PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat staggering statistics

Birddog
03-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Gonzaga's dominance in the WCC is truly amazing. Starting in the 93/94 season Gonzaga has won or shared the WCC Regular Season title 21 times. The only seasons they were not at least Co-Champs were 94/95, 96/97, and 99/00.

In WCC Tournament action the Bulldogs have played in the last 20 final games winning the title 16 of those years. Since 1995 they have appeared in the title game 23 of 24 times. The only year they didn't reach the Championship was 97. In that same stretch, not surprisingly the Tournament MVP was from Gonzaga each time they won. GU had repeat MVP's 3 times with Dickau, Morrison, and Wiltjer each winning in back to back years. The only other B to B winner was Hank Gathers.

The Zags have won 5 straight now. In the 20 year stretch, the only non-Gonzaga winners were USD and SMC each 2 times. Gonzaga is heading into their 19th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance and 20th overall. Pretty heady stuff for the little school on Boone Ave.

If my numbers are off, post it and I'll correct.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-08-2017, 05:12 PM
94/95 was the year that they finished fourth in the regular season standings - the lowest showing of the past twenty-five years. It was also the year that John Rillie got hit from three-point range during the WCC tourney and shot the Zags into the school's first ever NCAA tournament appearance. Good memories.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Mark Few gets my vote for Coach of the Vicennial.