PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota St. Jackrabbits ( Thurs, 11:00 am, TBS )

Ekrub
03-12-2017, 02:32 PM
187 on kenpom. 62nd on our, 307th on d. What else do we know?

zagirl2k
03-12-2017, 02:35 PM
187 on kenpom. 62nd on our, 307th on d. What else do we know?

Their big guy Daum is a stud. Don't know who/what else they have.

rawkmandale
03-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Didn't we play them a couple of years ago? If so, I have a vague memory that their coach and Mark Few are friends? Please correct me if not true.

katman50
03-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Their record is 18-16.

gu03alum
03-12-2017, 02:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHAgCoY9qbM

MJ777
03-12-2017, 02:47 PM
They have nothing to lose. Are they better than Santa Clara?

gu03alum
03-12-2017, 02:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_XcWHX3ZmY

seacatfan
03-12-2017, 02:51 PM
They don't have a short, chubby center who will have a career game shooting 3's against the Zags like North Dakota St. did, do they?

Birddog
03-12-2017, 02:53 PM
They don't have a short, chubby center who will have a career game shooting 3's against the Zags like North Dakota St. did, do they?

Oh the horror!

caduceus
03-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Notable games vs. top 100:

Rank 31 Dec. 22 Away Wichita State L 67-89
Rank 54 Nov. 11 Away California L 53-82
Rank 55 Nov. 26 Neutral E. Tennessee State L 59-71

The remainder of their opponents were out of the top 100.

Their best win is twice against #116 South Dakota (and they lost to them once also).

RPI rank is #154.

MJ777
03-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Dexter Werner was a senior this year, and I believe that was the only NCAA tourney game he ever got to play in. I looked at their roster the other day because I couldn't remember his name.

Ekrub
03-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Think their tallest player is that Daum guy, at 6'9"

sittingon50
03-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Beat S.Dakota by 1 @ home, lost by 2 on the road, won by 3 in their Tourney.

8-8, tied with 2 other teams for 4th in their league.

S. Dakota was 12-4 & won the Summit; GU beat them by 37.

RenoZag
03-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Jackrabbit's Athletic Dept Hoops Page: http://www.gojacks.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Their fan board for Men's Hoops: http://sdsufans.com/board/forumdisplay.php?50-Jackrabbit-Men-s-Basketball&

CDC84
03-12-2017, 03:17 PM
307th in defensive efficiency. These guys are going to have a very hard time guarding Gonzaga.......

That being said, I hope that Few has showed the team the 2013 team's first round game. A game that GU nearly lost. It is extremely important that the Zags ACT LIKE A NUMBER ONE SEED. No messing around. Get everyone on the team some run, get the key guys some rest.

I still say there is a very good chance.....especially if Northwestern beats Vandy.....that GU will get the 9am PT tip to the whole nation on CBS on Saturday. They better get used to getting up early, and again, they need to take care of business quickly in the 1st round. The 2013 team didn't, and while it didn't cause the WSU loss, it set the wheels in motion.

sittingon50
03-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Jackrabbit's Athletic Dept Hoops Page: http://www.gojacks.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Their fan board for Men's Hoops: http://sdsufans.com/board/forumdisplay.php?50-Jackrabbit-Men-s-Basketball&

Thanks for the links, Reno. Pretty realistic fans so far.

caduceus
03-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Per KenPom predictor (http://gamepredict.us/kenpom?team_a=South%20Dakota%20St.&team_b=Gonzaga&neutral=true):

http://i.imgur.com/1bcZvIx.png

adoptedzag
03-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the links, Reno. Pretty realistic fans so far.

Need to pin that in it's own thread.

MDABE80
03-12-2017, 03:46 PM
I think we enter the tournament ALL Business and be ALL business throughout. We keep it up throughout.

Goshzagit
03-12-2017, 03:47 PM
gotta respect every opponent in March, yet we win this by 20+.

Their leading scorer, by a mile, is their big guy.

If anything, that's the best possible outcome vs Karno, Williams 3, Tillie, Collins to play against.

A bad match-up for them.

Southern was a much worse match-up for us in 2013.

Even NDSU 2 years ago…

This won't be a game.

Round 2 will be a test, big test, vs 2 teams with some quality wins and size and toughness.

ZagMan in Philly
03-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Vegas opened at -22 for Zags vs rabbits, and climbing...
Gaels -4.5 vs VCU

Hoopaholic
03-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Vegas opened at -22 for Zags vs rabbits, and climbing...
Gaels -4.5 vs VCU

Their defense is awful

Their bigs should struggle rebounding if we are dialed in

They may pack paint so our guards will have opportunities

Our pace and tempo will be something they have not seen this year

thespywhozaggedme
03-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Daum is a stud, he could play for a high major program. The rest of the team could not pay for a high major program.

Goshzagit
03-12-2017, 08:46 PM
Daum is a stud, he could play for a high major program. The rest of the team could not pay for a high major program.

He's also a 45% 3pt shooter.

Makes half his pts from perimeter, half in the post.

Will definitely force our bigs away from the block, & to guard the perimeter.

In most years, this could work, as teams could slice & dice past our guards, yet our defense is so patient & balanced.

Daum will get his, as he is a terrific shooter & scorer all over the court, but just not enough to defend us or firepower after Daum.

VinnyZag
03-12-2017, 08:51 PM
To put this in WCC terms, LMU is 167th in Kenpom.com ... 20 spots better than SDSU. GU beat LMU by a combined 68 points in two games.

MJ777
03-12-2017, 10:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHAgCoY9qbM

Watching that video gave me a new appreciation for their team. They made a nice comeback against the 1 seed in the Semis, and they looked more athletic than I thought I would see. Of course they call these packages "highlights" for a reason I suppose.

WestSideRabbit
03-13-2017, 06:58 AM
Hi All,
Just coming over to share about our Jackrabbits. Most of our fans realize there is less than a 1% chance of us winning this game. However, here is some background...

Our longtime coach Scott Nagy left for Wright State at the conclusion of last season. It was the right time for him to go as he had led our program through the transition from DII and had made 3 NCAA tournaments and nearly upset Maryland in the first round last year. However, Nagy also left the cupboard pretty bare as we graduated our top four guards from last years team and no quality replacements on the roster. He also got a pretty substantial raise so it was a good move for him and his family.

So in enters Coach Otzelberger (Otz). Otz has spent most of his career as an assistant coach at Iowa St, Washington, and then Iowa State again. Tons of energy and known as a good recruiter. He brought in two Juco guards (Howell and Wallace) and then two Grad transfers (Orris and Hess). We did return four players who contributed to last years team (Daum, Tellinghuisen, Theisen, and King).

We started the year 1-6 as the team really struggled to come together and find their identity. We had lots of lineup changes and drastic rotation changes. Towards the middle of the non-conference season we switched our defense to a 1-3-1 zone and that worked for awhile as we ended the non-conference season 7-7 but without any quality wins. Otz stuck with the zone for the start of the conference schedule and we got drilled. Teams figured out that they could just wide open threes and we were trounced repeatedly. I think there was a stretch where we had allowed the school record for three pointers made to five straight opponents. This is part of the reason for our pathetic defensive statistics. Finally, we switched back to man to man defense and that potentially saved our season. We are 10-3 in our last 13 games and our defense has steadily improved.

Mike Daum is the player to watch. He is one of the most efficient players that you will see and a master at drawing fouls. He is comfortable from the low block to the three point line. I'll be curious to see how your big man defends him. He dominated Diamond Stone from Maryland in last years tournament.
Reed Tellinghuisen is probably our next best player. Streaky shooter and pretty athletic. Tough defender who draws a charge or two every game.
Michael Orris is the grad transfer PG. Didn't play at all for the early part of the season but after a few failed attempts with others playing PG he was inserted into the lineup and has played really well. Hit the game winner in the semi-finals against USD.
Layne Severyn doesn't show up in the box score much but he is a really tough player who can hit the occasional three pointer.
Chris Howell is the wildcard. Probably our most athletic player. He can play inside or outside. Sometimes crosses that line of being out of control and has silly turnovers.

Bench will be:
Tevin King another hard nose defender. Smallest player on the court but has a knack for making big plays when the Jacks really need it. Had a few Lebron-esque fast-break trail blocks in the Summit League tournament.
Ian Thiesen is our backup center but has been hobbled for the second half of the season with an ankle injury. Has a nice touch around the rim and isn't afraid to shoot the three.
AJ Hess is the other grad transfer. He came from Southern Utah and was billed as a great 3pt shooter. We have seen glimpses of it but he wasn't real consistent before he got hurt in the middle of the year. Hasn't played much since returning.
Skyler Flatten is a very athletic wing and can be a very streaky shooter. However, he struggles with mental mistakes and defense that limit his playing time.

Again, I'm not expecting a win I just want the Jacks to have a decent showing and for no-one to get hurt. As a mid major, I have always cheered for the Zags in the tournament and will do so again if you beat us on Thursday!

bartruff1
03-13-2017, 07:07 AM
No #16 has won yet, but #15s win often enough to prove that all the teams are good and capable of wining a game.

The team sez it plays one game at time, I hope they are telling the truth.

The Jackrabbits have nothing to lose and that alone makes them dangerous.

In a game that is tight at the end, it is the favorite that feels the pressure.

More than likely they will be the crowd favorite.

rennis
03-13-2017, 07:10 AM
To put this in WCC terms, LMU is 167th in Kenpom.com ... 20 spots better than SDSU. GU beat LMU by a combined 68 points in two games.

uh huh. Zags win this one by a whole bunch of points.

sittingon50
03-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the report, Rabbit. Good Luck!

zaguarxj
03-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Hi All,
Mike Daum is the player to watch. He is one of the most efficient players that you will see and a master at drawing fouls. He is comfortable from the low block to the three point line. I'll be curious to see how your big man defends him. He dominated Diamond Stone from Maryland in last years tournament.

Few may put Jonathan Williams III on Daum, to keep him from drawing Shem out of the paint with his 3pt shot. We saw a little bit of JWIII guarding Mika from BYU recently.

uZiGiZaG
03-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Hi All,
Just coming over to share about our Jackrabbits. Most of our fans realize there is less than a 1% chance of us winning this game. However, here is some background...

Our longtime coach Scott Nagy left for Wright State at the conclusion of last season. It was the right time for him to go as he had led our program through the transition from DII and had made 3 NCAA tournaments and nearly upset Maryland in the first round last year. However, Nagy also left the cupboard pretty bare as we graduated our top four guards from last years team and no quality replacements on the roster. He also got a pretty substantial raise so it was a good move for him and his family.

So in enters Coach Otzelberger (Otz). Otz has spent most of his career as an assistant coach at Iowa St, Washington, and then Iowa State again. Tons of energy and known as a good recruiter. He brought in two Juco guards (Howell and Wallace) and then two Grad transfers (Orris and Hess). We did return four players who contributed to last years team (Daum, Tellinghuisen, Theisen, and King).

We started the year 1-6 as the team really struggled to come together and find their identity. We had lots of lineup changes and drastic rotation changes. Towards the middle of the non-conference season we switched our defense to a 1-3-1 zone and that worked for awhile as we ended the non-conference season 7-7 but without any quality wins. Otz stuck with the zone for the start of the conference schedule and we got drilled. Teams figured out that they could just wide open threes and we were trounced repeatedly. I think there was a stretch where we had allowed the school record for three pointers made to five straight opponents. This is part of the reason for our pathetic defensive statistics. Finally, we switched back to man to man defense and that potentially saved our season. We are 10-3 in our last 13 games and our defense has steadily improved.

Reed Tellinghuisen is probably our next best player. Streaky shooter and pretty athletic. Tough defender who draws a charge or two every game.
Michael Orris is the grad transfer PG. Didn't play at all for the early part of the season but after a few failed attempts with others playing PG he was inserted into the lineup and has played really well. Hit the game winner in the semi-finals against USD.
Layne Severyn doesn't show up in the box score much but he is a really tough player who can hit the occasional three pointer.
Chris Howell is the wildcard. Probably our most athletic player. He can play inside or outside. Sometimes crosses that line of being out of control and has silly turnovers.

Bench will be:
Tevin King another hard nose defender. Smallest player on the court but has a knack for making big plays when the Jacks really need it. Had a few Lebron-esque fast-break trail blocks in the Summit League tournament.
Ian Thiesen is our backup center but has been hobbled for the second half of the season with an ankle injury. Has a nice touch around the rim and isn't afraid to shoot the three.
AJ Hess is the other grad transfer. He came from Southern Utah and was billed as a great 3pt shooter. We have seen glimpses of it but he wasn't real consistent before he got hurt in the middle of the year. Hasn't played much since returning.
Skyler Flatten is a very athletic wing and can be a very streaky shooter. However, he struggles with mental mistakes and defense that limit his playing time.

Again, I'm not expecting a win I just want the Jacks to have a decent showing and for no-one to get hurt. As a mid major, I have always cheered for the Zags in the tournament and will do so again if you beat us on Thursday!

Excellent run down. Thanks for sharing! Good luck Thursday!

former1dog
03-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Hi All,

Bench will be:

Thanks for coming by WestSideRabbit. It is certainly nice to get an inside perspective on your team. Congrats to you and them for making the big Dance.

There is an awful lot of information floating around about Gonzaga, as I'm sure you're aware. We have a very balanced, athletic and (for the most part) experienced team. For most of the season, I would suspect against your team, we'll go solidly 8 deep. 4 bigs, 4 guards.

Our offense and defense both feature Kareem Abdul Jabbar Award candidate Przemek (SHEM-ICK) Karnowski. He is the undisputed leader of the team and has about the highest basketball IQ you're going to find. He's literally huge, but surprisingly nimble. On offense he can't really be guarded one on one, but is such a good passer the choice to double or not is really a miserable one. Not overly athletic he's not necessarily a shot blocker on defense, but he is almost never out of position on defense and consequently clogs the lane for opposing bigs and the dribble drive.

Jonathan Williams plays power forward and is extremely athletic. Coach Few recently indicated he was one of the best and smartest defenders in the history of the program. Over 33 games, he's lost less than a handful of opening tips (which is fun), he can score aggressively on the inside and is accurate enough out to the 3 point line to keep defenses honest. He's been known to drive by defenders and dunk on them.

We play a three guard offense with Nigel Williams-Goss, a first or second team All American depending on the source, being the engine that runs this train. He's phenomenal in every facet. Shooting, assists, dribble drive, defense, leadership. You name it. He's the guy all Zag fans wants to have the ball in his hands when the game is on the line. Since he's a big guard, he likes to post up opposing guards. In our conference championship against St. Mary's, he repeatedly and successfully posted up Rahon, who was the conference defensive player of the year.

Jordan Matthews is our wing player. He was a grad transfer from Cal Berkely. A very good defender and a spot of shooter. He can be a bit streaky, but has been on the last couple of games. Zags think if he and Perkins play well, we're almost certainly a Final 4 team, if not a national championship team.

Josh Perkins is our other point guard and by percentage, our best 3 point shooter. He's an excellent passer, with an unfortunate tendency to get a little "fancier" than necessary on (rare) occassions. He can be an excellent player if he's playing confidently, but it can go the other way if he's not.

Zach Collins is our freshman center and the first big off the bench. He's an NBA first rounder this year and a lottery pick if he goes into the draft next year. Super efficient, he scores 10 points a game on only 17 minutes of playing time and grabs 6 rebounds. He's very athletic and is an awesome shot blocker from the weak and strong side. He's young and prone to foul trouble.

Silas Melson is our first guard off the bench and gets starter minutes. He's a big guard and extremely athletic. He's a do-it-all player who will typically be assigned to shut down the opponents best player. A streaky, but increasingly more consistent 3 point shooter, he also has a good floater and can take most defenders off the dribble.

Killian Tillie is another freshman big off the bench who is extremely athletic and high energy player off the bench. He has an excellent sense of the game and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Zag fans love him. The only thing holding him back was a fairly bad ankle sprain about 6 weeks ago and a broken ring finger about 3.5 weeks ago. I predict he'll be a star for the Zags and an NBA starter down the road.

Gonzaga has the second best defense in the country, according to Ken Pomeroy and the 10th best offense. The only team in the top 10 in both categories. On offense, the team passes up good shots for great ones. I recall reading about a typical offensive possession that featured 11 passes from earlier this season.

I think most Zag fans expect for us to win handily because we don't expect our team to overlook and/or disrespect the Jackrabbits.

Thanks again for dropping by.

da_coach
03-14-2017, 05:42 AM
Another Jackrabbits fan here.

I have nothing really to add to Westside's post, as he did a great job of breaking down the team and the season.

Just wanted to add that many of us (Jackrabbit fans) wanted NOTHING to do with your squad this year. Honestly, the #1 seed that I least wanted to play.

Nothing but respect here from the Great Plains. I hope we can make a game out of it. (I'm sure you don't...but maybe you want us to keep it close enough that you don't lose focus/get sloppy.)

(Also..,. please ignore LakesBison, if you can. He was banned from his own board. Just a butthurt Bison fan, who's wandering the internet talking smack about our school.)

sittingon50
03-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Tell him to visit the San Fran. Dons board, coach. They're a VERY welcoming group.

The match up with young Mr. Daum should be interesting.

Best of luck to the Jackrabbits & they're fans.

MTZag03
03-14-2017, 04:23 PM
Tell him to visit the San Fran. Dons board, coach. They're a VERY welcoming group.

The match up with young Mr. Daum should be interesting.

Best of luck to the Jackrabbits & they're fans.

Just be sure to use a VPN since their moderator has been know to doxx posters he disagrees with.

DixieZag
03-14-2017, 04:39 PM

I have nothing really to add to Westside's post, as he did a great job of breaking down the team and the season.

Just wanted to add that many of us (Jackrabbit fans) wanted NOTHING to do with your squad this year. Honestly, the #1 seed that I least wanted to play.

Nothing but respect here from the Great Plains. I hope we can make a game out of it. (I'm sure you don't...but maybe you want us to keep it close enough that you don't lose focus/get sloppy.)

(Also..,. please ignore LakesBison, if you can. He was banned from his own board. Just a butthurt Bison fan, who's wandering the internet talking smack about our school.)

One thing to keep in mind going forward, your guys can absolutely play their behinds off and play their best game of the year, but still lose by 25. That's not an accomplishment of any poster here, it's just pointed out as a fact. I think we average 18-20 pt victories over SMC, a ranked team. So, don't let the overall score dictate whether you think they represented real fight.

We've sure met some nice people over the years from the Dakotas.

Lakesbison
03-14-2017, 05:46 PM

anyone that talks smack or talks back gets banned from your precious lil fluffy bunny board, like hundreds.

NDSU > sdsu in every single way, not even a debate, run along.

former1dog
03-14-2017, 05:54 PM
NDSU > sdsu in every single way, not even a debate, run along.

only a Sith speaks in such absolutes.

sittingon50
03-14-2017, 06:07 PM
Well this little tidbit from KXLY news in Spokane tonight:

Cookies & Cream ice cream was invented by the SDSU dairy science program! I suggest we all run out and buy a half gallon & toast these good people after Thursdays game.