PDA

View Full Version : opening against Montana

ZagnetitForce
10-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Anybody else wondering about the opening game and perhaps being a little concerned? Our Zags will be playing a very good and highly motivated Montana team. I am sure they will come in with a bit of a chip, since the series was put on hold there for a couple of years, and with a nothing to lose spirit about them I would think. I could see them playing like EWU used to against the Zags a couple years back. If the Zags aren't very ready, they could be in for a bit of shock, or am I giving Montana too much credit?

Oh, and for the record I am saying Zags win by 15, but just want to see what others may think.

roxdoc
10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Historically, Montana has always given the Zags a good run. The Zag bullseye is very distinct to the Griz - perhaps more so than to most of the WCC. I don't see why this year should be any different from the past. It will be a pretty good test right out of the blocks and the Zags better not take it for granted.

BobZag
10-17-2007, 03:00 PM
The Zags will be chomping at the bit. First game. K2 will be crazy. Months and months of pent-up, high octane energy. 12-13 guys will be going full-tilt boogie to try to earn their way into Few's upper rotation. The first true test will begin in Alaska and end in K2 on Dec. 5th.

gozagswoohoo
10-17-2007, 07:02 PM
The Zags will be chomping at the bit. First game. K2 will be crazy. Months and months of pent-up, high octane energy. 12-13 guys will be going full-tilt boogie to try to earn their way into Few's upper rotation. The first true test will begin in Alaska and end in K2 on Dec. 5th.

Couldn't have said it better than this.

Bocco
10-17-2007, 08:08 PM
One of the things about having a team with this deep and with this talent level, if there is someone who is not "chomping at the bit" there is a guy one the bench who is.

HOOTER
10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Montana is solid this year. I'd be willing to bet they win the Big Sky. They have a couple of bigs that can hold their own and their backcourt isn't all that bad either. Do they even have a remote chance of beating the Zag's? I wouldn't bet on it. My guess is that they will hang tough for a good part of the first half but Gonzaga's depth and talent will prove far too much for them to handle.

Gonzaga 89
Montana 68

jbslicer
10-18-2007, 06:13 AM
The Griz do have the talent to make it close game. Andrew Strait and Jordan Hasquet are their best players.
The Griz fans would love for the Zags to play in Missoula.

El Voce
10-18-2007, 07:26 AM
The Griz do have the talent to make it close game. Andrew Strait and Jordan Hasquet are their best players.

That used to be a great home-and-home series. That said, I doubt the Zags will be returning to Missoula anytime soon. There is way too much risk for the Zags, with little to be gained.

The national pundits -- and Selection Commitee -- would expect us to win in Missoula, though we know it would be a tough game. If we lose, the RPI would take a big hit.

I like the traditional regional rivalries -- Idaho, WSU, EWU, and Montana. There is a great history there. I do hope we continue to play the "locals" on at least a rotating basis.

J-Mac Zag Forever
10-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Ya want GU to have Romar's attitude?

kitzbuel
10-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Different fruits. UW's RPI takes no where near the hit if they lose to GU. They were frequently expected to loose to us. We get clubbed if we even have a close game with UM.

BobZag
10-18-2007, 09:38 AM

The Zag fans would love for the Bruins to play in Spokane.

mtzaga
10-18-2007, 09:48 AM
That used to be a great home-and-home series. That said, I doubt the Zags will be returning to Missoula anytime soon. There is way too much risk for the Zags, with little to be gained.

The national pundits -- and Selection Commitee -- would expect us to win in Missoula, though we know it would be a tough game. If we lose, the RPI would take a big hit.

I like the traditional regional rivalries -- Idaho, WSU, EWU, and Montana. There is a great history there. I do hope we continue to play the "locals" on at least a rotating basis.

The Zags playing the Griz in Missoula would be the game of the year, similar to WCC games when the Zags come to town. Add about 2,500 fans. Mark Few should call Trent Johnson and ask him how much fun he had two years ago.

Griz trivia: The Griz also have a player from Brewster, WA. Michael Taylor transfered from EWU. Assistant Coach Nate Duchesne was Ryan Appleby's high school coach.

Section 116
10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I agree with Elvoce regarding the Zags visiting Missoula anytime soon to face UM on their homecourt. There is too little to gain and too much to risk which is precisely why GU has such difficulty finding BCS schools willing to play at K2.

lothar98zag
10-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree with Elvoce regarding the Zags visiting Missoula anytime soon to face UM on their homecourt. There is too little to gain and too much to risk which is precisely why GU has such difficulty finding BCS schools willing to play at K2.
This is the same reason marque non-con games in K2 won't happen any time soon. (WSU excluded)

sittingon50
10-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I hate to see the Zags forget who & where they have been. Practicalities be damned.

MDABE80
10-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I thought Tim Floyd's attitude returning a game with the Citadel this year obtained such great press. USC didn't have to return the game but it was a pretty classy move. Not much to gain from the game for USC either. Nonetheless, Floyd's packing up his team for a 5000 miles round tripper because "Its the right thing to do". http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=whelliston_kyle&id=3044505 Montana's a lot closer and is our neighbor.
I'd like to think we play em home and home no matter their RPI. We don't want to seem too big for our britches. "Anytime, anyone, anywhere" was the hallmark of our Zags when the program was on the rise. I'd like to think we haven't abandoned that attitude.

I suppose there are bigger fish to fry elsewhere and in other venues but sometimes sportsmanship is more important. Montana usually has good teams. If we can fit a Northern Colorado in the schedule, why not Montana?
Just a thought...

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
10-18-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't think it hurts us to keep the NW pipelines of recruits open either...Montana throws around some athletes every now and again, and a regional fan base will get you through the tough years, whereas national sportswriters won't. Not to mention, I think we're still trying to recruit students as well as student athletes, and the west coast is still our bread and butter there.

Reborn
11-03-2007, 02:39 PM
BZ quote. "The Zags will be chomping at the bit. First game. K2 will be crazy. Months and months of pent-up, high octane energy. 12-13 guys will be going full-tilt boogie to try to earn their way into Few's upper rotation. The first true test will begin in Alaska and end in K2 on Dec. 5th."

When I first read this Bob, and didn't look to see who wroter it, I was pleasantly surprised by your "new" creative writing style. I like it...I like it....:D

I hate to say it, but because I've only known you for a year, I just don't see you in that "Doomsday" mold. But it's probably one of those kwirky things we do for good luck....like wearing the same same socks for every game...or whatever!!!!

Here's to sharing another season with you, and one I hope is a lot better.

MDABE80
11-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Montana is now picked to win the Big Sky. I'm sure Few will be paying attention to the Griz. No overlooking these guys.

sanfranzagsguy20
11-03-2007, 03:50 PM
i could see a game similar to the idaho opener in 05