Niagara @ Quinnipiac 2:00pm
Houston @ #18 Cinn 4pm ESPN2
Iowa @ #22 Wisconsin 6pm ESPN

Bubble Watch

Nebraska @ Minnesota 4pm ESPN
FL Intl @ Mid Tenn St 4:30 pm
UTA @ LA-Monroe 5pm
Cal @ Utah 8pm ESPNU

Full Slate: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule/_/date/20170302/group/50

Safe travels to all

ProVeeZag
03-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Very thin slate of games tonight, but I did take note that Niagara is playing tonight.

The subject of Niagara basketball always brings to mind Calvin Murphy, who averaged over 33 pts per game during his career at Niagara. A quick Google search reveals Murphy is the shortest player (5'9") elected to the NBA Hall of Fame. He once made 78 consecutive free throws and led the NBA in free throw percentage by making 206 of 215 attempts (95.8%) in a full season. Amazing!

JPW314159
03-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Check out Calvin Murphy in the NBA Legends Game in February 1989 in Houston. After the game they played Rod Stewart's "Forever Young". Don't know a link, but I was there with chicken skin. An amazing ending.

RenoZag
03-02-2017, 06:47 PM
I don't think I would be happy to see SMU in the Zags' bracket come March 12.

RenoZag
03-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Cinncy (26-4) beats Houston

Minnesota wins their 8th straight, taking down Nebraska. Gophers are 23 - 7

Middle Tenn wins, now 26 - 4, 1st place in C-USA

RenoZag
03-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Iowa gets a win @ Wisconsin.

SWZag
03-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Very thin slate of games tonight, but I did take note that Niagara is playing tonight.

The subject of Niagara basketball always brings to mind Calvin Murphy, who averaged over 33 pts per game during his career at Niagara. A quick Google search reveals Murphy is the shortest player (5'9") elected to the NBA Hall of Fame. He once made 78 consecutive free throws and led the NBA in free throw percentage by making 206 of 215 attempts (95.8%) in a full season. Amazing!

Thanks for sharing!!

seacatfan
03-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Cal got hammered by Utah, only scored 44. Not doing themselves any favors. Not sure if Colorado is even on the bubble but they beat Stanford by 19 tonight.

Wisconsin is flopping down the home stretch. Big 10 in generally is totally meh this year. Is there even one good team there? Maybe Purdue but I'm not convinced.

ProVeeZag
03-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Iowa gets a win @ Wisconsin.

Badgers literally imploded in the final minute+ with critical turnovers. Iowa scores last 7 points to win by 2. Wisconsin staggering to the finish line in the Big 10 in front of home crowd in Madison.

DixieZag
03-03-2017, 05:31 AM
Amazing down year for BIG. So many years they have so many teams that no one really wants to play. PAC so top heavy, big 3 very little else. ACC will likely get 43 teams in tourney.

raise the zag
03-03-2017, 05:48 AM
Amazing down year for BIG. So many years they have so many teams that no one really wants to play. PAC so top heavy, big 3 very little else. ACC will likely get 43 teams in tourney.

someone on ESPN radio said they expect 11, yes 11! teams from the ACC in the NCAA.

Teams like Georgia Tech, Clemson, & Wake Forest are being considered as bubble teams. They have LOSING records in their conference, but all they care about is who they beat.

Meanwhile, Wichita St is talked about in the same breath.

All this "if they were in this conference, they wouldn't have the same record" is BS and only one side of the coin.

First, Gonzaga…or Wich St…or even St Marys would have MORE chances to pile up a few quality wins, because thats all the committee really cares about. Who you beat.

The above teams have all been blown out by bad teams. So, more margin for error for P5 teams. Unless you are Duke or Kentucky or Mich St, you are protected in OOC play as well.

Clemson is 5-12 in ACC, but since they beat a couple good teams, they are being considered for an at-large birth. Wich St has only 4 losses, but also on the bubble.

IF Gonzaga was in the B12, for instance, we would have more than 1 loss, but what about more Top 50 wins? We are ALREADY tied for the most in the nation…what then?

Yes, more losses, but who cares, right?

There is no team in the ACC with less than 7 losses but they are all top seeds and the teams with 15 losses are being considered for an at-large?!?

Please.

Why no one points that out is silly.

Gonzaga or teams like SMC or Wich St aren't allowed to lose. Have one bad night. All the P5 teams have…

It should work both ways.

Zags have also won every game on the road. Every single one. 16-0. No one else can say that.

We lost AT home -- considering its one loss, is it better to lose at home or win every game on the road?? See my point.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-03-2017, 06:34 AM
Great post raise. This is why I hope Zags (and Gaels and Shockers and numerous other non Power 5 conference schools) get to knock off some ACC teams in the tourney

TexasZagFan
03-03-2017, 06:54 AM
Great post raise. This is why I hope Zags (and Gaels and Shockers and numerous other non Power 5 conference schools) get to knock off some ACC teams in the tourney

Dittos to raise! If Clemson does get in (without winning the autobid), the Committee will have no credibility. They're 15-14, and I don't see very many "nice" wins in their record.

There's one stat that I'll be looking at, the win-loss differential. There is no team to receive an at-large bid with less than a four win differential. Clemson should have two going into the ACC tourney. May they be dispatched early in the process.

TexasZagFan
03-03-2017, 07:14 AM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/02/27/

No team has earned an at-large berth with 15 losses, and just six have nabbed one with 14. Syracuse has proved it can play with, and beat, Final Four-quality competition, but the 14-loss threshold is a clear line of demarcation. It’s certainly possible the selection committee makes a bit of history, especially with this year’s bubble, but that’s not a risk the Orange want to take. That makes Saturday’s game with Georgia Tech a must-win.

DixieZag
03-03-2017, 07:53 AM
someone on ESPN radio said they expect 11, yes 11! teams from the ACC in the NCAA.

Teams like Georgia Tech, Clemson, & Wake Forest are being considered as bubble teams. They have LOSING records in their conference, but all they care about is who they beat.

Meanwhile, Wichita St is talked about in the same breath.

All this "if they were in this conference, they wouldn't have the same record" is BS and only one side of the coin.

First, Gonzaga…or Wich St…or even St Marys would have MORE chances to pile up a few quality wins, because thats all the committee really cares about. Who you beat.

The above teams have all been blown out by bad teams. So, more margin for error for P5 teams. Unless you are Duke or Kentucky or Mich St, you are protected in OOC play as well.

Clemson is 5-12 in ACC, but since they beat a couple good teams, they are being considered for an at-large birth. Wich St has only 4 losses, but also on the bubble.

IF Gonzaga was in the B12, for instance, we would have more than 1 loss, but what about more Top 50 wins? We are ALREADY tied for the most in the nation…what then?

Yes, more losses, but who cares, right?

There is no team in the ACC with less than 7 losses but they are all top seeds and the teams with 15 losses are being considered for an at-large?!?

Please.

Why no one points that out is silly.

Gonzaga or teams like SMC or Wich St aren't allowed to lose. Have one bad night. All the P5 teams have…

It should work both ways.

Zags have also won every game on the road. Every single one. 16-0. No one else can say that.

We lost AT home -- considering its one loss, is it better to lose at home or win every game on the road?? See my point.

Absolutely. This year with what everyone is calling such a 'soft bubble' ought to be real telling. If they take those teams you listed over mids with 27 wins or something, it's a travesty.

If somehow SMC gets knocked off before the championship game (unlikely), I hope that doesn't make them in trouble.

bartruff1
03-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Does Baylor have to pay per diem for the parole officers for away games ???

bartruff1
03-03-2017, 07:56 AM
The Gaels don't need to pack their toothbrushes or extra underwear ...

TexasZagFan
03-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Does Baylor have to pay per diem for the parole officers for away games ???

Only for football...stay away from the women's hoops coach, she might smack you in the face.

bartruff1
03-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Only for football...stay away from the women's hoops coach, she might smack you in the face.

She might have made a fatal error....if I was her, I would quit apologizing and go on a long trip someplace where no one knows her name..

TexasZagFan
03-03-2017, 09:17 AM
She might have made a fatal error....if I was her, I would quit apologizing and go on a long trip someplace where no one knows her name..

All she has to do is leave Waco...lol. Personally, I'd head for Fredericksburg in the Hill Country, home of numerous craft breweries and wineries.

ProVeeZag
03-03-2017, 09:23 AM

There comes a time when it's best to just stop talking. For Ms. Mulkey, unfortunately, that train left the station days ago.

sittingon50
03-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Badgers literally imploded in the final minute+ with critical turnovers. Iowa scores last 7 points to win by 2. Wisconsin staggering to the finish line in the Big 10 in front of home crowd in Madison.

This was pretty cool.

Little brother hits game winner vs his 2 older brothers team on their old court. Don't see it on this clip, but brothers were going nuts at the end. Blood is thicker than water.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400914947