PDA

View Full Version : Where the team stands right now resume wise

CDC84
03-08-2017, 09:35 AM
RPI Rank = 10
5-0 vs. the RPI top 25 (snobs gripe about the 3 SMC wins, who are at 17. Florida is at 5, Zona 9. The Trier thing has lost some momentum because the Cats, arguably, haven't been as good since his return).
6-1 vs. RPI top 50
10-1 vs. RPI top 100
Kenpom.com = #1, 2.74 ahead of #2 team, Villanova
Adjusted defensive efficiency = 3
Adjusted offensive efficiency = 8
Defensive FG % = 36.8%
3 Pt Defensive FG % = 30.0%
Offensive FG % = 51.8%

The offense has slowly been sliding the last couple of weeks. The BYU loss didn't help. GU might slide out of the top 10 before Selection Sunday.

DixieZag
03-08-2017, 09:41 AM
If a team that goes 32-1, with a 5-0 record in RPI top 25s doesn't get a one seed, it would be gob-smacking. And, unlike some years, I think the pundits would be making a lot of noise about it.

And, they looked awfully good for most of the game last night as the last thing the committee sees.

Sarenyon
03-08-2017, 11:20 AM
The dreaded RPI has us at 10, could end with an 11 or 12, but probably 10... IF we are a two seed - this is why. The committee is still stuck on this tool that is proved to be unreliable.

Pallet
03-08-2017, 11:32 AM
It would be great if Iowa State, Akron, and San Diego State would win their conference tourneys to move up RPI tiers. Would add one more top 25, 50, and 100 win to the resume.

CDC84
03-08-2017, 11:41 AM
What was the 2013 teams RPI? If I recall, it was something like 8.

Goshzagit
03-08-2017, 11:44 AM
The dreaded RPI has us at 10, could end with an 11 or 12, but probably 10... IF we are a two seed - this is why. The committee is still stuck on this tool that is proved to be unreliable.

They say they aren't but based on February's "pre" seeding, they most certainly are leading with RPI...Lunardi remarked on on this & so did Ken Pom.

Its supposedly just 'another tool or metric' but certainly swayed by it, even though its considered out dated.

We have added 2 more Top 25 RPI & BPI wins since they released the ranking.

Only 2 other teams can even claim that since then!

I am expecting #2 seed, unless UCLA wins Pac 12 Tourney, then the lowest #1 seed.

Although the #16 seeds loom better than the #15 seeds this year.

16 seeds UC Irvine & Texas Southern & North Dakota have NBA prospects & given P5 opponents a game...heck Tex So has potential 1st Rd draft pick...not many 16 seeds can say that...just speaks to how incredibly deep this Tourney is...

Speaking of, we could be playing 8 seed Miami in 2nd Rd. They beat UNC, Virginia, Duke, Florida St, etc this year...or what about Virginia & West Va as 4 seeds?

Damn. This same team last yr walks into the Final 4, imho. Right past Cuse.

This season, a 5 seed could win it! Deeeepppppp

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2017, 12:00 PM
I'd say be ready for a 2 seed or worse. I have little faith in the NCAA. I'd even venture a guess that the Zags won't even be the top 2 seed... could even drop to a 3 seed. For mid-majors... committee almost always follows RPI to the dot... Power conference teams, not so much.

CDC84
03-08-2017, 12:05 PM
I can't see how they can give Arizona a one over GU when they won the head to head matchup and the team has arguably gotten worse since Trier has returned, and you would be surprised how close UCLA's overall SoS is compared to GU's.

One possibility that likely won't happen but is not impossible. If all hell breaks loose in the ACC tourney, you could see Oregon or Gonzaga shipped out to Memphis as a one seed. More than a few analysts have mentioned this. The ACC schools do not have absolute lock, number one seed resumes. Not even UNC. Personally, I would rather have a 2 in the west than a one in Memphis. No crowd support back east.

Speaking of, we could be playing 8 seed Miami in 2nd Rd. They beat UNC, Virginia, Duke, Florida St, etc this year...or what about Virginia & West Va as 4 seeds?

Don't mean to diminish their accomplishments, but like Florida State, Miami FLA is a massively different team on the road. SLC and especially SAC is a long way from Miami. That being said, I would rather play Providence or Arkansas or some team like that. Especially because Miami FLA has a superb coach.

Zagceo
03-08-2017, 12:06 PM
if dropped to a 3 seed no West Region

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/rpi/

seacatfan
03-08-2017, 12:08 PM
A 3 seed? Really?! I cannot fathom that happening.

Kinda gotta hope Syracuse doesn't get it, so that they don't do something like last year where a mediocre, bumbling power 5 school somehow ends up in the Final 4.

stevet75
03-08-2017, 12:09 PM
I don't see the Zags being a three seed, but I wouldn't be shocked if we weren't the top 2 seed.

I'd say be ready for a 2 seed or worse. I have little faith in the NCAA. I'd even venture a guess that the Zags won't even be the top 2 seed... could even drop to a 3 seed. For mid-majors... committee almost always follows RPI to the dot... Power conference teams, not so much.

zagdontzig
03-08-2017, 12:11 PM
I think much of this is yet to be decided, for example what happens in the PAC12, and what happens to UNC and the ACC? I could see UNC taking it from us.

thebigsmoove
03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
There is absolutely no way that Gonzaga doesnt get a #1 seed. Its about as close as possible to a guarantee at this point. Id say if anything, we move up the list closer to #1 overall seed if North Carolina, Kansas, or Villanova disappoint.

thebigsmoove
03-08-2017, 12:14 PM
#1 KenPom
#1 Sagarin
#2 BPI
#4 AP/Coaches

Yes that pesky RPI at #10, but its not as revered as it was 5 years ago...Zags will be #1 in the West.

Zagceo
03-08-2017, 12:20 PM
#1 KenPom
#1 Sagarin
#2 BPI
#4 AP/Coaches

Yes that pesky RPI at #10, but its not as revered as it was 5 years ago...Zags will be #1 in the West.

watch what they do and not what they say

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-02-11/march-madness-mark-hollis-discusses-first-release-top-16-be

CDC84
03-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Getting a 2 would also lead to far fewer complaints from BCS snobs.

There are still a lot of people who have GU has their one seed in the west, but again, this is before the Pac 12 tourney.

TexasZag
03-08-2017, 12:24 PM
A 3 seed? Really?! I cannot fathom that happening.

Kinda gotta hope Syracuse doesn't get it, so that they don't do something like last year where a mediocre, bumbling power 5 school somehow ends up in the Final 4.

I believe USA Today had us as a 3 seed before last night's win. Since then they've moved us back to a 2.

zagsfanforlife
03-08-2017, 12:25 PM
I am preparing for a 2 seed. The Pac10 Winner if it is Oregon or UCLA will be fresh in the committees mind. That winner will receive the 4th overall #1 with zags being the 5th overall seed.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2017, 12:33 PM
I think the boys deserve the a 1 seed. I have mentally prepared myself to hear them announced as a 3 seed.

Zags11
03-08-2017, 12:39 PM
If we aren't a 1 seed....I'm cool with selection Sunday if we are this record again. 32-1 deserves a 1 seed.

sittingon50
03-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Give the Zags a 2 (in the West) & let the players play really PISSED.

VaBeachZAG
03-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Give the Zags a 2 (in the West) & let the players play really PISSED.

Plus, if the top 2 seed, it guarantees the west region.

gonzagafan62
03-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Top 25 RPI wins (after a great win against SMC and another title)

Gonzaga : 5
UCLA : 3
Oregon : 2
Arizona : 1

Strength of Schedule:

Pacific : 83
Saint Mary's: 84
Gonzaga : 86
Pepperdine : 88
UCLA : 92

gueastcoast
03-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Speaking for myself, I'd be fine with a 2 in the west, but a huge part of me thinks that a team with our metrics and a single loss can't get a one seed, the world has turned upside down. I just don't see how it would be justified.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2017, 02:41 PM
It'll be a 2 out west. If Oregon runs the table I can almost guarantee it. And that's fine by me and perhaps for the players and coaches. They might play better if they feel a little disrespected.

RenoZag
03-08-2017, 03:28 PM
I think the boys deserve the a 1 seed. I have mentally prepared myself to hear them announced as a 3 seed.

I'm mentally prepared to hear "2 seed." I think a 3 seed is out of the question.

zagfan24
03-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Agree with those predicting a 2, sadly. I can easily see a scenario in which Nova, Kansas, UNC, and Oregon/UCLA are given 1 seeds.

DixieZag
03-08-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm mentally prepared to hear "2 seed." I think a 3 seed is out of the question.

??? 3 seed? Because of the RPI, right? Sad, I wonder if any of those guys on their own check out the Kenpom stuff.

The two things that would be cool about the 2 seed; It would be great to hear the media squeal like pigs b/c I think they do, actually, "get it" this year. And, mother of god, it would be a monumental "F-You" to the team, and I think they'd absolutely obliterate teams on their way, honest.

zagsfanforlife
03-08-2017, 07:37 PM
It'll be a 2 out west. If Oregon runs the table I can almost guarantee it. And that's fine by me and perhaps for the players and coaches. They might play better if they feel a little disrespected.

Exactly my thoughts. And what i expect if Oregon or UCLA win the Pac 12 tourney

gonzagafan62
03-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Exactly my thoughts. And what i expect if Oregon or UCLA win the Pac 12 tourney

Neither one stack up resume wise. Neither does Arizona... could see it though

RenoZag
03-08-2017, 07:44 PM
ESPN has updated the "Nitty Gritty Report" and it shows GU as the 3rd # 1 seed. . .

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/nitty

FWIW: 8 & 9 seeds: Virginia Tech, Dayton, Miami, Wichita State, Arkansas, Northwestern, Michigan, VCU. Miami & Wichita State will be tough Round of 32 opponents regardless their match-ups.

zagsfanforlife
03-08-2017, 08:16 PM
What you guys are forgetting is the LACK OF RESPECT that the committee showed when it came out with the initial seedings...

Do you forget we were the last #4 and were UNDEFEATED? Now we have a loss.. end our play on Tuesday and the two teams ahead of us will have another top 10 win on their resume right before the last # 1 seed is awarded. I am positive we will be a #2.

gonzagafan62
03-08-2017, 08:19 PM
What you guys are forgetting is the LACK OF RESPECT that the committee showed when it came out with the initial seedings...

Do you forget we were the last #4 and were UNDEFEATED? Now we have a loss.. end our play on Tuesday and the two teams ahead of us will have another top 10 win on their resume right before the last # 1 seed is awarded. I am positive we will be a #2.

They also said the #1s were the clear #1s. Like Few said last night "Let them seed us fifth if they want to"

PLAY DEFIANT and prove every doubters wrong

Go damn zags!

RenoZag
03-08-2017, 08:39 PM
What you guys are forgetting is the LACK OF RESPECT that the committee showed when it came out with the initial seedings...I am positive we will be a #2.

I'm not forgetting anything. And I'm not positive GU is a 2 seed. It's Weds night. Gotta have some hope the 1 seed can happen. Will I be shocked if GU's a 2 ? Nope.

zagdontzig
03-08-2017, 10:07 PM
ESPN has updated the "Nitty Gritty Report" and it shows GU as the 3rd # 1 seed. . .

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/nitty

FWIW: 8 & 9 seeds: Virginia Tech, Dayton, Miami, Wichita State, Arkansas, Northwestern, Michigan, VCU. Miami & Wichita State will be tough Round of 32 opponents regardless their match-ups.

That list doesn't seem to be in order, unless there are some upsets I don't know about. Just want to say I called UNC a 1 seed on the first page of this thread though.

Zigzag92
03-09-2017, 01:24 AM
matchups mean a hell of a lot more than seeding...I'll bet we see Duke in the sweet 16 and then we'll be in a world of ####

jazzdelmar
03-09-2017, 03:33 AM
matchups mean a hell of a lot more than seeding...I'll bet we see Duke in the sweet 16 and then we'll be in a world of ####

They could play Duke 1,000 times and not win once.

Zaga
03-09-2017, 05:15 AM

Sounds like something Dickie V may think but never say! Have another cup of joe and put on some Carly!

jazzdelmar
03-09-2017, 05:37 AM
Sounds like something Dickie V may think but never say! Have another cup of joe and put on some Carly!

"These are the good old days......."

ZagMan in Philly
03-09-2017, 05:47 AM

call me crazy Jazz, but I want to see Duke this year.

jazzdelmar
03-09-2017, 05:50 AM

Um, good friend, think on that a bit....I just think Koach and the Duke system are a terrible match for GU.....leave it at that.

Zaga
03-09-2017, 05:58 AM
+1

bartruff1
03-09-2017, 06:10 AM

I think that is likely ...a Big Ten Team, Duke and one of UCLA, Arizona or Oregon....then Kansas....or teams of comparable seeds.....assuming they advance...

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 06:36 AM

But if they do... they'll immediately point to RPI... then say vaguely other contributing factors. Last year showed the committee turns to the RPI as a "shield" when they screw over non-Power5 conferences. I hope I am wrong about all of this, but the committee has made me cynical to the nth degree over the years.

DixieZag
03-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Wow, you're taking your role extremely seriously, this is one for all time. You've sure got the coach of the year's number. :)

With this years team, I would be surprised if they didn't' win a majority.

jazzdelmar
03-09-2017, 06:45 AM
Wow, you're taking your role extremely seriously, this is one for all time. You've sure got the coach of the year's number. :)

With this years team, I would be surprised if they didn't' win a majority.

Exaggerating for effect, obviously...Being writerly, you know that. Just a bad matchup; I have eye witnessed it twice. Not pretty. Rather Kansas, et al.

Zigzag92
03-09-2017, 06:46 AM

Id hardly say that...but Duke is probably the worst matchup for the Zags that they could play before the elite 8 if the committee decides to really screw us. Kennard and Allen could neutralize NWG and we dont have anyone that can guard Tatum. Add the favoritism from the refs and we'd be in trouble

gonzagafan62
03-09-2017, 06:49 AM

Is it bad that I could see this happening just bc of the calls Duke gets?

willandi
03-09-2017, 07:03 AM

So what you must be saying is that Duke wins, no matter the score, because if you truly think that on a neutral floor, Duke beats Gonzaga 1000 straight times, you are delusional.

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 07:22 AM
No team beats another (remotely comparable) team 1000 times in a row... not even 100 times in a row... not even 10 times in a row.

Zagceo
03-09-2017, 07:25 AM
But if they do... they'll immediately point to RPI... then say vaguely other contributing factors. Last year showed the committee turns to the RPI as a "shield" when they screw over non-Power5 conferences. I hope I am wrong about all of this, but the committee has made me cynical to the nth degree over the years.

agree.....

Zagceo
03-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Exaggerating for effect, obviously...Being writerly, you know that. Just a bad matchup; I have eye witnessed it twice. Not pretty. Rather Kansas, et al.

obviously some people need the jazz decoder ring

DixieZag
03-09-2017, 08:55 AM

Hence the smiley face - I knew.

Then, threw out the guess that maybe they'd win over half. Maybe. Duke is so up and down. More so than many top teams. I don't perceive Kansas as being high/low like that. It would be extremely satisfying to beat them.

DixieZag
03-09-2017, 08:57 AM
obviously some people need the jazz decoder ring

The smiley face didn't indicate that I'd decoded the thing exactly right? Maybe I'm not the only one in need of a decoder ring. :)

Or, maybe I just am a terrible writer.

TravelinZag
03-09-2017, 09:18 AM
It would be great if Iowa State, Akron, and San Diego State would win their conference tourneys to move up RPI tiers. Would add one more top 25, 50, and 100 win to the resume.

Yes it would, especially with some upsets to teams above GU. Percentages tied to high seeds, but love Coach's defiant take on the subject.

TexasZagFan
03-09-2017, 09:25 AM
Yes it would, especially with some upsets to teams above GU. Percentages tied to high seeds, but love Coach's defiant take on the subject.

Might be playing ninja mind tricks with the committee.

No doubt, he'll have better success than I did with my 15 YO. Barely a week after I dropped hints about enrolling him at NMMI in September, he goes out and gets himself elected as Senior Patrol Leader of his Scout troop. I was never a scout, so I researched the duties of that position. He, and by extension me, will not have a life for the next six months.

Our 40 strong troop will grow by another 21 (or more) on Saturday. Everyone's going to have to pitch in to make it work.

No more ninja mind tricks for me...

MDABE80
03-09-2017, 09:28 AM
This is the week that lots of RPI heavyweights lose games. I'd like to think the Zags stay on the one line. I think we will. I wonder if Kansas or Nova losing might boost us back to our "rightful" position as a no 1 in the polls. Could happen. Lots of losses coming though. We're so high in the polls, only Kansas or Nova losses would help us.

TexasZagFan
03-09-2017, 09:31 AM
This is the week that lots of RPI heavyweights lose games. I'd like to think the Zags stay on the one line. I think we will. I wonder if Kansas or Nova losing might boost us back to our "rightful" position as a no 1 in the polls. Could happen. Lots of losses coming though. We're so high in the polls, only Kansas or Nova losses would help us.

St. John's isn't much help today...lol. After last night's game, they had to be spent.

seacatfan
03-09-2017, 10:20 AM
No team beats another (remotely comparable) team 1000 times in a row... not even 100 times in a row... not even 10 times in a row.

Unless the UConn women were involved.

Duke is an interesting case. If the Zags run into them early, there will be cries of how unfair it is and they were underseeded. But w/ 8 losses and counting, if they get a top 3 seed or so, there will be cries of them getting overseeded. What do you do w/ a power 5 team loaded w/ talent that underachieved during the season? You have to seed them based on how they performed, not based on how good they potentially could be. Many on this board like to rail against the middle of the pack power 5 teams, but unfortunately some of those teams actually are really dangerous and can beat anybody on any given day (Syracuse from last year anyone?).

LongIslandZagFan
03-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Unless the UConn women were involved.

Duke is an interesting case. If the Zags run into them early, there will be cries of how unfair it is and they were underseeded. But w/ 8 losses and counting, if they get a top 3 seed or so, there will be cries of them getting overseeded. What do you do w/ a power 5 team loaded w/ talent that underachieved during the season? You have to seed them based on how they performed, not based on how good they potentially could be. Many on this board like to rail against the middle of the pack power 5 teams, but unfortunately some of those teams actually are really dangerous and can beat anybody on any given day (Syracuse from last year anyone?).

Like I said... remotely comparable... UConn women is semi-pro playing college players. It's part of the reason I have issues with the women's game. JMHO, but Uconn is like a dark cloud over the sport that, to some extent, takes the enjoyment of watching it away.

NotoriousZ
03-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Would love to see Kansas lose so the Pac12 winner can grab the fourth one seed. Any of UCLA/Oregon/Arizona would defeat the Jayhawks this year.

Given our victory vs. Arizona, I just can't see the committee screwing us out of a one seed. I guess we'll see on Sunday.

Zagceo
03-09-2017, 11:54 AM
anybody her andy katz at half? said conference standings aren't important according to people in the room deciding brackets.....UCLA wins at Arizona and Kentucky more important than winning Pac 12

seacatfan
03-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Didn't hear Katz. I disagree. Winning your league has to count for something. Unbalanced schedules w/ conferences w/ too many members muddies the waters though, since everybody doesn't play the same schedule. Arizona beat UCLA at Pauley, so that's a wash.

Zagceo
03-09-2017, 12:01 PM
the other announcer didn't agree with him

seacatfan
03-09-2017, 12:04 PM
To clarify, that's not necessarily Katz' own opinion, just what he's heard the committee members think, correct?

Zagceo
03-09-2017, 12:05 PM
correct

Zagceo
03-09-2017, 12:21 PM
In my latest Field of 68 bracket preditions, I moved Gonzaga back up to the top seed line after a third thoroughly impressive win over a very good Saint Mary’s team in the WCC title game. That No. 1 seed isn't set in stone, though. The Pac-12 tournament champion could easily wind up there by the end of the week, especially if the winner of the Arizona/UCLA semifinal beats Oregon in the title game.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/ncaa-basketball-march-madness-2017-tournament-bracket-bubble-bracketology-gonzaga-duke/7sqy7b7vshoo1ui9f7y697l1m