakers seem to only have a 50/50 shot of even keeping their pick. And that could get worse

When Kareem retired, the Lakers had the 27th pick or so. Vlade Divac, a skilled 7 footer, was 7 to 10 in every single mock, and "somehow" slid to the Lakers at 27. They then parlayed that into getting the 13th pick for Divac a bit later, which turned out to be Kobe Bryant, picked after such luminaries as Todd Fuller and Vitaly Potapenko.

The NBA, like pro wrestling, is "sports entertainment", and the business model requires having stars in major markets a lot of the time. That's the basis for my assumption, anyway. It's like when Ewing went to the Knicks; I called that before the "draft", as did a lot of others. We'll see, I guess.