PDA

View Full Version : Karnowski is the All-Time Wins Leader with 132

Zags_Fanatic
03-08-2017, 12:17 PM
I know that Battier has been touted as the all-time leader 133 wins, but this isn't correct. Duke won 133 games over his 4 seasons, however, Battier didn't play in two of the wins in the 1998-99 season. Those two games were against Fresno State and UNC. Hopefully the media can jump on this and Mt. Karno can get the credit he deserves.

RenoZag
03-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Wonder if Goodman, Davis, and others, would actually give a hoot. . .

Congrats to Mr. Karnowski ! A mountain masquerading as a man. . .

nonzagzag
03-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Is this record including Karno's wins from last year before he was injured? Because if it includes wins from 4 seasons + a bit of a fifth it might be a little tainted.

MontanaCoyote
03-08-2017, 12:35 PM
I know that Battier has been touted as the all-time leader 133 wins, but this isn't correct. Duke won 133 games over his 4 seasons, however, Battier didn't play in two of the wins in the 1998-99 season. Those two games were against Fresno State and UNC. Hopefully the media can jump on this and Mt. Karno can get the credit he deserves.

Excellent. Hope the error is corrected. Didn't know about this so figured Karno needed 1 win to tie, 2 to stand alone.
Stands alone for me, regardless!

sittingon50
03-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Is this record including Karno's wins from last year before he was injured? Because if it includes wins from 4 seasons + a bit of a fifth it might be a little tainted.

Yes. Just like all other stats accumulated.

23dpg
03-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Wow, nice pick up! FYI, I found a box score of Duke vs FS and he's not listed. How did you find this out?

Zags_Fanatic
03-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Wow, nice pick up! FYI, I found a box score of Duke vs FS and he's not listed. How did you find this out?

Too much time on my hands and I thought it was odd that Duke had exactly 133 wins. It's possible but seems fairly rare for a player to play in every game over 4 years. The other game was the final regular season game vs. UNC.

MontanaCoyote
03-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Too much time on my hands and I thought it was odd that Duke had exactly 133 wins. It's possible but seems fairly rare for a player to play in every game over 4 years. The other game was the final regular season game vs. UNC.

Genius! Or close enough. Nice work!

gonstu
03-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Someone should tweet this to some of the big analysts to set the record straight...bilas, parrish? goodman?

RenoZag
03-08-2017, 03:56 PM
If the Athletic Department publishes it with their next "Game Notes" Press Release, it might make the air. . .

So: How many games played did it take for Battier to get those wins ? Same question for Shem ??

Once and Future Zag
03-08-2017, 04:00 PM
If the Athletic Department publishes it with their next "Game Notes" Press Release, it might make the air. . .

So: How many games played did it take Battier for to get those wins ? Same question for Shem ??

Battier: 146 (assuming that wasn't a borked stat as well)
Mt. K: 146 (at the moment)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_players_w ith_145_games_played

RenoZag
03-08-2017, 04:22 PM
Battier: 146 (assuming that wasn't a borked stat as well)
Mt. K: 146 (at the moment)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_players_w ith_145_games_played

Thanks. During his career, Duke played 148 games, winning 133. Shane B played 146 of the 148. His "wins" have to be 131, not 133.

KStyles
03-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Battier's wins are listed as 131 on page 126 of Duke's 2016-17 Media guide, games played as 146 on the same page. I wonder where the 133 figure originated?

http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/media-guides/mbb/2016-17/2016-17_Duke_MBB_Media_Guide.pdf

jazzdelmar
03-08-2017, 05:56 PM
This stat and JWs winning taps. Like to hear about these.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2017, 05:58 PM
I hope this record stands for a while because I would love to hear people try to pronounce Przemysław Karnowski 10 years from now.

tummydoc
03-08-2017, 07:55 PM
I think they are saying career wins=wins by team during your career. Doesn't have to play to count. Rem's numbers are huge, and he didn't play much.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

RenoZag
03-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Duke's media guide entry has this footnote re: Most Overall Victories

"Victories Count if Player Saw Action in Game." The same reference also indicates Battier as the NCAA Record Holder.

23dpg
03-08-2017, 08:25 PM
I think they are saying career wins=wins by team during your career. Doesn't have to play to count. Rem's numbers are huge, and he didn't play much.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Different stat. You have to play in the game for it to count. According to the mist recent info, Karnowski is the leader.

bigblahla
03-10-2017, 10:47 AM
interesting...off of SSF...

In comments

"Karnowski is ALREADY the winningest player in NCAA history. Battier missed 2 games in the 1998-99 season against Fresno State and UNC so he only played in 131 of those wins. It would have been nice to have more of a buildup and celebration after the SCU and SMC wins but the fact is that Karnowski is already the outright winningest player with 132.

In case anyone doesn't believe this, check out page 126 in this Duke Media Guide
http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/media-guides/mbb/2016-17/2016-17_Duke_MBB_Media_Guide.pdf"

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/3/10/14885708/przemek-karnowski-kareem-abdul-jabbar-award-finalist-gonzaga-bulldog

Go!! Zags!!!

23dpg
03-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Zags_Fanatic came up with that info.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?59659-Karnowski-is-the-All-Time-Wins-Leader-with-132

I hope SSF credited him.

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Yep... their guide says 131... pg 126.

MontanaCoyote
03-10-2017, 11:10 AM
interesting...off of SSF...

In comments

"Karnowski is ALREADY the winningest player in NCAA history. Battier missed 2 games in the 1998-99 season against Fresno State and UNC so he only played in 131 of those wins. It would have been nice to have more of a buildup and celebration after the SCU and SMC wins but the fact is that Karnowski is already the outright winningest player with 132.

In case anyone doesn't believe this, check out page 126 in this Duke Media Guide
http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/media-guides/mbb/2016-17/2016-17_Duke_MBB_Media_Guide.pdf"

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/3/10/14885708/przemek-karnowski-kareem-abdul-jabbar-award-finalist-gonzaga-bulldog

Go!! Zags!!!

Karno, Shem, The Mountain, Shemmick, The Presence, et al..................Now The King! King Karnowski, King Karno, take your pick. He Rules the Middle, too!

Zags_Fanatic
03-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Just wanted to say that this thread was also credited by none other than Tommy Lloyd during the banquet tonight, just in case anyone ever wonders if any of the coaches are reading. Got one extra standing O for Karnowski and now the true record is definitely on the athletic department's radar.

ZAG'em
03-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Just wanted to say that this thread was also credited by none other than Tommy Lloyd during the banquet tonight, just in case anyone ever wonders if any of the coaches are reading. Got one extra standing O for Karnowski and now the true record is definitely on the athletic department's radar.

So are you the stats guy he was referring to about digging out the truth. If so good job.

RenoZag
03-10-2017, 10:13 PM

:clap:

Good work, fanatic.

azzagfan
03-11-2017, 02:27 AM
I say he gets six more to bring it to even 138. Who's with me?

sittingon50
03-11-2017, 09:41 AM
:agreed:

MontanaCoyote
03-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Pulling for as many as he and the Zag's can get. I'm already missing Karno. Just can't picture turning on that 1st Zag game
next season and not seeing "The Presence" roaming around, directing traffic, and just filling up the middle like no one else can. Really going to Miss The Mountain!

krii
03-12-2017, 12:10 PM
Pulling for as many as he and the Zag's can get. I'm already missing Karno. Just can't picture turning on that 1st Zag game
next season and not seeing "The Presence" roaming around, directing traffic, and just filling up the middle like no one else can. Really going to Miss The Mountain!
He'll be in the league replacing Ronny there. Hopefully in some good team as well!

I have a strong belief that Collins will develop similar on-court coach skills. He is a quick learn, it is visible in his game that he was watching Karnowski's passes and moves. I bet it will help him in a future and, importantly, he'll be a second-coming of Karno next season. But first let's win it all!

rawkmandale
03-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Yes. I was also at the banquet, and this was probably the most notable "news" of the night. Well, also that Ryan Edwards was missing due to "being under the weather." Get well, Mr. Edwards.

JPtheBeasta
03-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Karnowksi seems to be the all-time leader in nicknames.

RenoZag
03-14-2017, 06:24 AM
Coach Few did an interview on ESPN's Mike & Mike Show this morning. Trey Wingo brought up Karnowski's status as the NCAA record holder for most wins by a player.

Wingo also threw out that if Few gets to the S16, he will have reached 500 wins faster than just two other coaches: Adolph Rupp and Jerry Tarkanian.

MontanaCoyote
03-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Coach Few did an interview on ESPN's Mike & Mike Show this morning. Trey Wingo brought up Karnowski's status as the NCAA record holder for most wins by a player.

Wingo also threw out that if Few gets to the S16, he will have reached 500 wins faster than just two other coaches: Adolph Rupp and Jerry Tarkanian.

I have to put an asterisk on Rupp. Called Texas Western players "coons" during halftime of the NCAA championship game in 1966. (TW played the entire game with 5 black players, Kentucky was an all white squad). Refused to recruit Connie Hawkins out of high school when he found out he was black. Refused to shake hands with TW players after the championship game. Cursed them on his death bed. Had one black player his entire Kentucky career in 70-71.

Can't deny him his wins, but I've had that asterisk above his name for 50 years.......and it's staying there!

Bogozags
03-14-2017, 07:47 AM
I have to put an asterisk on Rupp. Called Texas Western players "coons" during halftime of the NCAA championship game in 1966. (TW played the entire game with 5 black players, Kentucky was an all white squad). Refused to recruit Connie Hawkins out of high school when he found out he was black. Refused to shake hands with TW players after the championship game. Cursed them on his death bed. Had one black player his entire Kentucky career in 70-71.

Can't deny him his wins, but I've had that asterisk above his name for 50 years.......and it's staying there!

If Memory serves the one black player he had was a 7footer and I think his name was Payne and I believe he was accused of either rape or sexual assault of a "white" woman and again if memory serves he was convicted...I remember reading where he was innocent but back in those days a black person's innocence was not important regarding trial verdicts...

MontanaCoyote
03-14-2017, 08:18 AM
If Memory serves the one black player he had was a 7footer and I think his name was Payne and I believe he was accused of either rape or sexual assault of a "white" woman and again if memory serves he was convicted...I remember reading where he was innocent but back in those days a black person's innocence was not important regarding trial verdicts...

Payne and 7 footer is correct. Don't remember the rest. Sure wouldn't doubt it though.

Once and Future Zag
03-15-2017, 10:18 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/15/upon-further-review-karnowski-tops-ncaa-wins-list/

Upon further review, Gonzaga’s Przemek Karnowski is the new NCAA Division I all-time wins leader.

The NCAA doesn’t keep an official wins tally but informed Gonzaga sports information director Barrett Henderson that Battier had 133 victories. The same number was listed in Battier’s bio when he played for the Miami Heat.

Henderson double-checked and received confirmation that Battier didn’t play in two games in the 1998-99 season. Duke’s media guide also lists Battier with 131 wins.

Zags_Fanatic
03-15-2017, 10:29 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/15/upon-further-review-karnowski-tops-ncaa-wins-list/

"Henderson" pshh, stealing all my internet glory :roll:

DixieZag
03-15-2017, 10:50 AM
He'll be in the league replacing Ronny there. Hopefully in some good team as well!

I have a strong belief that Collins will develop similar on-court coach skills. He is a quick learn, it is visible in his game that he was watching Karnowski's passes and moves. I bet it will help him in a future and, importantly, he'll be a second-coming of Karno next season. But first let's win it all!

There's nothing I want more for Shem than to land a spot in the NBA.

I just don't know. The NBA people around here have discussed how the league has changed for back to basket players. It seems like a new entry-requirement is the ability to shoot 3s as a big, ala Kelly and Zach.

I've always wondered if Shem could shoot from further out.

Regardless, I hope he gets the chance but it seems unlikely.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2017, 11:26 AM
As a tribute to Mr. Karnowski, I've been adapting the lyrics of the song "Big John" to "Big Shem". Here's the first few verses:

Every mornin' at the Mac you could see him arrive
He stood seven-foot-one and weighed two-ninety-five
Kinda huge at the shoulder and broad at the hip
And everybody knew ya didn't give no lip to big Shem
(Big Shem, big Shem)
Big bad Shem (big Shem)

Everybody knows where Shem called home
He landed into Spokane from a town in Poland
He didn't say much, kinda quiet and shy
And if you spoke at all, you just said hi to Big Shem

Blue bloods said he had no game
Until he stuffed Okafor in the Elite Eight game
He took down Jock with a sweet left hook
And took the Zags to the Promised Land, big Shem
(Big Shem, big Shem)
Big bad Shem (big Shem)

Don't worry, I'm not giving up my day job...

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Karnowski season highlights.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IkF338kT1vc

CDC84
03-15-2017, 06:06 PM
A miscalculation folks. Fuzzy math. Karno has surpassed Battier. Few is still at 498. Gets to 500 by getting to sweet 16:

23dpg
03-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Zag_fanatic uncovered this gem.

Default Karnowski is the All-Time Wins Leader with 132

Link here

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?59659-Karnowski-is-the-All-Time-Wins-Leader-with-132/page2

willandi
03-15-2017, 06:55 PM
There's nothing I want more for Shem than to land a spot in the NBA.

I just don't know. The NBA people around here have discussed how the league has changed for back to basket players. It seems like a new entry-requirement is the ability to shoot 3s as a big, ala Kelly and Zach.

I've always wondered if Shem could shoot from further out.

Regardless, I hope he gets the chance but it seems unlikely.

Cars have changed due to fuel requirements, entire lines of vehicles...and yet, the muscle car is still desirable. The car that is FAST is still desirable.

It only takes 1 nba exec to believe that a 7' center that can shoot 60%= in the paint, that can hit the cutter or the outside shooter, and can clog the center on D is a good thing.

RenoZag
03-15-2017, 09:57 PM
"Henderson" pshh, stealing all my internet glory :roll:

You wuz robbed. . .