PDA

View Full Version : Dear Josh Perkins....

Murphy outgo lifer
03-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Dear Josh Perkins,

Most of us on this board and in the Gonzaga community love our Zags so much that we experience the euphoria and emotional strain that comes with a long season of this beautiful game. With every bounce of the ball, each of us, in our own way, tries to come to terms with the imperfection that is inherent in every sport. Some are loud and negative, others are positive and quiet, most are somewhere in-between but all are Zags. To become a Zag does not require education but rather passion and we are bound by our fierce love of our team.

As of late, you have been in the focus of our passion and it is for the simple reason that this team desperately needs you. Only those that have the potential that you posses could cause such a passionate response. Most of us recognize that this team is the best team in the nation when you are confidently playing your game.

You have not had the easiest road to this point but that is why I know you will come out of this even stronger. Have faith in yourself and know that you are a major reason why we have been so successful the last two seasons. When you play your game this team has everything it needs to accomplish it's goals.

Trust and believe. We need you.

Sincerely,

Zag

HRZag
03-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Here, here. +1

zagfan24
03-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Nice post, thanks. Josh has been and will continue to be an outstanding Zag. His lack of ego was instrumental in smoothly incorporating NWG into this team. Josh is a talented and hard-working player and I'm very hopeful that he will come up big for the Zags down the stretch.

It seems to me that some have a very difficult time making the distinction between being upset about a player's performance versus being upset at a player for his performance. IMO, the former requires a cold beer and the latter requires a dose of perspective.

gonzagafan62
03-06-2017, 11:19 AM
I'm here too.go zags! Win the WCC tournament

CDC84
03-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Here's to a healed ankle as well.

Zagricultural
03-06-2017, 12:39 PM
You encapsulated my thoughts exactly!

Hoping for a healthy ankle!

cjm720
03-06-2017, 02:28 PM
We need you Josh! Heal up!!

Mantua
03-06-2017, 02:32 PM
I don't think Josh needs this kind of pressure.

drvenkman05
03-06-2017, 03:05 PM
I can understand where you're coming from, but the goal of this is to let Josh know how much we love him and how much we support him.

HenneZag
03-06-2017, 03:29 PM
I think this is a fair post.

He just needs to stop thinking so much and use his instincts. He's trying to hard out there right now and he looks unsure of himself. Earlier this year he seemed sharper and confident, much more flow.

You got this buddy we know what your capable of.

He plays for the number 4 team in the country, pressure comes with it. We have to learn to play with the pressure.

zagdontzig
03-06-2017, 03:45 PM

THIS X a million. Thankfully, I don't subscribe to the idea the players get to read the board's awkward fanboy love letters, at least not during tournament play.

Hoopaholic
03-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Just play Josh we love what you bring to the team and filter out the rest of the background noise

Zagdawg
03-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 31s31 seconds ago
More
Josh Perkins (ankle) warming up, looks ready to go

Hoopaholic
03-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 31s31 seconds ago
More
Josh Perkins (ankle) warming up, looks ready to go

Sweeeeeeeeeet. Made my day to this point. Now win

Zagceo
03-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Huddy said the same on pre game radio

ZagOD7540
03-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Family member in Vegas just texted me saying Perkins going through warm ups and looks good. Burying some 3s!

Zagdawg
03-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Jim Meehan‏ @SRJimm 7m7 minutes ago
More
Santa Clara's KJ Feagin isn't suited up.

ZagOD7540
03-06-2017, 04:46 PM
Just was told Perkins buried a 3 leaving the floor and the crowd went crazy for him. Hope he has a great night!

Goshzagit
03-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Just was told Perkins buried a 3 leaving the floor and the crowd went crazy for him. Hope he has a great night!

Best of luck to him going fwd.

We need him.

Put up another goose egg tonight.

Just unnecessary deep shots, & passing when he should be shooting, hesistant, etc.

Needs to shake it off. And soon.

DixieZag
03-06-2017, 07:07 PM
He's just camped inside his own head at this point. Worrisome.

The last foul called on him when their big was wandering all over the place like an offensive tackle was one of the worst calls I've seen this year. Absurd.

U Zig, I Zag
03-06-2017, 07:08 PM
He's deferring to NWG, which may be the right thing at times - but they need to get Josh going! Backdoor cuts, something off the corners off a screen. Anything to get him rolling.

jazzdelmar
03-06-2017, 07:11 PM
No more letters, please.

Goshzagit
03-06-2017, 07:13 PM
He's deferring to NWG, which may be the right thing at times - but they need to get Josh going! Backdoor cuts, something off the corners off a screen. Anything to get him rolling.

Good point.

We need them BOTH rolling to advance.

They played so well, so interchangeably, so effortlessly to start the season.

The reason we beat Santa Clara by 30 & 40 pts earlier...and just 10 tonight.

Goshzagit
03-06-2017, 07:14 PM

The last foul called on him when their big was wandering all over the place like an offensive tackle was one of the worst calls I've seen this year. Absurd.

It was worse than the Silas no call after replay.

If anything it was foul on big man. The ref couldnt even see around the big when he made the call.

Perkins didnt even touch him.

Awful call. Perks just looked defeated at that point.

drvenkman05
03-06-2017, 07:15 PM
That is the kind of crap that we don't need yet only happens in the WCC.

Zagricultural
03-06-2017, 07:16 PM

I was outraged at that call, but can you imagine how excited the ridiculous WCC Ref's are to try and create an upset in the championship game. Probably going to go lay money on the game, manipulate the score, and cash a fat check :)

maynard g krebs
03-06-2017, 07:29 PM
I was outraged at that call, but can you imagine how excited the ridiculous WCC Ref's are to try and create an upset in the championship game. Probably going to go lay money on the game, manipulate the score, and cash a fat check :)

Just keepin it close for national tv. SC played well but that was still a 15 pt win w/ honest calls.

MDABE80
03-06-2017, 07:33 PM
No contribution on National TV. PF=4. Leading to SC points?
Needs an overhaul.
Good thing Silas didn't get injured on the block every one fawned over. Terrible No call. Most dangerous foul seen this year. I am shocked nothing was called.

DixieZag
03-06-2017, 07:35 PM
It was worse than the Silas no call after replay.

If anything it was foul on big man. The ref couldnt even see around the big when he made the call.

Perkins didnt even touch him.

Awful call. Perks just looked defeated at that point.

When the whistle blew, I clapped my hands and yelled "Finally!" fouling the guy out (which they weren't going to do).

They call it on Josh and I just laughed and said "WCC." Man, they want 3 teams in awfully bad. I'd be terrified to be SMC tonight.

Just don't know what to say about Josh, though.

ZagOD7540
03-06-2017, 07:38 PM
When the whistle blew, I clapped my hands and yelled "Finally!" fouling the guy out (which they weren't going to do).

They call it on Josh and I just laughed and said "WCC." Man, they want 3 teams in awfully bad. I'd be terrified to be SMC tonight.

Just don't know what to say about Josh, though.

The moving screens were awful.

Goshzagit
03-06-2017, 07:42 PM
The moving screens were awful.

Clearly allowed in WCC play.

Hell, our bigs dont even touch the opponent on ball screens, although I wish they would...Collins sets a nice screen yet Karno only uses his presence.

Then, opposing bigs hump our players legs like an unneutured dog.

LMUZAG
03-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Moving screens and hip pointers were allowed all night. Terrible. You could tell Few was upset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zagceo
03-06-2017, 08:32 PM
Sorry all you Zag fans are starting to sound like BYU fans .....complaining about refs even in victory.

Ezag
03-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Sorry all you Zag fans are starting to sound like BYU fans .....complaining about refs even in victory.

I agree! Go back to baggin' on Melson and Perkins....btw, what is up with those 2?

Zags11
03-06-2017, 08:44 PM
:horse:
I agree! Go back to baggin' on Melson and Perkins....btw, what is up with those 2?

Goshzagit
03-06-2017, 08:49 PM

apparently not just this board.

ESPN Jay Will and Coach Greenberg called out Perkins and Melson during SMC/BYU halftime.

"If Gonzaga hopes to advance to Final 4, they must get more from Perkins and Melson, and supporting cast…"

Guess the talking heads have caught on to Melson and Perkins lackluster play as of late -- almost checked out.

ZagaZags
03-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Maybe Josh isn't feeling well. Two straight games with zero points. I hope all is well for him tomorrow.

DixieZag
03-06-2017, 09:27 PM

No, it doesn't sound like BYU fans imo.

There is one specific aspect of the game that the eyes simply can't be argued much with No one's talking about overall horrible officiating, or that it cost us a close game versus blowout. There is one other call complained about and it's the celebrated block on Melson that the replay showed him going through both of Melson's arms.

I think when there's a specific aspect that's pretty obvious, and it's not used as an excuse, but simply a point, it's nowhere near the whine coming from them.

MDABE80
03-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Maybe Josh isn't feeling well. Two straight games with zero points. I hope all is well for him tomorrow.

Nobody's picking on Josh or Silas. Josh only had 2 pts in the BYU game and those 49 secs worth of TO's were obviously anyone.

Silas looks like he's playing casual. He should have been the one to stop Brownridge tonight like he has before. I cannot figure these two out but we need some hardnosed play the rest of the way in.

TravelinZag
03-06-2017, 09:48 PM
There will be opportunities yet this season for each of the players to shine and be proud. We know, and they know what they are capable of, and I believe each will have "shining moments" in the games to come.

ProVeeZag
03-06-2017, 09:56 PM
There will be opportunities yet this season for each of the players to shine and be proud. We know, and they know what they are capable of, and I believe each will have "shining moments" in the games to come.

The opportunities to shine will be there ... how they will respond is anyone's guess at this point.

BBzag
03-06-2017, 11:18 PM
apparently not just this board.

ESPN Jay Will and Coach Greenberg called out Perkins and Melson during SMC/BYU halftime.

"If Gonzaga hopes to advance to Final 4, they must get more from Perkins and Melson, and supporting cast…"

Guess the talking heads have caught on to Melson and Perkins lackluster play as of late -- almost checked out.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/mar/06/gonzaga-guards-silas-melson-josh-perkins-struggle-/

ZagsGoZags
03-07-2017, 01:01 AM
I like the posters who write almost a letter of love and support for Josh.
When the feet or ankle is not the same, and somewhat recent, it changes the entire feel of the jump shot. Right now Josh needs to find ways to contribute until his body feels normal. We have seen him shoot the 3 at a decent rate for two years now, up to last month.
I think he is also deflated for running into a crowd and losing control of the ball too much recently. He didn't try one drive tonight.
Melson played almost half of the second half with 4 fouls, I assumed because Josh was having a bad night.

zagdontzig
03-07-2017, 07:23 AM
No more letters, please.

This.

bballbeachbum
03-07-2017, 07:28 AM
he forced zero passes last night and had no turnovers and took his turns on Brownridge defensively while other Zags had great matchups and went off. I'll take it as he works his way back one game at a time and rebuilds himself. If he can keep building one game at a time, I think that would be a great response from him right now

LongIslandZagFan
03-07-2017, 07:49 AM

Sorry... but there was at least 3 blatant moving screens. I mean blatant... right in front of the cameras and the refs. The worst was the one that Perkins got called for a foul on. If you set a screen, feet must be firmly in place. You don't get to walk around like that guys was... all night.

HenneZag
03-07-2017, 08:20 AM
We need Perkins to be a contributor for us to be successful. His body language is horrible right now, he doesn't seem engaged in the game, almost like he's given up or being pouty. Pressure comes with the territory now at GU and we need him to put all the negativity behind him and just play! We know what Perkins can do when he's on.

bartruff1
03-07-2017, 08:50 AM
Try as I might, I can't hear the voices....that are rigging everything....:(

Goshzagit
03-13-2017, 06:37 AM
Josh is key vs BCS teams, at least he was in OOC play.

In our games vs:

Florida -- 18 pts, 3 ast, 2 stls

Iowa St -- 12 pts, 5 ast, 2 stls

Arizona -- 16 pts, 2 ast, 2 stls

Tennessee -- 15 pts, 4 rebs

Washington -- 8 pts, 5 asts, 5 rebs

He was also 9-18 from 3pt (50%) vs above teams.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the last 3 games COMBINED Perks totaled 6 pts, 4 asts, 4 rebs. (that's 2 ppg, 1 apg, 1 rpg)

I realize NWG has become more of the focus, yet our largest margin of victory is when NWG scores less than his average this season.

We need Josh to assert himself, especially shooting and passing. He made the game open up for our bigs and for Nigel vs P5 teams. I hope to see him play confident and loose once again, instead of deferring so quickly. Yes, he had 1 horrible night vs BYU, and been a shell of himself since.

If Josh doesn't step up in NCAA play, its the difference b/w winning and losing vs teams above. Imagine if Josh went 0-fer vs Florida in 2nd half, or Iowa St, or even Arizona?

We're not a 1 seed without him.

The difference b/w a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 is huge. Integral players like Josh need to step up and play to their potential.

cjm720
03-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Perks is the xfactor....play strong and good things will happen.

75Zag
03-13-2017, 07:24 AM
Perhaps it might not be absolutely necessary for every Bulldog to be playing at 100% of their skill level for the first game or two, but IF we make it to the '16, it will take every player playing at maximum talent for GU to move forward past ND or whoever we might play at that level, and it will take every Bulldog to be playing at 100% to move forward past AZ or whoever we might play to get to the FF. I have faith in ALL of our players to bring the talent and focus and BB knowledge that we need.

See you in SLC - and San Jose - Go Bulldogs!

Zagricultural
03-13-2017, 08:37 AM
I truly believe Josh is the X-factor for this team. He has struggled to stay consistently agressive; but when he is hunting his shot, driving the lane, and dropping dimes we are unstoppable.

I want to see him play with the Joy we saw earlier in the year. Just let it rip!