PDA

View Full Version : OT - hilarious (but sad) tweet from Illinois State coach Muller

CDC84
03-13-2017, 08:42 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18898709/dan-muller-illinois-state-redbirds-coach-tweets-search-power-5-opponents

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6zN_6dVwAcs54Z.jpg:small

This guy has apparently offered to do 2 for ones, and still the BCS teams won't go for it. I feel sorry for the guy, but he's either going to have to agree to straight ahead buy games, or seek out schools like VCU and Belmont that are similar to his team to better his resume. It still befuddles me though how 14 loss BCS teams can get in the dance over a team like this that won over 80% of its games.

Hoopaholic
03-13-2017, 10:30 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18898709/dan-muller-illinois-state-redbirds-coach-tweets-search-power-5-opponents

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6zN_6dVwAcs54Z.jpg:small

This guy has apparently offered to do 2 for ones, and still the BCS teams won't go for it. I feel sorry for the guy, but he's either going to have to agree to straight ahead buy games, or seek out schools like VCU and Belmont that are similar to his team to better his resume. It still befuddles me though how 14 loss BCS teams can get in the dance over a team like this that won over 80% of its games.

NCAA needs to mandate power 5 to play non league options or this will continue

gonzagafan62
03-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Mid majors need to man up and do buy ins .... this is the system. Major programs have season ticket packages they need to sell with 15 or so home games non conference.

I'm sorry I don't feel sorry for this guy or program. They need to man up and play the buy in games. Nobody is going to go to Normal, IL and play next year when Illinois State may not even be good. Stop wasting time with phone calls for 2-1. Go play the game, get the W and leave.

Pretty simple, minus the W

sittingon50
03-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Mid majors need to man up and do buy ins .... this is the system. Major programs have season ticket packages they need to sell with 15 or so home games non conference.

I'm sorry I don't feel sorry for this guy or program. They need to man up and play the buy in games. Nobody is going to go to Normal, IL and play next year when Illinois State may not even be good. Stop wasting time with phone calls for 2-1. Go play the game, get the W and leave.

True to a point '62, but there was a time when GU tried to schedule P5 schools on the road, no return, and were told "no, you guys are too good."

gonzagafan62
03-13-2017, 10:54 AM
True to a point '62, but there was a time when GU tried to schedule P5 schools on the road, no return, and were told "no, you guys are too good."

That's true too

SWZag
03-13-2017, 10:55 AM

Name a non-P5 school that can afford to pay P5 schools to play a game, let alone more than one game a year.

Hoopaholic
03-13-2017, 11:14 AM

How do you force p5 to agree to. It in games

gonzagafan62
03-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Name a non-P5 school that can afford to pay P5 schools to play a game, let alone more than one game a year.

I'm talking make the power conference teams pay teams like Illinois state 50K or whatever and Illinois state go up there and try to get the W.

ZagsObserver
03-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Power conference teams don't need the risk. Mid-majors need the tough games ooc to prove themselves because of the cupcakes in the league. It makes perfect sense that the mid majors make the concessions to get the games (2 for 1 or buy games). Those that want to play hardball are taking on risk (randy lost out last year because of this mindset).

CDC84
03-13-2017, 11:37 AM
And with more expansion coming - I believe the ACC is going to a 20 game league sked or something like that in 2019 - there is going to less room than ever for Illinois State to get chances.

The best way to get out of this thing is to do what GU did.....play any BCS team on the road who will take you, and more importantly, play high quality mid majors that will be fighting for tourney bids like you.....kind of like how Gonzaga and St. Joe's used to play.

MileHigh
03-13-2017, 11:51 AM
I see where it would be befuddling if the committee were selecting the teams that had the "best season" or "best record" something that is easily quantifiable, but that isn't their job. They are tasked with selecting the "best" (subjective) 36 teams, which requires them to literally match teams up on paper and determine which team would win on a neutral court. There are quantifiable criteria that they use in this beauty contest like, road wins, wins against top 50 teams, strength of schedule, etc, but at the end of the day they have to think your team is better than another team (last team out). I know fans of mid majors think it's unfair, but it really isn't. Comparing Illinois States conference record to Vanderbilts conference record is Apples to Oranges because their competition is so different.

I think generally speaking, they do a pretty good job, year in and year out, with those last 4 or 5 teams that get in

TexasZagFan
03-13-2017, 11:57 AM
And with more expansion coming - I believe the ACC is going to a 20 game league sked or something like that in 2019 - there is going to less room than ever for Illinois State to get chances.

The best way to get out of this thing is to do what GU did.....play any BCS team on the road who will take you, and more importantly, play high quality mid majors that will be fighting for tourney bids like you.....kind of like how Gonzaga and St. Joe's used to play.

I know this will never happen, but my solution revolves around cold, hard cash. Don't limit the number of teams from a conference in the Dance, limit the payouts, i.e. if the Pac-12 had 10 schools in the tournament, limit the payout to the equivalent of six teams in the dance. Send the extra money to conferences that had only autobids, but specify it be used for basketball purposes: i.e. recruiting, training facilities, etc.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2017, 12:00 PM
How do you force p5 to agree to. It in games

You cannot force anyone to do anything. I don't think that's right - or the solution either. But you also can't tell me fringe bubble teams wouldn't play these games. Wake forest Vandy Kansas state .... you're telling me one of those type teams wouldn't have played Illinois state on a buy in?

Wichita played a few good P5 teams. I know they also played Oklahoma (although turns out they sucked) lol

CDC84
03-13-2017, 12:19 PM
The only thing that could happen is if the NCAA committee takes up the righteous cause of mid majors and starts penalizing BCS'ers who don't schedule mid majors, but I don't see that happening.....not when the BCS teams draw the TV dollars.

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 01:00 PM
So apparently we need a scheduling czar to approve of every school's schedule. Who gets that job? If the NCAA handles it, do you actually trust them to do it correctly?

zagirl2k
03-13-2017, 02:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C60iXFTWsAApgRq.jpg

Looks like he got at least one game out of it with Ole Miss. There is a mutual connection between the programs with the coach who died in the plane crash.

Still feel for programs getting criticized for not scheduling well enough when no one is willing to play them.