PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel...

sittingon50
03-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Any other candidates coming up?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18846025/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-which-head-coaches-coming-2017

seacatfan
03-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Not many plum jobs. A few seem like places you should be able to win but they have a hard time finding the right coach. LSU in particular. Talent rich area and local kids seem to want to stay home fairly often. Have had some good teams under various coaches, but nobody has been able to sustain anything there.

jazzdelmar
03-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Not many plum jobs. A few seem like places you should be able to win but they have a hard time finding the right coach. LSU in particular. Talent rich area and local kids seem to want to stay home fairly often. Have had some good teams under various coaches, but nobody has been able to sustain anything there.

Like none. Mizzou a mess. Guess UCSB would be fun.

sittingon50
03-11-2017, 12:37 PM
John Groce-Illinois

Section 116
03-11-2017, 12:54 PM
I thought Quinnipiac showed flashes of a decent team when the Zags played them back in November. Guess it didn't turn out that way!

CDC84
03-11-2017, 07:00 PM
Lots of talk about Crean leaving Indiana for a "soft landing" job at Mizzou. He's not really on the hot seat, but is tired of all the job pressure.

Have heard very little about the NC State job. I've heard Archie isn't likely to take it. He's waiting for a blue blood.

Imagine trying to hire for the Alabama A&M job. Here's what we have to offer......11 straight road games and a bus to start off your season.

Norwester
03-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Overdue.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/seattle-fired-head-coach-cameron-dollar/

sittingon50
03-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Cameron Dollar:

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/seattle-fired-head-coach-cameron-dollar/

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Seattle U. oughta make a bold move, hire Brian Michaelson to his first head coaching gig. He's smart enough and ready. Hate to see him go but that would be a nice opportunity for an upcoming coach. As long as they stay in the WAC, Zags fans in Seattle area would get behind the RedHawks.

sittingon50
03-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks Norwester. Just saw that over on the SMC Board. I started a thread on coaching changes a few days ago so added that on. Hope you don't mind; you got the scoop!

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Definitely overdue. If they really want to roll the dice, how about the coach from Whitworth? It's D3, but they seem to be consistently excellent. OSU women's bball did something similar and it worked out brilliantly when they hired the coach from D3 George Fox.

basketballzag
03-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Definitely overdue. If they really want to roll the dice, how about the coach from Whitworth? It's D3, but they seem to be consistently excellent. OSU women's bball did something similar and it worked out brilliantly when they hired the coach from D3 George Fox.

A reuniting of Cameron Dollar and Lorenzo Romar in the future?

Zags_Fanatic
03-13-2017, 01:07 PM

Hayford from Whitworth took the EWU job a few years ago, not sure his replacement has done enough yet to make that much noise.

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Hayford from Whitworth took the EWU job a few years ago, not sure his replacement has done enough yet to make that much noise.

Oops, my bad.

WhitworthZAG
03-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Oops, my bad.

Matt Logie at Whitworth recently became the quickest to 100 wins for a career in D3 history.

MontanaCoyote
03-13-2017, 01:16 PM
Too bad that Elgin Baylor is too old.

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Matt Logie at Whitworth recently became the quickest to 100 wins for a career in D3 history.

Cool! I saw they got to the Elite 8 this year.

bartruff1
03-13-2017, 01:20 PM
SU should hire the best coach that they can afford...I would go with a proven head coach...a winning head coach...assuming they want to build a program that could get them to the NCAA Tourney.

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 01:24 PM
I would go with a proven head coach

It's not exactly a destination job. WAC is near the bottom of the barrel for conferences out West, and completely overshadowed by UW in Seattle. Could be really hard to draw a proven coach. Thus my suggestion of going after a coach from a lower level who wins at a high rate.

IowaSERE
03-13-2017, 01:39 PM
BRANDON ROY?

ZagaZags
03-13-2017, 01:40 PM
A reuniting of Cameron Dollar and Lorenzo Romar in the future?

In the unemployment line?

katman50
03-13-2017, 01:46 PM
SU should hire the best coach that they can afford...I would go with a proven head coach...a winning head coach...assuming they want to build a program that could get them to the NCAA Tourney.

Which would include a proven, winning, D2 or D3 coach.

75Zag
03-13-2017, 01:52 PM
I think we at GU have a conflict of interest when it comes to the SU program. GU does some decent recruiting in Seattle and a significantly improved SU basketball program might eventually interfere with GU recruiting in the region. But other than the potential impact on GU recruiting, I would love to see SU become a serious BB power. They are located in one of the great cities in the US, they have a very nice campus and a great educational system, they are located near some of the powerhouse employers in the USA (Amazon anyone?), and I would love to see them back as a top 50 team in the next couple years.

See you in SLC - Go Bulldogs!

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 02:14 PM
SU is light years away from taking recruits from GU. It's a non issue for now. UW and GU compete head to head for recruits sometimes, but as has been discussed ad nauseum most of the Seattle area kids just don't want to go to GU for whatever reasons.

HS talent from the Puget Sound area that don't go to Pac 12 schools often end up at various Big Sky, Big West or WAC schools. A few of them turn out to be quite good at the college level. D.J. Fenner at Nevada is one such player (I think he was on the Zags' radar for a while).

I looked at the Seattle U. roster. Almost half of them are international. US players are from all over the place. Several from Western Washington, none I really remember hearing about when they were in HS. Looks like they get whoever they can to fill out a roster, not really a threat to anybody at this point on the recruiting trail.

bartruff1
03-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Which would include a proven, winning, D2 or D3 coach.

Of course....I remember a decade when they were toughest basketball ticket in town...maybe in the Northwest...well as far as Beaver Town...before they pulled the plug...

But of course that was when there was no NBA team there and UW Basketball was in free fall.....hummmm

azzagfan
03-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Possible SU candidates:
Ken Bone
Tony Dominguez - Western Washington
Brad Jackson - UW (former WWU coach)
Ryan Looney - Point Loma Nazarene (former SPU coach)

maynard g krebs
03-13-2017, 03:01 PM
I think Ken Bone would be a terrific choice for SU. Done well everywhere but WSU, connected/respected in Seattle, brought D1 transfers to SPU when there.

He'd have them competing with NMSU/Bakersfield w/in 2 seasons imo.

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Bone, definitely sound like a good option.

CDC84
03-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Seattle U. needs a new gym before it needs a new coach, but unfortunately, they are going to need to hire a new coach first. I just don't know how many takers there are going to be for a team with a wonderful past that plays in a city owned arena where the university gets zero money from concessions and has to play around $10,000 in rent per game. Trust me, it's very hard for any basketball program to build a consistent winner in those financial circumstances.

Meanwhile, NMSU is a NCAA tournament regular...partly because they play in a nice, comfy 12,000 seat on campus arena in a city where they are the only game in town.

Facilities matter. You wouldn't believe how much more money Gonzaga makes by playing their games at the Kennel as opposed to the Spokane Arena, despite the fact that the city arena is double the capacity.

maynard g krebs
03-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Seattle U. needs a new gym before it needs a new coach, but unfortunately, they are going to need to hire a new coach first. I just don't know how many takers there are going to be for a team with a wonderful past that plays in a city owned arena where the university gets zero money from concessions and has to play around $10,000 in rent per game. Trust me, it's very hard for any basketball program to build a consistent winner in those financial circumstances.

Meanwhile, NMSU is a NCAA tournament regular...partly because they play in a nice, comfy 12,000 seat on campus arena in a city where they are the only game in town.

Bone made back to back NCAA's playing in PSU's high school gym (pretty much literally; holds 12 or 1400?). Seattle's home for him. Do you think he'd pass if offered?

75Zag
03-13-2017, 03:46 PM
SU might get a new arena regardless of their preferences. Seattle City Council seems intent on tearing down Key Arena and replacing it with some sort of high tech Hockey / NBA facility instead of allowing Chris Hansen to build his proposed Hockey / NBA facility in SODO. If that happens, and if SU can fit their schedule to share an arena with the theoretical new Seattle NHL and NBA teams, SU will have a fancy venue, but I doubt that it will work for them. And if the tear down / rebuild of Key Arena does not happen, my money says it closes within 2 years.

ZagDaddy
03-13-2017, 05:00 PM

Hmm. Not sure what you mean about that. Matt Logie's record at Whitworth is like 151-25. He was the fastest to 100 wins in D3 history and has made the NCAA tournament every year. Ask Mark Few what he thinks about the current Whitworth staff and I think you would be surprised by the amount of respect he has for the program and what they have done particulary with zero athletic scholarships to give.

Logie has D1 experience as a player and assistant coach ( He is credited with recruiting CJ MCcollum to Lehigh.), is a Seattle native with lots of local connections (His grandfather is the winningest high school coach in WA state history.) To be honest, I'd be surprised if his name wasn't in the mix.

Corky
03-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Cool! I saw they got to the Elite 8 this year.

Not this year. Lost in the first round.

Whitman is in the Final Four and still undefeated! Beat Whitworth three times this year. Prominent alums are me, Tommy Lloyd, Adam West, and William O. Douglass.

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 05:57 PM
Ah jeez, I'm getting Whitworth and Whitman mixed up. My bad.

William O. Douglass--I've hiked in his namesake Wilderness Areas a few times.

seacatfan
03-13-2017, 05:59 PM
Duquesne now open.

ZagDaddy
03-13-2017, 06:02 PM
Not this year. Lost in the first round.

Whitman is in the Final Four and still undefeated! Beat Whitworth three times this year. Prominent alums are me, Tommy Lloyd, Adam West, and William O. Douglass.

Yep Whitman had their number this year because they are a really good team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win it all. That would be a really good thing for D3 hoops in the west seeings how D3 hoops is just out numbered by eastern and midwestern teams.

DixieZag
03-13-2017, 06:03 PM
To Coach Creen: Yes, there's a lot of pressure in that job, for sure. However, you can beat a lot of it off if you simply make the tournament. Anyway, g2g, I suggest you try it.

kitzbuel
03-13-2017, 06:27 PM
I think we at GU have a conflict of interest when it comes to the SU program. GU does some decent recruiting in Seattle and a significantly improved SU basketball program might eventually interfere with GU recruiting in the region. But other than the potential impact on GU recruiting, I would love to see SU become a serious BB power. They are located in one of the great cities in the US, they have a very nice campus and a great educational system, they are located near some of the powerhouse employers in the USA (Amazon anyone?), and I would love to see them back as a top 50 team in the next couple years.

It has been 27 years since I graduated from GU. I have no connection to any kind of rivalry with SU. There has been no connection between the schools for nearly half a century.

Unless SU does something quick, the rivalry and affinity between the two schools is dead.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hoopaholic
03-13-2017, 06:30 PM

Who have we recruited from the area...Gary bell and?

Corky
03-13-2017, 06:50 PM

There is a legendary tale about William O when he was an undergrad. In the 19 teens he was mad about the dorm rules so he lived in a tent in the middle of campus for a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DixieZag
03-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Yep Whitman had their number this year because they are a really good team. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them win it all. That would be a really good thing for D3 hoops in the west seeings how D3 hoops is just out numbered by eastern and midwestern teams.

Whitman is also a highly respected academic college.

Ekrub
03-13-2017, 07:00 PM

Steven gray

Corky
03-13-2017, 07:06 PM
Steven gray

Kispert?

CDC84
03-13-2017, 07:09 PM
Bone made back to back NCAA's playing in PSU's high school gym (pretty much literally; holds 12 or 1400?). Seattle's home for him. Do you think he'd pass if offered?

It's possible, but the WAC is a better league than the Big Sky. Even if Bone were to bite, how long would he stay there if he succeeded??

And unlike Seattle U., Portland State doesn't have to pay rent and collects money on all concessions at their tiny gym.

The best possible scenario for their program is to have a facility they can call their own that they own. Maybe a Bone hire could put the wheels in motion to get that started?

rennis
03-13-2017, 08:42 PM

...Dickau and Williams-Goss. Hey-o!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Norwester
03-13-2017, 08:47 PM
SU might get a new arena regardless of their preferences. Seattle City Council seems intent on tearing down Key Arena and replacing it with some sort of high tech Hockey / NBA facility instead of allowing Chris Hansen to build his proposed Hockey / NBA facility in SODO. If that happens, and if SU can fit their schedule to share an arena with the theoretical new Seattle NHL and NBA teams, SU will have a fancy venue, but I doubt that it will work for them. And if the tear down / rebuild of Key Arena does not happen, my money says it closes within 2 years.

SU cannot afford the rent to play in such an arena, if it is ever built.

TexasZagFan
03-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Facilities matter. You wouldn't believe how much more money Gonzaga makes by playing their games at the Kennel as opposed to the Spokane Arena, despite the fact that the city arena is double the capacity.

First game I went to with the future Mrs. TZF was at the Pan Am Center in Las Cruces. It's a program with tradition, and great fan support. Las Cruces is a beautiful town, but it's tough to recruit there, it's in the middle of nowhere.

adoptedzag
03-13-2017, 09:12 PM
First game I went to with the future Mrs. TZF was at the Pan Am Center in Las Cruces. It's a program with tradition, and great fan support. Las Cruces is a beautiful town, but it's tough to recruit there, it's in the middle of nowhere.

Even with the bustling metropolis of El Paso an hour away?! ;)

Full disclosure, born in ELP :)

siliconzag
03-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Also remember that Seattle u nearly won the shining in 1958. I was but a young lad. Adolph Rupp cheated in the finals. They roughed up Baylor pretty badly and the refs swallowed their whistles. He played with a broken rib.

In terms of coaches they should hire a young charismatic coach. I think Brandon Roy would be an excellent choice.

sittingon50
03-13-2017, 11:13 PM
Duquesne now open.

Thanks cat.

sittingon50
03-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Also remember that Seattle u nearly won the shining in 1958. I was but a young lad. Adolph Rupp cheated in the finals. They roughed up Baylor pretty badly and the refs swallowed their whistles. He played with a broken rib.

In terms of coaches they should hire a young charismatic coach. I think Brandon Roy would be an excellent choice.

And he's coaching the Porter kid, so would naturally take him with.

:rolleyes:

zagdontzig
03-14-2017, 01:50 AM
Is Wayne Tinkle on the hot seat? I could see a hot mid-major market for him.

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 04:36 AM
Even with the bustling metropolis of El Paso an hour away?! ;)

Full disclosure, born in ELP :)

Two of my three kids were born there. Stationed there for four years, actually had two stops there, one for Officers Basic. I love El Paso. Best Mexican food in the universe, there must be a thousand little "holes in the wall" along Alameda that have five star Mexican food.

When it comes to sports, Bum Phillips wasn't that far off. During his short tenure as UTEP's football coach, he was heard to say, "Cain't recruit here." Really puts Haskins' achievements in perspective.

NMSU is a tougher sell, as far as athletic recruiting goes. Then I look at a school like Pepperdine, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, and shake my head.

Bogozags
03-14-2017, 07:15 AM

Last time I drove through there in '14, it sure seemed as though there was no space between the two cities, much like Dallas & Ft. Worth is today...IMO it is just hard to recruit to either NMSU or UNM...

TexasZagFan
03-14-2017, 07:37 AM
Last time I drove through there in '14, it sure seemed as though there was no space between the two cities, much like Dallas & Ft. Worth is today...IMO it is just hard to recruit to either NMSU or UNM...

I haven't been there in several years. I'm sure the drive on I-10 from EP to LC is usually congested. I remember when the eastern edge of EP ended at Lee Trevino Drive. It's at least 10 miles farther out now.

Bogozags
03-14-2017, 07:51 AM
I haven't been there in several years. I'm sure the drive on I-10 from EP to LC is usually congested. I remember when the eastern edge of EP ended at Lee Trevino Drive. It's at least 10 miles farther out now.

Traffic is crazy between the two...my first time driving through El Paso was in '71 and the city has just gotten larger than life...but do agree about all the mom and pops Mexican restaurants on Alameda...I could spend a month of Sundays on that street alone just eating and drinking beer.

GoZags
03-14-2017, 08:32 AM
Interesting to see John Rillie named first in this piece on the Dollar firing at Seattle U.

https://cbbcentral.wordpress.com/2017/03/13/seattle-fires-cameron-dollar/

There a few candidates that come to mind immediately when I consider this vacancy. One would be current Boise State assistant John Rillie. Rillie has helped lead Boise State to the top of the Mountain West despite being new to the conference, and has deep ties to the Pacific Northwest.

seacatfan
03-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Is Wayne Tinkle on the hot seat? I could see a hot mid-major market for him.

OSU had a terrible year, but I can't imagine he's on the hot seat already, a mere one season after guiding them to their first NCAA Tourney bid since Gary Payton played there (The Glove, not The Mitten).

bartruff1
03-14-2017, 09:51 AM

Sili, where the hell have you been ? I thought you would be talking smack about Creighton all season...

As I recall, Baylor got a couple quick fouls and that was about it....I will never have any respect for Rupp..

maynard g krebs
03-14-2017, 11:41 AM

Roy has 1 year of coaching hs, and that consisted of basically handing the ball to Porter, the best hs player I have ever seen live, and his group of elite transfers. I suppose he'd be a great recruiter, and his name would bring in players as Terry Porter's seems to be doing at Portland. If he hired a couple of top notch, experienced assistants maybe.

But I wonder if Roy is basically a hobbyist coaching hs for something to do. He's got more money than his great great grandchildren will ever need, and might just enjoy being a hs coach for fun and to occupy his time and stay involved in the game. Just speculation, but who knows if he'd want to take on a tough project like SU.

sittingon50
03-14-2017, 12:08 PM
OSU had a terrible year, but I can't imagine he's on the hot seat already, a mere one season after guiding them to their first NCAA Tourney bid since Gary Payton played there (The Glove, not The Mitten).

Injury bug really got them this year, IIRC.

seacatfan
03-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Injury bug really got them this year, IIRC.

Yeah, his son Tres missed almost the entire season, assistant coach's son Thompson missed a handful of games, several other guys too. And I think they missed GPII even more than they thought they would.

Another Thompson on the way next year, McLaughlin had his moments as a Fr. If Tinkle is back healthy next year they should definitely show improvement.

sittingon50
03-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Lots of talk about Crean leaving Indiana for a "soft landing" job at Mizzou. He's not really on the hot seat, but is tired of all the job pressure.

Have heard very little about the NC State job. I've heard Archie isn't likely to take it. He's waiting for a blue blood.

Imagine trying to hire for the Alabama A&M job. Here's what we have to offer......11 straight road games and a bus to start off your season.

Crean loses 1st round NIT game by 12 to Georgia Tech. That can't be good.

VinnyZag
03-15-2017, 12:14 PM
Cuonzo Martin to Missouri, according to Goodman:

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanESPN

Cuonzo Martin is in final stages of a 7-year deal with Missouri, source told ESPN.

So, does Cal offer a truckload of cash to Randy Bennett?

seacatfan
03-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Wow, Cuonzo is a well traveled guy. Don't know if he was feeling some heat at Cal, but that seems like a demotion as bad as Mizzou has been. They have some history and tradition, but they've fallen so far. Mike Anderson and Haith were fairly successful but Kim Anderson has been a disaster!

Zag_Dad
03-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Cuonzo Martin to Missouri, according to Goodman:

So, does Cal offer a truckload of cash to Randy Bennett?

Other than geography, is there any reason to believe this is a possibility? Curious whether Bennett is like Few (recognizes a good thing when he has it) or if he'll jump ship for the money.

Birddog
03-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Wow, Cuonzo is a well traveled guy. Don't know if he was feeling some heat at Cal, but that seems like a demotion as bad as Mizzou has been. They have some history and tradition, but they've fallen so far. Mike Anderson and Haith were fairly successful but Kim Anderson has been a disaster!

This move sounds crazy to me, Mizzou Athletics and the University in general are on the ropes right now.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2017, 01:08 PM
This move sounds crazy to me, Mizzou Athletics and the University in general are on the ropes right now.

Closer to home, and $3+ mil a year for 7 years. Only way to go is up at Mizzou. Easier to do in the SEC than Pac 12, SEC's a football conference.

seacatfan
03-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Closer to home, and $3+ mil a year for 7 years. Only way to go is up at Mizzou. Easier to do in the SEC than Pac 12, SEC's a football conference.

Yeah but he's already been in the SEC at Tennessee, and got out of Dodge before he got fired there. He's had a bit of strange coaching career thus far. I think he's mediocre at best, he had a ton of talent at Cal last year and didn't do that much with it.

VinnyZag
03-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Other than geography, is there any reason to believe this is a possibility? Curious whether Bennett is like Few (recognizes a good thing when he has it) or if he'll jump ship for the money.

Geography is the only reason. When the small school down the road is killing it, that seems like it would be hard to ignore.

MickMick
03-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Rumor heating up that Romar is finished at UW. Sooner rather than later.

VinnyZag
03-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Goodman again:

@GoodmanESPN

Washington has parted ways with Lorenzo Romar, sources told ESPN.

Zag_Dad
03-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Goodman again:

Not sure how I feel about this .... I really enjoyed seeing him march his future NBA players into Spokane to sit on his hands and watch them get dismantled. I hope they don't hire someone that will put up a fight.

scrooner
03-15-2017, 02:24 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18916641/washington-huskies-fire-lorenzo-romar-9-22-season

Rangerzag
03-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Romar gone per Seattle Times:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/report-washington-fires-lorenzo-romar/

sittingon50
03-15-2017, 03:22 PM
:confused:

Genuinely surprised that they ate that $3.2 mill.

Good man by all accounts, poor Coach. Wish him well.

Birddog
03-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Martin going closer to home, he's originally from E St Louis Ill. he got a 7 year deal at Mizzou. His post season record isn't exactly great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuonzo_Martin

sittingon50
03-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Portland St. fires Tyler Geving:

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegebasketball/index.ssf/2017/03/vikings_announce_tyler_geving.html

Hoopaholic
03-15-2017, 07:46 PM
Romar to Seattle u with his recruiting class?

sittingon50
03-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Tom Crean:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/

ezcure17
03-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Dropping like flies!!

LouisianaZag
03-16-2017, 12:11 PM
You are absolutely right about LSU. NO reason for them not to have a good program. I am not saying a Kentucky-like team but a respectable program

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 04:13 PM
UNC Wilmington's Keats reported to be hired by NC State.

Birddog
03-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Do you really think Indiana will replace this guy
http://media1.picsearch.com/is?LFoZ4Eo2GbHqZYbAEFDrGON2Q4QzKIQxQmApUUsVx28&height=341

with this guy?
http://media1.picsearch.com/is?pFSSM_a7M-uby0uOQ6gJ5ZDUGNBNoETLqqgilTq3Gmw&height=249

Zag4Hire
03-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Alford trending for Indiana. Taking a bit of schadenfreude from UCLA's level of distraction. Jazz's fave, Donovan, also getting some nibbles. I think they ultimately pull the trigger with Alford so that would open up another interesting head coaching spot.

basketballzag
03-17-2017, 05:12 PM
You are absolutely right about LSU. NO reason for them not to have a good program. I am not saying a Kentucky-like team but a respectable program

LSU needs to tear down the PMAC but even with that the Athletic Department doesn't like basketball overshadowing the football program which is why Dale Brown was ultimately let go.

seacatfan
03-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Alford trending for Indiana. Taking a bit of schadenfreude from UCLA's level of distraction. Jazz's fave, Donovan, also getting some nibbles. I think they ultimately pull the trigger with Alford so that would open up another interesting head coaching spot.

I can just about guarantee you the Indiana fan base would be unhappy w/ hiring Alford within 3-4 years, if it even takes that long. UCLA probably wouldn't be that sorry to see him go and saves them a ton on his bloated contract.

CDC84
03-17-2017, 05:58 PM
Miller vs. Marshall....sounds like an audition for the Indiana job. And right there in Indianapolis. And Marshall wins.

If I were Indiana....I would take Miller over Alford. They need to continue to distance themselves from the Knight era and move on. He has the recruiting connections in that area, but he's a much more likeable person. Marshall might grate on the nerves of Indiana boosters and media.

Birddog
03-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Underwood leaving Oklahoma St for Ill after just one year. So much for his "found my home back in the Big 8/12" BS

seacatfan
03-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Underwood leaving Oklahoma St for Ill after just one year. So much for his "found my home back in the Big 8/12" BS

Wow! At least he stayed a year, unlike the guy that jumped Arkansas St. to UNLV to somewhere else after a day.

Not sure that's really an upward move for Underwood. Illinois has been a career killer for a while now.

Birddog
03-18-2017, 01:04 PM
He flew in with the team and arrived last night at 8 PM, without telling anyone an Illinois charter jet picked him and his family up this morning and flew him to Champaign. The deal had to have been in the works for awhile. Ill is the stepping stone to either Kansas or Kansas St, except Weber is reportedly on the hotseat.

OSU fans are really pissed, this is a lot like what Les Miles pulled off in football some years back. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he finds a steaming load of manure on his driveway when he returns.

sittingon50
03-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Whoa!!!!

webspinnre
03-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Miller vs. Marshall....sounds like an audition for the Indiana job. And right there in Indianapolis. And Marshall wins.

If I were Indiana....I would take Miller over Alford. They need to continue to distance themselves from the Knight era and move on. He has the recruiting connections in that area, but he's a much more likeable person. Marshall might grate on the nerves of Indiana boosters and media.

Marshall is a great coach, but I agree that Miller would be a fantastic hire/fit at UI.

jazzdelmar
03-19-2017, 10:48 AM
ESPN reporting mike Hopkins, Orange head coach in waiting, is new UW coach. Odd.

madness
03-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Get ready for a steady zone defense from the Dawgs. Good hire, has LA ties.

MJ777
03-19-2017, 10:53 AM
A So Cal guy that played at Syracuse. Was he SU's west coast recruiter?

jazzdelmar
03-19-2017, 10:56 AM
A So Cal guy that played at Syracuse. Was he SU's west coast recruiter?

More than that he was Boohem's putative successor

MTZag03
03-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Get ready for a steady zone defense from the Dawgs. Good hire, has LA ties.

That'll be good for GU to get done exposure to during the season. I wonder how well he recruits.

SLOZag
03-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Anyone have a thought as to whether a coaching change that results in pure zone defense would encourage players to look elsewhere?

Zagceo
03-19-2017, 11:03 AM
Mater Dei Alum (http://www.materdei.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=66349&type=d&pREC_ID=117030)....

RenoZag
03-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Chicago Tribune story re: Underwood

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-brad-underwood-illinois-hiring-reaction-20170318-story.html

“He didn’t light the fire at Oklahoma State. He JUST got the job. I’m shocked. I can’t believe Illinois came after him so fast. For $25 million, the number people kept throwing around, I was thinking Archie (Miller) or Buzz (Williams) or Gregg Marshall. I was ready for a big splash. But I think Underwood is a good coach, a very good coach. Recruiting will be key. I don’t know the last time he recruited (the state of Illinois) but Illinois is more of a national job anyway.”

75Zag
03-19-2017, 11:14 AM
By reputation, an excellent recruiter and coach of guards. Also by reputation a guy who has a pretty strict approach to team discipline and rules, etc. No idea how an East Coast guy (grew up in Orange County but all East Coast since then) will do in West Coast recruiting. Some have suggested he needs to hire an assistant with Puget Sound connections but who knows. Two years ago he was "officially designated" to replace the current 'Cuse coach. Something must have happened at 'Cuse to make him bolt.

See you in San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

nish_mode
03-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Zags should swoop in and get will conroy on the payroll.

Birddog
03-19-2017, 01:31 PM
Underwood also put butts back in the seats and a lot of big time programs need that, don't know about Illinois specifically. I also think Illinois has lost a ton of relevance in the last 10 years. Oklahoma St fans are really pissed, Underwood skipped a meeting with the OSU AD on Thursday, so he probably knew then that he was leaving. The players were blindsided and are very disappointed.

DixieZag
03-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Maybe should've waited and seen if Collins was interested. He rebuilt another program out of the ashes, also good academics, large recruiting area. Why not? All he could say is no.

Had a funny thought. Few is such a good man - I respect him wanting to help the guys who are down and out of a job. What if he invited Romar to come over and help us ....well, help us. :) I wouldn't object.

CDC84
03-21-2017, 01:23 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/indiana-hoosiers-basketball-coach-roster-recruiting-candidates-crean-alford/kx2hw6tfbqwe1reh7vsdi3mmi

The latest on the IU search is that they want Alford bad, but it will come at a great cost. I think it's near 11 million bucks to buy out UCLA and Crean.

As this article implies, I think they are making a mistake by going after Alford. He doesn't have a long enough track record to prove that he's a great coach. I would rather hire Miller or Mack. Both guys have the personalities and the MW recruiting ties to succeed at IU.

I also feel it is imperative that IU do everything it can to distance itself from the Knight era. No former players or coaches should be on their list. Red Sweater has made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with IU anymore. He won't even attend celebrations for his former players. It's time to move on.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-21-2017, 04:27 PM
Maybe should've waited and seen if Collins was interested. He rebuilt another program out of the ashes, also good academics, large recruiting area. Why not? All he could say is no.

Had a funny thought. Few is such a good man - I respect him wanting to help the guys who are down and out of a job. What if he invited Romar to come over and help us ....well, help us. :) I wouldn't object.

Something about Bigfoot's baby comes to mind...

LouisianaZag
03-21-2017, 06:31 PM
He flew in with the team and arrived last night at 8 PM, without telling anyone an Illinois charter jet picked him and his family up this morning and flew him to Champaign. The deal had to have been in the works for awhile. Ill is the stepping stone to either Kansas or Kansas St, except Weber is reportedly on the hotseat.

OSU fans are really pissed, this is a lot like what Les Miles pulled off in football some years back. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he finds a steaming load of manure on his driveway when he returns.
He wasnt happy at OSU. Offered him $1million take it or leave it and it rubbed him the wrong way. Left for $3million at Illinois

Birddog
03-21-2017, 06:47 PM
He wasnt happy at OSU. Offered him $1million take it or leave it and it rubbed him the wrong way. Left for $3million at Illinois

They were in the process of negotiating and OSU had offered 2.2M, the 1M was for this last year. Holder pissed him off, but Underwood was disingenuous. I don't think Holder would have offered 6 years like Ill did either having just been burned by his deal and buyout with Ford. Underwood was likely well on in his negotiation with Ill 2 weeks ago while he was saying how much he liked the OSU family. Lots of blame to go around in this deal.

VinnyZag
03-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Randy Bennett is staying with SMC, according to Andy Katz and others on Twitter:

Andy Katz@ESPNAndyKatz
Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett said in a text that he is staying with the Gaels. He had been mentioned as a possible candidate at Cal. Bennett is expected to receive an extension sometime this spring. Bennett led the Gaels to the round of 32 before losing to Arizona in Salt Lake City. Bennett has led the Gaels to six NCAA appearances since 2001, 3 WCC titles (1 outright).

gaels87
03-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Randy Bennett is staying with SMC, according to Andy Katz and others on Twitter:

From Jeff Goodman...
Saint Mary's Randy Bennett not in mix for Cal job, source told ESPN. Source said he "never really pursued it."

sittingon50
03-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Hoyas dismiss JT III:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18984268/georgetown-hoyas-parting-ways-john-thompson-iii

TexasZagFan
03-23-2017, 11:48 AM
From Jeff Goodman...
Saint Mary's Randy Bennett not in mix for Cal job, source told ESPN. Source said he "never really pursued it."

Until another team arises to seriously contend for the #2 slot in the WCC, Bennett's got a sweet gig.

TexasZagFan
03-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Hoyas dismiss JT III:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18984268/georgetown-hoyas-parting-ways-john-thompson-iii

Not entirely unexpected, but big news nevertheless.

Would Shaka Smart leave Texas for Georgetown (pure speculation on my part). Shaka always seemed like an East Coast guy.

RenoZag
03-23-2017, 12:02 PM
http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2017/3/22/15026098/eric-musselman-california-golden-bears-coach-search-nevada-wolf-pack

UNR's Musselman not interested in the Cal job either

CDC84
03-23-2017, 12:37 PM
I don't know of a coach that was given more chances than JT III

He has been criticized a number of years for using an offensive system that is not designed for the NBA level players he used to get. Once G'Town started getting sent home from the tournament year after year for not allowing those players to flourish in an offensive system that best suited their abilities, and once the Big East blew up, the talent stopped coming. G'Town is a shadow of its former self.

CDC84
03-23-2017, 12:41 PM
From Jeff Goodman...

This is the part I don't understand about stupid AD's. Why should Randy have to pursue anything. It's the AD's who should be pursuing him as one of the greatest basketball minds in college basketball. They are the people that should be coming in with the big contract. Just don't get it. I guess there's a whole lot of BCS schools who don't care about winning, because that's all that Randy does.

I keep waiting for the AD who doesn't use a search firm to get feelers. None of that. A courageous AD who just walks into Randy's office and says: "Here it is, 18 million over 6 years. We want you to coach our basketball program to greatness."

jazzdelmar
03-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Not entirely unexpected, but big news nevertheless.

Would Shaka Smart leave Texas for Georgetown (pure speculation on my part). Shaka always seemed like an East Coast guy.

Shaka unhappy at Texas.

U Zig, I Zag
03-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Randy plays a certain way with certain types of guys. Would he be able to do that everywhere? I don't know him to just play someone because they are 'lanky and bouncy'. They all seem to buy into the system pretty well. Unless a team wants him to bring those kinds of guys (the Aussies)?

CDC84
03-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Patrick Ewing is supposedly a candidate for the G'Town job. Has he ever coached at the college level?

The Clyde Drexler thing at Houston didn't work out. Bringing back the NBA alum rarely works.

Zagdawg
03-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Doug Gottlieb on Indiana Job: “I’ve been told the Steve Alford thing is done.”

seacatfan
03-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Doug Gottlieb on Indiana Job: “I’ve been told the Steve Alford thing is done.”

I'm sure this kind of stuff happens just about every year, but there's no way in hell Alford should be arranging for a new job next year while his team is still playing. That's just not a good situation. Could see both him and his players being distracted by this and having it effect their performance.

Zagdawg
03-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Agree---- I wonder if someone put it out there just to get UCLA rattled.

seacatfan
03-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Agree---- I wonder if someone put it out there just to get UCLA rattled.

If so, that's bush league.

Birddog
03-24-2017, 10:49 AM
And Gottlieb is jockeying for the vacant Okla St job while doing this.

MDABE80
03-24-2017, 10:52 AM
The one thing about Alford and UCLA is this: until this year he'd done marginal work. FUrther, he's one "Lonzo Ball" away from being shown the door. Likewise with the Ball younger brothers. Alford is one Ball player away from the door. One Ball brother and the crazy Ball dad. lol !! Does this sound like a good situation??
IU wants to pay him $ 10 million. The weather is great in Westwood and so is the money. But the brain strain is intolerable.

seacatfan
03-24-2017, 10:57 AM
I agree Abe. Most UCLA fans won't be too sad if he leaves, in fact they'll probably be fairly happy if IU takes him and his big contract off their hands. Of course then they're back to the problem of finding a fitting successor to Wooden, something they've been struggling to do for 40 years now!

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 11:11 AM
The one thing about Alford and UCLA is this: until this year he'd done marginal work. FUrther, he's one "Lonzo Ball" away from being shown the door. Likewise with the Ball younger brothers. Alford is one Ball player away from the door. One Ball brother and the crazy Ball dad. lol !! Does this sound like a good situation??
IU wants to pay him $ 10 million. The weather is great in Westwood and so is the money. But the brain strain is intolerable.

Here's one teensy tiny factoid to consider: the state income tax rate for Indiana is 3.5%, give or take. The state income tax rate for California tops out at 13%+, and there's no itemized deduction for keeping Lavar Ball happy.

Never been to Indiana, but I'm sure there are some very scenic areas near the IU campus.

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 11:13 AM
I agree Abe. Most UCLA fans won't be too sad if he leaves, in fact they'll probably be fairly happy if IU takes him and his big contract off their hands. Of course then they're back to the problem of finding a fitting successor to Wooden, something they've been struggling to do for 40 years now!

Ya think Marshall's wife took her hubby out of consideration for jobs opening? I'm sure the current price tag for Gregg is pricey for some schools, too, considering what WVU is paying him.

amaronizag
03-24-2017, 11:16 AM
A successor to Wooden? Easy--Bill Walton, the greatest champion ever from the conference of champions.....what could go wrong? How could they lose??? I would love to watch Walton fail the program. Walton's BS would seem to complement the Ball fathers. We would quickly learn how well Walton was at chasing loose Balls and whether he would get his Balls busted or become a Ball buster.

maynard g krebs
03-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Never been to Indiana, but I'm sure there are some very scenic areas near the IU campus.

Only if you're a fan of corn. It does get pretty tall there, so there's that.

sittingon50
03-24-2017, 11:40 AM
A successor to Wooden? Easy--Bill Walton, the greatest champion ever from the conference of champions.....what could go wrong? How could they lose??? I would love to watch Walton fail the program. Walton's BS would seem to complement the Ball fathers. We would quickly learn how well Walton was at chasing loose Balls and whether he would get his Balls busted or become a Ball buster.

I'll bet Walton would be a great Coach. The TV thing is one side. The other is the guy is really bright. But at 64 yrs. old, I would guess it ain't happenin'.

Birddog
03-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Local press saying Gottlieb will not be Oklahoma St.s next basketball coach. Take his name out of the hat, he's on to Fox Sports mid April.

NEC26
03-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Found this odd.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/report-pat-kelsey-bails-on-umass-press-conference-turns-down-job-at-last-minute/

seacatfan
03-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Only if you're a fan of corn. It does get pretty tall there, so there's that.

I'm definitely snobbish about living out west and the incredible scenery, but the midwest gets a bit of a bum rap. My brother lives near Dayton, OH. There's actually some cool stuff nearby, not just corn fields. He was in the Air Force 20 years and lived in 5 states during his career. He (and I by extension) has learned no matter where you are, there's probably some good stuff not too far away.

CDC84
03-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Here's one teensy tiny factoid to consider: the state income tax rate for Indiana is 3.5%, give or take. The state income tax rate for California tops out at 13%+, and there's no itemized deduction for keeping Lavar Ball happy.

The other thing Tex is that you wouldn't believe the housing market in Westwood and in neighboring areas. One of the major issues with Howland when he took the job would be if his assistants would be paid enough to get housing near UCLA. The assistants bust their tails so much that the last thing they need is 3 hours on the freeway which deprives them of family time and sleep.

CDC84
03-24-2017, 11:56 AM
A well respected college basketball analyst once said that the worst reason to hire a coach is because he went to your school. And if even more so if he played in the NBA and has zero college coaching experience.

maynard g krebs
03-24-2017, 12:00 PM
I'm definitely snobbish about living out west and the incredible scenery, but the midwest gets a bit of a bum rap. My brother lives near Dayton, OH. There's actually some cool stuff nearby, not just corn fields. He was in the Air Force 20 years and lived in 5 states during his career. He (and I by extension) has learned no matter where you are, there's probably some good stuff not too far away.

I'm quite familiar with the midwest. Elem school years in Minn; lived in Madison in the 90's for a couple years. Traveled it extensively for years as a vendor on concert tours, festivals etc.

Minnesota and Wisconsin are beautiful, as is northern Michigan. Far southern Indiana has some nice wooded rolling hills. Ohio has some nice areas, again mostly in the south. Southern Illinios is quite beautiful as well, with woods, rolling hills and lakes. (SIU is the school of choice for a lot of Chicago kids.)

But except for the southern hills, Indiana is a bunch of cornfields, totally flat as far as the eye can see. The state highways go for 50 miles at a stretch w/o so much as a curve. The scenery consists of the occasional silo.

NEC26
03-24-2017, 01:01 PM
Randy Bennet will not be going to Cal it seems.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/cal-promotes-assistant-wyking-jones-to-replace-coach-cuonzo-martin/

TexasZagFan
03-24-2017, 01:28 PM
The other thing Tex is that you wouldn't believe the housing market in Westwood and in neighboring areas. One of the major issues with Howland when he took the job would be if his assistants would be paid enough to get housing near UCLA. The assistants bust their tails so much that the last thing they need is 3 hours on the freeway which deprives them of family time and sleep.

Yes, it's pretty wild out there. I got to know the housing costs quite well during my tenure at the FDIC (during the banking crisis). Up until 2007 or so, Californians put up with the cost of living and taxes by taking advantage of the growth in market value of their houses, either by flipping or refinancing. Then the SHTF and collapsed the whole thing.

To put it in perspective, the market value of my home is a bit more than double what I paid for it 20 years ago. When the Cowboys sucked, market values were flatter than a pancake. They've since moved on to Frisco, and my 'burb is now a favored landing spot for H-1b holders. Big D (technically a white Hispanic) is the only white kid in his class, and 80% of his classmates live in a HH where English is the second language (primary being Chinese, Hindu, Farsi, and Korean...not Spanish, figure that one out).

Apologies for straying...I spent two months studying the regs for HAMP mortgages. The aftermath of my studies would lead to two contractors voluntarily resigning from their contracts. Surprise, surprise...they were using HAMP to maximize their cash flow at the expense of the homeowners, and they were holding on to incentives that should have gone to us (the FDIC) as the "investor". Oh, there were homeowners trying to game the system, too, and we stopped their gaming, too.

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 01:30 PM
So I see the tax payers of Washington wasted 300,000 in hiring porter as assistant to get his son to commit

Now porter senior hired at Missouri and son just signed there

Flat out disgusting in my book and should not be allowed...

Birddog
03-24-2017, 03:45 PM
So I see the tax payers of Washington wasted 300,000 in hiring porter as assistant to get his son to commit

Now porter senior hired at Missouri and son just signed there

Flat out disgusting in my book and should not be allowed...

Did the son actually commit to Mizzou? I don't think you can sign till April 12 or so. He is looking (probably not seriously) at Oklahoma too.

Birddog
03-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Mike Boynton named Head Coach at Oklahoma St. He was an assistant under Brad Underwood. Lots of headscratching going on in these parts but apparently he really wowed the interview and the current team loves him.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-hires-mike-boynton-as-next-basketball-coach/article/5542949

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Did the son actually commit to Mizzou? I don't think you can sign till April 12 or so. He is looking (probably not seriously) at Oklahoma too.

Announced today

Hoopaholic
03-24-2017, 03:51 PM
Cal promotes from within

Wyking jones

seacatfan
03-24-2017, 05:27 PM
Does it seem like all these positions are getting filled quickly? Not seeing any of the flailing around, whiffing on the top 2 or 3 choices before having to settle type of searches that we've seen sometimes in the past.

ScrapironJim
03-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Alford will go. He is a political conservative and a devout Christian. He fits into the Indiana culture. He also has family in the state.

I have some experience in both LA and Indiana and I can say emphatically that the people in Indiana are worlds class friendly. LA not so much . . . I am being polite here.

Birddog
03-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Does it seem like all these positions are getting filled quickly? Not seeing any of the flailing around, whiffing on the top 2 or 3 choices before having to settle type of searches that we've seen sometimes in the past.

ADs at OSU and at Cal have budget problems so that may be why they stayed in house. Lots of candidates are still coaching so some of the other positions are still open.

Zagdawg
03-25-2017, 08:32 AM
CollegeBasketbllTalk‏ @CBTonNBC 29s30 seconds ago
More
Indiana to hire Dayton head coach Archie Miller

seacatfan
03-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Doug Gottlieb on Indiana Job: Ive been told the Steve Alford thing is done.

So...Gottlieb needs better sources or something. Pretty bad to make a statement like that and then be wrong.

hondo
03-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Don't tell me that there is nothing to see or do in the Midwest.

https://youtu.be/r965Zzcdjhg

Zag4Hire
03-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Sources stating Georgetown is considering Ewing. Wow.

maynard g krebs
03-25-2017, 11:07 AM
So...Gottlieb needs better sources or something. Pretty bad to make a statement like that and then be wrong.

I thought "I've been told the Alford thing is done" was ambiguous; could be read either way. Could mean they had a deal, but on first reading I thought done meant over, as in not happening. Poor wording either way.

seacatfan
03-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Ah, you're right. I took it as in done deal, but that could definitely also mean not happening. Confusing.

CDC84
03-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Remember how Clyde the Glide panned out at Houston?

It doesn't work even though people think it might work on the surface.

CDC84
03-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Alford said after the game he wasn't interested in the IU job. I still want some more time to go by before I take him seriously.

BTW - I hate when reporters ask questions like that right after a NCAA tourney loss. It's disrespectful after a loss when the coach has saddened players surrounding him. No coach is just going to stand up with the mike and say, "Hee-Haw, I'm heading off to Indiana!!!"

seacatfan
03-25-2017, 12:13 PM
Alford said after the game he wasn't interested in the IU job. I still want some more time to go by before I take him seriously.

BTW - I hate when reporters ask questions like that right after a NCAA tourney loss. It's disrespectful after a loss when the coach has saddened players surrounding him. No coach is just going to stand up with the mike and say, "Hee-Haw, I'm heading off to Indiana!!!"

Totally agree. I still remember the fairly mild mannered Roy Williams losing his cool when they asked him that immediately after losing either in the Final 4 or Championship game when he was still at Kansas.

But as far as Alford and Indiana, it's being reported today that Archie Miller will be the new coach at IU.

Hoopaholic
03-25-2017, 12:14 PM

Straw man for John sr

GoZags
03-27-2017, 04:53 AM
I'll add this tidbit here .....

Shortly after the Sweet 16 loss to Michigan State in '01 (after beating Virginia and Indiana State) the University of South Carolina was the first Power 5 school that made a strong "pitch" to Mark Few. Fewie had taken the Zags to back to back Sweet 16's after the '99 Elite 8 (when he was Associate Head Coach under Munse). This was the first "no" for Mark ... and now we're meeting in the Final Four. How cool is that.

What's interesting (to me anyway) is the 2nd time Mark was approached ... by Virginia. The staff was in the office when this huge box appeared .... address to Mark Few. They opened it up an inside was a scale model of John Paul Jones Arena on the campus of the University of Virginia ... with a note that they wanted Mark to be their coach when the new facility was opened.

Indiana .... UCLA .... Oregon .... Arizona ..... Washington etc are the more "publicized" schools that have gone after Fewie.

But it started with the Gamecocks of South Carolina .... (who ended up opening the vault and hiring Dave Odom away from Wake Forest)

VaBeachZAG
03-27-2017, 05:13 AM

As a kid I hiked the brown hills around Yakima just as Justice Douglas did as a youngster.

Zagdawg
03-27-2017, 06:53 AM
After several top UW players and recruits bailed on the basketball program, two players — David Crisp and Carlos Johnson — said they're going to stay and play for Mike Hopkins, who is taking over the program from fired coach Lorenzo Romar. Another familiar face: Cameron Dollar, fired from Seattle U, will join Hopkins' coaching staff.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/huskies-insider-blog/article140804423.html

vandalzag
03-27-2017, 06:58 AM
After several top UW players and recruits bailed on the basketball program, two players — David Crisp and Carlos Johnson — said they're going to stay and play for Mike Hopkins, who is taking over the program from fired coach Lorenzo Romar. Another familiar face: Cameron Dollar, fired from Seattle U, will join Hopkins' coaching staff.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/huskies-insider-blog/article140804423.html

Good for Cameron now he can continue his family vacations in Clarkston.

Birddog
03-27-2017, 07:00 AM

Good one!

sittingon50
03-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Good one!

Seconded!

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Rumor on some Husky boards is that Dickerson is having a change of heart and may stay after all.

sittingon50
03-28-2017, 07:04 AM
Zips Coach moves along:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19018758/duquesne-dukes-hiring-keith-dambrot-akron-zips

hondo
03-28-2017, 08:40 AM

Thirded

CDC84
03-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Remember how Clyde the Glide panned out at Houston?

It doesn't work even though people think it might work on the surface.

It is true, however, that Patrick has paid his dues as an assistant in the NBA. But the truth is the truth.....most NBA coaches have a harder transition coaching in college than the other way around. In the NBA it's all about games. In college there's this little thing called recruiting, and players will not come to your program just because you're a big name. You have to work your tail off. And then pleasing all the boosters and such.

CDC84
03-28-2017, 09:39 AM
Thirded

It's to my understanding that Clarkston is blooming with more pizza restaurants with arcade rooms than ever before.

I like the Hopkins hire, but I can't say that I am impressed by his assistant hires. But again, this might be the result of UW's financial problems. They may not be able to shell out big bucks for a top notch assistant.

BTW - Indiana got it right. Archie Miller is perfect for them. He can handle the heat, he can recruit the Midwest, and he can do the X's and O's. IU has finally got the right man for the job.

ZagZombie
03-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Jim Hayford hired by Seattle U. http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seattle-university/seattle-university-hires-mens-basketball-coach-jim-hayford-away-from-eastern-washington/

sittingon50
03-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Interesting.

Wonder what Jim's vision is for that program? Seems like a lateral move to me. Thoughts?

former1dog
03-29-2017, 11:59 AM
Interesting.

Wonder what Jim's vision is for that program? Seems like a lateral move to me. Thoughts?

I guess it probably came down to $$pay? Does Coach Hayford have Western Washington roots?

Mr Vulture
03-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Strange move to me although Seattle is a much better recruiting ground than being the 3rd option in Eastern Washington behind Gonzaga and WSU.

sittingon50
03-29-2017, 07:35 PM
As of earlier today:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18846025/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-which-head-coaches-coming-2017

maynard g krebs
03-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Seems like a no-brainer to me that Seattle U has a much higher ceiling than Eastern just due to location and a bit of history. Got a very good pg coming in, the kid from West Seattle.

seacatfan
03-29-2017, 09:57 PM
ZagZombie has that always been your avatar? Didn't notice before but that's the singer Lights isn't it. Just discovered her recently.

ZagZombie
03-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Correct, I've used her for a few years, I just rarely post comments

sittingon50
03-29-2017, 10:51 PM
Seems like a no-brainer to me that Seattle U has a much higher ceiling than Eastern just due to location and a bit of history. Got a very good pg coming in, the kid from West Seattle.

Was more looking at the leagues, maynard. Big Sky just seems more stable to me. Plus SU has no on campus facility & uw (i.e. Pac 12) will continue to get the better players in the area, IMO.

Again, seems pretty lateral.

hegotit!
03-30-2017, 07:38 AM
My first thoughts were its a step down, almost like going back to Whitworth. Maybe if he turns it around, they haven't had much success in recent years, he jumps for pac12 asstistant job? Cost of living has to cancel out the pay increase. Maybe the new challenge of improving the program? Still left wondering though why he would leave the Big Sky Conf for the Wac? Anyone have some good answers?

maynard g krebs
03-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Was more looking at the leagues, maynard. Big Sky just seems more stable to me. Plus SU has no on campus facility & uw (i.e. Pac 12) will continue to get the better players in the area, IMO.

Again, seems pretty lateral.

All true, but imo Hayford can get better players to come to Seattle U than he can get to Cheney. Apparently he thinks so too. And he plays a high scoring style that kids like. If he can keep Nate Pryor he has a pg to build around. At the game I attended, Pryor was good enough that they had a lead on Nathan Hale, the national #1, going into the 4th quarter. Nettles from Seattle Prep is pretty good too.

RenoZag
03-31-2017, 08:38 AM
Indy Star feature on Tom Crean:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/03/31/doyel-compassionate-tom-crean-not-cartoon-character-you-think-he/99863548/

Really moving piece. I don't know Crean or Doyel or Parrish from Shinola, but the article was compelling.

Birddog
03-31-2017, 08:52 AM
Anthony grant, Thunder assistant and former head coach at VCU and Bama headed to Dayton.

mgadfly
03-31-2017, 09:43 AM
My first thoughts were its a step down, almost like going back to Whitworth. Maybe if he turns it around, they haven't had much success in recent years, he jumps for pac12 asstistant job? Cost of living has to cancel out the pay increase. Maybe the new challenge of improving the program? Still left wondering though why he would leave the Big Sky Conf for the Wac? Anyone have some good answers?

The WAC was 17th nationally while the big Sky was 26th. So I think it is a decent step up. Plus, GCU is a good addition to that league and is willing to invest in basketball. Finally, there are only 8 WAC teams so you have more flexibility in scheduling pay games or resume builders.

As well as the fact that there are more recruits in the Seattle area and less competition for them. I'd argue it is a significantly better job.

sittingon50
04-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Craig Neal out at New Mexico:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19051223/craig-neal-fired-new-mexico-men-basketball-head-coach

Birddog
04-11-2017, 04:24 AM
Scott Sutton at ORU fired after 18 years.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/oru-sports-scott-sutton-released-as-men-s-basketball-coach/article_84b35875-6240-55e3-a15a-a78079155552.html

bartruff1
04-11-2017, 06:36 AM
Indy Star feature on Tom Crean:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/03/31/doyel-compassionate-tom-crean-not-cartoon-character-you-think-he/99863548/

Really moving piece. I don't know Crean or Doyel or Parrish from Shinola, but the article was compelling.

I believe he was the Coach of the Year, last year.....this makes no sense to me.....I like Tom, his brothers in law, not so much. If he doesn't want to coach anymore , I think he would have a career in Television..

sittingon50
04-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Scott Sutton at ORU fired after 18 years.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/oru-sports-scott-sutton-released-as-men-s-basketball-coach/article_84b35875-6240-55e3-a15a-a78079155552.html

"ORU players were also barred from making any comments."

Impressive, on several levels.:fingergun:

sittingon50
04-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Portland St. hires Santa Clara Asst:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2017/04/portland_state_expected_to_nam.html

Birddog
04-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Good luck to the next ORU coach, this policy is crazy.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/bill-haisten-recruiting-policy-hurts-basketball-and-results-in-big/article_d3f30fa6-8cf4-5abf-9cad-5fd452da25e8.html

After Wilson became the university president in June 2013, sources report, he presented to the basketball program a new guideline — that ORU would attempt to recruit only professed Christians.
Instead of recruiting any athlete who was a solid person and academically acceptable while outfitted with the ability to contend for Summit League championships, Scott Sutton did as he was told, sources say. Instead of signing athletes and hoping they might be inspired by the ORU culture, Sutton narrowed his focus to prospects who would testify that they already were Christian.
The results were undeniable. Top to bottom, the last two ORU rosters weren’t as talented as previous Sutton-coached rosters.

Some other stuff was put in place too, like "no visible tatoos".

Oral Roberts was considered to be the founder of the "Prosperity Gospel" , I guess it's not working.

sittingon50
04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Good luck to the next ORU coach, this policy is crazy.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/bill-haisten-recruiting-policy-hurts-basketball-and-results-in-big/article_d3f30fa6-8cf4-5abf-9cad-5fd452da25e8.html

Some other stuff was put in place too, like "no visible tatoos".

That's fine, but then you gotta' have the Coaches back. He finds out from fans @ his daughter's tennis match? That's about as weak as it gets.

sittingon50
04-18-2017, 08:52 AM
New Mexico St. hires:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/new-mexico-state-hires-wichita-state-assistant-chris-jans-to-replace-paul-weir/