PDA

View Full Version : Please open and read re the network talking heads

ScrapironJim
03-12-2017, 10:04 PM
Two things about the network talking heads:
1. They will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, favor the Zags.
2. They will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, matter.

Relax and enjoy the ride with your favorite team. This Zag fan believes it will be an exciting trip.

WE ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

demian
03-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Two things about the network talking heads:
1. They will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, favor the Zags.
2. They will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, matter.

Relax and enjoy the ride with your favorite team. This Zag fan believes it will be an exciting trip.

WE ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an EXCELLENT post. Agreed!

CDC84
03-12-2017, 10:49 PM
Katz has picked them to win the national title.

Whoops!

Virginia Zags Fan
03-12-2017, 11:36 PM
I agree with point 2 and the last paragraph of the OP whole heartedly!

The talking heads are there to stir things up and get ratings. Me on the other hand. I am cruising to SLC to support the Zags! Was thinking about buying a boat. Maybe next year:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robzagnut
03-12-2017, 11:54 PM
On the ESPN special Dickie V picked Gonzaga to get to the championship game.

rawkmandale
03-13-2017, 03:06 AM
The older play-by-play guy, who did many Gonzaga games this year, (is it Adrian Branch?) seems to think that Gonzaga is a special team. I don't recall his specific predictions, however. He seemed incredulous that a 3-2 vote of "experts" picking Notre Dame over Gonzaga occurred tonight. His facial expression was "really WTF?" after he voted Gonzaga, and three others didn't.

MileHigh
03-13-2017, 04:06 AM
On the ESPN post announcement show where they break down all the brackets, Dan Dakich gave the Zags the hand wave and said "they are nothing special, to me they are Purdue. Real good team, but remind me of Purdue"

WTF? I know he coached at Indiana and is a Big 10 guy, but the Purdue comparison was completely out of left field. Not to mention they are a 4 seed

ZagMan in Philly
03-13-2017, 04:16 AM
The older play-by-play guy, who did many Gonzaga games this year, (is it Adrian Branch?) seems to think that Gonzaga is a special team. I don't recall his specific predictions, however. He seemed incredulous that a 3-2 vote of "experts" picking Notre Dame over Gonzaga occurred tonight. His facial expression was "really WTF?" after he voted Gonzaga, and three others didn't.

Dino Gaudio was one of the three, and even said VCU will destroy Gaels.
I stopped watching after that.

Zagsker
03-13-2017, 05:01 AM
Man, as a collective we sure piss n moan about the media A LOT

scrooner
03-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Lunardi just picked Gonzaga to win the tournament.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18896904/bold-predictions-ncaa-tournament

Virginia Zags Fan
03-13-2017, 08:14 AM

Agree 100%. I absolutely love it when the Zags prove these guys wrong. Conversely, we sound pretty whiny and insecure about our team at times.

SWZag
03-13-2017, 08:53 AM

People don't like to listen to other people's opinions and if they differ from theirs, they call them names (see other threads).

Everyone has their opinion. Let them speak their opinion and realize they have a different viewpoint.

Everyone has their knowledge of the team. Some people think that these talking heads should know about this team as much as its diehard fans, which is unrealistic.

Zagceo
03-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Andy Katz just picked UCLA vs Zags in NC game with Zags winning it all

demian
03-13-2017, 10:22 AM

AGREED

BBzag
03-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Lunardi just picked Gonzaga to win the tournament.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18896904/bold-predictions-ncaa-tournament

Myron Medcalf, too (he wrote the article under the Lunardi video)

CDC84
03-13-2017, 11:42 AM

That would be the ultimate, I mean the ultimate revenge for that damn sweet 16 game.

ScrapironJim
03-13-2017, 12:15 PM

Yes, sir. The purpose of my post was to suggest that we all ignore the talking heads because we allow them to diminish the sheer joy of being a Zag fan.

IGNORE THEM!!!!!!

WE ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonzdb8
03-13-2017, 12:24 PM
and even said VCU will destroy Gaels.
I stopped watching after that.

so them suggesting a gaels loss is what finally drove you to stop watching? why? it doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility. not sure they'll destroy them but VCU matches up well and it wouldn't shock me to see them win by double digits.

ScrapironJim
03-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Yes, sir. The purpose of my post was to suggest that we all ignore the talking heads because we allow them to diminish the sheer joy of being a Zag fan.

IGNORE THEM!!!!!!

Also, I view the talking heads as a group - the mass of on-screen and print media sports commentators. The exceptions stated above actually prove the rule.

IGNORE THEM!!!!!!

gueastcoast
03-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Perhaps I am drawing a distinction without a difference, but I think what riles Zag Nation and gives rise to the moaning is not that the media talks smack about us (try being a Kentucky fan in a down year at UK) in any given season, but that it's always the SAME uninformed smack, year in and year out.

A clown like Dakich can say that a school like Kentucky or Florida State or Oregon may not make it out of the first weekend, and it's not an indictment of those programs, nor is it necessarily dismissive -- it's an opinion about the quality (or momentum, or matchups, or injuries, etc.) of this year's team at that school.

With GU, so much of the coverage is plainly dismissive -- Bill Walton during the Pac-12 final was a perfect example of this. To be so utterly disrespectful and dismissive of a program -- ours or anyone else's, but particularly ours given what we've accomplished this year, and Few has accomplished in his tenure -- in the face of all the objective analytics is the sports equivalent of "fake news", on steroids.

Zaga
03-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Finally the veil has been lifted. Alternatively... Warren Buffet is paying him under the table. Go Zag's

#runthetable

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 01:13 PM

Ditto. This board has at times been not worth visiting this year. The fantastic 32-1 season has been overshadowed at times by the whining of the fan base.

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 01:16 PM
Perhaps I am drawing a distinction without a difference, but I think what riles Zag Nation and gives rise to the moaning is not that the media talks smack about us (try being a Kentucky fan in a down year at UK) in any given season, but that it's always the SAME uninformed smack, year in and year out.

A clown like Dakich can say that a school like Kentucky or Florida State or Oregon may not make it out of the first weekend, and it's not an indictment of those programs, nor is it necessarily dismissive -- it's an opinion about the quality (or momentum, or matchups, or injuries, etc.) of this year's team at that school.

With GU, so much of the coverage is plainly dismissive -- Bill Walton during the Pac-12 final was a perfect example of this. To be so utterly disrespectful and dismissive of a program -- ours or anyone else's, but particularly ours given what we've accomplished this year, and Few has accomplished in his tenure -- in the face of all the objective analytics is the sports equivalent of "fake news", on steroids.

Walton also was completely dismissive of the Big 12 Conference and acted as though Kansas is a non entity. He's a blowhard and isn't worth listening to.

gwalker
03-13-2017, 02:44 PM
I got sick of listening to the talking heads saying Gonzaga shouldn't be a 1 seed.

bartruff1
03-13-2017, 02:53 PM
They don't bother me...I think they are amazing, yes I know there have teleprompters and cheat sheets and interns...but to remember dozens of teams and hundreds of players...that is impressive to me...