PDA

View Full Version : SMC: They in?....

hooter73
03-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Im not a fan of yours...

Now go absolutely kick some butt in the Tournament.

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Bennett's flyby's are just dumb.

MTZag03
03-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Bennett's a good coach. Landale's a good player. They will take it to a middling Power 5 school. I'd love to see that.

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Hopefully they go to national title and get killed by us again.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Im not a fan of yours...

Now go absolutely kick some butt in the Tournament.

Not sold they are clearly in. Power 5 upsets could make it tough or drop them way down to 8/9

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-07-2017, 07:08 PM
They look like a Sweet Sixteen team to me. I hope they do it.

MJ777
03-07-2017, 07:14 PM
They look like a Sweet Sixteen team to me. I hope they do it.

And hopefully when they do lose Bennett will shake the opposing coaches hand and stop for a few seconds to congratulate the other coach. Did Few steal his lunch money when they were kids?

GonzaGAW
03-07-2017, 07:17 PM
agree with sentiments............good luck gael's in the tourney, and some are just poor losers (Bennett).

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2017, 07:17 PM
I would like to think the the Champ game does it. But man, got some losing record Big5's that deserve a chance to.

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Shoot they've been in for a long time.

Lunardi has them as a 6. No six seed will drop from 6 to out.

sittingon50
03-07-2017, 07:20 PM
They present a lot of problems for that 2nd day turnaround. Hope they get a good draw in Sacto & win a couple.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 07:20 PM

May drop to 8/9 game

jpn17
03-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Lunardi has Saint Mary's as a 6, but others have had them lower. My thought is I hope so, and I feel better about SMC getting in this year compared to last, that said I don't think it is a guarantee by any means.

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 07:22 PM
They better be.

They've lost 3 games to a top 5 team, other than that 1 loss.

I just hope they can hold to a 7, they can beat a 2, doubt a 1

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:23 PM
May drop to 8/9 game

They could drop to 8-9 but 8-9 is still clearly in the tournament. Bubble teams are 10-11

Outraged
03-07-2017, 07:25 PM
After last year having a decent rpi you have to wonder. But yes they should be in and could go a little distance.

bartruff1
03-07-2017, 07:25 PM
I think they had to get to the Championship game....and they did....that second half comeback might have been necessary....depending on what others do they could lose a seed or two.. they will have to beat a elite team to advance to the second weekend...

Once and Future Zag
03-07-2017, 07:26 PM
#13 KenPom (after the WCC championship game) - that shows up on the resume that the committee gets.

ZagOD7540
03-07-2017, 07:29 PM
They better be.

They've lost 3 games to a top 5 team, other than that 1 loss.

I just hope they can hold to a 7, they can beat a 2, doubt a 1

Why root for them? Did you see Bennett blow by Few. That's a bush league move. No recognition of what Zags have done and what they accomplished tonight. Grow up Bennett

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2017, 07:29 PM
#13 KenPom (at the moment) - that shows up on the resume that the committee gets.

I was under impression that the 'metrics' stuff was next year and mostly rpi this year. Which I think they are good there. But they are really hitting wins... they have none, really. Nevada and Stanford? Maybe someone else?

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:30 PM
I was under impression that the 'metrics' stuff was next year and mostly rpi this year. Which I think they are good there. But they are really hitting wins... they have none, really. Nevada and Stanford? Maybe someone else?

Dayton @Dayton

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Only two wins against top 50 competition and one of those likely not in tournament

Ouch

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Dayton @Dayton

That's precisely the issue

Single win, early in December. Not whole lot of meat on the plate

And blown out all 3 games against us

Leaves a reasonable person to compare them to a power 5 mid level and wonder if they can win

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Only one team has ever been left out when in top 25. That was SMU, but they lost in their first round of conference tournament to a terrible team AND had a 300+ Non conference SOS.

SMC doesn't fall under any of that. Safely in

hooter73
03-07-2017, 07:36 PM
"The committee is pretty clear, you have to go play some people." - Mark Few

ZagOD7540
Buy a "set of balls" Mary and play somebody

DixieZag
I think they'll destroy some P5 middling b/c that middling will look right past them, thinking they got the break of the century, and then they'll scare the living hell out of a 2 seed (hopefully a 7 seed) or play well against a 1

MJ777
I'm predicting a 7 Seed and a Randy Blow by after each game they play. Will he do those quick interviews during halftime of games?

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:37 PM
You know what's really funny? Syracuse this supposedly great team has TWO wins away from home. Two. No team has ever gotten selected without three wins away from home. St. Mary's clearly passes there too

gobroncsgozags
03-07-2017, 07:40 PM
I hope not (though that might hurt the Zags seeding) but I am sure they are in.

Zag365
The Gaels will rep the WCC well. Hope they can get to S16.

ZagOD7540
Whoever they face will call Coach Few and he will tell them to just smother their pick and roll. Hopefully Few sends his scouting report to whoever they match up against...especially after the "blow by" handshake!!

ZagsObserver
03-07-2017, 07:41 PM
They're in. Probably a 7 seed, but could be in the dreaded 8/9 game. Zags could see them in the second round.

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Why root for them? Did you see Bennett blow by Few. That's a bush league move. No recognition of what Zags have done and what they accomplished tonight. Grow up Bennett

Because I respect their players - a lot. That team has had more "good guys" than any other team in the league other than us. I respect that.

It's why it's frustrating to see him schedule the way he does, b/c his kids deserve the chance to knock someone off.

And other than those two things, the blow-by and the scheduling, he seems like an ok guy. But, mostly respect the players.

Recognition that the WCC deserves 2 teams is also good, and the $$ doesn't hurt.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Hey SMC....your players have more class than your coach.

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:44 PM
They're in. Probably a 7 seed, but could be in the dreaded 8/9 game. Zags could see them in the second round.

Bracketing procedures don't allow teams from same conference to play before the sweet sixteen (unless absolutely all possibilities are exhausted like the ACC could have some problems with that like the big east did in 2011)

We thankfully won't have to see that

ZagOD7540
Hey SMC....your players have more class than your coach.

Nailed it!

Hoopaholic
I think they'll destroy some P5 middling b/c that middling will look right past them, thinking they got the break of the century, and then they'll scare the living hell out of a 2 seed (hopefully a 7 seed) or play well against a 1

Don't think so

Athletic or strong big with decent defensive guards they are done unless the hit a really high hit streak with three ball

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Because I respect their players - a lot. That team has had more "good guys" than any other team in the league other than us. I respect that.

It's why it's frustrating to see him schedule the way he does, b/c his kids deserve the chance to knock someone off.

And other than those two things, the blow-by and the scheduling, he seems like an ok guy. But, mostly respect the players.

Recognition that the WCC deserves 2 teams is also good, and the $$ doesn't hurt.

Winner.

I ROOT for them because I want more respect for the WCC. It's obvious we aren't leaving, but better recruits, money and everything else come when as many teams in same conference do better.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 07:45 PM
They lost three times to a team that lost 1 game all year and who is a fav to win the national title. There only other loss was to an Arlington team where they just played terrible for 8 minutes. Arlington beat Texas. It's a much better loss than some bubble team who lost to friggin' Missouri. SMC a single digit seed team. Hopefully they stay out of the 8/9 game, but I fear for the worst.

bartruff1
03-07-2017, 07:51 PM
My second favorite team in the WCC...really enjoy watching them play as a team and they have some very skilled players...but they are going to have to play a very accomplished and athletic team in the second round...I think they should have been in last year.

Randy is a terrific coach and his blow byes don't bother me a bit...

willandi
03-07-2017, 07:53 PM
It just seems like if they have to ask "Are you in"? you're coming up a little short!

sideshow06
03-07-2017, 07:54 PM
I would like to think the the Champ game does it. But man, got some losing record Big5's that deserve a chance to.

You're kidding, right?

Plainsman
03-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Don't think so

Athletic or strong big with decent defensive guards they are done unless the hit a really high hit streak with three ball

Agree. Harass their guards mercilessly like we did most of the night and hold the big guy to low scoring numbers and the Gaels will be done.

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2017, 07:56 PM
You're kidding, right?

The big5 line, yah. Come on, Clemson has to play Duke!

But the greater question? Serious. I would think they are in. It's a good team but as others have pointed out, the wins are underwhelming. Look at last year.

willandi
03-07-2017, 07:56 PM
I wonder if Lansdale has some Jock 'itch'?

Dirt McGirt
03-07-2017, 07:59 PM
If I'm SMC I'm sweating a little on Sunday. I think they needed to prove that they belong on the same court as a team like Gonzaga. The second half showed they can play with a lot of teams that do make the tournament but a lot of decision makers will likely only see the almost 20 point final score difference.

jpn17
03-07-2017, 08:07 PM
You know what's really funny? Syracuse this supposedly great team has TWO wins away from home. Two. No team has ever gotten selected without three wins away from home. St. Mary's clearly passes there too

That's a stat that you won't hear any of the talking heads bring up because it's Syracuse. No one will bat an eye if the Orange get into the tournament even if they don't really deserve it. But if it was SMC that this was true for, the talking heads would be all over it.

john montana
03-07-2017, 08:17 PM
They should be in, but certainly didn't help their cause with the schedule. I think they are a really good team.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Syracuse has a wonderful road record.

demian
03-07-2017, 08:22 PM
I can't stand St. Mary's basketball or there coach or any player that has ever played for them. I hope they do not make it into the NCAA tournament. I couldn't care less what happens to them in post season. I only watched them three times this season and that was the three GU games but to my eyes I did not see a NCAA tourney caliber team. They look very mediocre in the three games vs GU. Had a nice second half run in tonight's game and still lost by almost 20. They thought they should have been in tourney last year and then went to Valparaiso in NIT and played one of the most pathetic games I have ever watched when they scored 13 whole points in the second half of that game to lose to Valpo.

sittingon50
03-07-2017, 08:42 PM
If I'm SMC I'm sweating a little on Sunday. I think they needed to prove that they belong on the same court as a team like Gonzaga. The second half showed they can play with a lot of teams that do make the tournament but a lot of decision makers will likely only see the almost 20 point final score difference.

Don't know about the rest of you guys, but really happy to see that Dirt has said "hell no" to those witness protection people & come out of hiding the last few days.

northsidezagfan
03-07-2017, 08:53 PM
I hope they miss the tournament

JPtheBeasta
03-07-2017, 08:59 PM
They present a lot of problems for that 2nd day turnaround. Hope they get a good draw in Sacto & win a couple.
Defending the pick and roll stuff looks like a nightmare.

whatazag
03-07-2017, 09:03 PM
I think they are in but don't believe they will get the 6 or 7 seed a lot of sites are projecting. I would be an 8/9 seed but I think they'd be better off getting a 10 or 11, they can certainly beat a 6/7 seed and have that better route to the S16.

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Don't think so

I think you missed the part about the middling team "will look right past them". It plays a huge role in that "bigger stronger faster" thing. One could easily say the same thing about us, at least in all those first games when we went up against a higher seed, and we near always won that game against the middling P5 team.

caduceus
03-07-2017, 09:24 PM
It's my understanding that this year's committee is essentially unchanged from last year. The one that screwed SMC big time last year, and several other mid-majors. I will be shocked if, despite SMC getting in, they don't have one or more of: crappy underseeding, crappy location placement, and/or crappy team mismatch in their bracket.

Similarly, I can also pretty much guarantee that the Zags will receive similar "consideration" from same committee. One seed? Probably. Easy path? Don't count on it in any way. We'll be lined up early against traditional powers/blue bloods with lesser records that dominate in March, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we end up in some geographic disadvantage (with a large contingent of traveling fanbase) by the second weekend.

Best record in all of division I, a single loss, won conference AND their tourney. Best in KenPom, BPI, and most other statistical rating systems, and...the grand prize will be weakest one-seed and all the trimmings that come with it.

I don't doubt it for a minute.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 09:32 PM
I think you missed the part about the middling team "will look right past them". It plays a huge role in that "bigger stronger faster" thing. One could easily say the same thing about us, at least in all those first games when we went up against a higher seed, and we near always won that game against the middling P5 team.

Didn't look past it. Just disagree that will be as big factor as you appear to believe it will

ProVeeZag
03-07-2017, 09:55 PM
It's my understanding that this year's committee is essentially unchanged from last year. The one that screwed SMC big time last year, and several other mid-majors. I will be shocked if, despite SMC getting in, they don't have one or more of: crappy underseeding, crappy location placement, and/or crappy team mismatch in their bracket.

I'm with you on this, SMC gets in but receives no favors beyond that. Maybe a couple of Committee members don't care for the Bennett BlowBye either. That kind of stuff gets noticed by people, especially people in power.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-07-2017, 10:04 PM

..I guess part of me wants 2 teams from the WCC in the Sweet 16 and maybe even the Elite 8 just to shut up some of the morons talking about the Zags schedule and conference

sittingon50
03-07-2017, 10:15 PM
Pumping more $ into the WCC members coffers is a good thing. I sense (perhaps incorrectly) that more of the member schools are directing that money to their basketball programs.

Zags11
03-07-2017, 10:47 PM
Gaels team is pretty darn good. Randy is a ass hat.

Zags11
03-07-2017, 11:09 PM
Smc will be #11 seed

ZagaZags
03-07-2017, 11:23 PM
Randy Bennett after the game.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/94082265fdd848df1c54b532f453b5bc/tumblr_inline_n0qnhwbhED1qa7k0a.gif

Zags11
03-07-2017, 11:24 PM

https://31.media.tumblr.com/94082265fdd848df1c54b532f453b5bc/tumblr_inline_n0qnhwbhED1qa7k0a.gif

Lmaooooo

GrizZAG
03-08-2017, 01:49 AM
What does Bennett's behavior teach young athletes? His AD should kick his butt for such poor sportsmanship. He wouldn't even make eye contact as he blew by.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2017, 04:28 AM

Not me. That would cost the conference about $1 million. I'd rather they get in and that they advance.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2017, 04:41 AM

And hurt some great kids? In addition to $ for the wcc.

gonzagafan62
03-08-2017, 04:47 AM
Smc will be #11 seed

Nah. Way higher than that

TexasZagFan
03-08-2017, 05:09 AM
Buy a "set of balls" Mary and play somebody

Good use for the $300+K they get from the NCAA (courtesy of you know who)

SteelCityZag
03-08-2017, 05:36 AM
The Gaels are in, no question in my mind.

However, it does seem that they have but themselves in the precarious position of being the Selection Committee's Mid-Major "Sacrificial Lamb." By that, I mean that in many years, the Committee with pit a higher ranked and vaunted mid-major against a lower ranked, lower seeded, Power 5 school that seems to be coming on strong or simply has underperformed in some conference games. I feel this strategy bolsters the Committee and National Pundit's arguments for including more middling Power 5 teams, because they can point to these examples of a highly ranked mid-major losing to a rising big conference team and say "Well, we did this against St. Mary's, and Team X, and look what happened. Small conference leaders and high rankings don't mean as much as playing game-in, game-out in a battle-tested ACC, Big 12, etc."

This may be a conspiracy theory of my own creation, but I've seen the narrative before. We should be rooting for St. Mary's and other teams from so-called mid-major conferences against anyone except ourselves.

BoZarth
03-08-2017, 06:02 AM

However, it does seem that they have but themselves in the precarious position of being the Selection Committee's Mid-Major "Sacrificial Lamb." By that, I mean that in many years, the Committee with pit a higher ranked and vaunted mid-major against a lower ranked, lower seeded, Power 5 school that seems to be coming on strong or simply has underperformed in some conference games. I feel this strategy bolsters the Committee and National Pundit's arguments for including more middling Power 5 teams, because they can point to these examples of a highly ranked mid-major losing to a rising big conference team and say "Well, we did this against St. Mary's, and Team X, and look what happened. Small conference leaders and high rankings don't mean as much as playing game-in, game-out in a battle-tested ACC, Big 12, etc."

This may be a conspiracy theory of my own creation, but I've seen the narrative before. We should be rooting for St. Mary's and other teams from so-called mid-major conferences against anyone except ourselves.

Agreed.

Gonzdb8
03-08-2017, 06:03 AM

i'm agree - this is a conspiracy theory of your own creation. when mid majors get left out its generally because they didn't play anyone, much like SMC this year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc., etc. if they want leave nothing to doubt they need to go on the road and beat some decent teams. if they do that, and still get snubbed, then maybe i'll get on board with the "committee has it out for smc" crowd. until then, they should be thanking their stars if they get in with such a poor resume. if i'm the committee i'd leave them out soley based on their refusal to learn from last years snub. the committee was telling them to go play someone...smc ignored that advice. if they don't make the cut its not the committees fault, its theirs.

northsidezagfan
03-08-2017, 06:27 AM
And hurt some great kids? In addition to $ for the wcc.

Hurt??? What? I know we millennials are soft but come on.

And I think it's pretty obvious nothing is changing in this conference, a few bucks isn't going to make a difference.

bartruff1
03-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Don't think so

In a nutshell ...

Zagsker
03-08-2017, 06:34 AM

Awesome

Zagsker
03-08-2017, 06:35 AM
And hurt some great kids?....

Everyone should get in or at minimum a hug and tell them how special they are

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2017, 06:41 AM
Everyone should get in or at minimum a hug and tell them how special they are

People complain about the WCC not getting better.... then see more than happy to hope for money that could go toward that cause not be realized.

That is a real head scratcher.

Outside of Randy and his antics, this team isn't full of Samhans... they are all tough competitors that played the game cleanly and gave GU their best shot.

Seriously, I really don't get this at all.

So... a team that is one of the best defensive teams in the country getting into the NCAA Tourney is like them getting a participation trophy???? Really?

SteelCityZag
03-08-2017, 06:44 AM
i'm agree - this is a conspiracy theory of your own creation. when mid majors get left out its generally because they didn't play anyone, much like SMC this year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc., etc. if they want leave nothing to doubt they need to go on the road and beat some decent teams. if they do that, and still get snubbed, then maybe i'll get on board with the "committee has it out for smc" crowd. until then, they should be thanking their stars if they get in with such a poor resume. if i'm the committee i'd leave them out soley based on their refusal to learn from last years snub. the committee was telling them to go play someone...smc ignored that advice. if they don't make the cut its not the committees fault, its theirs.

Actually, I'm going to go ahead and agree with you. You don't play anyone, you get snubbed. And it's not anyone's fault except your own.

I was thinking more along the lines of just who the mid-major team gets slotted to play, being clearly in the tourney. Not snubbed, just kinda screwed.

Zagsker
03-08-2017, 06:49 AM
People complain about the WCC not getting better.... then see more than happy to hope for money that could go toward that cause not be realized.

That is a real head scratcher.

Outside of Randy and his antics, this team isn't full of Samhans... they are all tough competitors that played the game cleanly and gave GU their best shot.

Seriously, I really don't get this at all.

So... a team that is one of the best defensive teams in the country getting into the NCAA Tourney is like them getting a participation trophy???? Really?

Guilty by association (RB)?...I kid

Honestly, I hope they get in...just don't think any part of the reasoning by some fans should be because they have "great kids" and we don't want to "hurt them" (whatever that means)

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2017, 06:54 AM

Honestly, I hope they get in...just don't think any part of the reasoning by some fans should be because they have "great kids" and we don't want to "hurt them" (whatever that means)

Listen, I rarely agree with jazz... and you KNOW he doesn't pull punches with players in terms of being critical... but he is dead on right here. Those kids (Rahon looks like he is 35, but he is a kid too) have worked hard the last 2 years and got screwed last year. So yeah, if they get screwed again... it WILL hurt them. They aren't inanimate objects.

vandalzag
03-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Listen, I rarely agree with jazz... and you KNOW he doesn't pull punches with players in terms of being critical... but he is dead on right here. Those kids (Rahon looks like he is 35, but he is a kid too) have worked hard the last 2 years and got screwed last year. So yeah, if they get screwed again... it WILL hurt them. They aren't inanimate objects.

Agreed. SMC has earned the spot. Last year they were good enough. My only qualm with them is putting themselves in a position to be doubted with their crap non-conference scheduling. After being snubbed multiple times you would think he would learn and change his scheduling. Especially with this team. Having a top 20 team and hiding it in California does nothing for the WCC and it's reputation nationally, which in turn harms GU. The kids are good and play the game right, it is a shame the program has not taken the correct steps to grow.

hooter73
03-08-2017, 07:14 AM
They are a team that can be shut down, or win two games. Kind of a coin flip... if they get in. They've won a lot this year but not against the type of teams you get in the tournament.

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Agreed. SMC has earned the spot. Last year they were good enough. My only qualm with them is putting themselves in a position to be doubted with their crap non-conference scheduling. After being snubbed multiple times you would think he would learn and change his scheduling. Especially with this team. Having a top 20 team and hiding it in California does nothing for the WCC and it's reputation nationally, which in turn harms GU. The kids are good and play the game right, it is a shame the program has not taken the correct steps to grow.

Sanctions on the program hurt them with this. Kept them out of OOC tourneys that could have gotten them good matchups.

john montana
03-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Can't blame sanctions for the Bennett scheduling philosophy...stay home as much as possible and wrack up a nice win count. I don't believe for a second that SMC has trouble getting games...i do believe they have trouble getting good teams in Moraga, but if they wanted to play a tougher schedule I believe they could.

I still think they get in and they should. Great basketball team in my opinion.

vandalzag
03-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Sanctions on the program hurt them with this. Kept them out of OOC tourneys that could have gotten them good matchups.

Yes it had an impact. But I believe(I could be wrong) he took the stance that SMC was a level where they could demand home and home games from the bigger programs and would not schedule without it. Sanctions also did not limit travel to the state of California. There GU has the name and still schedules aggressively. SMC refuses to do it and it hurts their program and the WCC.

23dpg
03-08-2017, 07:51 AM
I like SMC and root for them every game except for Gonzaga. What Randy Bennett has done is amazing.
Good luck in the tourney!

DixieZag
03-08-2017, 08:12 AM

I can speak only for me, my reasoning with "great kids" is that they are, compare to the many that have come through BYU (excepting Collinsworth) that are whiny, knife fighting in the lane, prima donas. I look at SMC and see a lot of players that would fit right in the Zag culture that Few builds so well.

As far as it "hurts them" - it's because they have no control of their schedule. One can validly say that Randy is responsible for being left out, knowing exactly why they are left out and doing nothing. The kids have nothing to do with that aspect, and so I consider it a real blow to them.

They aren't the ones making $750K a year (possibly one reason Randy schedules such cupcakes, keep his value way up), they have 4 years under the bright lights and to see 2 that are earned but denied angers me on their behalf.

Coach Crazy
03-08-2017, 08:20 AM
I don't have a problem with what Randy did. We kicked the stuffing out of them. I'm ok with him having that one thing, because we've taken everything else away.

If he left SMC this year, you could argue that this team was his magnum opus. And he lost all 3 games to Gonzaga by a average of 17 points per contest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2017, 08:20 AM
I highly suspect that Randy felt this year, with GU returning 1 starter, that SMC had a chance for the regular season WCC and perhaps the WCC Tourney championship and that would get you in. So maybe he scheduled light. The home and homes are non-starters. Not enough money to be made. Indiana comes to GU on a Sat in Dec? It'll be on ESPN or CBS or something. Same thing going the other way. I just don't see how, if you are a top 3-4 Big5 school year in and year out, you come to SMC to play in front of 3k.

And the sanctions kept them out of the mini-tourneys, correct? So that just compounded the issue.

Zags11
03-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Nah. Way higher than that

You think way higher? Like 6-7?

gonzagafan62
03-08-2017, 08:57 AM
You think way higher? Like 6-7?

I see them as 7-9. Probably a 7 but wouldn't be surprised if they got screwed to a 9

TexasZagFan
03-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Not me. That would cost the conference about $1 million. I'd rather they get in and that they advance.

Each game is worth about $1.6 million, spread over 6 years.

Based on my calculations (with incomplete info, of course), a good run in the Dance (2 teams, six games), the WCC would be getting the following:

2016: $6.4 million
2017: $5.9 million
2018: $6.9 million
2019: $7.5 million

BYU's our best chance now for a 3 bid conference. Multiple bids is where you make the money.

Zags11
03-08-2017, 09:11 AM
I see them as 7-9. Probably a 7 but wouldn't be surprised if they got screwed to a 9

I am just going with committee being jerks to wcc and smc schedule being a cream puff. And that's why I said 11. I'll prob be wrong.

Mr Vulture
03-08-2017, 10:04 AM
The bubble is horribly weak this year so there is no way that Saint Marys isn't going to get in. I spent more time today trying to find the final six teams that deserved to be in more than those that clearly are in. I would be very surprised if Saint Marys is lower than a 7 seed to be honest. By the way, I could care less about Randy Bennett....I root for conference teams in the post season as it only can help us. Not to mention that I find the kids on Saint Marys this year to be very sportsmanlike.

maynard g krebs
03-08-2017, 11:02 AM
They'll probably get put in the 8-9 game v Wichita or maybe Dayton.

Mr Vulture
03-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Wichita State will be no worse than a 7 seed and probably a 5 or 6 seed.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Rahon went to Torrey Pines hs about a mile up the road and is a super kid. And yes, other than RB, SMC is very much gonzaga light. Certainly a throwback in style and demeanor to GU teams of a decade or so ago.

Zagger
03-08-2017, 12:50 PM
I hope they make it to at least the S16 and we the F4. The WCC could use the boost to rep.

I don't get the Bennett thing. Maybe he feels that if anyone was going to beat the Zags from the WCC it ought to have been SMC. I sure feel that way - in that I don't care that much for BYU. Having sat with their student section during our Monday's game I grew to dislike them even more. Individually they were cordial. As a group ..... I'm glad they got pasted by SMC. I got my licks in on the SMC/BYU game. By then I was sitting across the isle from their stu section. Whenever they missed the basket I yelled out "Hair Ball". Once they got far enough behind SMC I quit the needling. Here's a shot of one of the BYU signs. Funny/clever but .... they were standing up showing it off constantly during the Zags/SC game. Hence, my "Hair Ball" during their game. I'm not real proud of stooping to their tactics but .... they could tone it down and be more effective. I could care less if they stayed in the WCC.

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/BYUsign.jpg

MDABE80
03-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Burn that sign in infamy!!

Zagger
03-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Burn that sign in infamy!!

This better? .......

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/burnSign.png

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2017, 01:29 PM
I got a feeling that BYU did GU a favor....