PDA

View Full Version : Why not move our tourney to March 8-11?

thebigsmoove
03-03-2017, 03:55 AM
I dont understand why we have to play our tourney the weekend before selection sunday? There are numerous benefits to playing the weekend of. Namely keeping our guys and gals fresh and ready to go for the tourney, but also pushing our conference season back a week so that we can fit another non conference game into the schedule in late december-early january. Thoughts?

gonzagafan62
03-03-2017, 04:16 AM
We've won 8 straight first round games, looking at possibly 3 straight S16, I like our tourney where it is, and I'm sure WCC does too. It comes down to a few things:

1. Own broadcast slot on national television
2. ESPN
3. Money

TexasZagFan
03-03-2017, 04:48 AM
I dont understand why we have to play our tourney the weekend before selection sunday? There are numerous benefits to playing the weekend of. Namely keeping our guys and gals fresh and ready to go for the tourney, but also pushing our conference season back a week so that we can fit another non conference game into the schedule in late december-early january. Thoughts?

Pac-12 AND Mountain West AND WAC are in Vegas from Mar 8-11. I'd say that's your answer.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules/conference-tournament

raise the zag
03-03-2017, 04:59 AM
I used to feel the same way, yet realized our Tourney would be swallowed up by the P5 tournaments. Nice to be featured on ESPN every game this time of year.

Also, considering our 1st Round performances over the last 8 years have been pretty outstanding no matter our seed, is telling. Its working.

The Coaching staff is the first to admit they changed their pre-tournament routine years ago. I recall Coach Few discussing this a handful of years ago.

Lastly, I couldn't be happier for time off: Tillie's broken finger, Perkins' on-going back tightness, J3's sore back, & NWG's nagging ankle.

We will play 3 games in 4 days (2 of the 3 should be blow-outs, although USF plays us fairly well).

Our last game is Tuesday night, followed by playing the next Thurs or Friday (hoping earlier).

I like it, especially this year.

DixieZag
03-03-2017, 05:07 AM
I wondered that myself as I thought about how much I disliked starting conference right at Christmas. I don't know if being married to Vegas or the other tournaments should totally preclude us, there seems to be enough venues in Vegas to handle another, or maybe moving it to Reno or somewhere else ought to be considered,

Or even just starting WCC tourn Mond night, Champ game Thurs/Fri, and playing last reg season game on a Thurs.

Not a ton of good/obvious answers, but it's sure frustrating starting conf so early, having so many bottom-feeding conf games, and playing our tournament with a pretty long break between last conf game, first WCC tourney game, first NCAA tourney game. Though, we do sure win that first NCAA game a lot.

strikenowhere
03-03-2017, 05:22 AM
I, too, used to think that the tournament should be closer to Selection Sunday. However, the team has done very well over the years in the 1st round, so it doesn't seem to be affecting their initial performance. Plus, as others have pointed out, the WCC tournament gets to own the evening timeslot and doesn't have to butt heads with Power 5 conference games, which would probably draw more viewers.

Also, I think the long breaks between end of conference - WCC Tournament and WCC Tournament - 1st Round NCAAs are a boon particularly this year due to how beat up everyone on the team is: Perkins' back, NWG's various minor ailments (?), William's knee, Tillie's finger, Albert's ankle, and Karnowski's back (nothing wrong that I know of, just preventative)

sittingon50
03-03-2017, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=thebigsmoove;1293472]I dont understand why we have to play our tourney the weekend before selection sunday?

Because E$PN says so.

ProVeeZag
03-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Lots of valid reasons to leave it as is. The hardest part for us fans is waiting that last 8 days before 1st round starts. Thanks for all the good info posted in this thread.

TexasZagFan
03-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Lots of valid reasons to leave it as is. The hardest part for us fans is waiting that last 8 days before 1st round starts. Thanks for all the good info posted in this thread.

For me, the wait isn't all that difficult. There are so many games during that week, and it's usually spring break in our ISD. I may take a couple of days off and go camping with the boys. Get 'em out of town and away from video games.

Hoopaholic
03-03-2017, 09:24 AM
I wondered that myself as I thought about how much I disliked starting conference right at Christmas. I don't know if being married to Vegas or the other tournaments should totally preclude us, there seems to be enough venues in Vegas to handle another, or maybe moving it to Reno or somewhere else ought to be considered,

Or even just starting WCC tourn Mond night, Champ game Thurs/Fri, and playing last reg season game on a Thurs.

Not a ton of good/obvious answers, but it's sure frustrating starting conf so early, having so many bottom-feeding conf games, and playing our tournament with a pretty long break between last conf game, first WCC tourney game, first NCAA tourney game. Though, we do sure win that first NCAA game a lot.

Wonder if attendance would suffer. Not sure how many can take entire week off to go vegas

bartruff1
03-03-2017, 10:25 AM
I think it is the best thing (marketing) that has happened to the WCC in 20 years....except for Gonzaga of course.. TV is the medium and the medium is the message...

TexasZagFan
03-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Wonder if attendance would suffer. Not sure how many can take entire week off to go vegas

Spring Break should be scheduled during the week of the tournament. Wouldn't have mattered to those of us in ROTC: first four days of the break spent at Fort Lewis.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2017, 10:58 AM
WCC tourney is now the big gun on first weekend of Champ week. Think that works for the WCC. Don't see a real reason to change it... already pushing into Tuesday with BYU. I think that works fine... more time for players to heal up some.

DixieZag
03-03-2017, 11:41 AM

That's a great point.

spike_jr
03-03-2017, 04:35 PM

Heck Hoop, that is why I never go. If you wanted to be sure to see GU play in all 3 games, you would have to leave on Friday and not come home until Wednesday. In essence, you have to take a week off as it is. If/When BYU leaves, ideally, the conference would go back to the double bye for the 1 & 2 seeds and not take Sunday off.

GoZags
03-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Because E$PN says so.

Ahem ... bingo.

bartruff1
03-03-2017, 05:06 PM
The opening round games are starting on BYU TV at 6:00 pm

Hoopaholic
03-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Heck Hoop, that is why I never go. If you wanted to be sure to see GU play in all 3 games, you would have to leave on Friday and not come home until Wednesday. In essence, you have to take a week off as it is. If/When BYU leaves, ideally, the conference would go back to the double bye for the 1 & 2 seeds and not take Sunday off.

They don't play till Saturday night and last game us Tuesday. 3 business days in current configuration

And yes no activity on Sunday bugs me

jazzdelmar
03-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Spring Break should be scheduled during the week of the tournament. Wouldn't have mattered to those of us in ROTC: first four days of the break spent at Fort Lewis.

North Fort?

TexasZagFan
03-04-2017, 10:59 AM
North Fort?

I think so, it was over 40 years ago, and most of the memories are unpleasant. :lmao:

Doing the rope drop from 40 feet into 50 degree water does not fit my definition of "fun."