PDA

View Full Version : Kansas loss = GU solidifying 1 seed?

cggonzaga
03-09-2017, 01:38 PM
What do you think? I had previously thought an Oregon championship in conference tournament possibly knocked us off the 1 line. I think with Kansas losing in the quarters, they are now the team to sweat out selection sunday.

sittingon50
03-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Doubt it.

77Zag
03-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Not sure they are going to sweat out anything...perhaps a "lower" one seed? Regardless, i wouldn't sweat a two seed either...

Many more big games in the next few days.

Go Zags - Beat the Field!!

ZagOD7540
03-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Heck No! Big Bad Kansas-The talking heads will figure out something where the Kansas loss will hurt the Zags chances!
They are untouchable

VaBeachZAG
03-09-2017, 01:46 PM
What do you think? I had previously thought an Oregon championship in conference tournament possibly knocked us off the 1 line. I think with Kansas losing in the quarters, they are now the team to sweat out selection sunday. Sadly no, I don't think there will be meaningful change as far as the Zags go. I doubt anything in these conference championships will move GU up the seed line. My only fear is that Oregon or Arizona as the PAC 12 champ jumps the Zags on the 1 line, which would send the Zags to another region.

titopoet
03-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Sadly no, I don't think there will be meaningful change as far as the Zags go. I doubt anything in these conference championships will move GU up the seed line. My only fear is that Oregon or Arizona as the PAC 12 champ jumps the Zags on the 1 line, which would send the Zags to another region.

I think the Louisville loss help GU more than KU's. KU was a lock for 1 and still are (don't ask), but if Louisville or FSU could possible jump GU if they won the ACC tourney (though they shouldn't but with the eastcoast biases... you never know).

MDABE80
03-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Doesn't matter. But it will move us up!#Zags ascending

Zaga
03-09-2017, 02:00 PM
TCU and unranked opponent takes down a #1 seed.. in the quarters no less..... Go Zag's

tobizag
03-09-2017, 02:07 PM
this did nothing for gonzaga. lunardi had kansas as the overall 1, now he has them as the third 1 behind villanova and carolina. we are still the final 1 seed. kansas is untouchable.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
03-09-2017, 02:14 PM
I was happy to see Duke get a big win over Louisville so we can hopefully avoid them as the 4 seed in our bracket. I'd like to think they're on the 3 line even if they lose to UNC tomorrow.

If Duke beats UNC tomorrow, I'd think they could even get up to a 2, and would further solidify Gonzaga as a 1 seed.

I feel like Gonzaga is pretty locked in as a 1 seed out west with the winner of the Pac-12 Tournament locked in as the 2 seed in the same region.

RenoZag
03-09-2017, 02:15 PM
this did nothing for gonzaga. lunardi had kansas as the overall 1, now he has them as the third 1 behind villanova and carolina. we are still the final 1 seed. kansas is untouchable.

Indeed. Lunardi's post at ESPN:

Kansas remains a top seed, but No. 3 overall following its loss. Villanova and Carolina now 1/2 overall. Louisville remains a No. 2 seed, but on the verge of being passed by Arizona/UCLA. And TCU stays alive among "Next Four Out."

ZagMan in Philly
03-09-2017, 02:20 PM
TCU and unranked opponent takes down a #1 seed.. in the quarters no less..... Go Zag's

The so call expert will say the win by TCU is tainted as Kansas did not have Josh Jackson.
They will not move Kansas from 1 seed, may ship them out west though.

Marcus
03-09-2017, 02:22 PM
This loss will be easily explained by the one game suspension of Josh Jackson. The powers will justify it as just a one off because he didn't play and its only one game without him so therefore it didn't really happen. Even though in reality this is a really bad loss.

Marcus
03-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Philly, you beat me to it.
:cheers:

ZagMan in Philly
03-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Philly, you beat me to it.
:cheers:

I am with you. I listened to the Kansas game radio...and they felt they are still #1 seed after the game. Pretty cocky...but will see.
I have no doubt the committee will give Zags #2 seed.

raise the zag
03-09-2017, 03:08 PM
I have no doubt the committee will give Zags #2 seed.

I am with ya. I fully expect a 2 seed, although deserving of a 1 seed. Our resume is 1 seed.

and given the trend of this year's committee, and the bias it has shown/shared, and favor to P5 conferences/teams, I wouldn't be surprised if they find a way to bump GU to 3 seed.

CDC84
03-09-2017, 03:10 PM
I talked to a reputable analyst. Kansas is as much of a lock for #1 as anyone in this tournament even with TCU loss. The resume is too good. Also said that in major conference tourneys, if you're a high seed and don't win the tourney, it's best to bail out early. Teams that do so usually play well in March. Committee also gets an image that you just don't value the league tourney as being the reason you lost. So you get more credit for winning regular season. It's just how these guys think.

I feel Kansas has better chance of getting a one than Gonzaga. Doesn't mean I agree it's right. And for GU, it's way more important they stay out west than get a one seed.

zagdontzig
03-09-2017, 03:41 PM
A lot of ball to be played. All comes down to what happens in the PAC12, and with UNC.

DixieZag
03-09-2017, 03:52 PM
If they make Kansas a 2 seed, they'll figure out a way to make us the 4th number one seed and we'll have them in our region as the brick wall between us and the final four.

That's how the committee rolls.

Markburn1
03-09-2017, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=CDC84;1297099]I talked to a reputable analyst. Kansas is as much of a lock for #1 as anyone in this tournament even with TCU loss. The resume is too good. Also said that in major conference tourneys, if you're a high seed and don't win the tourney, it's best to bail out early. Teams that do so usually play well in March

No team that has lost their first game in a conference tourney has ever won the National Championship.

Hoopaholic
03-09-2017, 03:58 PM
If they make Kansas a 2 seed, they'll figure out a way to make us the 4th number one seed and we'll have them in our region as the brick wall between us and the final four.

That's how the committee rolls.

That would make my day. Actually believe we have advantage over KU

DixieZag
03-09-2017, 04:02 PM
That would make my day. Actually believe we have advantage over KU

Ok, so long as we're up by 15 with 2 minutes to go. That team has had so many games come down to the last minute and won so many. We haven't had tIhat learning experience.

Not sure why you want to go against those guards but you must have your reasons.

seacatfan
03-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Well, if people don't think Kansas deserves a 1 seed, that's means they'll be a 2. If GU is a 1 somebody has to be the 2 in their region. I don't think any of the prospective 2 seeds are weak teams. What exactly are people looking for? A 1 seed isn't close to a guarantee of getting to the Final 4. You're gonna have to beat some good teams to get there.

Hoopaholic
03-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Ok, so long as we're up by 15 with 2 minutes to go. That team has had so many games come down to the last minute and won so many. We haven't had tIhat learning experience.

Not sure why you want to go against those guards but you must have your reasons.

Yep. 5 solid reasons
Goss
Perkins
Mathews
Melson
Tille

MDABE80
03-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Kansas loses to an 18-14 team. Does this sound familiar??? But I guess they keep the no 1 ranking and no 1 seed? What's the deal????

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Not sure I have an answer to the original question. But clearly conf tourney teams have 'won their way' into the dance even if they don't win the conf tourneys. Certainly a team can 'lose their way out", right? Not out of the tourney all together (obviously, Kansas) but maybe hurt themselves a bit? Maybe only matters with the mid-majors.

gonzagafan62
03-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Kansas was a #1 regardless. Everyone seems to have this consensus.... not even close either.

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Zags will NOT be in the top line. 1 loss or not. It isn't going to happen. RPI will be held against them while Kansas skates with a loss to a middling TCU team.

Hoopaholic
03-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Zags will NOT be in the top line. 1 loss or not. It isn't going to happen. RPI will be held against them while Kansas skates with a loss to a middling TCU team.

And every metric available we are better

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 04:44 PM

I really do hope this is me being overly cynical... but history tells me that they'll rarely do the right thing for a non-power conference team.

CDC84
03-09-2017, 04:47 PM
No team that has lost their first game in a conference tourney has ever won the National Championship

He said early. Not necessarily first round. Probably not many 1st round losses for ones over the years in BCS leagues. Plus this was an incredibly special circumstance. The team was missing its best player and a future NBA all star (provided he treats cars better). No way they lose with Jackson. Even if he was suspended, I would be shocked if Kansas isn't one of the top 2 number ones.

As Seacat says, I think too many people are making too big of a deal of the number one seed thing. There isn't going to be too much of a difference between the twos and ones. The key for GU is staying in San Jose. They don't want to be playing Carolina in Memphis or something.

KU worries me because GU doesn't have the athletic, 6-7, long Erroll Knight type defender to deal with Jackson. I love NWG, but can he stay in front of Mason? If NWG has foul trouble, would GU fall apart? On the other hand, Kansas is so limited in the frontcourt right now. Lucas couldn't handle Karno. I just don't know if they could handle all of GU's frontcourt depth. Probably one of my favorite potential final 4 matchups but still a tough game.

Oregon is a lot tougher matchup than some think. How is Karno going to guard Boucher? You could put JWIII on him, but then who does Karno guard. So many of these games are so tough to analyze because one team's weakness is another team's strength and vice versa. It just depends who can exploit there matchup the most.

Markburn1
03-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Holy Moly!!! You guys are killing me. Ever since the loss to BYU you guys have been off the reservation with your doubts and your conspiracy theories. The Zags took care of business. One loss. Not what the committee will view as a bad loss and you guys are cocksure that the Zags will be dropped from the one line. You guys were sure that the Gaels would roll the Zags. You've trashed some of the Zag players, one in particular. What is wrong with you? The Zags are one of the four best teams in the country and are recognized as such by everybody that counts. Get a grip. The committee has rules to go by that prevent all of what you guys are spewing. Geography, limiting teams from same conference to regions, limiting games against current year opponents to later rounds, even limiting repeat matchups from last year's tourney. The committee doesn't have nearly any discretion to place teams in certain pods after seeding the top two lines. Get a grip. Come back to reality.

Hoopaholic
03-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Holy Moly!!! You guys are killing me. Ever since the loss to BYU you guys have been off the reservation with your doubts and your conspiracy theories. The Zags took care of business. One loss. Not what the committee will view as a bad loss and you guys are cocksure that the Zags will be dropped from the one line. You guys were sure that the Gaels would roll the Zags. You've trashed some of the Zag players, one in particular. What is wrong with you? The Zags are one of the four best teams in the country and are recognized as such by everybody that counts. Get a grip. The committee has rules to go by that prevent all of what you guys are spewing. Geography, limiting teams from same conference to regions, limiting games against current year opponents to later rounds, even limiting repeat matchups from last year's tourney. The committee doesn't have nearly any discretion to place teams in certain pods after seeding the top two lines. Get a grip. Come back to reality.

I will drink to that

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 04:58 PM

Has nothing to do with BYU loss. Has nothing to do with how I feel about the Zags or where I feel they should be seeded. Past history says mid-majors, and like it or not Zags are still seen as that, get held to a far higher standard than power 5 conferences. For me, this is about cynicism.

My personal opinion on the Zags... they are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country. Give them the right match-ups and they can go all the way to a NC. They deserve and should get a #1 seed. BTW I predicted a tight loss to the Gaels only because it is tough, real tough, to beat a top 25 team three times in one season... simple as that.

drvenkman05
03-09-2017, 05:15 PM
No, no, no, KU has the history, the tradition, the "Pay Heed All Who Enter...BEWARE THE PHOG," so they MUST be a 1 seed (I say this as gradute alumnus of KU, sarcasm strongly intended)!

I really do hope this is me being overly cynical... but history tells me that they'll rarely do the right thing for a non-power conference team.

WallaWallaZag
03-09-2017, 05:15 PM
My personal opinion on the Zags... they are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country. Give them the right match-ups and they can go all the way to a NC. They deserve and should get a #1 seed.

...if you really believe zags are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country, you don't need the "right" match-ups...there should only be one or two "wrong" match-ups.

Zaga
03-09-2017, 05:30 PM
The so call expert will say the win by TCU is tainted as Kansas did not have Josh Jackson.
They will not move Kansas from 1 seed, may ship them out west though.

May be true. But gladly all the banter will be over soon. IMO a 1 or 2 seed out west doesn't really matter because to win it all... you have to beat all comers or go home!

#runthetable

GrizZAG
03-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Lunardi was adamant that Zags will be a 1 seed on TV today. Says they are going FF if not further. That's a hell of an endorsement.

scott257
03-09-2017, 05:46 PM
So the thing I really don't get is that I was seeing tweets saying TCU was now in the discussion for one of the last four in. TCU has a horrible record and won only half of their conference games. If beating Kansas puts them in the discussion, shouldn't BYU also be considered? BYU has a better record and they beat us when we were higher ranked than Kansas. The willingness to sink so low into what has been a mediocre year for the Big-12 seems nuts to me.

Hoopaholic
03-09-2017, 05:54 PM
So the thing I really don't get is that I was seeing tweets saying TCU was now in the discussion for one of the last four in. TCU has a horrible record and won only half of their conference games. If beating Kansas puts them in the discussion, shouldn't BYU also be considered? BYU has a better record and they beat us when we were higher ranked than Kansas. The willingness to sink so low into what has been a mediocre year for the Big-12 seems nuts to me.
With you. Just don't understand

seacatfan
03-09-2017, 06:00 PM
With you. Just don't understand

Just saw them as next 4 out. Not last 4 out, but the next 4 after that. Means they would need a TON of help to get in. Don' get to worried about TCU going Dancing just yet.

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2017, 06:08 PM
I would say that a BYU loss against smc by - you know, not 30+ - might have made them a dark horse. Getting to the WCC champ might have made them a popular last 4 in. Not so sure now. But if Cuse is still in the mix...

gueastcoast
03-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Lunardi was adamant that Zags will be a 1 seed on TV today. Says they are going FF if not further. That's a hell of an endorsement.

Had the same thought. Lunardi, while a windbag, has a pretty good record, esp. when he has real conviction. Doesn't hurt (but may not help) that KU lost today, and UNC could lose in the ACC tourney. Benefit of us ending our regular season earlier is the other top teams can only have bad losses at this point, not good wins -- they are expected to win out.

Goshzagit
03-09-2017, 06:25 PM

Believe it when I see it. No faith in this Committee.

Although, I still love Selection Sunday...no matter our announced seed.

In some ways, watching our name be selected, seeded, & put in the bracket is one of my favorite moments of March Madness.

Then all the scouting, message boards, analysis, predictions, picks, & hoopla of talking about playing on the Tourney.

One of the best days of the year.

I get nervous every time, & somewhat emotional.

This year will be no different.

DixieZag
03-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Believe it when I see it. No faith in this Committee.

Although, I still love Selection Sunday...no matter our announced seed.

In some ways, watching our name be selected, seeded, & put in the bracket is one of my favorite moments of March Madness.

Then all the scouting, message boards, analysis, predictions, picks, & hoopla of talking about playing on the Tourney.

One of the best days of the year.

I get nervous every time, & somewhat emotional.

This year will be no different.

I like this post.

And, to the people that say; "One or two doesn't matter" or "We have to beat good teams anyway" - all that is perfectly true. But, one can hope to not have the hardest road to the FF. Every year there is a region the pundits believe is the "most stacked" and one "the easiest."

The higher line we get among the ones and twos, the more likely (not surely) we have a bit easier path. That's all.

Zags11
03-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Idk if people are just negative about their team but their has been two legit chances at #1 seeds. And we got got it in 2013 and will again this year. Which in jest means we will be 2 for 2 in chances for 1 seed. I don't get it.

Zags11
03-09-2017, 06:43 PM

I disagree with you Liz. We were #1 seed in 2013. And this is our second real legit shot at a #1 seed. If we get #1 seed again, we will be 2 for 2. If we aren't a 1 seed I'll agree.

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 07:15 PM
I disagree with you Liz. We were #1 seed in 2013. And this is our second real legit shot at a #1 seed. If we get #1 seed again, we will be 2 for 2. If we aren't a 1 seed I'll agree.

Different time and different field. Zags SHOULD have a 1 seed... but I'd bet they'll give it to a power conference team with triple the losses the Zags have.

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 07:19 PM
...if you really believe zags are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country, you don't need the "right" match-ups...there should only be one or two "wrong" match-ups.

Because even with that faith... a lesser team may match up well with the Zags in a way that on a good night it might become a toss-up. A team the Zags might beat 9 out of 10 times... may get that one. The match-up point isn't that the Zags are GOING to lose that game... it is that it is that there is a higher chance they may catch lightning in a bottle

jpn17
03-09-2017, 07:26 PM
Kansas loses to an 18-14 team. Does this sound familiar??? But I guess they keep the no 1 ranking and no 1 seed? What's the deal????

Because it's Kansas. You'd better believe that Gonzaga would be getting trashed right now if they had lost to TCU.

Except RPI, which the committee shows over and over again that they value more than anything else, no matter how antiquated and outdated it is.

Zags11
03-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Different time and different field. Zags SHOULD have a 1 seed... but I'd bet they'll give it to a power conference team with triple the losses the Zags have.

Donut bet? ;). If they do screw zags I'll be hella pissed. I don't think they will. Just like I thought zags would beat smc. I'll put faith zags a #1.

Zags11
03-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Because it's Kansas. You'd better believe that Gonzaga would be getting trashed right now if they had lost to TCU.

Except RPI, which the committee shows over and over again that they value more than anything else, no matter how antiquated and outdated it is.

This I agree.

MDABE80
03-09-2017, 08:37 PM
We sure as hell got trashed after BYU. Loss I of the same same magnitude.

willandi
03-09-2017, 08:44 PM
...and yet, the Zags lost once, to RPI 67 BYU. Kansas lost 3 (?) times, the last to 76 TCU, and to Iowa State that the Zags beat.

The problem with RPI is that it rewards those schools in a good conference, but isn't adjusted for much else. If you are in the ACC, your RPI is up because it's the ACC.

Zags lost once and dropped to the fourth #1, and conceivably could move to a two seed.
Kansas lost 3 times, once at home to a team the Zags beat and once in the tourney to a lower RPI and it doesn't affect them...much.

The worst thing the committee does, in MY eyes, isn't shipping teams off to bad regionals, it is not treating all teams equally. Using RPI and not more modern, more inclusive means to grade, and extending that bias of blueblood/mid-major, just because they can.

MDABE80
03-09-2017, 09:19 PM
8 points from perfect. And we pay a penalty? Bias is all over the place. Go Zags......Be no 1.

DixieZag
03-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Is the NCAA tournament played at neutral sites or on the road?

I sure hope so. 'Cause, nobody beat us when we played somewhere else. Can any other team say that? Any of the ones?

It'd be funny if they make us a 2. Not ha ha funny, but - you know.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2017, 03:05 AM
8 points from perfect. And we pay a penalty? Bias is all over the place. Go Zags......Be no 1.

That was a really bad loss doc. A Portland State loss. If Mary's had beaten us by 6 in Moraga, no prob. Just an embarrassing loss to BYU.

Birddog
03-10-2017, 03:50 AM
Zags lost once and dropped to the fourth #1, and conceivably could move to a two seed.

IIRC, they were the 4th #1 seed in the preliminary bracket released in mid Feb before the BYU loss. The loss might lead to a 2 seed for the Zags however.

RenoZag
03-10-2017, 04:59 AM
The Bracket Matrix compiles bracket projections from multiple sources:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

The compilation shows GU on the one line, as of yesterday evening, with KU, Nova, and UNC. Oregon looms as the top #2. I expect them to leapfrog GU if they win the PAC 12 tournament.

gonzagafan62
03-10-2017, 05:06 AM
That was a really bad loss doc. A Portland State loss. If Mary's had beaten us by 6 in Moraga, no prob. Just an embarrassing loss to BYU.

I know that's your exaggeration but that's no where near a Portland State loss. (And actually Portland State did make tourney that year lmao)

willandi
03-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Again. I am no expert but...Kansas lost, on their home court, to a team the Zags beat on a neutral court. Zags lost at home to RPI 67 BYU, on their home court, Kansas lost to TCU RPI 76 on a neutral court. Kansas has one additional loss.

Kansas stays as a number 1 and the Zags may drop down. If this is not a clear case of bias, towards the bluebloods, then what is it.

Zags are higher in every meaningful metric (I discount RPI because it is a self fulfilling conference metric).

Can anybody give me a rational explanation? I don't consider "They are Kansas" or "They are a P5 school" as an explanation. Those are excuses.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-10-2017, 06:39 AM
This loss will be easily explained by the one game suspension of Josh Jackson. The powers will justify it as just a one off because he didn't play and its only one game without him so therefore it didn't really happen. Even though in reality this is a really bad loss.

Come on. Our loss to BYU was much worse, so I don't understand the sarcastic undertone in this thread suggesting that KU should be hammered off of the 1 line for this.

They lost on a neutral court to a bubble team. We lost at home to a pretty awful team.

willandi
03-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Come on. Our loss to BYU was much worse, so I don't understand the sarcastic undertone in this thread suggesting that KU should be hammered off of the 1 line for this.

They lost on a neutral court to a bubble team. We lost at home to a pretty awful team.

They lost on a neutral court to a team with an RPI of 76. We lost on our home court to a team with an RPI of 67, bubble team or not. One was a worse RPI team. Kansas DID lose on their home court to Iowa State, a team Zags beat on a neutral court.

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2017, 07:08 AM

Actually it isn't even close to the Portland State loss. Losing to a top 100 RPI isn't the same as losing to a sub-200 RPI team. It isn't even close Jazz and you know it.

Birddog
03-10-2017, 07:10 AM
Judging by many of the posts on this thread some of you need to get yourself some of this .https://www.google.com/#q=umbrage&* It might be in short supply come Sunday.

bartruff1
03-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Kansas has won 3 National Championships, 6 runner ups, has 14 FF and 22 EE.....Self is 212-10 with some very impressive streaks... they will get the benefit of the doubt ....you can deal with it or let it annoy you, but it isn't likely to change..

webspinnre
03-10-2017, 07:32 AM
The team we should be rooting for to lose is Oregon, as they're the threat to take the final #1 seed. If they go down, that should lock it up for us.

willandi
03-10-2017, 07:46 AM
Kansas has won 3 National Championships, 6 runner ups, has 14 FF and 22 EE.....Self is 212-10 with some very impressive streaks... they will get the benefit of the doubt ....you can deal with it or let it annoy you, but it isn't likely to change..

They did that THIS YEAR??? Isn't each year supposed to be a separate deal, not carried over?

So Why isn't USF in there? They won at least 1 NC!

Hooray4Daye&Gray
03-10-2017, 07:47 AM
You guys are super weird. Nearly everyone is saying Zags will be a 1 seed. Yet all you focus on is the one or two people that say maybe they'll be a 2 if Oregon wins the Pac-12.

And if people stop saying that, you'll just make up random things people could hypothetically say, just so you can knock down the perspective (that no one actually has).

No one is saying Kansas' loss wasn't bad. There was a ton of talk about how it was a bad loss. Most say they went from the top overall seed to the 3rd overall seed. That's a big difference.

Someone on here said they wouldn't be surprised if Gonzaga got a 3 seed. I'm convinced you guys are just saying ridiculous things so you can feel better when they don't happen. How about this. If Gonzaga gets a 3 seed, I'll change my avatar to anything you want. If Gonzaga gets a 1 seed, you reply to this thread saying the non-conspiracy theorists were right.

Literally one of the strangest threads I've ever seen. Wish we could have a normal conversation speculating on who might actually get put in our bracket. You know, the one that might lead to our first Final Four ever in the most important moment in Gonzaga basketball history?

bartruff1
03-10-2017, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=willandi;1297347]They did that THIS YEAR??? Isn't each year supposed to be a separate deal, not carried over?

So Why isn't USF in there? They won at least 1 NC![/QUOTE

That was 60 years ago and USF has done little to maintain that level of excellence .....Pedigree matters and Kansas is among the bluest of the blue...

And yes, Hooray, I could care less if Gonzaga is the #1 #1 or a #3....in the end, it won't matter ...

U Zig, I Zag
03-10-2017, 07:52 AM
I agree with the above. I will say that if Nova, UNC and Oregon all win their tourneys, you are looking at Ore and GU jockeying for that last spot. I can see, given the potential for 'bigger wins' that Oregon will be presented with (I don't have the tourney schedule in front of me, but certainly they will see UCLA and/or AZ again) you'll have an argument for them to get number 1 in the west. Either way. Not sure it matters to the Zags (perhaps it matters to the fans more). I think the Zags want out west. 1 or 2.

No way we are a 3.

RenoZag
03-10-2017, 08:13 AM
The team we should be rooting for to lose is Oregon, as they're the threat to take the final #1 seed. If they go down, that should lock it up for us.

Yup.

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Go Cal!

TexasZagFan
03-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Judging by many of the posts on this thread some of you need to get yourself some of this .https://www.google.com/#q=umbrage&* It might be in short supply come Sunday.

No worries BD, I have plenty of umbrage in reserve...enough to fill JerryWorld. :lmao:

VaBeachZAG
03-10-2017, 09:01 AM
I agree with the above. I will say that if Nova, UNC and Oregon all win their tourneys, you are looking at Ore and GU jockeying for that last spot. I can see, given the potential for 'bigger wins' that Oregon will be presented with (I don't have the tourney schedule in front of me, but certainly they will see UCLA and/or AZ again) you'll have an argument for them to get number 1 in the west. Either way. Not sure it matters to the Zags (perhaps it matters to the fans more). I think the Zags want out west. 1 or 2.

No way we are a 3. Just last night during a game brake a sports talking head asked Joe Lunardi what would happen if Oregon wins the PAC 12 (implication being Oregon would bounce GU from the one line). Joe's response was he felt the one line is set and nothing between now and Sunday is going to change it. Time will tell.

TexasZag
03-10-2017, 09:18 AM
I would say that a BYU loss against smc by - you know, not 30+ - might have made them a dark horse. Getting to the WCC champ might have made them a popular last 4 in. Not so sure now. But if Cuse is still in the mix...

Again, Cuse and TCU do not play in the WCC. I believe that in the minds of the pundits, this separates them from BYU and thus they can include them in the conversation.

MDABE80
03-10-2017, 09:25 AM
While I'm thinking the drama boys may say Oregon might leapfrog us, I think it's nonsense. WE Are No 1 seed. I think KU should not be a no 1 in ranking. Nova loses during the Big East, we should ascend to no 1 in polls too. Ahhhhh yes. How sweet that would be. Then we run the table in the tournament. A dream?

Basically the talk of us moving to a 2 seed stopped when we thoroughly mugged SMC on National TV this past week. That was a decisive victory over a very good team. Zags' skills were on display.

Reborn
03-10-2017, 09:45 AM
I remember one thing that the spokesman for the Committee said when they had their mock brackets show a few weeks ago, and that was that there was a pretty large distance between the 4 #1 seeds and the #2's, and that he felt that the #1's would most likely be the same on Selection Sunday as they were that day of the show if the 1's won out. Because of that statement I have felt all along that if Gonzaga won out that they'd be a one seed. And they did. So I'm not changing my opinion that the Zags will be a one seed on Selection Sunday. AND they do deserve it for all the reasons mentioned here on this thread.

Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
03-10-2017, 10:04 AM
You guys are super weird. Nearly everyone is saying Zags will be a 1 seed. Yet all you focus on is the one or two people that say maybe they'll be a 2 if Oregon wins the Pac-12.

And if people stop saying that, you'll just make up random things people could hypothetically say, just so you can knock down the perspective (that no one actually has).

No one is saying Kansas' loss wasn't bad. There was a ton of talk about how it was a bad loss. Most say they went from the top overall seed to the 3rd overall seed. That's a big difference.

Someone on here said they wouldn't be surprised if Gonzaga got a 3 seed. I'm convinced you guys are just saying ridiculous things so you can feel better when they don't happen. How about this. If Gonzaga gets a 3 seed, I'll change my avatar to anything you want. If Gonzaga gets a 1 seed, you reply to this thread saying the non-conspiracy theorists were right.

Literally one of the strangest threads I've ever seen. Wish we could have a normal conversation speculating on who might actually get put in our bracket. You know, the one that might lead to our first Final Four ever in the most important moment in Gonzaga basketball history?

On the Saturday that the Committee released its four one seeds, Gonzaga was the 4th - then undefeated, and the same talking heads that say we're a one seed now, were stating minutes after it came out that they couldn't believe that the Zags were the fourth one seed. So, there's precedent already for the committee to shock us (and the analysts) by putting us lower than expected.

I'm not saying it matters or should/shouldn't be, just saying what's happened already this year that was kind of super-weird itself.

titopoet
03-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Ah, but RPI is fluid and though GU didn't play, they had a great RPI day and move 3 spots up to number 7. ISU, Arizona, Florida and even the Zips continue to win, the RPI of the Zags will continue to get better and better.

Lewey
03-10-2017, 11:52 AM
I remember one thing that the spokesman for the Committee said when they had their mock brackets show a few weeks ago, and that was that there was a pretty large distance between the 4 #1 seeds and the #2's, and that he felt that the #1's would most likely be the same on Selection Sunday as they were that day of the show if the 1's won out. Because of that statement I have felt all along that if Gonzaga won out that they'd be a one seed. And they did. So I'm not changing my opinion that the Zags will be a one seed on Selection Sunday. AND they do deserve it for all the reasons mentioned here on this thread.

Go Zags!!!

They didn't actually win out from that point, the BYU loss was after that. But the large distance comment is reflected in the bracket matrix web site linked earlier. GU has an average of 1.14, almost all 1's, with a very few 2's. Currently next is Kentucky at 1.96, almost all 2's with a very few 1's. Oregon after that at 2.16, mostly 2's with a few 1's and 3's thrown in. Obviously not the committee, but the sum group of bracketologists show that same large distance the committee mentioned previously.