PDA

View Full Version : Withers: The Whole Enchilada

sittingon50
03-13-2017, 08:10 PM
http://www.gloryhounds.net/whatsnew/view/294257/what-zag-fans-are-thinking

adoptedzag
03-13-2017, 08:22 PM
http://www.gloryhounds.net/whatsnew/view/294257/what-zag-fans-are-thinking

I'm with the radio jockeys. I'd rather strike out swinging for the fences.

CDC84
03-13-2017, 09:25 PM
I often compare Few to his friend and Zag-supporter Gary Williams....the former coach at Maryland. Gary coached for years and years getting all sorts of criticism for not getting to the final 4 (never mind that Duke and UNC were in his league!). But in the early 2000's, his team all of a sudden got to the promised land. He lost in the national semis. But he came back the next year with one of my favorite college basketball players of all time, Juan Dixon, and won the national title. I believe that MD team is the only team to win the national title without a single McDonald's AA (did Nova have one last year??).

Coaches often need a final 4 breakthrough before they are able to win it all. Probably for two reasons: 1) when the second final 4 happens, the coach is much better prepared for what to expect. There are countless distractions. It's a gosh dang 3 ring circus. 2) the final 4 run enables you grab a player or two who you wouldn't have normally gotten without the final 4 run that enables you to win those one or two extra games.

kclubfounder
03-13-2017, 09:33 PM
I was listening when Dave Softy Mahler made the comments. I love Softy and am with him in every sport but one. Softy HATES Gonzaga basketball because he LOVES everything related to the UW. If one LOVES Husky basketball then they hate the Zags, and I'm cool with that.

Anyway, he thinks if you are a Gonzaga fan you'd be pretty lame to take a guaranteed Final 4 and give up the chance at winning it all. I completely agree.

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!

Zagricultural
03-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Give me the guarantee. Gets the monkey off our back, improves recruiting, and gives us a new goal for next year.

zagfan24
03-14-2017, 02:50 AM
OT, but I just finished Glory Hounds and cannot recommend the book highly enough to Zags fans. It is truly a must read.

Zagger
03-14-2017, 03:07 AM
You can bet that the team has "The Whole Enchilada" at heart. But, right now they have SDS on their minds.
Go Zags! Beat South Dakota State!

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 04:39 AM
OT, but I just finished Glory Hounds and cannot recommend the book highly enough to Zags fans. It is truly a must read.

My copy arrived last week, it's my son's reading assignment for Spring Break. First couple of chapters are great.

rennis
03-14-2017, 07:03 AM
We have less than a 50/50 shot of making the final four based on the 538 projections. Bud is right, you take the guaranteed Final Four 10/10 times if you could choose objectively.

Let's make this about money instead of sports. Would you take a guaranteed $5,000 right now, or we flip a coin 6 times and you get $10,000 (hell, $25,000) if it comes up heads every time, but ONLY if it comes up heads every time? GU's odds of winning their first 3 games are better than 50/50, but go down substantially from there...

webspinnre
03-14-2017, 07:18 AM
I guess I'm in the minority as well, as I'd take the guaranteed Final Four.

Let's make this about money instead of sports. Would you take a guaranteed $5,000 right now, or we flip a coin 6 times and you get $10,000 (hell, $25,000) if it comes up heads every time, but ONLY if it comes up heads every time? GU's odds of winning their first 3 games are better than 50/50, but go down substantially from there...

For the math on that to work, you'd need to be getting 640,000 for getting 6 straight heads. Even still, given my more risk-averse nature, I'd probably take the 5k.

CdAZagFan
03-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Give me the guarantee. Gets the monkey off our back, improves recruiting, and gives us a new goal for next year.

I'm really torn on this one, but I would lean toward this...

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 10:53 AM

For the math on that to work, you'd need to be getting 640,000 for getting 6 straight heads. Even still, given my more risk-averse nature, I'd probably take the 5k.

Give me the $5K, I'm off to Vegas to lay it all on the UConn women against the field, which will add another $1500 (?) to my haul...wowee!!!

rennis
03-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Exactly! that's how ludicrous this question is, and your math illustrates it perfectly. My $5k vs. $25k was an arbitrary figure I pulled out of thin air to represent the utility the average fan would get out of either outcome. Their chances of winning it all are pretty slim by any measure. Anyone with ANY kind of risk aversion would absolutely take the Final Four in this scenario. And not just this year. The math is essentially always the same

229SintoZag
03-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Those who would take a final four in exchange for a guaranty that we lose in the national semifinals are misguided.

If Gonzaga did that, nobody would remember that we were one of the semifinal losers. Nobody remembers those teams; folks only remember the finalists and winners.

Plus, if Gonzaga made the final four and lost, the new narrative would be "Few has only made one final four in 18 appearances, and Gonzaga choked in the final four."

The only way to shut up the haters is to win a title. There is no rejoinder to a championship. A championship is always the last word.