PDA

View Full Version : Coaching records. From the Seattle Times Blog.

MDABE80
10-17-2007, 10:33 AM
No. Coach Team Yrs. Won Lost Pct.

1. Mark Few - Gonzaga 8 211 52 .802
2. Roy Williams - North Carolina .19 524 131 .800
3. Bruce Pearl - Tennessee 15 363 103 .779
4. Thad Matta - Ohio St. 7 183 53 .775
5. Bo Ryan - Wisconsin 23 525 158 .769
6. Mike Krzyzewski - Duke 32 775 261 .748
7. Rick Majerus - St. Louis 20 422 147 .742
8. Jim Boeheim - Syracuse 31 750 264 .740
9. Bob Huggins - West Virginia 25 590 211 .737
10. Lute Olson - Arizona 34 780 280 .736
11. John Calipari - Memphis 15 370 133 .736
12. Rick Pitino - Louisville 21 494 182 .731
13. Tubby Smith - Minnesota 16 387 145 .727
14. Bruce Weber - Illinois 9 215 82 .724
15. Bob Knight - Texas Tech 41 890 363 .710
16. Billy Donovan - Florida 13 296 123 .706
17. Gregg Marshall - Wichita St 9 194 83 .700
18. Bill Self - Kansas 14 312 134 .700
19. Danny Kaspar - Stephen F. Austin 16 327 142 .697
20. Tom Izzo - Michigan St 12 278 121 .697
21. Jim Calhoun - Connecticut 35 750 328 .696

I suppose being in the WCC helps but.......our guy is doing well.

kyle dixon
10-17-2007, 10:39 AM
No Romar? Just kidding. Few's .802 winning percentage is very impressive as is Roy Williams over .800.

BobZag
10-17-2007, 10:59 AM
I only see very few non-BCS coaches on this list, not counting Calipari. If it helps being in a conference like the WCC, logic would tell me there would be more smaller conference coaches near the top of this list. But there aren't.

cggonzaga
10-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Roy Williams' record is absolutely amazing to me. Granted he's got to coach at KU and UNC but still. Few's is skewed but there's nothing he can do about that, you still have to win the games. Very impressive.

lothar98zag
10-17-2007, 11:01 AM
everyone on that list has an impressive overall winning %.

cggonzaga
10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I only see very few non-BCS coaches on this list, not counting Calipari. If it helps being in a conference like the WCC, logic would tell me there would be more smaller conference coaches near the top of this list. But there aren't.

There are coaches on that list that now coach at a BCS school. Quite a few on that list built those percentages coaching at lower levels than they are now.

sharpzag
10-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Coach Few's record is also skewed by all of those easy wins against UW. Now that Gonzaga doesn't play UW anymore, look for his winning percentage to decrease.

siliconzag
10-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Now I know where you got your name. Talk about the unkindest cut of all. (I loved it, just for the record). Sil

gamagin
10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
against each other ?

MickMick
10-17-2007, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't swap him for anyone on that list.

How many offers has he turned down? How much more money can he make?

As I said....I wouldn't swap him for anyone on that list. I guess I am old school when it comes to loyalty.

DavyZag
10-17-2007, 01:14 PM

Bob - I think you don't see that because it's so rare for a small-conference coach to remain in one place. Normally, the BCS schools nab the successful mid-major coaches. I really can't think of another coach right now off the top of my head that has remained at a midmajor school for as long as Few has and seen as much success as he has.

I mean, if Bruce Pearl or Bo Ryan had stayed at Wisconsin-Milwaukee, their records would likely be better, etc. etc. for many of those coaches on that list.

So I think that probably explains it.

Still, that doesn't lessen the accomplishment in the slightest!!!

CDC84
10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
I would've thought after last season that Few would've slipped down on this list, but he's still up there. To win 80% of your games or better is tremendous no matter where you're coaching.

I have been saying for years that Roy Williams is one of the absolute best coaches in basketball. I was happy to finally to see him win the title at UNC because I always felt he was never given enough credit for his accomplishments at Kansas. A lot of folks felt he wasn't all that great because he couldn't win "the big one" while he was in Lawrence. I'm sure some of those cynics will say that he won "the big one" at UNC primarily with another staff's recruits (although Marvin Williams was his guy), but to gather that dysfunctional bunch and get them to play hard as a team wasn't any easy chore.

BTW.....One of Few's closest allies in the coaching biz is Williams. He was one of the first guys to call Few after the Josh/Theo thing last February.

cbbfanatic
10-17-2007, 01:37 PM
not to detract at all, but few owes a little thanks to monson for this incredibly impressive feat. he took over a program in great shape and on a serious roll and never had to rebuild. he has kept it rolling and continually improved the program, and in impressive fashion

former1dog
10-17-2007, 01:40 PM
not to detract at all, but few owes a little thanks to monson for this incredibly impressive feat.

Some would contend that Monson's success wasn't independent of Mark Few (he was there the whole time as a co-assistant with Monson, both under Fitz)I don't have any inside info regarding this point, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

;)

BobZag
10-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Now I know where you got your name. Talk about the unkindest cut of all. (I loved it, just for the record). Sil

Welcome back, Sili! This year is a holy crusade, you know. We'll need to battle the heathens every step of the way, and you're the ideal general to do so.

lothar98zag
10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Did someone say "General"?

CDC84
10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
It was Few's recruiting abilities and his offensive genius that made this program what it is....even when Monson, Few and Grier were all working under Fitz. He was the absolute mastermind, and he had a vision for what Gonzaga could achieve that I know Fitz didn't have and the others might not have had. Everyone deserves some credit, but Few built this puppy into the program that it is today.

I mean, if Bruce Pearl or Bo Ryan had stayed at Wisconsin-Milwaukee, their records would likely be better, etc. etc. for many of those coaches on that list.

This assumes that Pearl and Ryan are at the same level as Few as a coach, which I wouldn't agree with. And I say that with the knowledge that Ryan and Pearl are superb coaches. Nonetheless, if I were starting a program from the groundup, I would hire Few and his assistants in a heartbeat over those two. Also, if I had to pick a coach to game plan for one game, I’d take Few and wouldn’t even think twice about it.

Secondly, I do not feel Pearl would've ever built UW-Milwaukee into the kind of program that could win over 80% of its games, and it's for the very reason why Bruce Pearl and countless other coaches like him left behind schools like UW-Milwaukee: big money and big recruiting. There is just no way that UW-Milwaukee could have ever been built into the kind of program that would get the kind of talent necessary to compile the amount of victories that Few has while facing and beating all of the top 10 type teams that he has. The same goes for all the TV and media exposure that GU gets. Some of this is the good fortune that Gonzaga had to be located in a talent rich area with very few BCS schools around, but a whole lot of it was and still is Few's coaching and ability to sell the program.

I suppose you could argue that if Pearl took over for Monson that he could've done the same thing as Few, but I just think Mark is one of the great offensive masterminds that we have in the game at any level. I can't tell you how many people thought Few was nuts to think that a West Coast Conference school in the modern era could play up tempo, score tons of points on the fast break and in the halfcourt at a high percentage and essentially beat BCS level teams at their own game. And yet he just keeps winning, and the program keeps getting better.

DavyZag
10-17-2007, 02:58 PM
I can't tell you how many people thought Few was nuts to think that a West Coast Conference school in the modern era could play up tempo, score tons of points on the fast break and in the halfcourt at a high percentage and essentially beat BCS level teams at their own game.

Yeah... Paul Westhead never did anything like that in the WCC, huh? ;)

CDC84
10-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah... Paul Westhead never did anything like that in the WCC, huh?

Actually, Westhead didn't do that. All Westhead did was fast break, period. It was a gimmick offense to say the least that no major conference team he ever faced employed as its main offense. He employed zilch in the way of halfcourt offense.

That's why I said that Few's teams score on the fast break OR in the halfcourt with high efficiency. And the way Gonzaga fast breaks is more like what North Carolina does....it isn't anything like LMU under Westhead.

former1dog
10-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Westhead had the dynamic duo and a solid supporting cast running that fast break offense as well.

Dang Hank was a great player.

BilboZaggins
10-17-2007, 06:17 PM
15. Bob Knight - Texas Tech 41 890 363 .710

fedwayzag
10-17-2007, 06:36 PM
I remember vividly a game during the 1999 ncaa's. It was at the end of the game GU called a timeout. Immediately Few took over and diagrammed the play. I know asst coaches are in charge of certain responsibilites, but it was the way he took charge. You could see the he had the confidence.

I give credit to Monson for his part in the rise of GU bb. However, I think Few has taken it to another level.

cbbfanatic
10-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Some would contend that Monson's success wasn't independent of Mark Few (he was there the whole time as a co-assistant with Monson, both under Fitz)I don't have any inside info regarding this point, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

;)

yeah, i didnt mean to say monson did it all on his own. the point was that from the day w's and l's went on few's record, he was set up and rolling, never had t endure "growing pains"... which yeah, im sure he had a LOT to do with that.