• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagbeliever
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Jan 2013

Vegas spirit

We once again had such a great time in Vegas at the tournament. There are an incredible number of fans who travel there and the spirit is unbelievable! I wish the fans would display that same spirit in the kennel instead of relying on the KC (who are great). Some of the new players appeared shocked when they came out to essentially a home crowd standing and cheering. At one point during the championship game Nigel blew kisses. It was so cool. Just my thoughts on the lack of same enthusiasm in the kennel and I don't think there is a solution. It is what it is and it could be because a lot of the people who attend can't get tickets for the games can make it to Vegas. Regardless, it is SO much fun to be in that atmosphere. For the team and for the fans.
  • MontanaCoyote
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by zagbeliever View Post
    We once again had such a great time in Vegas at the tournament. There are an incredible number of fans who travel there and the spirit is unbelievable! I wish the fans would display that same spirit in the kennel instead of relying on the KC (who are great). Some of the new players appeared shocked when they came out to essentially a home crowd standing and cheering. At one point during the championship game Nigel blew kisses. It was so cool. Just my thoughts on the lack of same enthusiasm in the kennel and I don't think there is a solution. It is what it is and it could be because a lot of the people who attend can't get tickets for the games can make it to Vegas. Regardless, it is SO much fun to be in that atmosphere. For the team and for the fans.
    And I also watched our bench's reaction when good plays were made. They go nuts with excitement! So great to see.
    And Rui just gets crazy. Band of Brothers! Bless 'um all.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2009

Been lucky enough to get to a few games over the years. The fans that go to Vegas are made up the season ticket guys and then every other Zag fan out there. The latter outnumber the former I would guess. I have been in the kennel and been embarrassed by the non-student fans. Just swaths of people sitting on their hands. Perhaps that's how it is everywhere and you just don't notice it, the big time games on espn being when Duke students are there or whatever. But if you got a former All-American player, during a broadcast, commenting on the lame crowd - you might have an issue.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

When the Zags were clearly struggling vs. BYU, I was disappointed at the lack of support from the home crowd when the Zags were on defense. The Mac should have been rocking, yelling, screaming. . .didn't happen. An undefeated regular season was on the line and the Spokane fans were stunned into silence instead of getting fired up and giving their all to support the team. On Senior Night, no less.

I think the reason the WCC tourney crowds are so vocal and supportive is those fans get one chance a year (for the most part) to cheer on their team. They aren't jaded and they get fired up by the fans from the opposing team(s). Nothing like seeing BYU and SMC fans to get the enthusiasm rolling. . .
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• gonstu
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I hope to make it one year. It must suck for the fans of the other schools.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

was sitting near a zag fan flying back to Northwest today,
            we both commented on the great fan spirit shown in Vegas,
            and I commented on the polite church type clapping that goes on in the Kennel by the nonKennel
            clubbers, as a contrast.

Comment

• zagbeliever
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by gonstu View Post
              I hope to make it one year. It must suck for the fans of the other schools.
              You really really should. I promise you you will have the time of your lives. Everyone is so friendly and happy. Other fans except BYU friendly too except for when we play them lol. I am still hoarse from all the screaming and more importantly the players really love the support. So cool. Oh and yes it does bother other fans ���� One year a lady snidley said "Don't you people own any other clothes?" Lol. No not in ZAG season.

Comment

• Zags11
                Banned
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                When the Zags were clearly struggling vs. BYU, I was disappointed at the lack of support from the home crowd when the Zags were on defense. The Mac should have been rocking, yelling, screaming. . .didn't happen. An undefeated regular season was on the line and the Spokane fans were stunned into silence instead of getting fired up and giving their all to support the team. On Senior Night, no less.

I think the reason the WCC tourney crowds are so vocal and supportive is those fans get one chance a year (for the most part) to cheer on their team. They aren't jaded and they get fired up by the fans from the opposing team(s). Nothing like seeing BYU and SMC fans to get the enthusiasm rolling. . .
                A lot of the non kc crowd is mute at times. Or at BYU game seemed scared.

Comment

• zagcheer78
                  Kennel Club
                  • Feb 2007

We went last year and had a great time.
                  It was soooo loud that my hearing was cutting in and out. We were helping to raise the decibels of course.
                  We will be going back again.

Comment

• Birddog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

The TV announcers for the 3 games referred to the Orleans Arena as "Spokane South" several times and mentioned how well the Zag fans travel. On the small screen they were noticeably loud on several occasions.
                    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                    All mimsy were the borogoves,
                    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• HenneZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Aug 2012

I go to Vegas just about every year, and the atmosphere is much better IMO. Most of the percentage of fans that go have a build up of excitement because they don't get to see the Zags in the kennel, they get to unleash the energy in Vegas.

On the flip side many not all of season ticket holders in the Kennel get stagnant. I often get stares and am told to sit down if I get too excited at games, pretty unfortunate really.
                      America's Team!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
                        I go to Vegas just about every year, and the atmosphere is much better IMO. Most of the percentage of fans that go have a build up of excitement because they don't get to see the Zags in the kennel, they get to unleash the energy in Vegas.

On the flip side many not all of season ticket holders in the Kennel get stagnant. I often get stares and am told to sit down if I get too excited at games, pretty unfortunate really.
                        If I heard that... I'd tell them to get off that backsides or sell their tickets to someone who is willing to cheer on their team.
                        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Zags11
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post

Yea kind of hear grumblings sometimes. It depends on the section I've noticed.

Comment

• Just_An_Old_Zag
                            Kennel Club
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by zagcheer78 View Post
                            We went last year and had a great time.
                            It was soooo loud that my hearing was cutting in and out. We were helping to raise the decibels of course.
                            We will be going back again.

Comment

• Virginia Zags Fan
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Nov 2009

Yeah. In Spokane, people go to SEE the Zags and be SEEN. In Vegas, more people go to CHEER for the Zags. I only wish the folks in Spokane would realize how much the fans can really affect a game with active participation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X