PDA

View Full Version : A little referee love?

GonzaGAW
03-07-2017, 07:51 PM
I thought the referees really let the players play, I thought we got away with quite a bit of bumping and physical play under the basket.

semi and final games, opponents 35 fouls, zags but 25. trips to the free throw line, opponents 18 and zags 40.

sure we were more aggressive and that nets fouls and free throws. but just saying, given 57 posts in a row about negative referring, I thought they deserve a positive post.

ZagsGoZags
03-07-2017, 07:56 PM
in the first five minutes of the game I thought I saw two clean blocked shots by St Mary's that nevertheless got the play called against them.

after that I thought reffing look even

will have to see replays, though to be more confident of my opinion on that ...

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Zags got some bumping in there that might go smc way at smc. But the refs were giving no credence to smc's D if we got in the lane from the 1-3 spots. Get in there and get ball up and take a shot, the raking was called.

ProVeeZag
03-07-2017, 10:00 PM
I know Perk got away with a bump on the baseline that resulted in a TO for SMC. Refs rewarded clean, hard play. Dumb fouls, like several committed by Zach Collins, got a quick whistle. Overall, they let em play which allows for superior talent and execution to prevail, as it should.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2017, 04:35 AM
They at least called the moving screens... both ways. Game was well officiated in my opinion. Couple times I thought they had some questionable ones... but replays usually proved them right.

TexasZag
03-08-2017, 04:42 AM
Calling basketball games is tough, especially for the little guys. About 15 years ago I once got thrown into the fray at a YMCA game (official walked off of the floor). It was a nightmare. One minute seemed to last an hour. I couldn't call everything I saw because we'd still be there today. It was the one experience I've had with basketball that I have no intentions of ever repeating, regardless of the level. I kind of feel for the officials.

madness
03-08-2017, 08:51 AM
That crew is one of the best on the West Coast. I believe two of them have worked a Final Four.

Unfortunately the rest of their compatriots are not.

zaguarxj
03-08-2017, 11:31 AM
I know Perk got away with a bump on the baseline that resulted in a TO for SMC. Refs rewarded clean, hard play.

Immediately after that, an SMC player got away with a similar bump that resulted in a Zag TO. At first I was mad, then I thought "ok, fair enough..."

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Immediately after that, an SMC player got away with a similar bump that resulted in a Zag TO. At first I was mad, then I thought "ok, fair enough..."

Williams, on the other end. Perkins was a bit more, 'oh. Thats a foul right there.'

Zagricultural
03-08-2017, 11:36 AM
It was definitely a better officiated game than most of the conference games. Kudos to the crew for not making the championship game all about them.

DixieZag
03-08-2017, 11:36 AM
I thought that a couple of the fouls on Landale were soft fouls that could have been let go - at least it looked that way. Of course, the same can be said of Collins.

zaguarxj
03-08-2017, 11:39 AM
I thought that a couple of the fouls on Landale were soft fouls that could have been let go - at least it looked that way. Of course, the same can be said of Collins.

Collins had 4 fouls with 7 minutes of PT!

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2017, 11:43 AM

Which is, in my opinion, why he needs some seasoning. Almost all are playing freshman bigs have that trouble over the years. Sabonis, Karno, etc. Second year was much, much better...

MontanaCoyote
03-08-2017, 11:49 AM

All things considered, was this a blessing in disguise given the game Karno played? The big guy played 35 minutes and I think he was worth every minute of it. Most minutes all season and he answered the call.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2017, 06:03 PM
All things considered, was this a blessing in disguise given the game Karno played? The big guy played 35 minutes and I think he was worth every minute of it. Most minutes all season and he answered the call.

He was awesome. He was pointing to spots on the floor and directing traffic. As detached as he looked against Santa Clara was how laser focused he looked against SMC. The block from behind on the fast break was pretty cool.

willandi
03-08-2017, 08:33 PM
They at least called the moving screens... both ways. Game was well officiated in my opinion. Couple times I thought they had some questionable ones... but replays usually proved them right.

I saw most of the high screens they set, and the big rolling to the basket with the defender trapped in front of him. They weren't as blatant as Collins attempt, but were moving screens nonetheless...at least in my eyes, and I pointed it out to the wife. Maybe not as bad as some games, but still.