PDA

View Full Version : Vegas spirit

zagbeliever
03-08-2017, 05:30 PM
We once again had such a great time in Vegas at the tournament. There are an incredible number of fans who travel there and the spirit is unbelievable! I wish the fans would display that same spirit in the kennel instead of relying on the KC (who are great). Some of the new players appeared shocked when they came out to essentially a home crowd standing and cheering. At one point during the championship game Nigel blew kisses. It was so cool. Just my thoughts on the lack of same enthusiasm in the kennel and I don't think there is a solution. It is what it is and it could be because a lot of the people who attend can't get tickets for the games can make it to Vegas. Regardless, it is SO much fun to be in that atmosphere. For the team and for the fans. :)

MontanaCoyote
03-08-2017, 07:56 PM
We once again had such a great time in Vegas at the tournament. There are an incredible number of fans who travel there and the spirit is unbelievable! I wish the fans would display that same spirit in the kennel instead of relying on the KC (who are great). Some of the new players appeared shocked when they came out to essentially a home crowd standing and cheering. At one point during the championship game Nigel blew kisses. It was so cool. Just my thoughts on the lack of same enthusiasm in the kennel and I don't think there is a solution. It is what it is and it could be because a lot of the people who attend can't get tickets for the games can make it to Vegas. Regardless, it is SO much fun to be in that atmosphere. For the team and for the fans. :)

And I also watched our bench's reaction when good plays were made. They go nuts with excitement! So great to see.
And Rui just gets crazy. Band of Brothers! Bless 'um all.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Been lucky enough to get to a few games over the years. The fans that go to Vegas are made up the season ticket guys and then every other Zag fan out there. The latter outnumber the former I would guess. I have been in the kennel and been embarrassed by the non-student fans. Just swaths of people sitting on their hands. Perhaps that's how it is everywhere and you just don't notice it, the big time games on espn being when Duke students are there or whatever. But if you got a former All-American player, during a broadcast, commenting on the lame crowd - you might have an issue.

RenoZag
03-08-2017, 08:26 PM
When the Zags were clearly struggling vs. BYU, I was disappointed at the lack of support from the home crowd when the Zags were on defense. The Mac should have been rocking, yelling, screaming. . .didn't happen. An undefeated regular season was on the line and the Spokane fans were stunned into silence instead of getting fired up and giving their all to support the team. On Senior Night, no less.

I think the reason the WCC tourney crowds are so vocal and supportive is those fans get one chance a year (for the most part) to cheer on their team. They aren't jaded and they get fired up by the fans from the opposing team(s). Nothing like seeing BYU and SMC fans to get the enthusiasm rolling. . .

gonstu
03-08-2017, 08:31 PM
I hope to make it one year. It must suck for the fans of the other schools.

ZagsGoZags
03-08-2017, 08:31 PM
was sitting near a zag fan flying back to Northwest today,
we both commented on the great fan spirit shown in Vegas,
and I commented on the polite church type clapping that goes on in the Kennel by the nonKennel
clubbers, as a contrast.

zagbeliever
03-08-2017, 10:31 PM
I hope to make it one year. It must suck for the fans of the other schools.

You really really should. I promise you you will have the time of your lives. Everyone is so friendly and happy. Other fans except BYU friendly too except for when we play them lol. I am still hoarse from all the screaming and more importantly the players really love the support. So cool. Oh and yes it does bother other fans ���� One year a lady snidley said "Don't you people own any other clothes?" Lol. No not in ZAG season.

Zags11
03-08-2017, 10:42 PM
When the Zags were clearly struggling vs. BYU, I was disappointed at the lack of support from the home crowd when the Zags were on defense. The Mac should have been rocking, yelling, screaming. . .didn't happen. An undefeated regular season was on the line and the Spokane fans were stunned into silence instead of getting fired up and giving their all to support the team. On Senior Night, no less.

I think the reason the WCC tourney crowds are so vocal and supportive is those fans get one chance a year (for the most part) to cheer on their team. They aren't jaded and they get fired up by the fans from the opposing team(s). Nothing like seeing BYU and SMC fans to get the enthusiasm rolling. . .

A lot of the non kc crowd is mute at times. Or at BYU game seemed scared.

zagcheer78
03-09-2017, 04:11 AM
We went last year and had a great time.
It was soooo loud that my hearing was cutting in and out. We were helping to raise the decibels of course.
We will be going back again.

Birddog
03-09-2017, 05:23 AM
The TV announcers for the 3 games referred to the Orleans Arena as "Spokane South" several times and mentioned how well the Zag fans travel. On the small screen they were noticeably loud on several occasions.

HenneZag
03-09-2017, 07:29 AM
I go to Vegas just about every year, and the atmosphere is much better IMO. Most of the percentage of fans that go have a build up of excitement because they don't get to see the Zags in the kennel, they get to unleash the energy in Vegas.

On the flip side many not all of season ticket holders in the Kennel get stagnant. I often get stares and am told to sit down if I get too excited at games, pretty unfortunate really.

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 07:32 AM
I go to Vegas just about every year, and the atmosphere is much better IMO. Most of the percentage of fans that go have a build up of excitement because they don't get to see the Zags in the kennel, they get to unleash the energy in Vegas.

On the flip side many not all of season ticket holders in the Kennel get stagnant. I often get stares and am told to sit down if I get too excited at games, pretty unfortunate really.

If I heard that... I'd tell them to get off that backsides or sell their tickets to someone who is willing to cheer on their team.

Zags11
03-09-2017, 08:19 AM

Yea kind of hear grumblings sometimes. It depends on the section I've noticed.

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-09-2017, 08:37 AM
We went last year and had a great time.
It was soooo loud that my hearing was cutting in and out. We were helping to raise the decibels of course.
We will be going back again.

:cheers:

Virginia Zags Fan
03-09-2017, 09:39 AM
Yeah. In Spokane, people go to SEE the Zags and be SEEN. In Vegas, more people go to CHEER for the Zags. I only wish the folks in Spokane would realize how much the fans can really affect a game with active participation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZagOD7540
03-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Yeah. In Spokane, people go to SEE the Zags and be SEEN. In Vegas, more people go to CHEER for the Zags. I only wish the folks in Spokane would realize how much the fans can really affect a game with active participation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and I attend every home game and cheer and root on the Zags like crazy from start to finish. We are die hard Zag fans. We are absolutely shocked that at the under 4 minute time out people start lining up to get their "Dixie cups" of beer in the Bulldog club. There is one lady who sits in our section that literally leaves at about the 10 minute mark so she can be the first in line! (I'm sure some of you may see this too). My wife and I go crazy. She has zero interest in the game. Just there for "show". We are disgusted at times too. We try to do our part in the Kennell!

TheGonzagaFactor
03-09-2017, 11:14 AM

That always happens. When I was watching us lose to Arizona, UCLA, and BYU last year I could feel the nervousness of the crowd through the TV. I literally said to myself "glad I'm not there!" If I was I'm sure some people would have had an issue with me actually cheering for the team during game play. They sure do all get up and rowdy during timeouts, though!

TheGonzagaFactor
03-09-2017, 11:16 AM
If I heard that... I'd tell them to get off that backsides or sell their tickets to someone who is willing to cheer on their team.

Doesn't work. Everyone just gets mad at you.

Zagger
03-09-2017, 12:45 PM
In Vegas it helps that you're on vacation and didn't just put in a day of work or chores. Alcohol flows a bit more freely whilst in Vegas & on vacation too. Fans are just more tuned in and there cuz they want to be + traveled a ways as well. A solution in Spokane might be some organization by the Bulldog Club on new chant handouts - some sort of during game fun (esp when stus are on vacation). The Mrs & I stand more than most but when we're amongst the few you're conscious of who's view you're blocking.

All Weather Fan
03-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Section 111 at the Kennel pleads not guilty to sitting on our hands at the home games. Been there since the Mac opened & ours is a spirited group. I too heard DD's comments about the crowd that night but I would like to see other venues when the students are gone. BTW, those referenced fans who never get to a game were occupying the absent student's seats !
Hmmmmm....... maybe it was more a case of watching a blowout. Just saying.

sylean
03-09-2017, 02:24 PM
or maybe they sat there because the geniuses in ticketing decided to put a whole bunch of Zag fans in the green bleacher seats...you know the ones where you have to walk clear down to the court and then back up to your seat...

speaking of students, there were not many, and many left early.....pretty sad....in the last game they did try to get people "on your feet" and it worked a little....mostly, not the best output by the students....

the zags in Vegas make a huge financial sacrifice to come to Vegas....travel, food, tickets, and time.....they are the ones who are going to be loud and proud.....and yes, its many, many, many , many non ST holders for the mens game....maybe surprisingly to some, but there were lots of womens BB season ticket holders there as well, representing...

bartruff1
03-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Assuming the Zags get their most fan support in the Kennel....... they were 162-12 there at the end of the 2016 season. Won some, lost one this season.

I would be very surprised if there was any data that would show a correlation to the level of noise, with or without the students, and that record.

zagbeliever
03-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Assuming the Zags get their most fan support in the Kennel....... they were 162-12 there at the end of the 2016 season. Won some, lost one this season.

I would be very surprised if there was any data that would show a correlation to the level of noise, with or without the students, and that record.

Coach Few has said he thinks the kennel club gives him about a six point advantage on the Mark Few Show. I'm sure that's a guesstimate though. It does make a more fun atmosphere and the kids regularly thank the fans for their support on Twitter after a game. Shem almost always and Nigel as well as others here and there.