PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walton being a dumb ***

Zags11
03-10-2017, 09:46 PM
PAC 12 winner gets #1 seed in west. If not? Throw hands up and say rigged.

What the hell?

ZagaZags
03-10-2017, 09:51 PM
PAC 12 winner gets #1 seed. If not? Throw hands up and say rigged.

What the hell?

You forgot to include #1 seed in the west.

NEC26
03-10-2017, 09:52 PM
He is actually worse than Bob Knight as a color guy.

23dpg
03-10-2017, 09:54 PM
I use to like Walton when he was 80% basketball and 20% schtick. Now that he's flipped those figures he's insufferable.

Zags11
03-10-2017, 09:59 PM
You forgot to include #1 seed in the west.

Oops. Yea probably cuz my anger took over my thought process.

NEC26
03-10-2017, 10:04 PM
His partner is getting pretty tired of him too. He is completely insufferable to listen to. THE worst announcer I have EVER had the misfortune to listen to and we have to endure Heister.

a13coach
03-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Hippie Bill was either off his meds or drunk. Could not believe how hard he tried baiting Pasch to argue with him. :boxing: :explode::vomit-smiley-007:

seacatfan
03-10-2017, 10:20 PM
I keep telling everybody Walton is the worst. Tonight was just normal for him. He's the biggest Pac 12 homer in the world, of course he's going to call for the Pac 12 tourney winner to be a #1 seed. Try not to take anything Walton says too seriously.

MDABE80
03-10-2017, 10:57 PM
AZ looked tough. VERY tough. OR-AZ tomorrow should be a huge game. He's just so inappropriate. A jerk. Not sure why anyone would want to listen to his garbage.

azzagfan
03-11-2017, 02:07 AM
He was tough to listen to through the entirety of the game...ESPN seems to be paying him just to show up and talk about anything he wants. No research, ridiculous use of superlatives to describe routine plays, and he sounds like a constant marketing commercial for the Pac-12 that even probably makes them uncomfortable.

A bit of research across the college basketball spectrum would make a huge difference...watching a game with Bilas on color or one with Walton on color is akin to being in different dimensions...

Jstock12
03-11-2017, 02:34 AM
I am obviously in a minority here (probably a minority of 1), but I love Walton. He's awesome. Though that's entirely based on his NBA commentary, not NCAA.

Zags11
03-11-2017, 03:47 AM
I am obviously in a minority here (probably a minority of 1), but I love Walton. He's awesome. Though that's entirely based on his NBA commentary, not NCAA.

He doesn't bug me most the time but comments last night were annoying as.....

beaverzag
03-11-2017, 04:33 AM
The winner of the PAC-12 tourney (hopefully Arizona) probably should get a #1 seed, just not at Gonzaga's expense. I would drop UNC to the 2 line, have Nova, Kansas, Zags and PAC-12 winner as #1s. Why should the West get only one #1?

jazzdelmar
03-11-2017, 04:45 AM
The winner of the PAC-12 tourney (hopefully Arizona) probably should get a #1 seed, just not at Gonzaga's expense. I would drop UNC to the 2 line, have Nova, Kansas, Zags and PAC-12 winner as #1s. Why should the West get only one #1?

Agree the west has 4 teams in the top 10 right? But sadly how many on the committee?

ZagMan in Philly
03-11-2017, 05:09 AM
Has Walton ever worked on a Gonzaga game??
He seemed to give the Zags no love for even being considered for a #1 seed.
He sounds like a spoiled brat and argumentative.

gonstu
03-11-2017, 05:26 AM

if ducks win, argument for a 1-seed. If zona? don't think so.

now, between ducks and zags, i agree with your comment that both could deserve a 1-seed BUT: which do you think those coaches/teams would rather: a 2-seed in San Jose or a 1-seed in Memphis (I'm assuming nova goes to NY and kansas to K.C.). I'd rather the 2 out west and I bet Fewie does too.

bartruff1
03-11-2017, 05:30 AM
It will do you no good to complain here...complain at ESPN...Walton is the embodiment of everything that is wrong in our culture.. a self centered, loud mouth bully who loves the sound of his voice .

Zigzag92
03-11-2017, 05:53 AM
He is actually worse than Bob Knight as a color guy.

Knight really knows the game I thought he was pretty calm and insightful...Walton and Vitale are both insufferable

coolhandzag
03-11-2017, 05:57 AM
It will do you no good to complain here...complain at ESPN...Walton is the embodiment of everything that is wrong in our culture.. a self centered, loud mouth bully who loves the sound of his voice .

I liked him, Walton, better with the studder.

Zigzag92
03-11-2017, 06:00 AM
Walton is a blowhard and a pac-12 homer but I really wouldnt be surprised if the 4 top seeds are Nova Kansas UNC and Zona/Oregon...whether we get a 2 or 1 the zags probably need to beat one of the three pac-12 heavyweights to get to a final four so Im not sure the seed makes a difference

gonstu
03-11-2017, 06:07 AM
Walton is a blowhard and a pac-12 homer but I really wouldnt be surprised if the 4 top seeds are Nova Kansas UNC and Zona/Oregon...whether we get a 2 or 1 the zags probably need to beat one of the three pac-12 heavyweights to get to a final four so Im not sure the seed makes a difference

I agree that it COULD happen, but I don't think it will.

RPI
Zags: 10
Ducks: 7

Record against RPI top 25
Zags: 6-0
Ducks: 3-2 (If beat Zona today)

Record against RPI top 50
Zags: 6-0
Ducks: 5-2 (that's IF they win today against Zona)

Record against RPI top 100
Zags: 12-1
Ducks: 19-3

A bunch more top 100 wins (FWIW a good chunk of those are RPIs in the 80's and 90's) but otherwise the zags resume compares well.

Zigzag92
03-11-2017, 06:13 AM
If Zona wins I dont think the committee could resist having four darling blue bloods as the top seeds

cjm720
03-11-2017, 06:49 AM
If Zona wins I dont think the committee could resist having four darling blue bloods as the top seeds

But we beat them...would be hard to swallow not having a higher seed. If Oregon wins convincingly I can see them bumping us...

Walton is a tool, but I find him quite entertaining...he can't believe all the dribble he spills!

Zag_Dad
03-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Knight really knows the game I thought he was pretty calm and insightful...Walton and Vitale are both insufferable

I really like Knight calling games. Very good at breaking down what the teams were doing and how/why it worked or didn't work.

MickMick
03-11-2017, 07:18 AM
He has a screw loose.

A trusted friend of mine from Portland told me a story about a private party he attended in Portland long ago that included Bill Walton. Apparently he is the life of the party. I won't go into detail, but the story is entertaining to say the least.

jazzdelmar
03-11-2017, 07:25 AM
I have come to know Bill a little. Really a cool guy. He actually presided at a wedding of friends of ours. And he does great work with challenged athletes foundation. But the first time I met him, I asked him directly if he thought DD would be a good pro and he looked at me with a combination of resignation and disdain. Take that fwiw. But since we have had some better bb chats. A quintessential Cali burnout, however.

CdAZagFan
03-11-2017, 08:01 AM
But we beat them...would be hard to swallow not having a higher seed. If Oregon wins convincingly I can see them bumping us...

I agree completely.... The committee wants mid-majors to go out and play tough competition, but then if they beat the tough competition, they won't be rewarded?

DixieZag
03-11-2017, 08:20 AM
I still don't feel strongly, but I used to like him, but he's continually pushing the envelope getting further and further out there with each game.

TheZagPhish
03-11-2017, 08:23 AM
I have come to know Bill a little. Really a cool guy.

And his taste in music is top notch!

https://cl.ly/jWIH/stealie-lg.jpg

;-)

DixieZag
03-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Human nature sort of dictates that if we played today with "The third big match-up between these two rival top 20 teams" and won the way we did, people wouldn't throw us off that line quite so easily. Doesn't apply to Walton, the PAC Rainmaker, but for others.

seacatfan
03-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Has Walton ever worked on a Gonzaga game??
He seemed to give the Zags no love for even being considered for a #1 seed.
He sounds like a spoiled brat and argumentative.

He did one Gonzaga game, along with Heister. It was...bizarre. But he was overflowing w/ praise for Few and GU.

edited--maybe I'm getting confused, maybe it wasn't a GU game, but I know he worked w/ Heister once this season and he was very complimentary of the Zags program

seacatfan
03-11-2017, 09:15 AM
if ducks win, argument for a 1-seed. If zona? don't think so.

Curious why you feel this way. At the moment exact same record in conference and overall. Ducks do have the blowout win in Eugene, there was no game in Tucson. If Arizona wins tonight they split the season series. Arizona went 2-1 against UCLA, Oregon split w/ UCLA. Neither has any OOC wins that really pop out. Just don't see the clear delineation between the two that you do.

mtnZag
03-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Bob Knight is vile bitter man...nobody worse that him!

Walton is a dead head with a real silly streak...I never take what he says serious and if I can avoid it I mute him out!

mtnZag
03-11-2017, 10:04 AM
There is a difference between dumb and stupid.

Walton isn't dumb!

maynard g krebs
03-11-2017, 10:40 AM
No research

Actually, he gives more personal background on players than anyone else. Obviously takes more of a personal interest in the lives/backgrounds of players than any other broadcaster I can think of. Loves the game and the players.

If people want to hate Walton, that's their right. But the above two words are demonstrably incorrect.

demian
03-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Absolutely the stupidest broadcast to listen to when Walton is part of it. The stupid back and forth comments between him and whoever the poor soul is who has to work with him is just unbearable to listen to

bartruff1
03-11-2017, 11:18 AM
The only thing I have ever heard Walton say about Gonzaga was that they only played the " little sisters of the poor ".

Markburn1
03-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Big 12 bracket came up. Dave asked Walton what he thought was missing. Walton blew him off ...."what are we looking at, a bunch of truck stops?" Total disrespect for those people and towns. Guess he thought it funny. Maybe some on this board thought it was funny. I thought it rude and disrespectful.

Bogozags
03-11-2017, 02:30 PM
I don't see GU on the one line...just too much against them...if UO wins I believe they will be on that line instead of us...if AZ wins, we MIGHT get there since we beat them...I think there is even a possibility that we might get bumped out of the west...it is impossible to understand the parameters used by the committee...

I believe we belong on the one line, especially with KU losing early and UNC losing in the quarterfinals...just have to wait and see...fingers are crossed!

BBzag
03-11-2017, 02:43 PM
He did one Gonzaga game, along with Heister. It was...bizarre. But he was overflowing w/ praise for Few and GU.

edited--maybe I'm getting confused, maybe it wasn't a GU game, but I know he worked w/ Heister once this season and he was very complimentary of the Zags program

They did UCLA/Oregon State in December: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58492-Is-this-real-life

Zag4Hire
03-11-2017, 03:32 PM
The worst part is inane comments & attitude seemingly represent the Left Coast to the stuffier East Coast. If you really think about it, he is of the same ilk as Dickie V. Same type draw, same type head-scratching comments.

If I had to pick a play by play and color, give me Kevin Harlan and Fran Fraschilla.

CDC84
03-11-2017, 06:56 PM
When working a Big 12 game a couple of weeks ago, the lead announcer brought up the subject of TCU, and their amount of wins vs. Big 12 teams or something like that. Walton says: "TCU is in the Big 12??" Announcer's reply: "You need to get out more Bill."

Mr. Walton is about the last guy on earth that I would rely on for bracketology projections.

Gonzdb8
03-11-2017, 07:37 PM
he is making this pac 12 champ game almost unwatchable. his homerism has absolutely zero filter. i'm embarrassed for him.

MDABE80
03-11-2017, 07:38 PM
AZ and Oregon." both these temd sre better than Gonzaga....this is the conference of champions" When reminded we beat AZ, Walton says " that was a meaningless game".
What a dick this guy is. We are the little guys not worthy of mention. Hope the guys are watching this......:drool:

strikenowhere
03-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Seriously - Bill Walton needs to STFU ...I can't stand his damn "Conference of Champions" mantra. Last I checked Zags beat Arizona on a neutral floor and has twice the RPI top 25 wins and a quarter of total losses of both Arizona & Oregon. Screw him.

MDABE80
03-11-2017, 07:43 PM
And beat the Big 12 Champs. WIththis professed level of bias, I wonder if he should be calling games. Next year, things may be different for him. I hope so. Adds nothing in my view. GO AZ!!

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-11-2017, 07:44 PM
He's a character... no way does Cal and USC deserve to be in... hes playing the villain and trolling.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-11-2017, 07:45 PM
Not that anyone cares but Bill Walton has lost my respect for life

seacatfan
03-11-2017, 07:48 PM
How is anybody surprised by anything Walton says? He's just doubling down on what he's already said before.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Not as bad as Steve lappas or Steve lavin

beaverzag
03-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Come on, Walton, really? Truck stop conference? Wcc has schools in E. Wash, oregon, bay area, socal, utah. Sounds a lot like the conference of champions. And I'm a PAC 12 fan. Zero credibility, just a clown.

HenneZag
03-11-2017, 07:50 PM
The guy is a D bag. Has no class, insults the ZAGS, insults the conference. His overuse of "Conference of Champions " is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

Just win ZAGS

gonstu
Curious why you feel this way. At the moment exact same record in conference and overall. Ducks do have the blowout win in Eugene, there was no game in Tucson. If Arizona wins tonight they split the season series. Arizona went 2-1 against UCLA, Oregon split w/ UCLA. Neither has any OOC wins that really pop out. Just don't see the clear delineation between the two that you do.

was thinking of zags having the head to head over zona

bartruff1
Call ESPN 1 888 549 3776 ...you will have to wait a few minutes but you will talk to a real person who will record your comments on a computer and forward them to the producer of the broadcast...

SunDevilGolfZag
03-11-2017, 07:54 PM
He just said Gonzaga doesn't have any players (of "Conference of Champions" high level). NWG the All American might come to mind. Or Shem the finalist for the Karem Jabbar award. Walton is totally disrespectful and ignorant

Mantua
03-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Call ESPN 1 888 549 3776 ...you will have to wait a few minutes but you will talk to a real person who will record your comments on a computer and forward them to the producer of the broadcast...

Thanks!

Bill Walton is an embarrassment to ESPN.

He crossed the line from being colorful to just being disgusting.

seacatfan
03-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Hey you guys should be happy. He took a break from pimping the Pac 12...so he could kiss Coach K's a** for a minute or two.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-11-2017, 07:59 PM
You people need to have a drink, take a breath and stop taking everything so seriously.

The guy is playing up his schtick.. and he's allowed to have an opinion.. even if it stinks.

Don't start flipping out whenever anyone says anything negative about Gonzaga. Enjoy life a little more.

DixieZag
03-11-2017, 08:05 PM
You people need to have a drink, take a breath and stop taking everything so seriously.

The guy is playing up his schtick.. and he's allowed to have an opinion.. even if it stinks.

Don't start flipping out whenever anyone says anything negative about Gonzaga. Enjoy life a little more.

I don't see anyone flipping out. Just calling out things that are plainly disrespectful and continue to feed the never to be damned enough meme that we're not at the level of the top teams.

When someone like NWG - All American on some respected lists - is tossed into a group that doesn't have the horses to play at the "Conference of Champions level" that's pretty offensive and needs calling out. Ironic that it's NWG as most obvious player at that level, given he ditched the "Conference of Champions" to play in a "better" program.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-11-2017, 08:08 PM
I don't see anyone flipping out. Just calling out things that are plainly disrespectful and continue to feed the never to be damned enough meme that we're not at the level of the top teams.

When someone like NWG - All American on some respected lists - is tossed into a group that doesn't have the horses to play at the "Conference of Champions level" that's pretty offensive and needs calling out. Ironic that it's NWG as most obvious player at that level, given he ditched the "Conference of Champions" to play in a "better" program.

Very well stated

seacatfan
03-11-2017, 08:09 PM
NWG and Mathews are both obviously Pac 12 caliber players, since both played for Pac 12 schools and averaged double figure scoring in multiple seasons. Walton is an idiot. Don't worry about it.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-11-2017, 08:10 PM

We have people calling in to complain? I'd call that flipping out.

Walton is a bozo, but the way some people here are reacting is pure comedy gold.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2017, 08:24 PM

Exactly.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2017, 08:25 PM
He just said Gonzaga doesn't have any players (of "Conference of Champions" high level). NWG the All American might come to mind. Or Shem the finalist for the Karem Jabbar award. Walton is totally disrespectful and ignorant

Not only that but we beat arizona and whooped the crap out of Washington.

gonzagafan62
03-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Not only that but we beat arizona and whooped the crap out of Washington.

And don't give me the fact that Arizona was without two players

I know they didn't have 1993 Michael Jordan and 1987 Larry Bird, but who cares. We won the game, and they were a top 15 team anyway. Probably a Top 25 team without Jordan and Bird

dhozagfan08
03-11-2017, 08:33 PM
He is the worst color guy of any sport, at any level, in the entire country. He can go ten minute stretches without even mentioning anything to do with basketball. I hate listening to him, and that's without him bashing gonzaga. Unless it's a huge game like this, I would rather watch the news than listen to his rambling. It's crazy to me that he gets paid to do this, when the goal of ESPN is to draw more viewers, not push them away.

DixieZag
03-11-2017, 08:33 PM
We have people calling in to complain? I'd call that flipping out.

Walton is a bozo, but the way some people here are reacting is pure comedy gold.

Calling in to what?

Go ahead and laugh, I guess.

As for here and now, I just hear regular discussion while watching a game.

CDC84
03-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Bill announced a Big 12 game two weeks ago and he didn't know that TCU was in the Big 12.

That's the kind of guy we're dealing with. A guy who couldn't name 3 guys in Gonzaga's top 8.

The guy is a circus act.

I don't have any real issues with him. It's the guys who should know better that truly tick me off.

bartruff1
03-11-2017, 08:46 PM
I didn't call to complain about what he said about Gonzaga, he is welcome to his opinion and that is what he gets paid for...

I complained about the whole food fight tenor of the broadcasts and the non basketball related bs...I watch the games to see the teams play not to put up with his nonsense...

zagirl2k
03-11-2017, 08:49 PM
It is one thing to have him on a random Cal/UCLA game in January. Pac 12 Tournament final deserves someone who is actually paying attention to what is going on on the court. We are watching the game on mute.

MBZags
03-11-2017, 09:34 PM
I feel sorry for Dave Pasch, who was becoming so obviously annoyed.

zagsfanforlife
03-11-2017, 09:34 PM
He is just a 7 foot clown. Ignore.

CDC84
03-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Some guy on twitter said.....I bet Walton doesn't even realize that his alma mater offered Josh Perkins a scholarship and he chose Gonzaga instead.

Shem offered by Cal.

Melson offered by both Oregon schools I think. Washington as well.

Tillie offered by Utah

Collins offered by multiple Pac-12's

RenoZag
03-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Walton is the new Billy Packer. Knows the subject matter and delights in ticking people off.

maynard g krebs
03-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Some guy on twitter said.....I bet Walton doesn't even realize that his alma mater offered Josh Perkins a scholarship and he chose Gonzaga instead.

Shem offered by Cal.

Melson offered by both Oregon schools I think. Washington as well.

Tillie offered by Utah

Collins offered by multiple Pac-12's

Pretty sure Bill knows all this, as well as the fact that TCU is in the Big 12-2. Pretty sure he's just trolling as well with most of this stuff, incl his Zags comment. I think he's just goofing, and knows exactly how good the Zags are..

And everybody here is taking his bait. Agree w/ Kong; pretty comical.

Three time academic AA. Honors grad in history at UCLA. Don't Zag fans go all gaga over their academic AA's?

Bill also said on a recent broadcast that if he was in school today, he'd stay 4 years. I believe him on that one.

U Zig, I Zag
03-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Pasch should get some sort of award.

Walton is a moron and though he gets us riled up, the real conf that gets hurt is the Pac12. You just can't take what he says seriously and all he does is parade his conf of champions crap. It's clearly and act, but very poor one.

webspinnre
03-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Pretty sure Bill knows all this, as well as the fact that TCU is in the Big 12-2. Pretty sure he's just trolling as well with most of this stuff, incl his Zags comment. I think he's just goofing, and knows exactly how good the Zags are..

Three time academic AA. Honors grad in history at UCLA. Don't Zag fans go all gaga over their academic AA's?

That was all quite awhile ago. There have been some things that have likely changed in him since then.

CDC84
03-11-2017, 11:18 PM

Bill also said on a recent broadcast that if he was in school today, he'd stay 4 years. I believe him on that one.

That was before all the Grateful Dead shows he attended :)

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-12-2017, 08:14 AM
OMG! Paul Finebaum thinks that the SEC should get 3 Number 1 seeds! What a jerkface!

Zag_Dad
03-12-2017, 08:39 AM
I feel sorry for Dave Pasch, who was becoming so obviously annoyed.

Dave Pasch tweeted the following:

Each game I do with Bill Walton ages me in dog years. After this week's PAC 12 tournament, I'll be 376.

sittingon50
03-12-2017, 10:15 AM
OMG! Paul Finebaum thinks that the SEC should get 3 Number 1 seeds! What a jerkface!

I'm assuming Kentucky, Florida & Arkansas? Wouldn't Vandy be the 4th, as they beat Florida 3 x's?

RenoZag
03-12-2017, 10:23 AM
I think Finebaum had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek. . .

seacatfan
03-12-2017, 11:16 AM
Dave Pasch tweeted the following:

Each game I do with Bill Walton ages me in dog years. After this week's PAC 12 tournament, I'll be 376.

I do feel sorry for Pasch. I wonder if he will demand to not get stuck w/ Walton anymore after this season. Seems like it's gotten worse, Walton verbally spars and tries to pick fights with him almost every game.

Zag_Dad
03-12-2017, 12:57 PM
I do feel sorry for Pasch. I wonder if he will demand to not get stuck w/ Walton anymore after this season. Seems like it's gotten worse, Walton verbally spars and tries to pick fights with him almost every game.

As difficult as it is for me to listen to Walton's "schtick" it must be pure torture for Pasch to try to be professional and do his job with Walton constantly high jacking every conversation with his absolute nonsensical blather.

BBzag
03-12-2017, 02:20 PM
As difficult as it is for me to listen to Walton's "schtick" it must be pure torture for Pasch to try to be professional and do his job with Walton constantly high jacking every conversation with his absolute nonsensical blather.

They've been doing it for four years now. It's a well-honed act.