PDA

View Full Version : Lookin back at 18 years

YukonJack
03-11-2017, 09:02 PM
I've been watching an awful lot of You Tube lately regardingpast teams and players in the Few era, and there really have been some great ones, good ones, underachievers, and over achievers. There are a couple of players that could literally have been great. I do t know what it was but just name a few.

Heytvelt could have been the greatest Zag of all time. He was so skilled, and athletic. I am stunned to this day. It almost seems as if those days were in a cloud.

Although Pargo was a real good one, He should have been the best guard of all time.

I wish Stepp didnt have those bad knees. I understand that he was super athletic before GU.

Micah Downs..wish we would of had him all 4 years.

Imagine JP for 4.

and then....

Raivio , not sure what was expected. Maybe not much, but then maybe he exceeded expectations and then dropped off. He was silent his Jr Year, and then back right up.

SURPRISES?? Dickau, Morrison, Olynik

What are your thoughts? Gray, Turiaf, Sacre, Bouldin, and many more..Harris, Violett, Wiltjer, Sabonis........

gonzagafan62
03-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Those early teams were such a blessing to this program. Ronny turiaf briughy this program to stay. That's what my thought is. Calvary was so renlentless too.

My favorite player to watch was Steven Gray. Such a smooth player always had a smile and of course the zag dreds. Always knew he was a winner. Him and marquise carter saving many many many streaks after falling 0-3 in conference was amazing.

Sabonis and wiltjer saving the streak last year was awesome.

Getting the first at large berth was awesome.

Stepp missing the shot against Arizona was heartbreaking, yet showed we belonged.

We've won 8 straight round of 32 games - simply amazing.

It's been a fun ride. Every bit of it. Wouldn't change anything.

Oh and my favorite tournament moment besides the early days might be meeches game winner.

bigblahla
03-12-2017, 04:58 AM
Raivio , not sure what was expected. Maybe not much, but then maybe he exceeded expectations and then dropped off. He was silent his Jr Year, and then back right up.

As I remember it...DR got undercut in the paint against the Huskies at UW his soph year and hurt his back, to this day it's one of the more purposeful hurtful fouls I've seen, total BS play and Dentmon should have been thrown out....he never drove the paint the same again and seemed very timid driving to the hoop his Junior year....

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagger
03-12-2017, 05:08 AM
The Zags are definitely a program that steadily rises. It's a combo of coaches, school, town and team. With the transfers and recruits of late .... future recruiting looks pretty solid. Players want to come to GU - not much arm twisting involved. That makes it easier to target players who are thought will make a good fit in Spokane. It definitely helps that the coaching end of things is about as stable as it gets (a player recruited in has little to worry about in changes to the program while they are a Zag). Now we just need a NBA team in Spokane to keep all these spiffy Zags around even longer :)

RenoZag
03-12-2017, 10:31 AM
In the thread re: the men's basketball banquet, it was mentioned Coaches Lloyd and Daniels were on (or just back) from recruiting visits.

Have to think all of the discussion regarding Gonzaga falls in the "free publicity" category and improves the school's chances of landing talented recruits.

When I left campus in 1979 I never dreamed Gonzaga would be part of a national conversation on any subject, let alone college basketball.

It's good be a Zag.

Rangerzag
03-12-2017, 11:05 AM
..................When I left campus in 1979 I never dreamed Gonzaga would be part of a national conversation on any subject, let alone college basketball.

It's good be a Zag.

+1

As far as I am concerned, this is all icing on the cake.

jazzdelmar
03-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Those early teams were such a blessing to this program. Ronny turiaf briughy this program to stay. That's what my thought is. Calvary was so renlentless too.

My favorite player to watch was Steven Gray. Such a smooth player always had a smile and of course the zag dreds. Always knew he was a winner. Him and marquise carter saving many many many streaks after falling 0-3 in conference was amazing.

Sabonis and wiltjer saving the streak last year was awesome.

Getting the first at large berth was awesome.

Stepp missing the shot against Arizona was heartbreaking, yet showed we belonged.

We've won 8 straight round of 32 games - simply amazing.

It's been a fun ride. Every bit of it. Wouldn't change anything.

Oh and my favorite tournament moment besides the early days might be meeches game winner.

Wasn't Wichita a 32 gm?