PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 favorite teams ?

YukonJack
03-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Im sure that this may have been brought up before , but everyone has their own lists and why.

1. Gonzaga: I retired from the Air Force here and as a sports fan I jumped on the bandwagon during the 99 E8 run. The rest is history. I had to check how much longer Calvary had and at the time saw he was just a Soph. Couldn't wait for 2000 to come and then DD sold me totally.

2 VCU: I used to go to their games back in the 70s when I lived in Richmond. They were always pretty good and when they went to the F4 a few years back in made it that much easier since GU was out by then.

3. St Marys: I like them because we beat them consistently, but I always root for them hard in post season play.

4. Penn State : Was and still am a big football fan but that translated to wanting them to win basketball too. Unfortunately they always are at the lower end of conference.

5. WSU/ EWU : I just want them to do well and always want them to beat the Huskies and as for EWU its because they are so close by. I should go to some games cuz they do play some pretty good teams occasionally.

DixieZag
03-11-2017, 12:06 PM
1.Gonzaga
2. Any WCC team in a game against a P5
3. Any mid-major against a top 10 team.
4. Team Izzo
5. Notre Dame

gonzagafan62
03-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Gonzaga
Gonzaga
Gonzaga
Gonzaga
Gonzaga

EDIT: I really don't care much about the other teams but do watch all the bubble games and ROOT for certain players and teams in a particular year but if I get tired of them I ditch them lol.

Example: I rooted for UNC Wilmington Vermont, and lots of other good mid majors to make tourney. Rooting for UCF and Tako Fall now.

Anyway, love the zags but cannot put my heart into anyone else

jazzdelmar
03-11-2017, 12:13 PM
GU
Bucknell
Mary's
Butler
Creighton.

I assumed you're talking re tourney.

Otherwise
GU
Jaspers
Lafayette
St. John's
USF

demian
03-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Gonzaga - no brainer for me. My dad played ball at Gonzaga in late 60's and my mom graduated from Gonzaga also so needless to say Gonzaga University and hoop team and Spokane in general have a special and very important meaning to me

Notre Dame. I grew up with them. My dad talked to us a lot about the great coach digger phelps when we were little. I loved David Rivers there point guard. Loved the team they had in early 90's with Laphonso Ellis, Damon sweet, Elmer Bennett. I enjoyed watching them on Saturday's mid day on tv and listening to Al McGuire broadcast the games in tv. And of course my favorite human of all time is Pat Conoughton the guy who played for them two years ago

UTEP - I loved Don Haskins. Before I even knew about the movie. Most simply cuz as a kid I thought the nickname "The Bear" was just great and I've always been infatuated with Texas even as a kid. I loved Tim Hardaway when he was there. Loved Antonio Davis when he was there. They made a deep run in the tourney one year I think sweet 16 (I was in high school) and they lost to Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway & his Memphis team. That UTEP team that season has a stud named Marlon Maxie who I really liked. When i was a kid I would play "full" NCAA march madness tournaments in my bedroom on the nerf hoop I had hanging over the door, UTEP had a great tradition of winning in my "land of make believe". They won multiple titles in my fictitious NCAA march madness nerf hoop tourneys.

Louisville - I have always liked Rick Pitino. So again whichever team he coaches will be in my top 5. I went to the Final Four as a middle school kid with my family in 1987. Providence was in final four and Pitino was the coach. I remember me and my brother and my dad watching all of the march madness games leading up to final four and we fell in love with providence & Billy Donavan there point guard and Delray Brooks (the transfer from Indiana) as the shooting guard and of course there head coach and there style of play as they upset team after team on the way to final four. Can't believe Pitino, Boeheim and Coach K are still coaching at an elite level today now that im 43 years old and they were coaching at an elite level when I was a 7th grader in 1987

Cincinnati Bearcats/West Virginia (combined) - I love Bobby Huggins so whatever team he coaches automatically goes into my top 5.

MTZag03
03-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Gonzaga (huge gap between this and the rest)
Any Montana team
SMC
Sparty
Any mid major

demian
03-11-2017, 12:26 PM
GU
Bucknell
Mary's
Butler
Creighton.

I assumed you're talking re tourney.

Otherwise
GU
Jaspers
Lafayette
St. John's
USF

Are the Jaspers of Manhattan U?? I like your inclusion of Lafayette, we have a guy from where I live here in Yakima, Wa. who played at Lafayette. Tyson Whitfield is his name. I kind of always liked St. Johns as well, my cousin was a philosophy professor there about 10 years ago. I wish St. Johns could get good again. Its fun when teams like them are relevant.

demian
03-11-2017, 12:27 PM
1.Gonzaga
2. Any WCC team in a game against a P5
3. Any mid-major against a top 10 team.
4. Team Izzo
5. Notre Dame

hey glad to have you on the Notre Dame board with me

demian
03-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Im sure that this may have been brought up before , but everyone has their own lists and why.

1. Gonzaga: I retired from the Air Force here and as a sports fan I jumped on the bandwagon during the 99 E8 run. The rest is history. I had to check how much longer Calvary had and at the time saw he was just a Soph. Couldn't wait for 2000 to come and then DD sold me totally.

2 VCU: I used to go to their games back in the 70s when I lived in Richmond. They were always pretty good and when they went to the F4 a few years back in made it that much easier since GU was out by then.

3. St Marys: I like them because we beat them consistently, but I always root for them hard in post season play.

4. Penn State : Was and still am a big football fan but that translated to wanting them to win basketball too. Unfortunately they always are at the lower end of conference.

5. WSU/ EWU : I just want them to do well and always want them to beat the Huskies and as for EWU its because they are so close by. I should go to some games cuz they do play some pretty good teams occasionally.

I like the VCU selection.

former1dog
03-11-2017, 12:29 PM
1. 1998-99 Gonzaga Bulldogs - Featuring double threat point guards, Richie Frahm on the wing, Casey Calvary down low .... Elite 8 baby, the slipper still fits!

2. 2005-2006 Gonzaga Bulldogs - Adam Morrison, easily the most exciting college basketball player to watch since Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble

3. 2016-2017 Gonzaga Bulldogs - 29-0 start, probable one seed... Almost to good to be true!

4. 2001-2002 Gonzaga Bulldogs - Dickau/Stepp/Electrifying

5. 1992-1993 Gonzaga Bulldogs - Featuring Jeff Brown and my good friend Felix McGowan... A bit of a sentimental pick as I watched my good friend help start this quaint little run we've been on. That team made it to the conference finals championship game only to get knocked off in a close one by the Doug Christie led Pepperdine Waves.

Three Honorable Mentions

2014-2015 Gonzaga Bulldogs - Elite Eight!!!

2012-2013 Gonzaga Bulldogs - The first #1 ranked team and first #1 seed... What a season!

Late 80's, early 90's LMU Lions - In a way, sort of a precursor to the rock star status Gonzaga Basketball would later enjoy. A truly remarkable set of players, coach and style of play. I was lucky enough to attend the Gonzaga home game back in the day against LMU and it made a last mark and memory for me.

MickMick
03-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Gonzaga
Washington State
Boise State
Eastern Washington
Butler

jazzdelmar
03-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Are the Jaspers of Manhattan U?? I like your inclusion of Lafayette, we have a guy from where I live here in Yakima, Wa. who played at Lafayette. Tyson Whitfield is his name. I kind of always liked St. Johns as well, my cousin was a philosophy professor there about 10 years ago. I wish St. Johns could get good again. Its fun when teams like them are relevant.

My son played pg 4 years at Lafayette. We know Tyson. Very good player. It's Manhattan College, my alma mater. And we know Chris very well, he and his brothers all went to same high school as my sons. Three Mullins and one son are in the Xaverian HS HOF. And I served a stint at the old Yakima firing center, 100 years ago. Thanks for asking.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-11-2017, 01:36 PM
1. Gonzaga - my alma mater.
2a/2b. Montana/Montana State. My home state and the two schools that most of my family attended.
3. Michigan State. My in-laws' alma mater. I love getting together with my father in-law to watch games between Sparty and the Zags. I wish it would happen every season.
4. Any Big Sky team or WCC team playing a bigger conference school.
5. The service academies.
6. Any "mid-major" playing a bigger school.

Honorable Mention - UMaine, Notre Dame, Virginia, Texas, Texas A&M.

beaverzag
03-11-2017, 02:46 PM
1. Oregon State--my alma mater
2. Gonzaga--my daughters are Zags, class of 2011 and 2018
3. Whoever is playing oregon in any sport, at any time, any place

MontanaCoyote
03-11-2017, 02:54 PM
1. Gonzaga

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-11-2017, 03:17 PM
1. Gonzaga - my alma mater.
2a/2b. Montana/Montana State. My home state and the two schools that most of my family attended.
3. Michigan State. My in-laws' alma mater. I love getting together with my father in-law to watch games between Sparty and the Zags. I wish it would happen every season.
4. Any Big Sky team or WCC team playing a bigger conference school.
5. The service academies.
6. Any "mid-major" playing a bigger school.

Honorable Mention - UMaine, Notre Dame, Virginia, Texas, Texas A&M.

But for the next few hours, I am a huge fan of Arizona, Iowa State, and Akron.

demian
03-11-2017, 03:39 PM
My son played pg 4 years at Lafayette. We know Tyson. Very good player. It's Manhattan College, my alma mater. And we know Chris very well, he and his brothers all went to same high school as my sons. Three Mullins and one son are in the Xaverian HS HOF. And I served a stint at the old Yakima firing center, 100 years ago. Thanks for asking.

Wow what an incredibly small world. Tyson Whitfield graduated from the same high school that I graduated from here in Yakima, Eisenhower High School. Tyson is Probably 5 years younger than me. He was a Really really good basketball player from this area. It was a big deal that he was able to play across the country in the Patriot League from our small region. My son played football at Davis High School here in yakima,Wa. (he graduated HS last year 2016) and he was recruited by Holy Cross, Bucknell & Army West Point from the Patriot League for football (I know army West Point is only patriot league for basketball) so we are rather familiar with the Patriot League teams on a small level. That is very cool you know chris Mullins and his family. What a great player. I hope he can get St Johns back to relevance. The big east was so great back when Mullins and Walter berry were battling Ewing, Derek Coleman and seikaly and those great players and teams. I really liked Malik Sealey of St. John's in the early to mid 90's. wow I can't believe you were stationed at the Yakima Firing Center. I have done so much work on that site over the last 20 years, I have inspected numerous tank roads that have been built throughout that massive site, numerous new buildings that have been built over last 20 years on that site etc. etc. small world. Good stuff

jazzdelmar
03-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Wow what an incredibly small world. Tyson Whitfield graduated from the same high school that I graduated from here in Yakima, Eisenhower High School. Tyson is Probably 5 years younger than me. He was a Really really good basketball player from this area. It was a big deal that he was able to play across the country in the Patriot League from our small region. My son played football at Davis High School here in yakima,Wa. (he graduated HS last year 2016) and he was recruited by Holy Cross, Bucknell & Army West Point from the Patriot League for football (I know army West Point is only patriot league for basketball) so we are rather familiar with the Patriot League teams on a small level. That is very cool you know chris Mullins and his family. What a great player. I hope he can get St Johns back to relevance. The big east was so great back when Mullins and Walter berry were battling Ewing, Derek Coleman and seikaly and those great players and teams. I really liked Malik Sealey of St. John's in the early to mid 90's. wow I can't believe you were stationed at the Yakima Firing Center. I have done so much work on that site over the last 20 years, I have inspected numerous tank roads that have been built throughout that massive site, numerous new buildings that have been built over last 20 years on that site etc. etc. small world. Good stuff

Maybe you passed by some of the stuff we did there. I did my AIT there, I operated all the heavy equipment. When I was there it was a sleepy base except for the helicopter crews preparing for Nam. The best part was we had civilian cooks and the food was A plus. Loved Yakima too. Many years later I did a bike ride across the country and rode all through the magnificent Yakima valley. Did basic at Lewis. Where did your son decide to go? Chris is one of the most humble super stars you would ever meet. I played vs him in the playgrounds a few times.

Radbooks
03-11-2017, 03:54 PM
1. Gonzaga

2. WSU/EWU... local teams I like to see do well.
3. Michigan St. - I like Izzo!
4. Butler... just like the program
5. That's pretty much it but I do root for all the mid-major type teams in the tourney every year. :)

demian
03-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Maybe you passed by some of the stuff we did there. I did my AIT there, I operated all the heavy equipment. When I was there it was a sleepy base except for the helicopter crews preparing for Nam. The best part was we had civilian cooks and the food was A plus. Loved Yakima too. Many years later I did a bike ride across the country and rode all through the magnificent Yakima valley. Did basic at Lewis. Where did your son decide to go? Chris is one of the most humble super stars you would ever meet. I played vs him in the playgrounds a few times.

Yeah I am sure I passed by some of your stuff you worked on at the base. Yakima is a nice place with all four seasons and different terrains the one downsize is it has become a very violent city. Very high murder and crime rate, heavy drug trafficking and big gang activity city. Ft. Lewis in Tacoma huh. Chris Mullin actually comes across as a humble person and a likeable guy on television and I trust your first hand knowledge of him. My son actually decided to go to Idaho State University in the Big Sky Conference, he is a wide receiver for the Bengals. He redshirted this past football season and will be considered a freshman eligibility wise this upcoming season.

kclubfounder
03-11-2017, 04:26 PM
1. GU
2. Anyone playing Washington (and I LOVE the football team)
3. Anyone playing Oregon (and I HATE the football team - along with every other part of that ugly and disgusting school)
4. WCC VS anyone else
5. Anyone GU beat earlier in the season (remembering that the 1st 4 choices supersede this one)

DixieZag
03-11-2017, 04:31 PM
My son played pg 4 years at Lafayette..

Wow. Impressive, and in case that's somehow misread as snark, it's absolutely the opposite.

ZagMan in Philly
03-11-2017, 04:38 PM
GU
St.Joseph's (like the coach)
Notre Dame (good school)
That's it...uh..Temple (wife's schoo)

jazzdelmar
03-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Wow. Impressive, and in case that's somehow misread as snark, it's absolutely the opposite.

Not at all. His son, 10, dropped 32 in 3 wins today for Riverside Church elite AAU team. Headed for Princeton. Sorry.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-11-2017, 05:01 PM
1. Gonzaga
2. West VA - I just like Huggins and his top asst. coach Billy Hahn. Hahn was longtime assistant coach for Gary Williams at Maryland when I lived in DC area and my boss, season ticket holder for Terps, took me to a lot of games. Those Terps teams were real fun to watch: Juan Dixon, Lonny Baxter, Terrence Morris, Steve Francis etc..
3. Syracuse - my hometown team. Though I've never much liked Boeheim's personality and the sketchy goings on in that program under his watch, I love their dedication to the 2-3 zone and how they recruit specifically with that defense in mind. I went to lots of games in the Dome during the Sherman Douglas, Rony Seikaly, Derrick Coleman, Stephen Thompson years.
4. Michigan State - I just love Izzo and how he runs his program
5. Villanova / Notre Dame: toss up. Just like Wright and Brey. Great programs

team6
03-11-2017, 05:08 PM
1. Gonzaga
Then a huge gap
2. Cal State Bakersfield (My friend is the head coach of the girls team so I'll root for them when I see them on the tv)
3. Fresno St. (I live close to them and I'll watch 2 or 3 of their games a year)
4. USC (Sister is obsessed with them so I'll root for them when she's around)
5. Fresno Pacific (My school, they are division 2 though)

maineblackbear
03-11-2017, 06:33 PM
GU

but I have a serious interest in:

UMaine (well, look at the user name-- did you know Maine has been in the bottom 20 of kenpom three of the last four years?)
WSU (I am from Spokane and I remember when we were happy they played us.)
Vermont (the longest winning streak in D1)

Beyond that, its geographical. When I am in the northeast, I root for northwest programs. While living in the NW, I root for a select few NE teams (such as Vermont).

Also, D2, I root for Fort Hays State University.

thanks, mbb

zagfan24
03-11-2017, 06:33 PM
1) Gonzaga
2) Marquette
3) Notre Dame
4) Michigan State
5) Villanova

Sparty and Nova make the list due to my admiration and respect for their coaches.

jazzdelmar
03-11-2017, 06:35 PM
GU

but I have a serious interest in:

UMaine (well, look at the user name-- did you know Maine has been in the bottom 20 of kenpom three of the last four years?)
WSU (I am from Spokane and I remember when we were happy they played us.)
Vermont (the longest winning streak in D1)

Beyond that, its geographical. When I am in the northeast, I root for northwest programs. While living in the NW, I root for a select few NE teams (such as Vermont).

Also, D2, I root for Fort Hays State University.

thanks, mbb
WSU

Rick Carlisle was the best the black bears ever had. Split for uva.

maineblackbear
03-11-2017, 06:45 PM
actually jazz, what is really sad is that we are still missing Jim Giannini-- you know Bobby Knight without a win. (I hated watching games he coached-- he yelled at players loud enough for all of us to hear in an almost vacant gym-- and insulting-- "you're freaking lazy, etc" ) -- I don't object to negative motivation, but he personalized it.

We do have a nice coach now, (Bob Walsh who replaced Ted Woodward) he is having a terrible problem retaining players (he recruits, they stay in Maine for about 30 minutes and then transfer) not sure Maine will make the NCAAs in my lifetime. I am 53.

Tmac5360
03-11-2017, 07:42 PM
1. GU not even close. Only team that lose sleep over loses.
2. WSU hard times but I pull for Kent.
3. WCC teams when no.t playing GU.
4. Izzo
5. Anybody playing the Huskies.