A Prime Example Of Why I Just Can't Stand Dicky V (from last night's game)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

A Prime Example Of Why I Just Can't Stand Dicky V (from last night's game)

About the 10 minute mark of the first half last night, I think the game was tied. Immediately Vitale goes into the "could we have an upset on our hands" mode. He literally said that he was very surprised that the game wasn't on it's way to a blow out yet. Yes, that's right, the 10 minute mark in the first half.

The typical big shot national TV announcer who has watched probably viewed zero WCC games all season.

I watched each single minute of every single league game this season, and honestly, only a couple of Gonzaga games got out of hand 10-15 minutes into the game. It is very normal for GU to bring a 13 pt. lead into the half. And then the combination of 2nd half adjustments and overall player talent and depth wears the other team down, and a big separation happens.

Obviously, that blow out didn't occur last night. The combination of SCU playing for their lives plus Sendek's coaching plus Brownridge's talent probably meant that GU wasn't going to beat them by 30+ again. But give me a break, Vitale. Does his beloved Dukies get the same criticism if they aren't beating BC by 20 pts. at the 10 minute mark in the 1st half?
  • krozman
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2008

You're never going to hear me say I like Dicky V. He irks me to no end. In his defense, however, I have to say that it's almost a responsibility of the TV/Radio personalities calling the games to make the game interesting to their viewers. If they throw out a "comeback baby!" comment and viewers believe the game is actually close, they are more entertained. I only know this because I have to watch Gonzaga crush the WCC every year and they all do it.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• HenneZag
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2012

Then he went on as far as the level of competition of the WCC vs the ACC etc...when the seeding discussion was being talked about. He's in love with the blue bloods.
      America's Team!

Comment

• bartruff1
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

For some reason, I can tune him out, I don't hear him, he is like background noise....but Walton is like fingernails on a blackboard...

Comment

• hondo
          Zag for Life
          • May 2009

Dickie V should be selling used cars, he might be good at that.

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Another annual tradition is Vitale pleading for "the little guy" during ESPN bracketology, and then when asked which teams should've been removed to make room for "the little guy," he starts complaining about how the 9th place teams in the ACC and Big 12 got screwed out of a bid.

There are never enough tournament bids for Dicky V.

I could count on one hand the amount of teams I have genuinely felt sorry for who weren't selected in the past 20 years of the tourney. The truth of the matter is that most bubble teams don't deserve to be dancing, but the committee has to fill the bracket.

Comment

• Birddog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

My SO was in the same room messing with her laptop and without looking up she asked "do people really enjoy that" ? referencing one of Dicks "baaby" lines.
              Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
              Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
              All mimsy were the borogoves,
              And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hondo View Post
                He certainly has the slicked back hair. Where can we buy him a pair of alligator boots and a shark skin suit?

Comment

• realtydog
                  Kennel Club
                  • Feb 2007

Dickie V

Originally posted by hondo View Post
                  and yet fans flock to him at these events and ESPN keeps paying him, so their data says otherwise

he is polarizing

I also heard him say multiple times that GU was very very good and it could be a blowout any minute

and be honest ........ACC and WCC is like watching an Indy race vs. a BMX race

Comment

• gueastcoast
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

+1000 on the original post.

I found myself saying "shhhhhh" to the TV every time Dukie V. opened his mouth last night. And spot on about the double-standard -- you have teams like Kansas who have been in trouble to middling teams and pull games out late, and there isn't a constant "they should be up by 20+" narrative ruling the telecast. It's more like "we have a close game, that's what happens when teams know each other in conference, etc.", nothing alarmist or sensational.

Vitale and Branch -- what did we do to deserve them?
                    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

The problem with guys like Dicky V is that come into a WCC broadcast and discover that the familiarity factor between the teams in the WCC means that Gonzaga can't just turn on a switch and take someone to the cleaners in 3 minutes.

Comment

• seacatfan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
                        For some reason, I can tune him out, I don't hear him, he is like background noise....but Walton is like fingernails on a blackboard...
                        Ditto. Heister didn't even really bother me this year. But I just can't deal w/ Walton. Absolutely the WORST!

Comment

• PeninsulaDog
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

As the years go by, my feelings about Dickie V. have changed -- he used to drive me out of my mind, but as he gets older I now appreciate his genuine love for life, his enthusiasm for the game, his infectious happiness, and his ability to connect with people. Same goes for Raftery, and (sorry people!) Walton. Sure, Dickie V. is a brash entertainer, a showman, but you can't fake that kind of personality. If you were to meet him personally, I bet you'd love him. The world needs more Dickie V.s.

Comment

• realtydog
                            Kennel Club
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                            The problem with guys like Dicky V is that come into a WCC broadcast and discover that the familiarity factor between the teams in the WCC means that Gonzaga can't just turn on a switch and take someone to the cleaners in 3 minutes.
                            "familiarity factor"????? like the second time GU played Santa Clara (35 pts) or a good San Francisco team (35 pts) ----these games seem to have a more random outcome than saying it's a familiarity factor---all wcc teams know what the others run and there is no way to know how the game will go before hand---if so, you would be a Vegas millionaire

do people on here understand that the game was being broadcasted to the rest of the nation? not just GU fans.....seems like there's no perspective

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

Isn't there a familiarity factor in EVERY conference? And that's a rhetorical question, obviously there is.

Comment

Working...
                              X