PDA

View Full Version : My dream is to beat Arizona

gonzagafan62
03-12-2017, 10:39 PM
First of all, any trip to the final four would be GREAT!!!!!!!!

Not only would that mean we would've made it to (at least) the elite eight, and call me crazy for wanting Arizona.... I don't care. One of the few things left this program hasn't done is Make the final four, win the whole thing and beat Arizona in the tournament.

Arizona is significant to me for several reasons.

National power that would give a Fonal Four to talking heads legitimacy
Blake Stepp 2003 and his missed shot
Seems like if we beat them there's always an asterisk
Wiltjers missed three to tie the game in 2015 in overtime
2008 or 2009 can't remember been too many years... we lost to unranked Arizona when we were #5 in country. Arizonas beaten us too much. Don't hate them mad respect just want our turn!

Yes I know they were without 93 Michael Jordan and 87 Larry bird but I don't care. You know what would be sweet?

Mano e Mano ...... who's to make their first final four? Mark Few or Sean Miller? Sweet revenge right down to the bitter end, Gonzaga knocks off Arizona for a trip to final four in Arizonas home state???? How much better could it get.

I have a dream .......

It can happen. I believe.

Again, any trip to the final four would be great.... but this would cap off a great story for this program and a story for ANY sports lover at all. The little engine that could turning into a freight train baby!

Go damn zags

Zags11
03-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Its a solid path for us to make elite 8/final 4 run. We should make elite 8 with game on the line. Be strange if it was smc vs zags for final 4 trip. Lol

gonzagafan62
03-12-2017, 11:15 PM
Its a solid path for us to make elite 8/final 4 run. We should make elite 8 with game on the line. Be strange if it was smc vs zags for final 4 trip. Lol

I wouldn't rule out SMC beating Arizona ....

rawkmandale
03-13-2017, 03:11 AM
Nice post. My personal connection is that my oldest son went to college at Arizona, and he loves them still. Gonzaga is his second favorite team, so he might be conflicted. I guess I feel that if Gonzaga doesn't win the whole think, I would like Arizona to do so. And yes, St. Mary's could possibly beat them.

Ekrub
03-13-2017, 05:31 AM

Can you imagine an e8 match up, zags vs gaels.... don't know if I could take that pressure.

Bogozags
03-13-2017, 06:11 AM
Can you imagine an e8 match up, zags vs gaels.... don't know if I could take that pressure.

I am not seeing the easy road that many of you see in our region. I believe we beat the 16 seed but then we have to play either NU or VU...I believe we can win the 8/9 game too BUT we will have to play a very good game. Now the S16 is a different story...I see ND making it past the five seed and then beating WVU because they have good guards and should be able to "shoot over WVU's zone defence" and this is the game that to me is going to be our toughest of the season. ND will be our greatest challenge...they are an outstanding jump shot shooting team, are excellent at the FT line and then there is Bonzi Colson. He is IMO the best little big man they have had since Kelly Tripucka and Adrian Dantley. He is their "post player" but also has the best 3pt percentage on the team...he is a crazy good rebounder averaging over 10 per game and he goes after rebounds outside of his area...he will be incredible difficult to guard...JWIII might be able to play with him but then who does PK guard? They have big guards and play eight players like we do...they are disciplined and only turned the ball over six times in their loss to Duke.

IMO I believe we make it to the S16 and then have the game of our season against ND (yes, I feel confident that ND will make it past WVU)...ND is good enough to make the FF just like we are...

Oh, regarding SMC, let's just hope they can win their first game against VCU and then most probably play one of the most athletic teams in the tournament, FSU before they can even get to AZ...BUT if they do win and we win and met in the EE, I believe we beat them handily...

willandi
03-13-2017, 06:17 AM
I am not seeing the easy road that many of you see in our region. I believe we beat the 16 seed but then we have to play either NU or VU...I believe we can win the 8/9 game too BUT we will have to play a very good game. Now the S16 is a different story...I see ND making it past the five seed and then beating WVU because they have good guards and should be able to "shoot over WVU's zone defence" and this is the game that to me is going to be our toughest of the season. ND will be our greatest challenge...they are an outstanding jump shot shooting team, are excellent at the FT line and then there is Bonzi Colson. He is IMO the best little big man they have had since Kelly Tripucka and Adrian Dantley. He is their "post player" but also has the best 3pt percentage on the team...he is a crazy good rebounder averaging over 10 per game and he goes after rebounds outside of his area...he will be incredible difficult to guard...JWIII might be able to play with him but then who does PK guard? They have big guards and play eight players like we do...they are disciplined and only turned the ball over six times in their loss to Duke.

IMO I believe we make it to the S16 and then have the game of our season against ND (yes, I feel confident that ND will make it past WVU)...ND is good enough to make the FF just like we are...

Oh, regarding SMC, let's just hope they can win their first game against Xavier and then most probably play one of the most athletic teams in the tournament, FSU before they can even get to AZ...BUT if they do win and we win and met in the EE, I believe we beat them handily...

You could be right about ND and who does Karno guard, but the opposite is also true...who guards the Karnivore? Inside until they double then back out, or under, for the shot!

Reborn
03-13-2017, 06:18 AM
:My dream has been and still is to make it to the Final Four. It's been Mark Few's and Tommy Lloyd's dream too. You must read Brave Heart if you haven't. From the very beginning they had a dream and a way to make that dream come true. They had a plan and have been following it. And now they're right there knocking on the door. I have also had a plan for making the dream come true, and I have followed it the best that I can. As a fan I have been a believer in The Dream from the very first time I read Brave Heart. And I have tried to spread this belief in Mark Few's and Tommy Lloyd's plan here on GUboards. Every since high school when I read The Power of Positive Thinking I have consistently tried to use this power to make my dreams come true. I feel I've done a pretty good job of doing that too.

This has been a year of breakthroughs. It's been a breakthrough for Northwestern who has made it to The Dance for the very first time. I love listening to interviews with Chris Collins. He's certainly a dreamer and believer in dreams come true. And this can certainly be the year for Gonzaga and Mark Few to have a breakthrough too. I know that fans here on this forum have been believers all year too. So everyone, let's not stop believing now. It's going to be much tougher now to believe, and it seems like many of you are losing your belief some. Try your hardest to keep believing and to remain positive. Yes, There will be teams that are going to be really hard to beat. And as we look at a few of those teams, don't let fear slip in. BELIEVE. Enjoy the ride, one day at a time.

Zagsker
03-13-2017, 06:38 AM

Oh, regarding SMC, let's just hope they can win their first game against Xavier and then most probably play one of the most athletic teams in the tournament, FSU before they can even get to AZ...BUT if they do win and we win and met in the EE, I believe we beat them handily...

If SMC, was able to beat Xavier and THEN FSU..before they played Arizona...that would be the most incredible tourney event we all have ever seen

webspinnre
03-13-2017, 07:07 AM
If SMC, was able to beat Xavier and THEN FSU..before they played Arizona...that would be the most incredible tourney event we all have ever seen

I see what you did there.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2017, 08:07 AM
SMC plays VCU for the record.

Secondly Notre Dame plays Princeton on the first tip off I believe. That's no easy game for them. Neither is it going to be easy for West Virginia to beat bucknell.

Also, let's not forget here, that yes while Vanderbilt and northwestern are really good Vanderbilt is used to losing. 15 times most in NCAA tournament selection. Northwestern would be a tougher but still feasible matchup. I don't think they can guard us

Bogozags
03-13-2017, 09:41 AM
SMC plays VCU for the record.

Secondly Notre Dame plays Princeton on the first tip off I believe. That's no easy game for them. Neither is it going to be easy for West Virginia to beat bucknell.

Also, let's not forget here, that yes while Vanderbilt and northwestern are really good Vanderbilt is used to losing. 15 times most in NCAA tournament selection. Northwestern would be a tougher but still feasible matchup. I don't think they can guard us

Sorry All! Don't know where I got Xavier mixed up with VCU...

SO if SMC beats VCU then...

You are absolutely right that Princeton could well beat ND; however, on the premiss they do and then meet WVU in the 4 vs 5 game, I believe ND survives their pressure and wins.

One other think regarding teams with losing records in the Dance...since this is a one game at a time tournament where the loser is gone, records really don't have a bearing IMO...Vandy has beaten some pretty good teams and has also lost to some pretty good and quite poor teams...if we play them then PK will get to play against another 7-footer...

Heck, there are no guarantees that lower numbered seed will win so this is all just guess work...

To make one thing clear, I do hope we play AZ one more time and silence these critics for this year at least...

GO ZAGS

CDC84
03-13-2017, 10:01 AM
This such a tough deal, because Sean Miller and Mark Few are probably the two best coaches in college basketball that have not gotten to the final four. The Cats have been dealt a couple of bad breaks. One year they were forced to face a Wisconsin team that should've been the number one seed in the east, not the west. Then you had the Brandon Ashley injury in 2014 when Arizona was by far and away the best team in the nation.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Sorry All! Don't know where I got Xavier mixed up with VCU...

SO if SMC beats VCU then...

You are absolutely right that Princeton could well beat ND; however, on the premiss they do and then meet WVU in the 4 vs 5 game, I believe ND survives their pressure and wins.

One other think regarding teams with losing records in the Dance...since this is a one game at a time tournament where the loser is gone, records really don't have a bearing IMO...Vandy has beaten some pretty good teams and has also lost to some pretty good and quite poor teams...if we play them then PK will get to play against another 7-footer...

Heck, there are no guarantees that lower numbered seed will win so this is all just guess work...

To make one thing clear, I do hope we play AZ one more time and silence these critics for this year at least...

GO ZAGS

Great post. Totally agree

maynard g krebs
03-13-2017, 11:21 AM
Oh, regarding SMC, let's just hope they can win their first game against VCU and then most probably play one of the most athletic teams in the tournament, FSU before they can even get to AZ...

SMC would play Az in the 2-7 game and if they won, would then play FSU if both got that far.

Zag_Dad
03-13-2017, 11:59 AM

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/130346/bracket-tips-from-the-basketball-power-index

BPI analysis has GU and SMC playing in elite eight. I just don't see SMC getting past Zona, but I would LOVE to see us beat SMC for the 4th time this year.

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 01:07 PM
I don't put as much faith in these predictive modeling analytics as some of you do. SMC has a couple good wins this year over Dayton and Nevada. That's it. I don't give them much credit for beating BYU 3 times. Stanford finished tied for 9th in the Pac 12 and had a losing record for the season. Gonzaga handled SMC 3 times this year. The Gaels battled for a while but just could not hang against a team of GU's caliber. What has SMC done this year that gives any indication they could beat Arizona and then Maryland or Florida St.? I just don't see it. I think there's very little chance SMC gets as far as the Elite 8. We'll see.

gonzagafan62
03-13-2017, 02:15 PM
I don't put as much faith in these predictive modeling analytics as some of you do. SMC has a couple good wins this year over Dayton and Nevada. That's it. I don't give them much credit for beating BYU 3 times. Stanford finished tied for 9th in the Pac 12 and had a losing record for the season. Gonzaga handled SMC 3 times this year. The Gaels battled for a while but just could not hang against a team of GU's caliber. What has SMC done this year that gives any indication they could beat Arizona and then Maryland or Florida St.? I just don't see it. I think there's very little chance SMC gets as far as the Elite 8. We'll see.

I do wanna be honest. I don't know how well SMC will do against VCU. That's a tough game for SMC. But if SMC gets to play Arizona.... I could see it being closer.

I think we are headed for a GU/AZ final. I hope so. I don't think any of the teams match up well with GU or AZ but crazy things have happened.