PDA

View Full Version : Randy, come on man....

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 06:58 PM
The blow-bye - last game of the WCC season. He's in the tourney. Blow bye when Few obviously wanted to just slow him down.

Come on, Randy! You're great, nothing to be ashamed of.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 07:00 PM
The blow-bye - last game of the WCC season. He's in the tourney. Blow bye when Few obviously wanted to just slow him down.

Not sold he's in tourney and that is on his and his players minds

But no excuse for classless action

Jakester425
03-07-2017, 07:01 PM

######...Bag.

ZagsObserver
03-07-2017, 07:02 PM
He does it often. To Few, to Rose, etc. don't make excuses for him. Classless, unfortunately.

Zag4Hire
03-07-2017, 07:05 PM
The most consistent and reliable performance is the Bennet Blow-By. He practices it regularly and knew when he just a little pup in Mesa, AZ, he thought, "One day, I am not just going to be a coach of the ultimate WCC sidekick team but I am going to blow-by with such consistency and form when the opposing superhero coach attempts to shake my hand that people will remark about it for years to come." He practiced for years: in his classroom, on the school yard, in the downtown area, etc. Rumor has it he practiced so much, he had to wear a glove to prevent any injury from occurring. There is also currently an ESPN 30-for-30 in production, "Fast and Furious: The Randy Bennett Handshake Story".

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Unfortunately I don't think I'd be too happy either if I couldn't beat a team I don't like. Must be frustrating to lose to us

whatazag
03-07-2017, 07:07 PM
He's a great coach, but this is his job, how about being a professional? Can't believe their administration hasn't "advised" him its not a good look.

Goshzagit
03-07-2017, 07:08 PM
That was the worst blow by yet! Even Few had to do a double take, & he's used to it...

He didnt even make contact this time, actually tried to avoid him.

I've always found his hand shakes post losses humerous until tonight. Just petty and childish.

Meanwhile he double grips Coach Fews hand when they win...terrible.

ZagOD7540
03-07-2017, 07:09 PM
He has absolutely no class. What an absolute d-bag! Few would never pull that move.

katman50
03-07-2017, 07:10 PM
I still like Randy. Am used the so called "blow by". He's an intense coach. Just the way he is wired. Just glad we won.

jazzdelmar
03-07-2017, 07:11 PM
He's a friend, but sorry Randy that's an embarrassment.

MontanaCoyote
03-07-2017, 07:14 PM
He has absolutely no class. What an absolute d-bag! Few would never pull that move.

It was bad enough to merit an apology. Doubt it though.

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 07:14 PM
I still like Randy. Am used the so called "blow by". He's an intense coach. Just the way he is wired. Just glad we won.

THAT's the thing. I like him, too. His teams play hard but don't do the hacksaw stuff other teams do and I respect that a lot. I just can't respect Rose anymore b/c his team is one you just fear injury - b/c that's who they are.

This team, so many good kids, so much talent, play so hard ....I was really hoping that he'd just set aside the frustration for just a moment. Fail.

MDABE80
03-07-2017, 07:15 PM
It's become one of those spectacle you wait for. He never disappoints. I'd be a bit crestfallen too. All these losses to the Zags. That damndable BYU game!!

jazzdelmar
03-07-2017, 07:17 PM
I don't think anyone here realizes his professional dislike for GU. Still, no excuse. Great kids.

Ezag
03-07-2017, 07:20 PM
That's nothing and he does that every single game against the zags

Outraged
03-07-2017, 07:21 PM
The blo by is valiation of good things to come. I always look forward to it. It just means he has to clean his shorts.

RenoZag
03-07-2017, 07:21 PM
The Bennett Blow-By never gets old. . .when it happens, it means the Gaels are LOSERS once again. . .

gonzagafan62
03-07-2017, 07:22 PM
The Bennett Blow-By never gets old. . .when it happens, it means the Gaels are LOSERS once again. . .

Hahahahahahahhaha so true! How sweet it is!

Bocco
03-07-2017, 07:22 PM
blow by doesn't bother me in the least, he's a great coach and all credit to Randy and the Gaels they could have quit at the half and they came out and made a game of it.....

ZagOD7540
03-07-2017, 07:23 PM
It was bad enough to merit an apology. Doubt it though.

Few had to do a "double take". Kind of like "Did he just do that?" I hope there are a ton of tourney upsets for the automatic bids and for some reason they get left out! Wishful thinking??

katman50
03-07-2017, 07:24 PM
I'd be a bit crestfallen too. All these losses to the Zags.

That's it, in a nutshell!

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 07:24 PM
I don't think anyone here realizes his professional dislike for GU. Still, no excuse. Great kids.

Kind of weird thing. Seems like a good guy, I like him. But the thing is, he's respected by "us" - meaning staff/players/fans.

So, even though huge frustration, don't get the dislike, not when they're totally respected.

Oh well. It doesn't make me dislike him, but it is old.

sideshow06
03-07-2017, 07:25 PM
I don't get your obsession with Bennett's handshake style. He does it to everyone, win or lose. He's socially awkward. Doesn't mean it's disrespect. I watch him and Few shoot the sh-- before games all the time. Why is this such a big deal to you guys? You want hugs and kisses? Lol.

gonzagafan62
THAT's the thing. I like him, too. His teams play hard but don't do the hacksaw stuff other teams do and I respect that a lot. I just can't respect Rose anymore b/c his team is one you just fear injury - b/c that's who they are.

This team, so many good kids, so much talent, play so hard ....I was really hoping that he'd just set aside the frustration for just a moment. Fail.

100% Dixie. Good points. I also like randy a lot.

maynard g krebs
blow by doesn't bother me in the least, he's a great coach and all credit to Randy and the Gaels they could have quit at the half and they came out and made a game of it.....

Same.

Hoopaholic
I don't get your obsession with Bennett's handshake style. He does it to everyone, win or lose. I watch him and Few shoot the sh-- before games all the time. Why is this such a big deal to you guys? You want hugs and kisses? Lol.

Basic sportsmanship should be expected especially at the top

sideshow06
03-07-2017, 07:30 PM
I'd get your point it if he wanted to chat and chum it up when he wins but just blows by all cranky in losses. Doesn't have anything to do with sportsmanship.

ZagOD7540
03-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Basic sportsmanship should be expected especially at the top

I'm with you! Show some appreciation to your competition

MJ777
03-07-2017, 07:32 PM
I don't get your obsession with Bennett's handshake style. He does it to everyone, win or lose. He's socially awkward. Doesn't mean it's disrespect. I watch him and Few shoot the sh-- before games all the time. Why is this such a big deal to you guys? You want hugs and kisses? Lol.

There must be some kind of online sportsmanship course he can take to improve. How did he land a D1 job being so socially awkward?

CDC84
03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/monmouth-iona-fight-video-jordan-washington-handshake-lines/1aeerbv77huifz66iqg6puubd

Which is one more good reason for the handshake line to be banished to history along with peach baskets and canvas sneakers.

Unlike those items, which were state of the art at the time, the handshake line always has been a phony contrivance done for the benefit of television cameras. It is as real as the “love” you might see on The Bachelor. It has nothing to do with sportsmanship.

Sportsmanship is not blowing through, going through the motions of shaking the opposing coach’s hand. Do you know how much the losing coach in that line is hoping the winning coach doesn’t stop him to say something more than “good job?”

There is a particular coach whom others in the business scorn for his insistence on always needing to magnanimously present a short lecture to the poor losing coach. If all the losing coach is looking for is a quick path to the exit after defeat, he’s not being a sportsman by going through the handshake line. He’s fulfilling a mandate.

There are lots of people in the media who love postgame handshakes. You know why? Because when they don’t happen, or don’t happen properly, they’re a huge story. They’re an excuse to abandon the routine accounting of the game that was contested and instead fixate on the unusual.

Here’s the thing: Sportsmanship is not the show one stages after the game. It’s what goes on inside the competition as it happens.

It is not sportsmanlike to attempt to injure another player, and certainly not to endeavor to disguise that attempt as a legitimate competitive act.

It is not sportsmanlike to exaggerate an injury to draw a punishment against an opponent, as in soccer, nor to exaggerate the effect of contact to elicit a foul call against the opponent, as in basketball.

I saw one college basketball player this week slap himself in the chest and scream like he’d performed some sort of tough-guy heroics. And what had he done? By throwing his body backward with force and velocity after an opponent gently brushed his shoulder, he’d tricked a ref into calling a charge against that opponent.

A little less than two hours later, his team lost.

I’m sure he was in that handshake line, though.

zagcheer78
03-07-2017, 07:37 PM
He's a great coach, but this is his job, how about being a professional? Can't believe their administration hasn't "advised" him its not a good look.

St. Mary's hasn't had a great track record, lately, of standing up to confront a lack of "classiness" in various areas of their school.

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 07:38 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/monmouth-iona-fight-video-jordan-washington-handshake-lines/1aeerbv77huifz66iqg6puubd

Totally disagree. You see warriors in rivalries stop and chat and give a big handshake, hug - see it all the time and it's good.

ZagsObserver
03-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Who said he wasn't a great coach? You can be a great coach (performance-wise) and an unsportsmanlike tool.

sideshow06
03-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Exactly CDC84.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 07:42 PM

Part of societal issue imo

Poor sportsmanship leads to a lack of respect for the game that leads to a lack of respect for the rules that leads to cheating

Oh wait SMC got caught cheating. Hmmm

sideshow06
03-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Again, I see Few and Bennett chatting it up before the game all the time when the cameras aren't on them. It's not about sportsmanship.

MJ777
03-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Again, I see Few and Bennett chatting it up before the game all the time when the cameras aren't on them. It's not about sportsmanship.

Okay, but it would sure look better if he could slow down a little. His players and the other coaches on SMC could show him how to do it. I'll be rooting for them them in the tourney.

sittingon50
03-07-2017, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=sideshow06;1296092]I don't get your obsession with Bennett's handshake style. He does it to everyone, win or lose. He's socially awkward. Doesn't mean it's disrespect. I watch him and Few shoot the sh-- before games all the time.

All points pretty accurate.

sideshow06
03-07-2017, 07:47 PM
But then you guys wouldn't have anything to complain about after the game.

amaronizag
03-07-2017, 07:47 PM
I think Randy's a great coach. Period. Some people get the adrenaline flowing and are all pumped up and it's hard to come down from that. It affects all people differently. I give him a pass on that. He blew by Few and said "good game Mark" when Few obviously wanted a moment to get warm and fuzzy, but that's not Randy. Even after a win he blows by. But he NEVER has anything but positive things to say about Mark Few and the GU program. Randy makes the WCC better and does amazing things with what he has to work with. He keeps getting better just as Few does. Proud to have him in the WCC!!! Social skills?? Needs work, but it ain't gonna happen to that old dog. Best of luck to Randy in the NCAA.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Totally disagree. You see warriors in rivalries stop and chat and give a big handshake, hug - see it all the time and it's good.

If they want to do it voluntarily I'm all for it. We see it in the NBA, the NFL, baseball. You see LeBron and Curry hug. But it isn't enforced by the media. I feel college coaches should be allowed to talk to opposing coaches if they feel like talking. Players from opposing teams are buddies sometimes - coaches should allow them to exchange pleasantries.

But you also have a right as a coach or player to go to the locker room unmolested.

College basketball is just about the only sport that forces the handshake line on players and coaches for the benefit of the media despite the fact that nobody wants to do it, and the fact that it has zero to do with sportsmanship. They're only doing it to avoid criticism from the media and people who feel they know what's best for everyone else.

I feel very differently when it comes to sports with young kids and such. But when the media gets involved and the game gets bigger, it's a totally fake and dishonest act. I just hate dishonesty. Disloyalty is probably the only other thing I dislike more.

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 08:05 PM
If they want to do it voluntarily I'm all for it. We see it in the NBA, the NFL, baseball. You see LeBron and Curry hug. I feel college coaches should be allowed to talk to opposing coaches if they feel like talking. Players from opposing teams are buddies sometimes - coaches should allow them to exchange pleasantries.

But you also have a right to go to the locker room unmolested.

College basketball is just about the only sport that forces the handshake line on players and coaches for the benefit of the media despite the fact that nobody wants to do it, and the fact that it has zero to do with sportsmanship. They're only doing it to avoid criticism from the media and people who feel they know what's best for everyone else.

I feel very differently when it comes to sports with young kids and such. But when the media gets involved, it's totally fake and dishonest.

I didn't know they forced it. I hadn't read all that closely other than "has to go" and the "fake" stuff.

That's kind of weird and maybe there's a point about it being voluntary. Sorry for not reading more closely - it does change the dynamic a little.

If a team has been dirty, then forget it - they don't deserve respect. But, if the team's played hard and fair, I like the tradition in hockey, football, BB.

Dirt McGirt
03-07-2017, 08:10 PM
I'm not supposed to say anything because a lot of people don't know this: Randy has a spastic colon. Always has. The WCC once fined him $10 grand for leaving the bench during a tv timeout to conduct aerial strikes on porcelainistan and his wife flipped out. She told himself she doesn't care if he's touching cloth, he's not to incur another fine. I don't think you should take offense as he quickly penguin walks past Coach Few.

john montana
03-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Great coach, but needs to man up and congratulate his competition after a loss. He should also man up and schedule better.

PeninsulaDog
03-07-2017, 08:11 PM

His dislike of GU/Few is palpable in his interviews on Bay Area media.

sideshow06
03-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Dirt, we miss you on GIAG. Come back to us.

zagdontzig
03-07-2017, 08:14 PM
He should also man up and schedule better.

I'd forgive it all if he did this.

Dirt McGirt
03-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Dirt, we miss you on GIAG. Come back to us.

:cheers: I've been trying to hold out until that ticket guy no longer works there.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 08:17 PM
I'm not supposed to say anything because a lot of people don't know this: Randy has a spastic colon. Always has. The WCC once fined him $10 grand for leaving the bench during a tv timeout to conduct aerial strikes on porcelainistan and his wife flipped out. She told himself she doesn't care if he's touching cloth, he's not to incur another fine. I don't think you should take offense as he quickly penguin walks past Coach Few.

:)

Zagguy
03-07-2017, 08:18 PM
:000tens:
:)

Goshzagit
03-07-2017, 08:19 PM

:lmao:

Dirt McGirt is to GIAG as Woohoo is to GuB.

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/5928153/Scene2.0.gif

sideshow06
03-07-2017, 08:28 PM
Mark, come on man! I mean... Tons of respect for Mark Few. Tons. Just wish he didn't always try and talk your ear off in the handshake line after a big win. Classless move, rubbing it in like that. Did you see Bennett just try to make sure he could congratulate the Zag players on a great win and season and there's Few practically pulling him back to share some inane platitudes. No sportsmanship. Good coach though - man can that guy schedule like you wouldn't believe. But seriously, can always count on the vice-grip double-clutch handshake for days. Love the Few pull back. The Gonzaga admins should send him to sore winner school. But really. Respect. Great, great coach.

This is what you sound like.

zagbeliever
03-07-2017, 08:28 PM
They shook hands and were very cordial before the tipoff. Even back slapped. We were very close to St Mary's bench. Guess he doesn't like to lose every year.....

JPtheBeasta
03-07-2017, 08:29 PM
The most consistent and reliable performance is the Bennet Blow-By. He practices it regularly and knew when he just a little pup in Mesa, AZ, he thought, "One day, I am not just going to be a coach of the ultimate WCC sidekick team but I am going to blow-by with such consistency and form when the opposing superhero coach attempts to shake my hand that people will remark about it for years to come." He practiced for years: in his classroom, on the school yard, in the downtown area, etc. Rumor has it he practiced so much, he had to wear a glove to prevent any injury from occurring. There is also currently an ESPN 30-for-30 in production, "Fast and Furious: The Randy Bennett Handshake Story".

Didn't he break his hand in handshake practice a few years ago?

Ekrub
03-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Eh, who cares. He shook Few's hand, no need to fraternize. I love the Bennet blow by. A tradition unlike any other.

And the fact the current nba guys hug each other after the game irks me. 90s Era there was no love lost on the court. That's when nba was at its best.

Dirt McGirt
03-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Didn't he break his hand in handshake practice a few years ago?

That was a cover up. He was actually trying to get leverage during one of his famous post game bowl frecklings, ripped the towel rack off the wall, and broke his hand trying to brace his fall. Very tragic.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Eh, who cares. He shook Few's hand, no need to fraternize. I love the Bennet blow by. A tradition unlike any other.

And the fact the current nba guys hug each other after the game irks me. 90s Era there was no love lost on the court. That's when nba was at its best.

90 no love loss

Clearly you were not around for the early 80's slugfestd

Ekrub
03-07-2017, 08:39 PM
90 no love loss

Clearly you were not around for the early 80's slugfestd

You're right. Too young to remember 80s nba. I'm sure it was fun as well. Grew up with Reggie being my dude, although a bit of a flopper. Great #### talker. Guys on the court had a distaste for each other. It made the rivalrys fun. Now it's all about hugs after the games and building super teams.

JPtheBeasta
03-07-2017, 08:43 PM
That was a cover up. He was actually trying to get leverage during one of his famous post game bowl frecklings, ripped the towel rack off the wall, and broke his hand trying to brace his fall. Very tragic.

A cautionary tale to every athletic director, who should demand that his/her coach pass a colonoscopy. There's gotta be plenty of Division 1 colons out there that are ticking time bombs. Thankfully Randy's happened in private. It's probably going to take a court-side tragedy to raise awareness.

Come to think of it, is there a charity I can donate to?

scott257
03-07-2017, 08:43 PM

I noticed that Mark had walked down and visited with him before the start of the game. I don't think it is a big deal.

Goshzagit
03-07-2017, 08:46 PM
Even more snippy in his post game presser.

I like him as a Coach & really like his program but no denying he's more than just a sore loser...

He really threw his kids under the bus.

His players were bummer, but complimentary to the Zags, & admitted they could play better, gave explanations, etc.

Randy just pouted & made excuses.

JPtheBeasta
03-07-2017, 08:51 PM
In all seriousness, the handshake thing used to bother me but it doesn't anymore. I don't want him to stop doing what he does because it's entertaining, and he seems to do it to everybody.

JPtheBeasta
03-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Even more snippy in his post game presser.

I like him as a Coach & really like his program but no denying he's more than just a sore loser...

He really threw his kids under the bus.

His players were bummer, but complimentary to the Zags, & admitted they could play better, gave explanations, etc.

Randy just pouted & made excuses.

Where does one go to find that? I never have good success finding post game interviews.

Gin N GUice
03-07-2017, 08:53 PM
As a competitor it never bothered me if the losing team/player/coach didn't want to shake my hand after they lost. If anything it almost felt more gratifying if they didnt. I doubt any of the players even care, why should we?

sittingon50
03-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Oh wait SMC got caught cheating. Hmmm

So did the Zags.

rennis
03-07-2017, 09:07 PM

Lol, awesome 😂

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ProVeeZag
03-07-2017, 09:13 PM

Nicely done! LMAO!

rennis
03-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Oh and regarding your posit for a bribe to get a #1 seed at the cost of a loss to a #16 I recognize an Allais Paradox when I see one and I won't fall prey to your wicked games Sir McGirt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ProVeeZag
03-07-2017, 09:28 PM

Suggest at the 4:00 media timeout, Coach Bennett "suit up" with 2 layers of Big Boy Depends. He should then be "good to go" at end of regulation.

Seriously, I don't call the "Bennett Blow-By" unsportsmanlike so much as it's just plain unprofessional. No need to say anything or even smile, it's just a courtesy that goes along with being compensated in the 7 figures. Sometimes you need to do things you don't feel like doing.

EDIT: Mr. Dirt, your posts are making my evening!

CDC84
03-07-2017, 09:41 PM
There is also currently an ESPN 30-for-30 in production, "Fast and Furious: The Randy Bennett Handshake Story".

Followed in 10 years by a best selling biography: "From A Handshake To A Holster: How Randy Bennett Used His Blow by Handshake to earn Free Meals in Hollywood as a American Western Antihero."

zagirl2k
03-07-2017, 10:06 PM
The local Bay Area sports guy (KTVU) actually showed and noted the "Bennett blow-by" in the game highlights tonight.

Zags11
03-07-2017, 10:57 PM
He looked like a donkey.

Birddog
03-08-2017, 04:28 AM

Who knew, I heard he blew by Few because Few already had the scissors in his hand to cut down the nets. Randy was just avoiding possible injury.

gu03alum
03-08-2017, 04:37 AM

Good article

TexasZagFan
03-08-2017, 05:00 AM
Great coach, but needs to man up and congratulate his competition after a loss. He should also man up and schedule better.

Why not use some of that extra $300K+ per year (courtesy of the Zags) to get some better teams in for OOC games?

TexasZagFan
03-08-2017, 05:04 AM
So did the Zags.

As they say in NASCAR, "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

thickman1
03-08-2017, 05:13 AM
Why not use some of that extra $300K+ per year (courtesy of the Zags) to get some better teams in for OOC games?
Better yet, hop on a plane and go play some power five teams in their building.

Ekrub
03-08-2017, 05:33 AM
There is also currently an ESPN 30-for-30 in production, "Fast and Furious: The Randy Bennett Handshake Story".

What if I told you... a handshake didn't define a man.

Snowkane
03-08-2017, 06:00 AM
Bennett reminds me a lot of Phil Mickelson. Bennett is a great coach, has done a great job and had some really good teams; however, he is overshadowed by Mark Few. Just like Phil Mickelson was overshadowed by Tiger Woods. If it wasn't for Tiger Woods, Phil would have been the best golfer during that time period. If it wasn't for Few, Bennett would be the best coach in the WCC.

scrooner
03-08-2017, 06:51 AM
If you want a real handshake from Randy, you've got to DOUBLE TEAM him in the line. Put on the trap!

GoZags
03-08-2017, 06:56 AM
What if I told you... a handshake didn't define a man.

Ekrub for threeeeee. Nothing but twine

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2017, 07:00 AM
If you want a real handshake from Randy, you've got to DOUBLE TEAM him in the line. Put on the trap!

Randy:
https://media.giphy.com/media/HrP0JspIGwQ7u/giphy.gif

TheGonzagaFactor
03-08-2017, 07:10 AM

So this incredibly unprofessional and rude act is made OK by the fact that his team didn't just up and leave the gym at halftime?

He doesn't schedule anyone because he knows they would take a lot of losses if he did. He bases EVERYTHING on beating us and he can't even show the default level of respect when he loses.

I don't see how anyone could make excuses for that. He shouldn't bite the hand that feeds. Him and his program are NOTHING without GU on the schedule.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-08-2017, 07:13 AM

No, I just want a normal respectful handshake. It's not hard. Everyone else does it.

sittingon50
03-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Brilliant idea scrooner. Tommy & Donny are twice his size, they could double him right next to the scorer's table, no where to go. Few then darts in and consummates the deal.

Zagceo
03-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Could be worse

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/rider-siena-jimmy-patsos-shook-hands-imaginary-air-handshake-line-invisible

scrooner
03-08-2017, 08:21 AM
BYU has noticed too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQRF-zui0c

scrooner
03-08-2017, 08:22 AM
http://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1248849-saint-mary-s-coach-blows-by-mark-few-in-awkward-postgame-handshake

scrooner
03-08-2017, 08:23 AM
It would be funny if Rem had a handshake routine with Randy, ha ha.

TexasZagFan
03-08-2017, 08:29 AM
So this incredibly unprofessional and rude act is made OK by the fact that his team didn't just up and leave the gym at halftime?

He doesn't schedule anyone because he knows they would take a lot of losses if he did. He bases EVERYTHING on beating us and he can't even show the default level of respect when he loses.

I don't see how anyone could make excuses for that. He shouldn't bite the hand that feeds. Him and his program are NOTHING without GU on the schedule.

+1...without the Zags, WCC is an autobid first round out 80% of the time, and the commissioner would be on the street, begging for donations to pay for the office.

SWZag
03-08-2017, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure what the fuss is about. If you've watched previous games, Bennett does it every time, it's nothing against Few or GU.

Who says it's more professional to take time and talk to the other coach? Is it unprofessional for all the players to just slap hands with no words? I do like Few doing what he does (with whatever words used), but is that more professional? Where are these unwritten professional guidelines?

People make much ado about nothing.

TheZagPhish
03-08-2017, 09:42 AM

:clap:

Holy smoke that would be funny! Maybe a twisting jump and 60s dance shimmy in the mix!

I like Bennett and get his approach, even as I'm very glad Few doesn't act the same. Randy is a chill, happy and funny California dude. He's also laser-focused as a coach, doing so much right only to get frustrated and deflected by his rival no matter what he puts together -- even arguably the best SMC team assembled. That's tough.

He's cool, Few doesn't care and it's a sum total of 1.3 seconds of the post-game. Pretty sure it can be overlooked.

jake
03-08-2017, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure what the fuss is about. If you've watched previous games, Bennett does it every time, it's nothing against Few or GU.

Agreed. When did the post-game handshake become social hour? Completely skipping the handshake is classless. A blow-by quick handshake is what it is. This idea that it's classless and something Bennett should apologize for is ridiculous. It's just Bennett. He's complimentary of Gonzaga in any interview I've every heard. He's a competitive guy. I didn't see any orange slices or chants of 2, 4, 6, 8 who do we appreciate after the game either. I just don't see this as anything close to a big deal, or a deal at all.

sittingon50
03-08-2017, 09:47 AM

Scrooner, you're on fire this morning!

SWZag
03-08-2017, 10:01 AM

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/stepbrothers-handshake.gif

Or:
Ronny
http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/2015/03/awkward-handshake-up-down.gif

maynard g krebs
03-08-2017, 10:59 AM
This thread is better than a Seinfeld episode. Nearing 100 posts about nothing.

sittingon50
03-08-2017, 11:30 AM
#98.

Never watched Seinfeld.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Agreed. When did the post-game handshake become social hour? Completely skipping the handshake is classless. A blow-by quick handshake is what it is. This idea that it's classless and something Bennett should apologize for is ridiculous. It's just Bennett. He's complimentary of Gonzaga in any interview I've every heard. He's a competitive guy. I didn't see any orange slices or chants of 2, 4, 6, 8 who do we appreciate after the game either. I just don't see this as anything close to a big deal, or a deal at all.

I like it and hope he never stops.

RenoZag
03-08-2017, 06:12 PM
This thread is better than a Seinfeld episode. Nearing 100 posts about nothing.

Indeed.