PDA

View Full Version : A Prime Example Of Why I Just Can't Stand Dicky V (from last night's game)

CDC84
03-07-2017, 08:27 AM
About the 10 minute mark of the first half last night, I think the game was tied. Immediately Vitale goes into the "could we have an upset on our hands" mode. He literally said that he was very surprised that the game wasn't on it's way to a blow out yet. Yes, that's right, the 10 minute mark in the first half.

The typical big shot national TV announcer who has watched probably viewed zero WCC games all season.

I watched each single minute of every single league game this season, and honestly, only a couple of Gonzaga games got out of hand 10-15 minutes into the game. It is very normal for GU to bring a 13 pt. lead into the half. And then the combination of 2nd half adjustments and overall player talent and depth wears the other team down, and a big separation happens.

Obviously, that blow out didn't occur last night. The combination of SCU playing for their lives plus Sendek's coaching plus Brownridge's talent probably meant that GU wasn't going to beat them by 30+ again. But give me a break, Vitale. Does his beloved Dukies get the same criticism if they aren't beating BC by 20 pts. at the 10 minute mark in the 1st half?

krozman
03-07-2017, 08:32 AM
You're never going to hear me say I like Dicky V. He irks me to no end. In his defense, however, I have to say that it's almost a responsibility of the TV/Radio personalities calling the games to make the game interesting to their viewers. If they throw out a "comeback baby!" comment and viewers believe the game is actually close, they are more entertained. I only know this because I have to watch Gonzaga crush the WCC every year and they all do it.

HenneZag
03-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Then he went on as far as the level of competition of the WCC vs the ACC etc...when the seeding discussion was being talked about. He's in love with the blue bloods.

bartruff1
03-07-2017, 08:53 AM
For some reason, I can tune him out, I don't hear him, he is like background noise....but Walton is like fingernails on a blackboard...

hondo
03-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Dickie V should be selling used cars, he might be good at that.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Another annual tradition is Vitale pleading for "the little guy" during ESPN bracketology, and then when asked which teams should've been removed to make room for "the little guy," he starts complaining about how the 9th place teams in the ACC and Big 12 got screwed out of a bid.

There are never enough tournament bids for Dicky V.

I could count on one hand the amount of teams I have genuinely felt sorry for who weren't selected in the past 20 years of the tourney. The truth of the matter is that most bubble teams don't deserve to be dancing, but the committee has to fill the bracket.

Birddog
03-07-2017, 09:00 AM
My SO was in the same room messing with her laptop and without looking up she asked "do people really enjoy that" ? referencing one of Dicks "baaby" lines.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 09:01 AM

He certainly has the slicked back hair. Where can we buy him a pair of alligator boots and a shark skin suit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGY8wUEmws0

realtydog
03-07-2017, 09:04 AM

and yet fans flock to him at these events and ESPN keeps paying him, so their data says otherwise

he is polarizing

I also heard him say multiple times that GU was very very good and it could be a blowout any minute

and be honest ........ACC and WCC is like watching an Indy race vs. a BMX race

gueastcoast
03-07-2017, 09:05 AM
+1000 on the original post.

I found myself saying "shhhhhh" to the TV every time Dukie V. opened his mouth last night. And spot on about the double-standard -- you have teams like Kansas who have been in trouble to middling teams and pull games out late, and there isn't a constant "they should be up by 20+" narrative ruling the telecast. It's more like "we have a close game, that's what happens when teams know each other in conference, etc.", nothing alarmist or sensational.

Vitale and Branch -- what did we do to deserve them? :enraged:

CDC84
03-07-2017, 09:07 AM
The problem with guys like Dicky V is that come into a WCC broadcast and discover that the familiarity factor between the teams in the WCC means that Gonzaga can't just turn on a switch and take someone to the cleaners in 3 minutes.

seacatfan
03-07-2017, 09:11 AM
For some reason, I can tune him out, I don't hear him, he is like background noise....but Walton is like fingernails on a blackboard...

Ditto. Heister didn't even really bother me this year. But I just can't deal w/ Walton. Absolutely the WORST!

PeninsulaDog
03-07-2017, 09:16 AM
As the years go by, my feelings about Dickie V. have changed -- he used to drive me out of my mind, but as he gets older I now appreciate his genuine love for life, his enthusiasm for the game, his infectious happiness, and his ability to connect with people. Same goes for Raftery, and (sorry people!) Walton. Sure, Dickie V. is a brash entertainer, a showman, but you can't fake that kind of personality. If you were to meet him personally, I bet you'd love him. The world needs more Dickie V.s.

realtydog
03-07-2017, 09:20 AM
The problem with guys like Dicky V is that come into a WCC broadcast and discover that the familiarity factor between the teams in the WCC means that Gonzaga can't just turn on a switch and take someone to the cleaners in 3 minutes.

"familiarity factor"????? like the second time GU played Santa Clara (35 pts) or a good San Francisco team (35 pts) ----these games seem to have a more random outcome than saying it's a familiarity factor---all wcc teams know what the others run and there is no way to know how the game will go before hand---if so, you would be a Vegas millionaire

do people on here understand that the game was being broadcasted to the rest of the nation? not just GU fans.....seems like there's no perspective

seacatfan
03-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Isn't there a familiarity factor in EVERY conference? And that's a rhetorical question, obviously there is.

MontanaCoyote
03-07-2017, 09:35 AM
He talks too much, Period!

Zags11
03-07-2017, 09:43 AM
I like him. But again most ppl hate announcers.

All Weather Fan
03-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Have to agree with PeninsulaDog on this one....
Dickie V's genuine enthusiasm for the game & life have converted me over the years.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Isn't there a familiarity factor in EVERY conference? And that's a rhetorical question, obviously there is.

Of course, but I feel with 100% of my heart and mind that most college basketball analysts - especially those who do most of their broadcasting in BCS leagues - don't acknowledge the "familiarity" factor as much with Gonzaga and the WCC than, say, Duke and the ACC. They think that when SCU plays Gonzaga, it's like when Duke plays SCU. It's not. They expect GU to destroy these teams like a blue blood who has never faced USF or SCU. And then when someone like Dicky V comes to Vegas, he gets shocked by the fact that Gonzaga is barely up 10 minutes into the game. I just feel that Gonzaga is held to different standards by these announcers that are simply unfair.

Even with just three games under his belt coaching against Gonzaga, Herb Sendek knows more about GU's system and it's players than any coach that GU will face in March besides Randy Bennett.

Markburn1
03-07-2017, 10:17 AM
I'll have to disagree. Especially from a technical aspect. It was obvious that Dickie V knew the players on both teams including their strengths and weaknesses. You could tell he prepared very well. Probably watched some film, asked coaches and players questions that would help him during the broadcast. On the other hand, Jon Barry came off like he couldn't be bothered by actually preparing for a WCC game. Very condescending.

SWZag
03-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the owner of a mute button.

I personally don't mind him, as others said, I wish other announcers had enthusiasm. I'd take Vitale over others, especially Pam Ward. I think older generation announcers are light years better than announcers of today, hands down.

maynard g krebs
03-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Maybe it's the Eric Cartman syndrome, i.e. you hate hippies.

zagdontzig
03-07-2017, 10:23 AM
It could be worse. You could have Bill Walton talking about milking cows and being milked.

CarolinaZagFan
03-07-2017, 10:24 AM
I put it on mute and started listening to music about three minutes into the game when he found a way to bring UNC/Duke up. The reason I started watching the Zags is because I wanted to get away from the Always Cheating Conference. I have to hear about how great the ACC is all day every day. I can go without hearing about them while I'm watching my Zags play.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 10:25 AM
I'll have to disagree. Especially from a technical aspect. It was obvious that Dickie V knew the players on both teams including their strengths and weaknesses. You could tell he prepared very well. Probably watched some film, asked coaches and players questions that would help him during the broadcast. On the other hand, Jon Barry came off like he couldn't be bothered by actually preparing for a WCC game. Very condescending.

I have no doubt that Dicky V was given a nice, tidy tip sheet by the 4 letter network. And he was in Orlando watching the Zags earlier this year. He knows the Zags, but he was way way more informed about GU than SCU. My point is that his reactions were that of a guy who doesn't watch GU play against a lot of WCC teams. Most of these announcers don't realize how hard it is....even in a season where GU has basically been beating everyone by 25 pts.

I would rather that ESPN get a consistent WCC announcing crew, but before they do that, they should put Adrian Branch and Big Brad out to pasture. But as we all know, they are facing financial issues. So we'll continue to get hog slop.

Markburn1
03-07-2017, 10:38 AM
I have no doubt that Dicky V was given a nice, tidy tip sheet by the 4 letter network. And he was in Orlando watching the Zags earlier this year. He knows the Zags, but he was way way more informed about GU than SCU. My point is that his reactions were that of a guy who doesn't watch GU play against a lot of WCC teams. Most of these announcers don't realize how hard it is....even in a season where GU has basically been beating everyone by 25 pts.

I would rather that ESPN get a consistent WCC announcing crew, but before they do that, they should put Adrian Branch and Big Brad out to pasture. But as we all know, they are facing financial issues. So we'll continue to get hog slop.

Disagree again. He talked about Brownridge, Hauser and Kratch in some detail. There is no doubt in my mind that he watched some film. Also, he talked extensively about how the coaches viewed their opponents. He was prepared.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 10:43 AM
You are still missing my point. He can be prepared all he wants, but he showed why he doesn't watch Gonzaga play a lot of WCC opponents through his comments at the 10 minute mark of the first half. He expected the game to be a wipe out because he discounted the conference familiarity that exists between Gonzaga and teams in the WCC. He thinks that GU playing SCU is like Duke playing SCU. It's not the same deal. That's my main point. He certainly did better than the guy on Saturday who sounded like he was hung over.

Anyway, I just can't stand Vitale and will continue to do so until ESPN's silences his mike and tells him to drink Margaritas in Florida for the rest of his days.

seacatfan
03-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Santa Clara gave Duke a tussle several years ago when Foster was lighting it up for them (do they always have one high scoring guard? kinda seems like it).

Gonzaga did beat Santa Clara by 30+ twice earlier this year. One might look at that and think it's a bad matchup for SCU and not give them much of a chance of hanging around w/ the Zags. Were Zags fans expecting such a tightly contested game?

BYU's familiarity w/ St. Mary's didn't help them the slightest bit last night. Or somehow SMC's familiarity w/ BYU was greater than vice versa?

Agree w/ an earlier poster that results or margins seem a bit random.

EEzag
03-07-2017, 10:59 AM
You are still missing my point. He can be prepared all he wants, but he showed why he doesn't watch Gonzaga play a lot of WCC opponents through his comments at the 10 minute mark of the first half. He expected the game to be a wipe out because he discounted the conference familiarity that exists between Gonzaga and teams in the WCC. He thinks that GU playing SCU is like Duke playing SCU. It's not the same deal. That's my main point. Her certainly did better than the guy on Saturday who sounded like he was hung over.

Anyway, I just can't stand Vitale and will continue to do so until ESPN's silences his mike and tells him to drink Margaritas in Florida for the rest of his days.

Vitale spent all of 5 minutes reviewing SC. He has, however, been around long enough to identify just by watching the game who does what. It's not like Brownridge is a big unknown. The kid could play on most teams in any conference. DV is a salesman for college basketball. He will always pander to the direct viewer base and yet try to make what could be a boring blowout something worth watching. That's all. Nothing personal. He almost never bashes anyone so to have access for interviews and such. (which is why I like guys like Charles Barkley, agree or not, like or not, at least you get something not sanitized for political consumption)

DV is all about the positive waves. Just don't mention the little Blue-Devil tattoo on the small of his back.

SWZag
03-07-2017, 11:00 AM
You are still missing my point. He can be prepared all he wants, but he showed why he doesn't watch Gonzaga play a lot of WCC opponents through his comments at the 10 minute mark of the first half. He expected the game to be a wipe out because he discounted the conference familiarity that exists between Gonzaga and teams in the WCC. He thinks that GU playing SCU is like Duke playing SCU. It's not the same deal. That's my main point. He certainly did better than the guy on Saturday who sounded like he was hung over.

Is your first paragraph really any different than any other crew doing a WCC game? Maybe there's one or maybe two exceptions. Or do you think it's more noticeable because of your dislike of Vitale?

jagwalkley
03-07-2017, 11:29 AM
I have to say you are right on all counts.They all just love basketball.We meet Bill Walton and he will talk good will and ball forever and he loves everyone.They just really get carried away for us average people.

Ezag
03-07-2017, 11:41 AM
It's virtually impossible for any of these announcers to know more about the WCC than us "expert fans" well-prepped or not

DirtyDredZag
03-07-2017, 11:57 AM
I met Dick V at Norte dame a couple times when I was going to school there. His kids went there and he makes it to most home games. I told him I'm a huge gonzaga fan and he lit up and said " I love the zags, u guys have one of the best coaches in America up in Spokane". Super badass dude and a devout catholic. A million times better than our hodgepodge group of announcers on NBC. They are so bad they need three people to do the broadcast.

scrooner
03-07-2017, 12:04 PM
This is what did it for me:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/06/tv-take-dick-vitale-has-seen-a-lot-but-he-didnt-ex/

Another miss came at Silas Melson’s expense.

The guard was on the receiving end of a Williams-Goss pass with 5 minutes left, but Jarvis Pugh met him at the rim and blocked the shot. Vitale and O’Brien raved.

Problem was, neither the ESPN pair or the three officials, Verne Harris, David Hall or Mike Reed, seemed to notice Pugh body-blocked Melson to the ground, actually pounding him at least 6 feet to the left.

75Zag
03-07-2017, 12:08 PM
The job of a heroin dealer is to motivate his customers to keep them coming back for more product. The job of a sports broadcaster is to motivate his viewers to keep them coming back for more commercials. At this moment in time, and for reasons that I cannot comprehend, Dickie V. motivates his viewers to keep coming back for more commercials. I doubt that he or the ESPN family of networks cares about anything other than that. If they did, I suspect that Dickie V. would have been put out to pasture long ago, Baby!

Go Bulldogs!

Zaga
03-07-2017, 12:23 PM

+1

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 12:37 PM
I'm fine with his color comm, but that's just a matter of taste.

Part of why people like meeting him, getting a selfie, all that, is b/c he represents the rise of big college bb, for two generations, when they've heard his excitement, they know it's a big game, and also b/c he's about as sweet a person as one can meet and seems just as excited about meeting you and gladly playing along.

bartruff1
03-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Vitale is the Kardasian of broadcasters....famous for being famous...

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 01:08 PM
The job of a heroin dealer is to motivate his customers to keep them coming back for more product. The job of a sports broadcaster is to motivate his viewers to keep them coming back for more commercials. At this moment in time, and for reasons that I cannot comprehend, Dickie V. motivates his viewers to keep coming back for more commercials. I doubt that he or the ESPN family of networks cares about anything other than that. If they did, I suspect that Dickie V. would have been put out to pasture long ago, Baby!

Go Bulldogs!

you watch commercials? I take those valuable time to stop the action on my tivo and 1. use the mens room (I am getting old) 2. get more beer 3. light up a cigar and then fast forward thru commercial back to the game

bartruff1
03-07-2017, 01:32 PM
I will never be able to completely relax until Billy Packer is dead... I can't believe anyone would watch a game because of who was doing the broadcast....except, just maybe, Gus Johnson who was a factor in the Gonzaga Cinderella narrative...

Zag4Hire
03-07-2017, 02:11 PM
This is what did it for me:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/06/tv-take-dick-vitale-has-seen-a-lot-but-he-didnt-ex/

Another miss came at Silas Melson’s expense.

The guard was on the receiving end of a Williams-Goss pass with 5 minutes left, but Jarvis Pugh met him at the rim and blocked the shot. Vitale and O’Brien raved.

Problem was, neither the ESPN pair or the three officials, Verne Harris, David Hall or Mike Reed, seemed to notice Pugh body-blocked Melson to the ground, actually pounding him at least 6 feet to the left.

Yeah I definitely thought that as well. It was an obvious foul but they were busy stoking the fire of a potential upset to notice.

I think I will pass on Dickie V. The good in that he signals a big game, enthusiasm (some announcers act like they are miserable), and his penchant for nonsense makes him disarming to some. I actually preferred Coach Knight despite him seeming absolutely miserable and a true a**hole but I felt like he cared about the game and made interesting insights.

I am surprised nobody mentioned this yet (unless I completely missed it) but what about Dookie V's comments about the bubble. Essentially, he was proud of mid majors and they had a great season (Monmouth) but they dropped their respective conference tourney and now mediocrity in the Power 6 would fill the void....and he said he was fine with that! I thought that was completely backhanded for mid majors and considering his announcing a mid major conference, thought it was more than tone deaf. What works against the mid majors works for the Power 6. Hey chalk it up as it is all about $ and football schools but don't act like this is preferable.

katman50
03-07-2017, 02:29 PM
I put it on mute and started listening to music about three minutes into the game when he found a way to bring UNC/Duke up. The reason I started watching the Zags is because I wanted to get away from the Always Cheating Conference. I have to hear about how great the ACC is all day every day. I can go without hearing about them while I'm watching my Zags play.

I did the same. Muted after about 10 minutes and really enjoyed it. With nice music in the background.

webspinnre
03-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Did anyone else notice that Dickie V only did the first game, and then didn't stick around for game 2? How messed up is that? I guess he's older, and maybe that's all he can take? But it sure felt like he did the GU game because they were the "big-time" and then skipped out on SMC-BYU.

edit: That being said, I was jealous of SMC-BYU for not having to deal with Dickie V.

75Zag
03-07-2017, 03:05 PM
you watch commercials? I take those valuable time to stop the action on my tivo and 1. use the mens room (I am getting old) 2. get more beer 3. light up a cigar and then fast forward thru commercial back to the game

Hoop, you are my hero. If I tried to light a cigar while watching GU BB inside my house, I would be dead multiple times from multiple causes, all of them untraceable. Things must be more liberal in Lacrosse than they are in Lind where the Lovely Mrs. '75 was raised.

Go Bulldogs!

Bogozags
03-07-2017, 03:17 PM
DickeeV has been around since dirt...I use to be a big Duke fan and DickeeV did so many of the Duke games...he was like a "part of the show" but after watching him 408,922 times he became just a repeat artist...he just sounded the same every game no matter who was playing.

As Bart said, he is famous for being famous...all the kids think he is a celebrity and flock to him during pre-game. I watched him last year and he really believes his act...it is a part of him and god love him for what he has done for college basketball on TV!

Just to bring up an oldee but Al McGuire was the best and that is who DV watched many years ago and tries to emulate IMO...

These announcers are pretty much all the same...there is no objectivity but only the "sound bite" to impress viewers and increase ratings...

I am sick and tired of hearing Rafferty and all announcers constantly use the word "GREAT"...if every darn player is GREAT then why do teams lose?

I was speaking one-on-one with Bilas in Kuwait back in 2006 and asked him why don't announcers actually criticize Bob Huggins, when he was at Cincy, for not doing his job and making sure his kids go to classes and graduate...he just told me Huggins is a GREAT Coach and just avoided the topic by pointing out that he is at the school to win games...I have always believed that the words Student-Athlete actually mean something and for those that remember, Huggy Baby had one of the worst graduation records at that school...the same school that gave us the Big "O"...

As another poster said, DV should sell used cars...well that is exactly what all these announcers are paid to do but the product isn't cars but rather Power-5 Basketball...

One more thing...the only announcer in recent memory that "new" the Zags inside and out was that retired NBA player from the University of Illinois...I just can't remember his name but THAT guy knew basketball and the ZAGS! Where is he when you need him...

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Hoop, you are my hero. If I tried to light a cigar while watching GU BB inside my house, I would be dead multiple times from multiple causes, all of them untraceable. Things must be more liberal in Lacrosse than they are in Lind where the Lovely Mrs. '75 was raised.

Go Bulldogs!

Man cave is the answer my friend

Especially out in the country between washtucna and lacrosse

Markburn1
03-07-2017, 03:43 PM
"One more thing...the only announcer in recent memory that "new" the Zags inside and out was that retired NBA player from the University of Illinois...I just can't remember his name but THAT guy knew basketball and the ZAGS! Where is he when you need him..."

Stephen "Bitter Beer Face" Bardo. Doing Big Ten games. He is one of my all time favorites.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Did anyone else notice that Dickie V only did the first game, and then didn't stick around for game 2? How messed up is that? I guess he's older, and maybe that's all he can take? But it sure felt like he did the GU game because they were the "big-time" and then skipped out on SMC-BYU.

edit: That being said, I was jealous of SMC-BYU for not having to deal with Dickie V.

Did broadcasting for high school games. Back to back is very very difficult

Bogozags
03-07-2017, 03:54 PM
"One more thing...the only announcer in recent memory that "new" the Zags inside and out was that retired NBA player from the University of Illinois...I just can't remember his name but THAT guy knew basketball and the ZAGS! Where is he when you need him..."

Stephen "Bitter Beer Face" Bardo. Doing Big Ten games. He is one of my all time favorites.

THANKS Mark!

Bardo was the man...only our crew knew more about the ZAGS...was really sorry to see him leave BUT happy for the promotion he got...probably closer to home too...

ZagNative
03-07-2017, 04:27 PM
From twitter just now:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6W621pUsAAcUBU.jpg

I pretty much mute the TV and listen to Huddy and Santangelo call the game on the adio. I'm slow mentally, so I enjoy the fact they call the action before the TV catches up with it.

I find the complaints about whoever calls the Zags games annoying. We're spoiled, folks.

jpn17
03-07-2017, 04:37 PM
You're never going to hear me say I like Dicky V. He irks me to no end. In his defense, however, I have to say that it's almost a responsibility of the TV/Radio personalities calling the games to make the game interesting to their viewers. If they throw out a "comeback baby!" comment and viewers believe the game is actually close, they are more entertained. I only know this because I have to watch Gonzaga crush the WCC every year and they all do it.

Yeah they all do it. I remember a couple years ago Gonzaga was playing in Portland and UP went on a small run to pull within 9 and going to commercial break Beth Mowins said "Gonzaga in trouble in Portland" or something to that effect. It was like what? Gonzaga is still up 9, they are hardly in trouble and they went on to win pretty easily.

Robzagnut
03-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Haters gotta hate.

I love Dickie V. He's knowledgeable. He's enthusiastic. He always has something good to say about GU. He's fun to listen to. He's great for the game of college basketball.

I was watching the UW game with one of my buddies who's a GU season ticket holder and Collins did something awesome and I said, "He's a diaper dandy!" He loved it and asked where I got that. I told him I got it from Dickie V and he texts me that phrase when Collins does something awesome.

Birddog
03-07-2017, 05:56 PM
From twitter just now:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6W621pUsAAcUBU.jpg

I pretty much mute the TV and listen to Huddy and Santangelo call the game on the adio. I'm slow mentally, so I enjoy the fact they call the action before the TV catches up with it.

I find the complaints about whoever calls the Zags games annoying. We're spoiled, folks.

That is a great image. Dicky just said something we all ought to love "I'm stealing money from Mickey Mouse"

Zags11
03-07-2017, 05:58 PM
That is a great image. Dicky just said something we all ought to love "I'm stealing money from Mickey Mouse"

He is a fun guy. Over the top? Yep. I like him.

Robzagnut
03-07-2017, 06:08 PM
And he said during the first half that he told Williams-Goss that if he wasn't a 1st round pick that he should go back to Gonzaga for his senior year.

How can you hate a guy who says that?!?!?

demian
03-07-2017, 06:20 PM
I am in the camp of those who like Dick Vitale

CDC84
03-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Arguing back and forth with Jeff Goodman about player of the year, coach of the year while the game has five minutes to go and SMC still has a chance to make a comeback win. Yeah, that's really important. Really important. I bet it never happens if Duke faces Louisville in the ACC tournament. Same thing with Joey Boy back in Philadelphia with his constant this team is out and this team is in. Nope, the WCC never deserves undivided attention. Every screen that is set is something to be analyzed. Every discussion between a coach and a ref is something to be analyzed. Stick to the God damn game!!!!!!!!!!!

Robzagnut
03-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Arguing back and forth with Jeff Goodman about player of the year, coach of the year while the game has five minutes to go and SMC still has a chance to make a comeback win. Yeah, that's really important. Really important. I bet it never happens if Duke faces Louisville in the ACC tournament. Same thing with Joey Boy back in Philadelphia with his constant this team is out and this team is in. Nope, the WCC never deserves undivided attention. Every screen that is set is something to be analyzed. Every discussion between a coach and a ref is something to be analyzed. Stick to the God damn game!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy was filling space when the game became a blowout.

He spent the whole game telling the whole world how good GU is and told everyone multiple times that Few is his coach of the year. And you're nitpicking when he's trying to inform the country about how good of a coach Few is during a 16 point GU lead? I think he knows bball enough to know what everyone else but you knew... THE GAME WAS OVER!

I loved every second of that dialogue because 1/3 was about coach Few and GU. He was a walking talking advertisement of the quality of GU basketball. And he defended his choice of Few as coach of the year with sound reasoning and excellent examples... it's not easy to repeat year after year, and 29-0 is extremely hard to accomplish. Or were you too busy seeing red to see the forest for the trees?

Haters gotta hate.

CDC84
03-07-2017, 08:15 PM
It wasn't a blow out. I knew and everyone knew that SMC was too good of a team to not stage a comeback, and they did so in the 2nd half. I was on the edge of my seat cursing the TV with 5 minutes left. A comeback was still possible with their 3 point shooters.

Talk about why SMC is playing bad. Talk about why GU is playing good. There is always something to talk about on the court. Every step a player takes has significant, profound meaning. This is why I love Billy Raff. He'll thrown in an Irish joke, and then it's right back to basketball. When the play by play guy asks him to talk about the top 25 he says well that team was good, wow did you see that great down screen that was set by Josh Hart? This is why it was executed properly. Stay with the game.

I didn't mind all the talk about how GU and SMC were good, but I didn't like all the other unnecessary garbage. As I said, I absolute cannot wait until ESPN silences his mike and puts him out to pasture in Florida with a Margarita. Hopefully several so he doesn't stage a Brett Favre like comeback.

Robzagnut
03-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Sorry dude, THE GAME WAS OVER!

And I sure hope all the CR@P about how it's hard to beat a team 3 times, because it's not true. At no time during this game did I think SMC was going to win. You're just looking for the bad in Dickie V. He knew it was over and was filling space. And that space was about the quality of coach Few. And you're complaining about it? He kept his filler notes, unlike the Santa Clara game.

jpn17
03-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Sorry dude, THE GAME WAS OVER!

And I sure hope all the CR@P about how it's hard to beat a team 3 times is really hard, because it's not true.

I don't remember if it was on here or somewhere else, but I do remember someone posting an article about when teams meet for a 3rd time the team that is 2-0 wins the third game around 70% of the time.

DixieZag
03-07-2017, 08:28 PM
How can someone look at that pic and at least not smile at a guy with that kind of love of life.

And, again, he's just so good to the fans everywhere that it's very hard for me to objectively evaluate anything about him.

I recall a kid-student halftime hitting a halfcourt shot for a semester of free tuition, he hit it. Dick V was jumping around as excited as the kid, and then said he would buy the books - and he did. He does not hoard his money, it is spread to good causes everywhere.

Robzagnut
03-07-2017, 08:31 PM
I don't remember if it was on here or somewhere else, but I do remember someone posting an article about when teams meet for a 3rd time the team that is 2-0 wins the third game around 70% of the time.

It's a pet peeve of mine. People who say how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in a season.

I've posted at least 5 times over the last six years on this forum internet links, to show stats for the NFL and NCAA basketball, articles to show that exact thing. If you beat a team twice you're most likely going to beat them a third time.

sittingon50
03-07-2017, 08:47 PM
I like Walton. There, I said (typed) it!:boxing:

gonstu
03-07-2017, 09:23 PM
I like Walton. There, I said (typed) it!:boxing:

I'll see your bet and raise: I like Heister.

sittingon50
03-07-2017, 09:37 PM
I'll see your bet and raise: I like Heister.

U-N-C-L-E!!!

ProVeeZag
03-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Nice pi$$in' match goin' on here. Wasn't expecting it after Zags' nail down another WCC championship banner! Just an observation...

Birddog
03-08-2017, 04:48 AM
I tend to agree with CDC on this. The Lunardi spot is pre arranged to come in at the under 8 mins segment. The babbling with Goodman was a huge distraction for me and I'm betting it was also plugged in for that time period regardless of the action on the court. I could tolerate the audio but shrinking the screen pissed me off. We're all paying ESPN around $6 a month for sports coverage and that's what I want. Cover the flipping game and leave the babbling to gaps in the action. I want to know who the foul was on, how many times did they fail to say or were late to say who a foul was on the last 2 nights? It's not all Vitale's fault, probably much of the stuff we criticize is the fault of the producer and director of the broadcast.

gu03alum
03-08-2017, 04:56 AM
One of my favorite parts of the game was when dickie v pretended to be a crying UW basketball fan with tears in their eyes over losing NWG.

TexasZag
03-08-2017, 05:03 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the owner of a mute button.

I wish there was a mute button on my wife. She absolutely destroyed watching Dirk reach the exclusive 30,000-point club last night.

TexasZag
03-08-2017, 05:13 AM
It's a pet peeve of mine. People who say how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in a season.

I've posted at least 5 times over the last six years on this forum internet links, to show stats for the NFL and NCAA basketball, articles to show that exact thing. If you beat a team twice you're most likely going to beat them a third time.

Speaking of the NFL, maybe that's where that idea came from originally. I seam to remember hearing it ad nauseam come playoff time, back during the days when the Cowboys really dominated the NFC east (70's and early/mid 90's).

B Wayne
03-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Vitale is the Kardasian of broadcasters....famous for being famous...

Respectfully disagree 100%. The quote accurately describes the Kardashians-I've heard it before.

Unlike the Kardashians Vitale has actually done things prior to being "famous". He was a D-1 head coach, I think at the University of Detroit. He then became an announcer and worked his way up the announcing heirarchy.

He actually knows basketball and can decently describe and evaluate x and o's and talent. The rest of any evaluation of Vitale is subjective. But to say he's famous for being famous, meaning that he has no actual talents, accomplishments or skills, is just plain wrong.